New Song: "Here Comes the Shock"

Sanity Loan

15 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

Honestly, I give no thought to the references to coke. My thought is Billie is a writer, he can write about whatever and it doesn't necessarily have to be about his life. I get where the concern is coming from, but this is just how I see it.

I completely agree that he is allowed to write about whatever he wants. I find it ironic that the people who complain about overanalyzing the song are the first to overanalyze the coke sniff LOL. But having said that, we do know that Billie writes about things important to him. I am sure this has meaning, but I still don't see it as celebratory. This whole song is not celebratory. If you listen carefully to the lyrics, they are the words of someone who is pissed, dressed up musically to sound like something fun. The coke sniff comes right after the "This isn't rock n' roll; this is genocide" line. I doubt that's a coincidence and I think there is a connection there that we are missing. 

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I know perfectly well what he went to rehab for but that had nothing to do with the point I was making. There is no appropriate use of cocaine. Any use is abuse. Just because you didn’t go to rehab for it doesn’t make it any less of a concern (it’s maybe even more of a concern)

I think you two are saying the same thing just in different ways. I think everyone here knows cocaine is bad and no one is supporting its use; if they were, they wouldn't all be so concerned about this.

24 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There is no appropriate use of cocaine. Any use is abuse. Just because you didn’t go to rehab for it doesn’t make it any less of a concern (it’s maybe even more of a concern)

When did I say I didn't agree with that? 

Anyway I think as others in this thread have suggested it could be sniffing poppers or cocaine, we don't know. And before anyone says anything yes, ALL drugs and ALL addictions are are bad. Don't do drugs kids ✌️ 

See, I took the sniff to be a pandemic reference when I heard it, same idea as “ring a ring of roses, atishoo, atishoo type thing”.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There is no appropriate use of cocaine. Any use is abuse. Just because you didn’t go to rehab for it doesn’t make it any less of a concern (it’s maybe even more of a concern)

I don't think someone who's been to rehab needs to be told that, whether it's what they went to rehab for or not.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jengd said:

See, I took the sniff to be a pandemic reference when I heard it, same idea as “ring a ring of roses, atishoo, atishoo type thing”.  

You could be onto something. Could be deliberately ambiguous....

5 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Damn well I learn that's it's subjective cause I love the song and hate HCTS!

Finally we agree on something. You're gonna go far, kid.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jengd said:

It’s a line. Listen with headphones the sound goes in a straight line from left to right. It’s not a sniff it’s a snort in a line. (Followed by “here comes the shock” which would be the jolt after)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s a line. Listen with headphones the sound goes in a straight line from left to right. It’s not a sniff it’s a snort in a line.

You seem to know a lot about this subject for someone who is very anti-drug. 🤣

I mean, I can definitely hear what you hear, but I think it is possible they might be playing with multiple concepts here. I also didn't think sniffling was a classic covid symptom--gasping for air/wheezing would be more appropriate--but then again the covid symptom form I have to fill out every day for work does ask about head congestion, so I guess it is. 

2 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

You seem to know a lot about this subject for someone who is very anti-drug. 🤣

I used to enjoy this drug a couple of years ago and it's definitively a line 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I used to enjoy this drug a couple of years ago and it's definitively a line 😂

I wasn't talking to you, but OK. 🤣

On a more serious note, congrats on your recovery. :) 

Just now, BillieMyLove said:

I wasn't talking to you, but OK. 🤣

On a more serious note, congrats on your recovery. :) 

Nah I know but pacejunkie was right that's why I responded.
And am I really recovered? 😵

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Nah I know but pacejunkie was right that's why I responded.
And am I really recovered? 😵

Well, congrats on your recovery progress then? Seriously though, you are really brave talking about these things and I am glad you are taking steps to be healthier.

37 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I’d like to add as a general point - I don’t think this is neccessarily about being anti-drug. I would say I’m very much pro-drug when it comes to issues like decriminalization or use, but that’s not mutually exclusive with approaching it with carefulness. 

👆👆👆 Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

I’d like to add as a general point - I don’t think this is neccessarily about being anti-drug. I would say I’m very much pro-drug when it comes to issues like decriminalization or use, but that’s not mutually exclusive with approaching it with carefulness. 

