Green Day'll be part of PlayOn Fest

GreenDayItaly

15 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I stand by all of these complaints 😌

9 minutes ago, killjoywhatsername said:

I think the first two are valid points when it comes to the band as a whole. I love the creativity Billie putting out and I get Mike and Tre are probably just enjoying their time with their family but in an era where it feels like so little promotion has been done, and then for the quarantining you’re happen, I get why fans want more. 

This whole thing about the what gig they are putting out— Seville is fine. Despite how little promo has been going on in FOAM, I’m glad they are trying to bring it to a wider audience. As much as I’d love an actual rare or deep cut performance, a wide audience isn’t going to appreciate it as much. 

A lot of bands have done nothing at all, Billie's actually been busy doing stuff. To be actively promoting an album during this time would be a bit tasteless. Billie's put out some treats for fans but that's still not enough?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Joe. said:

A lot of bands have done nothing at all, Billie's actually been busy doing stuff. To be actively promoting an album during this time would be a bit tasteless. Billie's put out some treats for fans but that's still not enough?

I never complained about what Billie was doing.  Just as the pandemic is revealing the inequality in our system that was there all along, this quarantine is showing us that Billie has been 99% of Green Day for quite some time. He’s been productive and amazing to the fans. The other two are sitting on their asses. And I don’t blame Billie or GD for the choice of concert to air for this thing, that is entirely a label decision I’m sure they had nothing to do with it. 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

I never complained about what Billie was doing.  Just as the pandemic is revealing the inequality in our system that was there all along, this quarantine is showing us that Billie has been 99% of Green Day for quite some time. He’s been productive and amazing to the fans. The other two are sitting on their asses. And I don’t blame Billie or GD for the choice of concert to air for this thing, that is entirely a label decision I’m sure they had nothing to do with it. 

Yes Billie writes the songs?

I don't know what can really be expected of the others to be doing, this really isn't unusual for the current climate. Yes a couple bands have got everyone involved, but the majority of stuff put out has been solo of the singer. Even then, the majority of artists have done nothing. Maybe its just me, I just don't see the big deal in Tre and Mike not being sat on a call while Billie does an acoustic performance?

18 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Promoting was the wrong word for me to use.  I was kinda getting at that we got so little from like August-February of the band and so now when you got the Stones doing these live-streams together or the Backstreet Boys (I’m trying to think of groups of bands and these two came up first) it’s like.. the guys couldn’t be bothered to all do at least one? I don’t really care that much because I’m happy with the stuff Billie is doing but I get why people are wishing all three of them would do something. 

3 minutes ago, killjoywhatsername said:

Promoting was the wrong word for me to use.  I was kinda getting at that we got so little from like August-February of the band and so now when you got the Stones doing these live-streams together or the Backstreet Boys (I’m trying to think of groups of bands and these two came up first) it’s like.. the guys couldn’t be bothered to all do at least one? I don’t really care that much because I’m happy with the stuff Billie is doing but I get why people are wishing all three of them would do something. 

The point is they're the exception to the rule. Most bands haven't done something as a group. Yeah it'd be nice, but 99% of bands have done less than Green Day. A bit of perspective is needed.

Yeah the show isn’t really catered specifically to hardcore fans who have seen every concert footage. I doubt the people putting this together are going to go out of their way for unseen concert footage of each artist just to make the hardcore fans happy. 

Makes more sense to show the more recent and up to date concert footage from this era. The Seville concert was a damn good show and represents the band and their live shows perfectly. 

It sucks that it's a show that was aired not that long ago, but I still like the idea of the fest overall and I like that Green Day is a part of it. Honestly, I hope they keep doing things like this once quarantine is over. 

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

What do you want Mike and Tre to do? They are a bassist and drummer respectively, that's not the same thing as being a guitar playing singer songwriter. It isn't even remotely a slight against fans that they're not performing on command for us, spending their time how they wish is their complete right. Billie's into doing these solo performances which happens to be cool for us, but if he also decided to just spend this time as down time with his family (before likely embarking on a huge tour after this is over) that would also be fine. You know that before social media we would literally hear nothing from them for months and months when they weren't promoting an album or touring right? Them taking breaks between entertaining us was fine then and it's fine now. The amount they do is up to them, they're not doing anyone wrong if they choose to do less. 

12 hours ago, Joe. said:

Hyde Park would've been great, but anythings better than nothing.

The guys can't win with some people on here. Billie's getting attention even after FOAM, "waaaaah where's mike and tre". Billie's been putting out covers, "why've they not live-streamed a gig with the whole band?". The band's label is putting out a gig for free, "why's it not *random gig*?".  

100% 

Plenty of bands have done quarantine shows together, so it certainly wouldn’t be a problem for Green Day.

However, I’m enjoying the content we’re getting. It’s cool to see some acoustic stuff instead of the whole band playing the hits as always. At least it’s a bit different.

