1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

9 minutes ago, alecandstuff said:

Not sure, as they’ve proven some of their records can just be a grab bag with no central theme, I’m more so thinking for this single. Is 1981 confirmed to be on the album? To me, I’m assuming if it is it’ll be rewritten because what we heard was lacking a few cylinders so to speak 😅

I was thinking maybe that's why they played 1981 so early, because it's not being used for the album anymore. Kinda makes sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I was thinking maybe that's why they played 1981 so early, because it's not being used for the album anymore. Kinda makes sense.

Maybe it'll be a B-side. I wonder how long before the tracklist leaks

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, alecandstuff said:

Just throwing another prediction out there, but I don’t think any of the zombie/horror themes are in any way related to Halloween and instead will have more to do with the title “The American Dream Is Killing Me” with allusions to how modern America feels like some sort of waking nightmare, hence the zombies/general visuals we’ve seen thus far. 

If that ends up being true, color me doubly excited as this would increase the likelihood that we might be looking at another political record, or at the very least a record with some of that in it. 

Also yeah, the sound of the production from the clips we’ve heard so far are very promising! I love how full and big everything sounds so far

I mean, we've seen them do exactly that in 'Back in The USA' so maybe they decided to pick that idea back up and run with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rev said:

I mean, we've seen them do exactly that in 'Back in The USA' so maybe they decided to pick that idea back up and run with it.

True that!  

1981 could also end up being one of those songs that they just end up sitting on for years with no official release, a la songs like “Olivia” or “Minnesota Girl”. Personally that’s my theory for that song anyway, but if it did get reworked I’d love to see it get an official release too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doggins said:

So they seem to be done with the 1972 theme... Wonder what happened there

I think they started saying 1972 simply because of their birth year, and then had a Trilogy train of thought like "hey, that could be an album name".     But unlike 2012 Green Day, they decided to keep workshopping it and working on songs.   I bet it wasn't even that the six songs weren't firing on a trillion cylinders, but more that Billie mined a massive idea out of the process and said hey, we may have found an Idiot buried under here.   Can we vault the work we've done and make this cohesive record that I am now envisioning?   

Also, they are an album band.  Eps are stupid and annoying, only one rung above live albums and demos (shutters).   It's possible they did this intentionally - working on an EP of whatever to spark the creative juices.   

• Like 4

On 10/12/2023 at 3:00 PM, Sanity Loan said:

I'm sure the guys and everyone involved with the making of the album are so happy promotion has finally started. The album has been done for quite a while and has been just sitting there.

Sanity Loan was thereeeee

8 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Maybe it'll be a B-side. I wonder how long before the tracklist leaks

No 1981 was on the cancelled record. We might see it on the new Foxboro album called “Three Time’s A Charm!”

9 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I think they started saying 1972 simply because of their birth year, and then had a Trilogy train of thought like "hey, that could be an album name".     But unlike 2012 Green Day, they decided to keep workshopping it and working on songs.   I bet it wasn't even that the six songs weren't firing on a trillion cylinders, but more that Billie mined a massive idea out of the process and said hey, we may have found an Idiot buried under here.   Can we vault the work we've done and make this cohesive record that I am now envisioning?   

Also, they are an album band.  Eps are stupid and annoying, only one rung above live albums and demos (shutters).   It's possible they did this intentionally - working on an EP of whatever to spark the creative juices.   

I truly love your ability to take silly concepts and intertwine them with actual real opinions.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

No 1981 was on the cancelled record. We might see it on the new Foxboro album called “Three Time’s A Charm!”

I truly love your ability to take silly concepts and intertwine them with actual real opinions.

Right now, I'm googling "Three Time's A Charm" by Foxboro Hot Tubs on the 1 out of 5 chance that it's real.    And I'm thinking about what direction Foxboro Hot Tubs could go in.   They don't have to stay the same.   ain't it a shame.   Here's to the painkillers oh yeah, on a Saturday morning at 8:48AM.     Metal Hot Tubs, now THERE'S an idea.    Van Foxboro Hot Tubs in honor of Van Halen, perhaps?    The shreddage would be.... wait a minute.  wait ONE MINUTE.   The Foxboro Hot Tubs are not Green Day.  

