What do you expect for the next Green Day album?

legendary

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh Billie definitely loves his power pop, but FOAM to me is different, more of a classic glam, funk sound (maybe like the outlier Kill the DJ that was Mike’s request) than usual. It was a choice to do something different or Longshot would have been a Green Day album for sure.  Going back to a stripped down power pop of Trilogy or Longshot would be great.  I think like with the Trilogy they enjoyed making it, then you put it out in the world, see the reception, have to perform it for confused less energetic audiences and you feel different.

I think it's splitting hairs when comparing FOAM, the Trilogy and LIFL. All broadly similar songs with similar themes, differences for sure but they have way more in common with each other than say RevRad. Either way, I think it'll either be another political record or another party record. Unfortunately can't see them branching out much further than that.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

On 2/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, Biddymc said:

I think we've all lived through (are still living through) a remarkable time in history, and there is still a lot to be said about where we've been (the rise of fascism, white nationalism, BLM,  a working class left behind) and then the pandemic, and what it's going to be like coming out from under all of it, and how we feel about those dark shadows, and the absolute physical and emotional need to just break out, and be free to have fun, socialize, see shows, play music as loud as you can.  There is a cathartic moment that is simmering in everyone, and if they were somehow able to tap into that, well, that would be amazing.  

"And I'm still BREATHING"

• Like 1

Dexter Holland feature on a song called Flowers on a Grave.

A song explaining tik tok and a serious topic juxtaposed.  Juxti-Poser, get it?

A song about getting tatted up.

St. Jimmy Too - why the heck not.  Jimmy is doing better these days and Dave Grohl is chilling with him.

Thunder Blunder - no guitar.  Only drums and synths.  Think Network but with insane drumming.

Magicality and Reebok Boy. A song about late night hangs in punk rock houses.

Only six songs on the album, but they rock. St. Jimmy goes on for some time at around 8 minutes. 

Reebok Boy is 9 minutes. 

The rest are 3ish.

The album cover is a fish with dog whiskers painting the Father of All art onto Insomiac. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm baaaaaack.

The new album should sound like The Melvins and Butthole Surfers had a baby, and upon growing up into a well adjusted 35 year old, that baby had a baby with Pukey the unicorn, who picks up a banjo attached to 14 different guitar pedals and is slightly, very stoned. 

Oh and ompaloopas on coca cola vocals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tre posted a photo of a mic'd up baby sized piano today so I think it's safe to say the nursery rhyme album is officially coming

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

THEORY:

Billie said in 2019/2020 that there are still songs he wrote that they already work on with Butch Walker. In the meantime much time went by and they released HCTS and Pollyanna which were produced by GD. And now Holy Toledo was produced with Butch Walker again. So maybe this will be the first single of their upcoming album they work on with Butch 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flashback said:

THEORY:

Billie said in 2019/2020 that there are still songs he wrote that they already work on with Butch Walker. In the meantime much time went by and they released HCTS and Pollyanna which were produced by GD. And now Holy Toledo was produced with Butch Walker again. So maybe this will be the first single of their upcoming album they work on with Butch 🤔

I would imagine Holy Toledo was written a while back if it was for a movie? Could even be a year or so old as the movie has been released now and won an award at a film festival back in the early summer? 

• Like 4

I expect to hear the word "razor blades" at least twice.  

"hearts" at least 6 times. 

Probably some cigarettes.   

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 7:45 PM, Banjodewulf2247 said:

I think we need some kind of sequel to American Idiot. Something that continues the story.... With the ways things have gone in politics the last few years i think the Jesus of suburbia and Saint Jimmy should have their second coming.... or heck maybe go back to  the classic style of dookie or Kerplunk. Maybe finally give us an official release of "Stay" or "Future Old Boy".

Wasnt 21st Century Breakdown at least a musical continuation even if it wasn't the same characters?

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, PluckyJokerhead said:

Tre posted a photo of a mic'd up baby sized piano today so I think it's safe to say the nursery rhyme album is officially coming

Just Tre Cool and a piano.  Nothing else until 47 minutes in, when the full band ignites.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

Just Tre Cool and a piano.  Nothing else until 47 minutes in, when the full band ignites.

I'm just imagining listening to that for 47 minutes and then the band erupts in at incredible volume and scares the shit out of you, like somewhere now but the intro is 3/4 an hour long

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just watched the trailer for Matt, Muthusula and Various Others.   

It's looks like it could be a decent movie.   I have to watch it anyway because of Holy Toledo, so we'll see.  

• 3 weeks later...