But I also agree with @pacejunkie punk that this made it seem very clear that it’s Mr. Green Day & the band. At this point I don’t feel bad for thinking about GD records as BJ records.

12 minutes ago, Hermione said:

What do you want Mike and Tre to do? 

This but make the song about Oakland instead of Balkan :lol:

Serious answer: on one hand, I don’t want them to do anything, except play the songs, while Billie takes care of everything else, on the other hand, Green Day has been at its best when they were less of a solo project. 

I think it’s still really good that they’ll show these great recent live footages for everyone and there are many other bands’ festival performances too so the thing about the bands which doing pretty much nothing in this time and their unseen stuff, Muse has just released a hilarious behind the scenes video of their 7 years old song for example so I think something so random like that would be even cool too cause it’s a good idea to bring out old unseen stuff for the ones cannot give something new to their fans especially as a band which has got quite history like Green Day but really thanks god Billie never stop creating and giving something no matter what, not every frontman like that. That’s why I like that Billie can do every stuff individually, I think it shows that he is really an artist on its own rather than just being a frontman. 

Perhaps they've tried to perform over Skype/Zoom/whatever program and Billie didn't think it sounded good? 

I don't care about which performance or who picked it, or at all in the end lol, but when they (Warner?) announce something with the words "virtual music festival" and "a spectacular three-day live streaming event", ngl, I would expect literelly that: live performances streamed live. But that's marketing for you I guess.

To clarify, Foo Fighters who are one of the biggest bands in the world, have done nothing. They've postponed their album launch and done literally nothing apart from Dave writing up some stories on instagram. And it's their 25th anniversary as a band. Just because all the stuff Green Day have done isn't literally the most they could've done, doesn't mean they've still not made an effort for the fans.

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Perhaps they've tried to perform over Skype/Zoom/whatever program and Billie didn't think it sounded good? 

Exactly, maybe Billie wants to do it on his own? Theres no benefit to seeing Mike and Tre other than that you're seeing them. Everything's still been full band.

Is not possible to do a live performance with different people on Skype/Zoom/wtv due lag problems. Is not that easy, people.

52 minutes ago, greendepent said:

Is not possible to do a live performance with different people on Skype/Zoom/wtv due lag problems. Is not that easy, people.

It’s possible as there have some a band here or there that have done it 

Rolling Stones did it for that One World that Billie was featured on this past weekend however I felt it was a bit off at times during their song 

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Rolling Stones did it for that One World that Billie was featured on this past weekend however I felt it was a bit off at times during their song 

There’s a lot of post that goes into those. I use zoom daily for meetings and it is near impossible to have multiple people talking/singing/playing music all at the same time. It’s becomes a muffled mess and nobody can understand what’s being said. 

the Rollingstones was not live when it aired on the One World thing. It was prerecorded. 

2 minutes ago, Squashie said:

There’s a lot of post that goes into those. I use zoom daily for meetings and it is near impossible to have multiple people talking/singing/playing music all at the same time. It’s becomes a muffled mess and nobody can understand what’s being said. 

the Rollingstones was not live when it aired on the One World thing. It was prerecorded. 

Really? It wasn’t live? Lol yes I know it wasn’t live... 

They could do that but they're allowed not to lol. Maybe they think Billie's performances sound/work better so that's what they've chosen to do instead. Maybe they will do that at some point but haven't felt like it yet, or maybe there's just been more opportunity for Billie to perform (since he's been invited on these living room performance things etc) and they're happy with that. Like, it's their band, it's up to them what they do.

5 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

5 hours ago, Squashie said:

Charlie Watts was playing air drums. It was definitely pre recorded. 

The sense of entitlement is ridiculous. They don’t have to do anything and Billie’s actually been super busy. Because they’ve not gone through the hassle of all 3 of them setting up recording equipment they’re lazy and don’t care?

7 hours ago, greendepent said:

Agreed - a lot (not all but a lot) of the videos out there that show people doing this are actually recorded separately then put together as doing it live is very difficult and the sound is poor. Like you say, lag is a big issue too

I don’t understand why are so many of you upset with the idea that someone says they’d like to see the whole band. What’s wrong with that?

28 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don’t understand why are so many of you upset with the idea that someone says they’d like to see the whole band. What’s wrong with that?

Because that's not all that's being said lol. Saying it would be cool to see the whole band vs saying they're sitting on their asses and complaining that everything they do isn't enough. It's a much different implication. 

We're not a charity case who needs their care lol.  If they feel like performing it's cool, if not also cool. They shouldn't be held under any expectation to perform a certain amount outside of playing on albums we buy or doing shows we buy tickets for. I've enjoyed Billie's performances and respect Mike and Tre's choice of whether they want to join in with stuff or not, particularly as it isn't that easy to do in these circumstances. Before Billie started doing performances there was whining as well and it left a bit of a bitter taste when he did start, instead of being a cool thing to appreciate people are seeing it as the bare minimum so now the whining continues. I'm just not expecting anything and enjoying what we get. 

Archived