New Song: "Here Comes the Shock"

Sanity Loan

8 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

What is the truth. (Missing question mark not forgotten).

Don’t need to track down the lyrics. Just clock lyrics on Apple Music or Amazon Music. Either way, your point is fairly on. It’s a call to arms. They literally say “this isn’t rock n roll this is genocide”. They need to sell records but they are making their own choices now. WB alone would never have allowed this to be the first release but in the scheme of anger raging inside of Billie, it doesn’t matter. He truly wants a revolution.

I think that also speaks to a broader state of affairs in the world at the moment too.

Also, are we positive they left Warner? There seem to be conflicting accounts on this.

1 minute ago, LaughingClock said:

Well that’s the thing. Look what Bush brought out of him. Now he’s been sitting on a pandemic and a desire to not mention Trump. Also nobody to answer to. Green Day are going to lose some and gain some fans but I promise there is good music. As usual, my return here is usually timed pretty well. ;)

I think he has done a good job of talking about this fucked up world in recent years even without mentioning Trump, especially on RevRad and even on FOAM. I think he is getting ready to let out some more rage.

4 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

I think he has done a good job of talking about this fucked up world in recent years even without mentioning Trump, especially on RevRad and even on FOAM. I think he is getting ready to let out some more rage.

Indeed. And who isn’t? Fuck, give me Bush and Nixon. These are going to be known, hopefully, as the bad ole days and we need the legends of rock who are currently running things to immortalize it. It won’t be done with PLUR. (Peace, Love, Unity, Respect), the mantra of the “rave” scene for the uninitiated.

“This ain’t rock and roll it’s genocide. We got the numbers. Gonna rumble in the streets. We’re screaming bloody murder. Annie get your gun, we’re gonna shoot it baby. We’re gonna do some damage and some damage will be done. Here comes the shock”.  The music just gets in the way. I promise you’ll love some music to come. Even more now.  :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

As I said. One BJA disagrees with you and since he composed, wrote and released the song and has about 30+ years on making music, I would say, he’s fine to do what he (they) want. He doesn’t do this for the money anymore but I think you knew that.

That makes it so much worse, though. Paradoxically, I can accept he gives his less successful efforts to NHL to make easy money, but accepting the fact that he might consider it a good idea to release this song just for the sake of it is a lot harder.

2 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That makes it so much worse, though. Paradoxically, I can accept he gives his less successful efforts to NHL to make easy money, but accepting the fact that he might consider it a good idea to release this song just for the sake of it is a lot harder.

I think he released it to make a point. We all know he doesn't need the money LOL. I honestly don't why he did this NHL thing (feeling like this was Warner's idea for publicity), but I have a feeling there is some deeper protest in this song than we realized at first blush, and as I keep saying I absolutely love the return of their signature sound and hope they keep on this path. I think good things lie ahead.

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That would be your choice though, which you are entitled to. Hey Billie also never plays what I think is the best live song ever “Horseshoes & Handgrenades”.  They had to beg him to keep it on the album.

• Like 2

(And yet the email I just got from Green Day promoting the song and video still says copyright 2021 Warner Records so do they still maintain any control at all?)

I really really don't think there's much more to this song than what we get on the surface, but the speculation is fun to read! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

“First release” of what? Of a new independent deal or for more forthcoming music? 

This is actually a really interesting interpretation of the lyrics and if you read it to apply to their musical independence from the corporate machine committing “genocide” against musicians it makes a lot more sense. “We got the numbers” could mean they have enough of a fanbase that they’re free to take their fans and revolt. “Truth to power from the barrio” etc. (The Barrio used to be how they referred to the Latino Jingletown neighborhood their old studio was in). I’m liking this a lot more now if it’s a middle finger to Warner.  Even “you’re doing it fucking wrong” can be shame on you to the corporate industry.  It even makes the wholesale lines taken from past songs seem more deliberate like they’re taking their music back line by line. 

Damn this is good

See????????????????????? I told you the song had to be about something LOL. We can also see the return of their signature sound as a revolt against the stupid FOAM sound that they may have been pressured into for that album. Billie wouldn't write a song to be about nothing, and if he didn't he certainly wouldn't release it as a stand-alone piece. 

I love how we talk about Billie and forget that there are (at least two) other people in this band who have a say in what happens LOL.

I loved the barrio line from the first moment I heard it. Took it as a Homecoming reference as first but obviously this adds another layer. 

1 minute ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I prefer when the song is good on the first listen and not having to analyze each words during a week to maybe find a link between Green Day and Warner to make the song a little bit better.