I don't think 1981, One Eyed Hooligan or anything we've heard yet will be on the album.    This era is so mysterious that even the music in the TEASER could be a total misdirect.       What if there are not zombies?   No brick through the glass?  It's all a velvet blanket covering the dark and mysterious GD14??????????

Oh yeah! 

1981 is definitely on the record, they wouldn’t be working on a song on the studio and then also playing it live just to scrap it.

What makes me confused is why they chose to play it instead of the upcoming single. Feels like a random choice if there’s any political arc/general story on the record, which makes me assume there isn’t. Imagine if the first song off American Idiot they ever played live was Extraordinary Girl?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, okotavio said:

1981 is definitely on the record, they wouldn’t be working on a song on the studio and then also playing it live just to scrap it.

What makes me confused is why they chose to play it instead of the upcoming single. Feels like a random choice if there’s any political arc/general story on the record, which makes me assume there isn’t. Imagine if the first song off American Idiot they ever played live was Extraordinary Girl?

I think She's a Rebel is a better analogy for 1981.    But yeah, I imagined and wow.   

13 minutes ago, okotavio said:

Maybe 1981 is just an album filler

11 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Maybe 1981 is just an album filler

The way the song start strong feel like the continuation of a song. American Dream / 1981 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pcj said:

That would be awesome. It's back in 1996 when the band recorded an acoustic session. The live performance at Shoreland Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California, 18 amazing acoustic tracks. Thankfully later released on bootleg CD. Of course no stories between tracks. But way overdue another acoustic session please.

So gotta mention Welcome to My Panic with Billie Joe telling us his very emotional life story interspersed with remixed classics, some of them being acoustic. Maybe a WTMP2.

Must mention Billie Joe's guitar playing diversity, he's amazing on Foreverly album. 

I hope @That Dude didn't read this for your sake.

Dude that was 1999 it wasn't a session it was a benefit show and it was the same 9 songs two different days not 18 songs. And welcome to my panic didn't have any  remixed songs what are you talking about

53 minutes ago, nopride84 said:

Dude that was 1999 it wasn't a session it was a benefit show and it was the same 9 songs two different days not 18 songs. And welcome to my panic didn't have any  remixed songs what are you talking about

18 hours ago, pcj said:

It's back in 1996 when the band recorded an acoustic session. The live performance at Shoreland Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California, 18 amazing acoustic tracks. Thankfully later released on bootleg CD. Of course no stories between tracks. But way overdue another acoustic session please.

Facts

Night 1 // Night 2

14 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The fact that we're wondering whether the first song we ever hear from the album is "filler" is honestly not a good sign

I know the first song/single we hear from an album isn't always the best but I honestly wouldn't consider any of their lead singles to be filler. And ik 1981 might not be the lead single but still, a bad sign

Does anyone know if Green Day renegotiated their contract with Warner to give them more freedom to record the music they want? 

14 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The fact that we're wondering whether the first song we ever hear from the album is "filler" is honestly not a good sign

I know the first song/single we hear from an album isn't always the best but I honestly wouldn't consider any of their lead singles to be filler. And ik 1981 might not be the lead single but still, a bad sign

One bands filler is another bands killer

The “1981” is a b-side option is the best case scenario. Maybe they scrapped it with the 1972 project and just played it for fun. Sort of like when they dropped Cigarettes and Valentines live randomly years later. Maybe copium, but 1981 also doesn’t seem to fit the rest of the theming we are seeing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flynn said:

I think when we hear 1981 as it ties into the storyline of the album we will appreciate it more than just a random live version from July I seriously doubt it's gonna sound as bland as that when we hear all the bells and whistles rob and chris added to it.

Somebody in the Discord suggested that this album could be a social commentary on modern American society, comparing it to a dystopian/apocalyptic world!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I mean, that’s all in your head. You have heard one single snippet of a completely produced song. It’s all speculation and the imagination up to this point. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Somebody in the Discord suggested that this album could be a social commentary on modern American society, comparing it to a dystopian/apocalyptic world!!!

People on here postulated that too. And on the other forum and Reddit.

Could be a cool concept, albeit very naive and not factual.

• AlissaGoesRAWR locked this topic