Nice point!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Complete agreement. We need treatment for this stuff and a public health approach, not prisons. 

12 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

What does it mean approaching it with carefulness when it comes to music? Maybe I am misunderstanding your specific point here, but I’ll use what I get from it to explain my view over this thing, cause I completely disagree with most of the things that are being said. 

I’ll try to explain myself, taking for granted that the song is quite explicitly hinting at the sniffing of some sort of drugs, which I think it’s a pretty fair assumption. 
First of all, writing and singing about drug use or abuse is never a bad thing to me. It’s not stigmatizing, hiding and censoring the drug topic as an art subject, however it is approached, that drug problems get solved. Both for the author of the art piece, and for its audience. I don’t know if this song is “inspired by real events”, if these are a current topic for someone in the band or close to it, and I don’t think anyone in here has the tools to determine this. But even if it is, the fact that this comes out in the form of a song is a positive thing to me, not a negative one. One can dislike the song, nothing to say about it, but I don’t see the drama around it. If there is a drama it exists prior to the song composition, and the song can only contribute to solve the drama, not amplify it. If the problem exists, keep existing, or increase it’s not fault of the music, but of things happening in society and/or in the personal life of an individual. Both in the case of the artist and of its audience. A song can only improve the situation creating a tool to be heard, or at least something to feel connected to and/or represented by. And lacking the possibility to express and connect yourself to something in these cases can be the worst scenario.

Which leads me to the second point a want to make: a song about drugs is never a light hearted song, and it’s almost impossible for it to share a light hearted message even when it’s light hearted in its structure or apparent message. Even a four lines silly song as now I wanna sniff some glue from The Ramones has behind it a deeper meaning about peer and social pressure, and it isn’t actually an hymn to the sniffing of glue. There are artists and bands that built their fame writing ballads about heroin, and those songs are not actually an hymn to heroin, they are a painting of social and personal realities. There are bourgeois newspapers that blamed the velvet underground for the heroin epidemic, but the velvet underground were just describing a reality with their songs, not creating it.
This song is nothing different from a Ramones song about sniffing glue, you can dislike it, you can stop reading its meaning when it gets to the line sound, but there’s obviously more behind it, even in its light, simple, and messy lyrics. And I think for an artist is always a good thing to take that more out, and share it with the world. Even if in it’s appearance is just the description a state of joy, energy or relief due to the use of drugs (which I don’t think is necessarily the case for this song). Also because that’s part of the experience of taking drugs, and denying or hiding it does not make any good or solve any problem. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

What does it mean approaching it with carefulness when it comes to music? Maybe I am misunderstand your specific point here, but I’ll use what I get from it to explain my view over this thing, cause I completely disagree with most of the things that are being said. 

I’ll try to explain myself, taking for granted that the song is quite explicitly hinting at the sniffing of some sort of drugs, which I think it’s a pretty fair assumption. 
First of all, writing and singing about drug use or abuse is never a bad thing to me. It’s not stigmatizing, hiding and censoring the drug topic as an art subject, however it is approached, that drug problems get solved. Both for the author of the art piece, and for its audience. I don’t know if this song is “inspired by real events”, if these are a current topic for someone in the band or close to it, and I don’t think anyone in here has the tools to determine this. But even if it is, the fact that this comes out in the form of a song is a positive thing to me, not a negative one. One can dislike the song, nothing to say about it, but I don’t see the drama around it. If there is a drama it exists prior to the song composition, and the song can only contribute to solve the drama, not amplify it. If the problem exists, keep existing, or increase it’s not fault of the music, but of things happening in society and/or in the personal life of an individual. Both in the case of the artist and of its audience. A song can only improve the situation creating a tool to be heard, or at least something to feel connected to and/or represented by. And lacking the possibility to express and connect yourself to something in these cases can be the worst scenario.

