New Song: "Here Comes the Shock"

Sanity Loan

Just now, BillieMyLove said:

That interpretation just makes no sense to me because I just don't know why they would do that. 

Because Green Day themselves make no sense at all lol

• Like 1

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Because Green Day themselves make no sense at all lol

Do you think maybe you just don't understand them? I don't think they got where they are by not making sense. And if this is how you feel about them, why are you even a fan? Why are you on this site? LOL

57 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

To me, the point if we are talking about drugs is Billie being honest about his struggles. I think that is important in a time when no one is OK and a lot of people are turning to substances. You have to drag these issues out into the light if you want to do anything about them. You can't hide them away in silence and shame. 

That’s a good point and maybe there’s some inherent value in it on its own, but I’m not sure how much of a conscious effort it is on Billie’s part. It seems to me that rather than that, he writes songs about how much fun he’s having, he’s being edgy with the coke references, while we look at it going “drugs do make a number on you innit” which quite likely isn’t the point he wanted to get across.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

What? AHAHAHAHAHA omg
Green Day isn't perfect. I love this band to death. But that doesn't mean everything they do is pure perfection. Some people are blinded because it's their favorite band and I know we can't say anything bad about Billie or Green Day on GDC but sometime you gotta be honest. It's okay for those who like HCTS or even FOAM. But I don't. Does that mean I'm not a fan? Nope.

OK, you are making more sense right now. I agree that not everything they do is perfect either. No one is perfect. But I guess I just don't see this song as the worst thing they ever did LOL. And while they aren't perfect, I also feel like people overreact in really nasty ways in the opposite direction whenever anything isn't exactly what they wanted.

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That’s a good point and maybe there’s some inherent value in it on its own, but I’m not sure how much of a conscious effort it is on Billie’s part. It seems to me that rather than that, he writes songs about how much fun he’s having, he’s being edgy with the coke references, while we look at it going “drugs do make a number on you innit” which quite likely isn’t the point he wanted to get across.

But is he really having fun LOL? Like, didn't we just have a big thread about how unhappy he seems LOL? No one is having fun right now, and I am sure he is just as pissed as the rest of us and is expressing that in his music. 

Anyway, none of us can be sure what is in his head. Maybe he will do an interview soon and tell us all what he intended the song to be about.

5 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I’m sorry but I think you’re straying from the subject instead of responding to me. I say tell me what criteria do I judge this song by to make it good.

The fact that you say we should cut him some slack because his brain might be a little fried from drug use doesn’t make it any better.

For the record, I do cut this song a lot of slack by assuming it’s a b-side/something they gave to the NHL. 

Huh? I don’t know what you’re quoting and if I said that to you, I said it in good fun. Easy now.

:)

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Looks like it yeah, musician who started a "Punk Rock Aerobics" exercise program

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilken_Mancini

I think she just did some youtube videos because of lockdown (she only has a few videos and a few hundred views) but has been doing the program for a long time. I wonder how they heard of her/thought of the idea of having her do the video.

Let me float the conspiracy theory that GD planned the channel. Lol. I’m such a dick for even doing that aren’t I?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

But is he really having fun LOL? Like, didn't we just have a big thread about how unhappy he seems LOL? No one is having fun right now, and I am sure he is just as pissed as the rest of us and is expressing that in his music. 

Anyway, none of us can be sure what is in his head. Maybe he will do an interview soon and tell us all what he intended the song to be about.

If I was to guess, no, I wouldn't say he seems very happy. But my point is that it seems to me that this is how we interpret his songs rather than what he intends to say. I mean, when we get an interview, he'll say something about a pArTy aLbUM. So, especially with songs that are vague and open to interpretation, it's hard to tell if the way we understand it is the same as his. 

9 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Huh? I don’t know what you’re quoting and if I said that to you, I said it in good fun. Easy now.

8 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

the man has partied hard enough for 30 men his size so you’ll have to forgive a few lyrics. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

If I was to guess, no, I wouldn't say he seems very happy. But my point is that it seems to me that this is how we interpret his songs rather than what he intends to say. I mean, when we get an interview, he'll say something about a pArTy aLbUM. So, especially with songs that are vague and open to interpretation, it's hard to tell if the way we understand it is the same as his. 

I just posted some older interviews of them talking about their songwriting in the random GD thoughts thread that may shed some light even if they are a up to a decade old. I have a feeling they aren't in party mode right now, but again I agree we won't know until he tells us. 

