New Song: "Here Comes the Shock"

Sanity Loan

While we’re at the topic of what the song is about, the part that goes “sniffffffff and here comes the shock” gives it away pretty easily imo :P

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

While we’re at the topic of what the song is about, the part that goes “sniffffffff and here comes the shock” gives it away pretty easily imo :P

I know talking about Billie + Coke isn't well received on GDC but Billie need to help us a little bit too on that part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

As long as it's Coke Zero.

2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It’s Diet Coke

Snorting either one sounds painful

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I stand by my belief that every Green Day song has a meaning.  It may not be deep or philosophical (or even literal) but it always expresses a feeling borne out of life events.  It's never about nothing.  So trying to parse out the meaning is part of the fun.  Just because he often deliberately obscures the meaning doesn't make it about nothing. Not ever.

What a ridiculous point. Of course all the songs mean something. So does every song ever made. People are questioning if that meaning is worth having a song about.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ellen Caulfield said:

The video was a song by Gene Vincent called Be-Bop-A-Lula :) I was just curious what the lyrics in HCTS are, so I googled Be-Bop-A-Lula and found this great song :D 

See, Green Day gives us much more than their own music, but a deeper appreciation for other musicians as well.  

Also, Punk Aerobics.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

What a ridiculous point. Of course all the songs mean something. So does every song ever made. People are questioning if that meaning is worth having a song about.

My disappointment has been that because of the band's decision to focus more on the more standard rock&roll/power pop genre, lyrics are taken at their absolute literal and surface level meaning when I think there is more going on if we dig a little deeper under the surface. 

Though, can't say I'm a fan of the coke sniffing bit. 

Edited by GRNSTR10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GRNSTR10 said:

I would end with that, while I know many people are frustrated or disappointed in the song, that this read of the song makes it more interesting to me and is fun test case of how to smuggle a protest song through corporate sponsorship into the masses. 

This is the same guy who wrote King For a Day to get frat boys to sing a song about cross dressing.  Getting corporations to sponsor a protest song would be fitting too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don’t know... it just sounds so vague. I agree it’s another of the generally rebelious songs, but that’s why it falls flat in my opinion.

I’m also not sure how much I buy the Warner theory, because it seems like they’ve just renegotiated their deal/probably own their masters, which is a cool thing, but most likely what happened was that their lawyer negotiated a new contract not some kind of wild drama with Billie throwing a tantruum on the floor in Warner CEO’s office.

I don't know. I kinda like the idea of Billie throwing a tantrum on the floor. Sounds hilarious and hot. 🤣

But no, I feel you. Your take is probably right, but even so I think they forced Warner's hand a little and are probably now gloating over this. Feels like something they would do. :) 

6 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I can't place it, but the tune these lyrics are sung to definitely sounds recycled from a recent song. Can someone help?

Be-Bop-a-Lula, baby
Annie, get your gun

From seconds 7-11 there is a filter on a guitar that they played on a ton of AI and TCBD songs. Other than that there are a few things that I hear that are GD but define “recently”.

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

^ this. Plus if, as someone suggested, the new deal means less quality control, there’s less to be excited about.

Well wouldn’t that depend on who’s quality you are siding with? Quality is subjective after all.

15 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

From seconds 7-11 there is a filter on a guitar that they played on a ton of AI and TCBD songs. Other than that there are a few things that I hear that are GD but define “recently”.

I would say anything post-AI is "recent" in my mind but wow, I kind of forget that 21CB is OLD now. It came out the year I graduated high school. :lol: 

• Haha 1

Just now, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I would say anything post-AI is "recent" in my mind but wow, I kind of forget that 21CB is OLD now. It came out the year I graduated high school. :lol: 

Oh wow, also the same year I graduated high school. We're the same age LOL.

3 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Ha! I know how you feel. To me AI is still BRAND spanking new. 

32 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It is subjective until you get to a category where it’s not anymore because you come to the same conclusion no matter what. If it’s a matter of consensus, then this song isn’t very good at all, since so few people seem to be excited about it.  If it’s a matter of creating something unique, then it also isn’t great, since a big part of the lyrics is recycled from older songs. If the point is in writing a nice catchy melody, then it’s also questionable, since a common complaint is that it’s annoyingly repetitive. So whose idea of quality has it that HCTS is a quality song? What standard do I need to hold it up to to come to the conclusion that it’s good?

Nah it's always subjective.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Snorting either one sounds painful

It’s not that bad. Just stick a straw into that can and have a blast.

41 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Not really... Some things just aren’t enjoyable in a vast majority of instances. I’m not saying you can’t find a person who likes this song, but you can also find someone who enjoys electric shocks into their dick. It doesn’t change that the general consensus would be that electrocuting your genitals sucks.

Ahahaha wow. Here comes the shock in your dick

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Ahahaha wow. Here comes the shock in your dick

Here cums my cock

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

but you can also find someone who enjoys electric shocks into their dick

You found me

• Haha 1