That’s how you and I differ I guess. One of my favorite things about some songwriters is they way their songs cam still reveal new things to me after 100 or 1000 listens. There are Elvis Costello songs I’ve been listening to for decades that still surprise me for references and meaning I didn’t get before because I was too young, a different person, didn’t know the reference whatever. Green Day songs do that too for me.  A good song grows up with you.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Makes me wonder how much they got that these terms were acceptable.

Thinking about the video and the NHL deal... they should have used some footage of San Jose Sharks scoring.

hahaha NHL released a teaser with the song playing that's a million times better to watch than offficial music video

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I prefer when the song is good on the first listen and not having to analyze each words during a week to maybe find a link between Green Day and Warner to make the song a little bit better.

I mean, I thought the song was good on the first listen and said so LOL. I just think we are finding more layers of meaning. I find more layers of meaning whenever I listen to any of their songs. I think in this one they were deliberately being a little sneaky and burying the true message under the ridiculousness of something like "Punk Rock Aerobics." 🤣

That’s how you and I differ I guess. One of my favorite things about some songwriters is they way their songs cam still reveal new things to me after 100 or 1000 listens. There are Elvis Costello songs I’ve been listening to for decades that still surprise me for references and meaning I didn’t get before because I was too young, a different person, didn’t know the reference whatever. Green Day songs do that too for me.  A good song grows up with you.

I absolutely love this take. I feel this is the only true way you can appreciate the brilliance of a songwriter of Billie's caliber. 

I am hardly a songwriter but could I ask you to extend this same courtesy of taking time to suss out the true meaning of my posts in the fangirls thread before getting upset about them? Not trying to start shit; I mean this as an honest good faith question because I like you and you seem like a decent person. 

Yeah and it's good too. Music is different for everyone. And for me what I like about a song is the melody more than the lyrics.
If I need to heard a song 100x before liking the song then maybe it's not that good.
Bang Bang and BITUSA were the last GD song I love on the first listen.

• Like 3

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Yeah and it's good too. Music is different for everyone. And for me what I like about a song is the melody more than the lyrics.
If I need to heard a song 100x before liking the song then maybe it's not that good.
Bang Bang and BITUSA were the last GD song I love on the first listen.

Can't lie, those are two brilliant songs.

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

“First release” of what? Of a new independent deal or for more forthcoming music? 

First release since releasing music as Green Day after, to put lightly, a lot had happened.

Aleo. Your interpretation of things to come and are was impressive even though I removed it from the quote.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

See????????????????????? I told you the song had to be about something LOL. We can also see the return of their signature sound as a revolt against the stupid FOAM sound that they may have been pressured into for that album. Billie wouldn't write a song to be about nothing, and if he didn't he certainly wouldn't release it as a stand-alone piece. 

I love how we talk about Billie and forget that there are (at least two) other people in this band who have a say in what happens LOL.

I loved the barrio line from the first moment I heard it. Took it as a Homecoming reference as first but obviously this adds another layer. 

The lady represents the last of the American girl or viva la Gloria? And that iggy punch is definitely for Donald trump 

11 minutes ago, legendary said:

hahaha NHL released a teaser with the song playing that's a million times better to watch than offficial music video

Visually it’s better yeah and also sounds better as well when it’s barely hearable.

I think the band wanted to release this song, simple as that. They didn’t just write FRA for the hockey stuff, went along with an album in the same style. It’s also a style we know billie likes. If they wanted to write another Holiday for this they could have, but they didn’t. I’m just at the point where I’m accepting this is where Green Day is at now, and while I’m not a fan of it, I’m not going to try and make excuses as to why they released this. 

• Like 2

I can't place it, but the tune these lyrics are sung to definitely sounds recycled from a recent song. Can someone help?

Be-Bop-a-Lula, baby
Annie, get your gun

44 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

I think he released it to make a point. We all know he doesn't need the money LOL. I honestly don't why he did this NHL thing (feeling like this was Warner's idea for publicity), but I have a feeling there is some deeper protest in this song than we realized at first blush, and as I keep saying I absolutely love the return of their signature sound and hope they keep on this path. I think good things lie ahead.

So what’s the point? Like I said, I have no problem with him releasing a not so great song as a b-side or just to have something to put out while the band can’t tour because of coronavirus or with licensing it to NHL, but I just can’t see any deeper meaning to it, which again, isn’t a problem, I just don’t see it :P

42 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Right? I like the theory but deep down I know this is just a throwaway song

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I can't place it, but the tune these lyrics are sung to definitely sounds recycled from a recent song. Can someone help?

Be-Bop-a-Lula, baby
Annie, get your gun