I hope the guys are so inspired the next time around that they don't use any leftover songs at all.

Also, I know they said they would never go into the studio without lyrics again, but recreating the miserable experience of recording Nimrod could be a total win, with a payoff of an amazing album.   One that will have Billie joe crying at the end.  

Speaking of crying at the end, John Roecker says he has over 300 hours on unreleased Green Day footage.    I know I can't buy it off him, but maybe one of you rich bleeper could.   What do you think?   Finders Fee for me?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When do you guys think we’ll have a new album? 2022, 2023, or 2024 (the next Presidential election year)? I know Billie said he wants to put out more music frequently now that they’re off their contract with Warner. And we had a bunch of singles and covers in the past year!  Everything that happened in the past year (Covid, BLM, the election, etc.) is a rock opera writing itself!!!! Do you think the next album will be a long one (12-18 songs, 40-60 minutes)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

When do you guys think we’ll have a new album? 2022, 2023, or 2024 (the next Presidential election year)? I know Billie said he wants to put out more music frequently now that they’re off their contract with Warner. And we had a bunch of singles and covers in the past year!  Everything that happened in the past year (Covid, BLM, the election, etc.) is a rock opera writing itself!!!! Do you think the next album will be a long one (12-18 songs, 40-60 minutes)?

New album in 2023 ("not immediate future") seems likely.

• Like 2

I would totally be ok with waiting until 2025 if it meant it was a real return to form, like the quality of their 00's work. Not that their 2010's work is bad at all (I mean, I really like most of the trilogy), but I feel like 09 was the last time we got a truly fantastic Green Day album.

If they release an album in 2022 or early 2023, my concern would be getting another FOAMF. Like, I'm sure there's gonna be some decent songs but I'd be expecting filler too. If they want to release some EPs or do some side project releases before they release a new Green Day album, that'd be fine too. I think the side projects are a great way for the band to get creative, even if I'm not totally into the side project (i.e. Network, I don't really care for the Network sound)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I hope it’s released 2022 and I hope it’s a long one. Last one was too short. And if it’s a rock opera I’m going to puke. Two were enough and the magic won’t be repeated.

I hope it’s long and not like Rev Rad or FOAM… but longer than average and adventurous (FOAM was adventurous but too short).

Hoping for 2022 but they’re still on Hella Mega tour so hopefully 2023 will be a longer than usual new release.

• Like 2

What do I hope for? Something closer to Nimrod than Revolution Radio. I love Rev Rad, don't get me wrong, but the band hasn't released just a good, straightforward punk rock album free of concept or politics since Nimrod. I'd pay for that.

I also would not complain about getting a cover album somehow, some way.

What am I expecting? Something probably overproduced with a few good songs, a few bad songs, another JOS-inspired piece, some nods to old riffs, and a strong political bent.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I would totally be ok with waiting until 2025 if it meant it was a real return to form, like the quality of their 00's work. Not that their 2010's work is bad at all (I mean, I really like most of the trilogy), but I feel like 09 was the last time we got a truly fantastic Green Day album.

If they release an album in 2022 or early 2023, my concern would be getting another FOAMF. Like, I'm sure there's gonna be some decent songs but I'd be expecting filler too. If they want to release some EPs or do some side project releases before they release a new Green Day album, that'd be fine too. I think the side projects are a great way for the band to get creative, even if I'm not totally into the side project (i.e. Network, I don't really care for the Network sound)

26 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I hope it’s released 2022 and I hope it’s a long one. Last one was too short. And if it’s a rock opera I’m going to puke. Two were enough and the magic won’t be repeated.

I hope it’s long and not like Rev Rad or FOAM… but longer than average and adventurous (FOAM was adventurous but too short).

Hoping for 2022 but they’re still on Hella Mega tour so hopefully 2023 will be a longer than usual new release.

It definitely won’t be another FOAM, like I said, Billie has so much to write about these past few years, Covid, BLM, and the election. Don’t forget, FOAM was recorded in 2019 and released in February 2020, a month before Covid was officially declared a pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I agree that I'd like them to take their time and put out something really well thought out. A lot of their stuff recently has felt rushed and like they aren't challenging themselves. I did love MM2020 Pt. 2, though. Personally, I'd like to hear them try some new things in the studio. New instruments, new tones, new methods of recording. I'm not sure Butch Walker is going to challenge them much. They need a producer who will really push them to try something fresh. Need a mature record from them. The "party" theme is getting kind of old.

Do you think they’ll ever reunite with Rob Cavallo?

• Love 1