New Song: "Here Comes the Shock"

Sanity Loan

On 2/23/2021 at 5:39 AM, Alf said:

Because the trilogy is 90's Green Day with a terrible production

*decent production (not great but serviceable)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only listened to this once so far and I feel kind of bad about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slave To The Network said:

I've only listened to this once so far and I feel kind of bad about it.

The Network barged in and stole their thunder. They even stole their video 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have listened to this song about 2-3 times since its release. I just tried again.
Nope. Really disappointed. It's the first new Green Day song that I don't put on repeat. Even Father of All... was always playing when they putted it out last year.

• Like 1

Same for me. It’s just sleight. I used to give Billie a pass on the repetitive choruses but it’s coming up on 10 years since we started getting them more and more. Kill The DJ at least was a parody/critique of early 2010’s dance pop. But for HCTS I can’t tell quite what this song is actually about. The production is better than on FOAM but that feels like a bit of an empty improvement when the writing is a step down.

If Billie is doing coke, I’d honestly hope we’d get better work out of it. I kinda miss when Green Day wrote songs about stuff.

EDIT: and the single artwork looks like ass. Dreaming looked pretty bland too. I find it really hard to believe Billie can’t find a nice visual artist to work with per era. 

Edited by Gwen Stacy
  • Like 1

Yeah even though I only liked a few tracks from FOAM, I still gave all the tracks from the album many many listens (excluding IWATT which I've thought was trash since first listen but still gave the track a fair shot), hoping the tracks would grow on me. I've not wanted to give this track anymore listens

So the song has 846,000+ streams right now on Spotify.  Compare that to the Network song from 2020 with the most streams which is Trans Am at 224,000+.  Looks like Green Day are still Green Day no matter what they put out. 

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

So the song has 846,000+ streams right now on Spotify.  Compare that to the Network song from 2020 with the most streams which is Trans Am at 224,000+.  Looks like Green Day are still Green Day no matter what they put out. 

That's pretty bland for a band as big as GD. Just look at the streams of the foos latest album or even weezer. It's sad actually..

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don‘t have spotify. How is Threat Level Midnight performing? I thought that the Fallon performance gave them a boost

16 minutes ago, Flashback said:

I don‘t have spotify. How is Threat Level Midnight performing? I thought that the Fallon performance gave them a boost

It might have a bit but other than the tracks from the Trans Am EP, the rest of the album tracks range from 40k-100k streams.  TLM wasn’t noticeably higher (I’m not on my PC to check now but it wasn’t super high)

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I mean it's just a random song put out between albums for a sports promotion. It's not like it's a lead new album single or whatever. Not a good one to judge much from imo.

No, I wasn’t comparing it to other Green Day songs but I was just curious with all the criticism whether it was doing a little worse or a lot worse. I’m actually surprised it’s gotten as many plays as it has. Many of us admit we stopped listening to it pretty soon after it came out. And since the consensus on The Network music is so positive and TLM was performed on Fallon and is their other most recent output (but definitely not Green Day 😜), I wanted to see how they compared.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It might have a bit but other than the tracks from the Trans Am EP, the rest of the album tracks range from 40k-100k streams.  TLM wasn’t noticeably higher (I’m not on my PC to check now but it wasn’t super high)

83K right now.  It was at 76K when I looked a couple nights ago.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squashie said:

Youtube streams as of 3:02pm CST (usa) March 4th:

again that's pretty low. Compare that to Greta Van Fleet's official videos or again, the Foos. What happened to all the commercial success they used to have? What changed? I think they're not adapting to this age very well

1 hour ago, lukastjimmy said:

again that's pretty low. Compare that to Greta Van Fleet's official videos or again, the Foos. What happened to all the commercial success they used to have? What changed? I think they're not adapting to this age very well

It wasn’t a “radio” release. It was for their NHL deal. 

and Rock/punk/whatever isn’t the popularity it once was. 

2 hours ago, Squashie said:

It wasn’t a “radio” release. It was for their NHL deal. 

and Rock/punk/whatever isn’t the popularity it once was. 

most people consume music through streaming platforms though, not the radio. And sure, you're right but then again.. MGK's last album (pseudo pop punk) was number 1. Clearly something's happening in regards of popularity and it didn't bothered me before (rev rad era), but it does now because  it seems like it's affecting their performance and stuff. I mean they even fired their whole career manager, that was a dumb move in my opinion and well, crush isn't helping as we thought it would, i'm pretty dissapointed in this era, mostly because i know they still have the spark for great songs (graffitia is a great example) but it looks like something is in the way of their success. They need to step up their game or they'll perish like some other big bands did

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lukastjimmy said:

most people consume music through streaming platforms though, not the radio. And sure, you're right but then again.. MGK's last album (pseudo pop punk) was number 1. Clearly something's happening in regards of popularity and it didn't bothered me before (rev rad era), but it does now because  it seems like it's affecting their performance and stuff. I mean they even fired their whole career manager, that was a dumb move in my opinion and well, crush isn't helping as we thought it would, i'm pretty dissapointed in this era, mostly because i know they still have the spark for great songs (graffitia is a great example) but it looks like something is in the way of their success. They need to step up their game or they'll perish like some other big bands did

I put radio in quotes for a reason. Im well aware of how music is consumed these days. They didn’t promote it because it was for the NhL - who held exclusive rights to its release. 
A career ebs and flows. They’re not going to be huge all of the time. They’re still going to tour (when able again) and still going to make the music they want to. 

their management has no influence on the songs and we can’t - in my mind - really judge crush because the first release with them was scuttled due to covid. And I would never put a bands success on who their managers are. They are gate keepers, time managers and negotiators. 

I will continue to listen to this band regardless of their “Top 40” status. As I’ve said before, I will listen, absorb and judge what they release and whether it goes “viral” or number 1 for weeks makes no difference to me. 

at least they are still making new music and still the same 3 members they have been since 1990. Many bands aren’t.

• Like 1