Which leads me to the second point a want to make: a song about drugs is never a light hearted song, and it’s almost impossible for it to share a light hearted message even when it’s light hearted in its structure or apparent message. Even a four lines silly song as now I wanna sniff some glue from The Ramones has behind it a deeper meaning about peer and social pressure, and it isn’t actually an hymn to the sniffing of glue. There are artists and bands that built their fame writing ballads about heroin, and those songs are not actually an hymn to heroin, they are a painting of social and personal realities. There are bourgeois newspapers that blamed the velvet underground for the heroin epidemic, but the velvet underground were just describing a reality with their songs, not creating it.
This song is nothing different from a Ramones song about sniffing glue, you can dislike it, you can stop reading its meaning when it gets to the line sound, but there’s obviously more behind it, even in its light, simple, and messy lyrics. And I think for an artist is always a good thing to take that more out, and share it with the world. Even if it’s in appearance is just the description a state of joy, energy or relief due to the use of drugs (which I don’t necessarily is the case for this song). Also because that’s part of the experience of taking drugs, and denying or hiding it does not make any good or solve any problem. 

Love this. I completely agree that these things are not talked about light-heartedly. As I have said many times, I do not feel this is a light-hearted song. It's got a lot of heavy stuff hidden in it, and the implied coke reference is one of those things. Also agree with your take on music. Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" and the Rolling Stone's "Mother's Little Helper" are two of the songs that always come to mind for me when I think of music addressing the harsh realities of drug use, obviously there are many more examples, and I fully agree that these things need to be addressed in public. Honestly talking about the struggles many people face will do a lot more to help then some ridiculous nonsense like telling people to "just say no" to drugs. 

On 2/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, angryasn said:

they also made a lot of prednisone jokes during revrad interviews so maybe they just pick a drug a la “tiny wheel” and that’s the joke they run with 

Yeah hopefully they're just dragging a joke lol I have friends who do the same like won't stop dragging the same joke over and over😂

On 2/20/2021 at 6:34 PM, Matt. said:

The music video is sure interesting haha😂

25 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

What does it mean approaching it with carefulness when it comes to music? Maybe I am misunderstand your specific point here, but I’ll use what I get from it to explain my view over this thing, cause I completely disagree with most of the things that are being said. 

I wasn’t speaking in relation with music, what I meant is that I’m not against doing drugs, while at the same time I don’t want to downplay the risks. That’s a general idea that actually doesn’t directly have anything to do with this song, I’m just saying that I’m not coming from the dRuG’s aRe bAd perspective.

• Like 1

it''s a good thing no one here is tootin' rails, this thread's become a real bummer over the last few pages...regardless of your POV on substance use/abuse

🎶..Here comes the shart..🎶:dance:

• Like 4

Drugs/alcohol will always be part of GD's lyrics. Whether it's referencing the past or the present. Everyone talks about wanting Billie to write honest lyrics. Well this is him being honest. Whether he's taking it for fun, pain or otherwise.

It's like that episode title of the West Wing. Let Billie Be Billie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

Obviously no drug use is healthy, no matter what your stance on drugs is (mine is that they should be decriminalised and use shouldn't be taboo) but not all drug use is addiction. An alcoholic can take cocaine and not be addicted to it - I know two who can and I'd be much more concerned if they picked up a drink because that is what they're addicted to. Similarly, a cocaine addict might be able to drink without it becoming an issue. A meth addict might be able to handle cocaine. Another person might not be able to handle any addictive substance.

The reason it's relevant that Billie went to rehab for booze and prescription drugs is because that is what he's told us he's addicted to. Maybe he is addicted to cocaine. We don't know. If he is, that's obviously serious and I don't think anyone who uses this forum is stupid enough to deny that. You can be concerned that he's singing about drugs at all, sure, but the fact we know nothing about Billie's supposed cocaine use is why it's none of our business and doesn't necessarily need pages of discussion, because it may not even be an issue.

Is anyone ever going to point out what all these supposed cocaine references on Father of All are, anyway? The only one I've noticed is "yeyo." The cocaine billboard obviously had nothing to do with the band and a pile of it in a photoshoot, again, doesn't equal use, let alone addiction.

I don’t think the point of this entire conversation was to discuss whether or not he’s addicted to cocaine.

• Like 1