Billie to be on iHeart Living Room Concert for America Sunday

Jon Benjamin

So the latest promo that Billie posted now says Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day. I wonder if they do that to promote the band and because he doesn’t want to be seen as a solo act or whether it’s because promoters think without saying Green Day people won’t know who he is?

I don’t have the perspective to know but do most people know who he is by name without saying Green Day or do they not?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure. I know who he is. The Longshot shows sold out in mere seconds. Maybe they’re saying it to not separate him from the band. Like he’s done too much solo stuff. Or maybe people don’t know who he is. I have no idea actually. Pointless post. Sorry. Ahah. I think it’s because old people and young people don’t know who he is. I could be completely wrong.

People kind of freaked when they thought he went solo. It could be that. Like “fuck you Green Day isn’t breaking up” but he didn’t want to do another ranting Instagram video with swearing after the live nhl tv mess.

Is someone going to record this? Because I will be working and really want to be able to see it.

5 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Not sure. I know how he is. The Longshot shows sold out in mere seconds. Maybe they’re saying it to not separate him from the band. Like he’s done too much solo stuff. Or maybe people don’t know who he is. I have no idea actually. Pointless lost. Sorry. Ahah. I think it’s because old people and young people don’t know who he is. I could be completely wrong.

People kind of freaked when they thought he went solo. It could be there. Like “fuck you Green Day isn’t breaking up” but he didn’t want to do another ranting Instagram video with swearing after the live nhl tv mess.

The NHL thing was not a mess. I believe everyone involved planned it and loved it. Billie said that he really enjoyed seeing himself trend on Twitter, and most of the tweets were basically “hell yeah!”. Even the nhl themselves tweeted about it. It was all good.

But on-subject, I don’t think most people know who is is without the Green Day association.

1 minute ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

The NHL thing was not a mess. I believe everyone involved planned it and loved it. Billie said that he really enjoyed seeing himself trend on Twitter, and most of the tweets were basically “hell yeah!”. Even the nhl themselves tweeted about it. It was all good.

Yeah it seemed so staged. 

45 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

So the latest promo that Billie posted now says Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day. I wonder if they do that to promote the band and because he doesn’t want to be seen as a solo act or whether it’s because promoters think without saying Green Day people won’t know who he is?

I don’t have the perspective to know but do most people know who he is by name without saying Green Day or do they not?

I think people who fall within a specific target market would know him as Billie Joe. Punk rock fans, alternative rock fans (specifically 90's and early 00's) would know him by name. 

Going into a wider audience Green Day is better known. If they see him they'll know it's Green Day. 

7 hours ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

😃😀😁😆

I’m calling it....WMUWSE

Or the current cover. Maybe both.

Wake me up... when this quarantine ends...

8 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’ve seen a lot of time that they add “from Green Day” or even just Green Day singer without giving his name. I think this time it’s probably because he’ll play GD songs so they have to promote them. I think people would be more familiar with the band’s name though. There are some young people don’t know who he is too and probably just heard the songs cause I don’t believe there would be many people have never heard any of their songs especially if they’re older than 14 lol 

I hate to say it but I think lots of people don’t know who he is, you often see him referred to as Green Day rather himself, people not familiar with a band tend not to know the lead singer. They are just making sure people know who he is, I don’t think there is anything more to it.  

I doubt he’s known to most of the wider public in any other way than the Green Day guy (who smashed a guitar). A few days ago someone posted a picture from Woodstock 94 on Reddit’s Old School Cool, so I took it as an opportunity to see what the general public had to say. There were pretty much only people reminiscing about the show and then comments like “wow I couldn’t believe this is him now, the dude tripled in weight”, then looking at the most common google searches recently posted on gdc, it’s often people looking if he died or if the band broke up. So I’d say people who were into them as casual fans during the height of their popularity still know who he is, but have no idea what he’s up to, then the younger people most likely have no idea

19 minutes ago, That Dude said:

So we get to see their living rooms?  

Or bathrooms for better acoustic. 

Possibly but they may not take it literally, who knows.  I hope it doesn’t become “I’m a scruffier celeb than you are”, I want hawt Billie 😆 sorry, wrong thread!

15 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

P.S.

Posting this here for people who don’t have the means to watch it live, or just want to watch it on their phone/PC whatever. :P (This includes people who don’t live in the U.S.)

https://ustvgo.tv/fox-hd-live-streaming/

Thank you ❤️ 

3 hours ago, jengd said:

I hate to say it but I think lots of people don’t know who he is, you often see him referred to as Green Day rather himself, people not familiar with a band tend not to know the lead singer. They are just making sure people know who he is, I don’t think there is anything more to it.  

But yet there are many lead singer frontmen that are known names to everyone separate from their bands. I don’t think you have to say Bono of U2 or Adam Levine of Maroon 5 for example. Chris Martin and Dave Grohl I think are household names as well. I didn’t know if Billie Joe was on this level or not.

11 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Is someone going to record this? Because I will be working and really want to be able to see it.

Yes, I'll be at work as well I hope someone records it.

Was just thinking this must not be very different for Billie Eilish. Singing songs from her bedroom is kind of her brand 😄

3 hours ago, penbreaker said:

Or bathrooms for better acoustic. 

I'll try my bathroom.  I've only ever sung in the bath.  Never guitared. 

Time for singing and playing in ALL rooms.  I bet my kitchen has the best acoustics.  Not sure why.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But yet there are many lead singer frontmen that are known names to everyone separate from their bands. I don’t think you have to say Bono of U2 or Adam Levine of Maroon 5 for example. Chris Martin and Dave Grohl I think are household names as well. I didn’t know if Billie Joe was on this level or not.

I don’t think he is but don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing.  Bono gets pretty lambasted for his saintliness, as does Chris Martin, Adam Levine is not that well known in the UK I don’t think and Dave Grohl is largely still known for being in Nirvana.  Chris Martin is also known for being married to Gwyneth Paltrow, take that how you want 😁.  I think BJA has really always been about GD, he didn’t even launch the Longshot stuff under his own name.

8 minutes ago, jengd said:

Bono gets pretty lambasted for his saintliness

Can't wait for Bono to do his relief fund for Covid-19 

I also thought his name was Boner for the longest time. 

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I'd put Billie on this level. I think the average person would know who you're talking about if they just saw his name, and even more so once they saw him. There are definitely people that wouldn't, hence the "of Green Day" just to cover all the bases. With few exceptions, the one person of a band that people are going to know is the lead singer, and esp from a band that has had as much success as Green Day.

I was wondering....do you think a crew actually went into the musicians’ homes to film this? Or with social distancing, is it just the musicians themselves broadcasting from their homes?

11 minutes ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

I was wondering....do you think a crew actually went into the musicians’ homes to film this? Or with social distancing, is it just the musicians themselves broadcasting from their homes?

I know I did an odd job for a media company, Fox was having a guy local to me go live from his small basement studio, they sent over HELLA equipment for him to just turn on and them accept the feed. 

Archived