Please do another interview soon Billie. 😭

20 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Also, you guys arguing about whether every song is about something or not. Didn't Billie literally say "Idk wtf that song's about" referring to Nuclear Family

Here we go. Thanks.

• Like 1

If this song would not have come out under the old deal, I have to wonder would we have gotten American Idiot if not for Warner deciding C&V wasn’t good enough?  There is an article that describes Rob C being sent by his bosses to Billie’s house to ask him if it was their best work and to be honest with himself so this is public knowledge.  Without Warner (or any quality control that is not your closest family and friends that are afraid to critique you) they might have just put out C&V and been done with it. So there are pros and cons when it comes to artistic freedom going forward. It’s hard to judge your own work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

You can say "technically, it's subjective" and technically you'd be right. 

14 hours ago, BillieMyLove said:

Maybe he will do an interview soon and tell us all what he intended the song to be about.

I hope he doesn't. I don't think lyrics should be explained.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Music absolutely is subjective as everyone has their own opinions. But Music, and Art as a whole can be looked at objectively too.

I would say that banging on a piano randomly generally doesn't sound as good as a nice melodic playing by someone who has mastered the skill of piano-playing. And while that's technically my opinion, I think it's generally agreeable that the playing of music by the professional player of the instrument is objectively better than the person who's never played the instrument before.

You can say "technically, it's subjective" and technically you'd be right. But I think we're just arguing semantics at that point.

Also, you guys arguing about whether every song is about something or not. Didn't Billie literally say "Idk wtf that song's about" referring to Nuclear Family :lol:

Actually it would not be semantics and it would never be anything different than what it is. 

Honestly I don’t even purport to know what you are all on about with subjective and objective but even if we agree that most people would like the sounding of a piano less than Beethoven’s 5th DOES NOT mean it’s objective that the piano banging isn’t as good.

Simply by definition and what is definition but semantics? It is literally semantics.

Scientifically I’ll again use this extreme fact. The sun will come up tomorrow is subjective and only a theory even though it’s based on a lifetime of seeing the sun rise every day. There are no facts in science and you can’t  prove a negative. These things are one in the same. I can only prove you’re standing there but I can’t prove you’re not standing there. Maybe there is some mystical force at work making you invisible.

Science and reality don’t bend to our whims.

Okay, I confess: I did the Here Comes the Shock Punkrock Aerobic Workout from the video twice and it's actually really fun😂 It's definitely a satire of all those perfect YouTube-fitness-stars like Pamela Reif and Co. who got even more famous and rich through Covid. I like the idea behind that. I'm still not the biggest fan of the song but with the video and the workout, it works :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

The fact that something is a theory and can be proved wrong doesn’t mean it’s subjective.

It is also a fact that not everything in science can be proven incorrect. The fact is that every morning the sun will rise, until 8 min after the sun dies. The exception is if you are in an area and time frame experiencing the polar nights.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Actually it would not be semantics and it would never be anything different than what it is. 

Honestly I don’t even purport to know what you are all on about with subjective and objective but even if we agree that most people would like the sounding of a piano less than Beethoven’s 5th DOES NOT mean it’s objective that the piano banging isn’t as good.

Simply by definition and what is definition but semantics? It is literally semantics.

Scientifically I’ll again use this extreme fact. The sun will come up tomorrow is subjective and only a theory even though it’s based on a lifetime of seeing the sun rise every day. There are no facts in science and you can’t  prove a negative. These things are one in the same. I can only prove you’re standing there but I can’t prove you’re not standing there. Maybe there is some mystical force at work making you invisible.

Science and reality don’t bend to our whims.

You are a very deep thinker. You hit on something that in mathematics we would call the inability to prove a nullity (i.e. you can't prove something does NOT exist). Also, proof of anything is based on some other "fact"; in fact I think we are heading toward the theory of general relativity here LOL. Every observed fact is based on it being relative to something else; eventually you do work back to something that is absolute, but such things are few and far between. A Green Day song is probably not one of them.

Bet nobody though a thread about a Green Day song would end up discussing theories of the universe. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

So HCTS is about a subjective science theory with some exceptions?

Probably.

I wonder if this song would have as much hate if it was never announced or released as a single and just happened to appear on either Father Of All, Money Money 2020 pt 2 or the next Green Day album.

how would y’all have felt if popper punk wasn’t on the network album and just happened to be the nhl single we just got lmaooo

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Duhhan1023 said:

I just heard the new offspring's single, as bad as it is I still prefer HCTS to be honest.. 

No way. But I guess it's subjective 😂

• Haha 3