Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

When I think of this Era, I always get this weird feeling about where the band was at during that time. I never really bought into the theories about them just trying to get out of their contract or whatever, but it felt like a big ole mid-life crisis. I especially thought it was weird how Billie's style changed (mainly wearing sunglasses during some indoor performances) and how he was ditching the guitar during some songs (Ex: Revolution Radio).

None of it fully felt like GREEN DAY to me, and I think thats why I always have odd feelings about this album and era as a whole. I still listen to Oh Yeah and Graffitia from time to time, but thats about it for me.

• Like 1

Since everyone was discussing FOAM in the Saviors thread, it got me thinking and I believe this would be my ranking for the FOAM-era songs:

1. Graffitia
2. Sugar Youth
3. Father of All...
4. Stab You in the Heart
5. Holy Toledo!
6. Take the Money and Crawl
7. Meet Me on the Roof
8. Junkies on a High
9. Pollyanna
10. Oh Yeah!
11. I Was a Teenage Teenager
12. Fire, Ready, Aim
13. Here Comes the Shock

FRA and HCTS are pretty similar to me: they are both extremely forgettable and with no meaning whatsoever.
Everything from Oh Yeah! upwards I think is okay or even pretty good, in the case of the top 4.

I think FOAM is a Green Day album though. Most of the songs sound more like Green Day than their side projects. And the band has clearly been trying to make the Foxboro sound part of Green Day. They're never going to release another Foxboro album again so whenever they make that kind of music, they just release it under the Green Day name (i.e. Dos, SYITH).

Here's my ranking of FOAMF era songs

1. Graffitia
2. Stab You in the Heart
3. Holy Toledo
4. Pollyanna
5. Sugar Youth (Honestly, it's overrated)
6. Take the Money & Crawl
7. Junkies on a High
8. Father of All (would genuinely like this song if it weren't for the falsetto. Instrumentally, it's the best song of the era)
9. Meet Me on the Roof
10. Fire, Ready, Aim
11. Here Comes The Shock
12. Oh Yeah
13. I Was A Teenage Teenager (dreadful)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

8. Father of All (would genuinely like this song if it weren't for the falsetto. Instrumentally, it's the best song of the era)

Eh, I actually quite like the falsetto. Biggest problem are the effects on top of Billie's voice, but that's present throughout the whole era so it doesn't affect my ranking.

I remember looking forward to playing Father of All at the studio with my friends, as it was fun as hell to sing. Then the pandemic happened lol And we never played together since then. Alas, it was not meant to be.

27 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm impressed you hate this one so much you rank it lower than Here Comes the Shock (imo the worst GD song of all time).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think FOAM is a Green Day album though. Most of the songs sound more like Green Day than their side projects. And the band has clearly been trying to make the Foxboro sound part of Green Day. They're never going to release another Foxboro album again so whenever they make that kind of music, they just release it under the Green Day name (i.e. Dos, SYITH).

Here's my ranking of FOAMF era songs

1. Graffitia
2. Stab You in the Heart
3. Holy Toledo
4. Pollyanna
5. Sugar Youth (Honestly, it's overrated)
6. Take the Money & Crawl
7. Junkies on a High
9. Meet Me on the Roof
10. Fire, Ready, Aim
11. Here Comes The Shock
12. Oh Yeah

I think that father of all is a killer song and really showcases Billies voice that he can sing his ass off. The only song on here I did not care for was teenage teenager 

• Like 2

FOAM rankings? I'll bite.

1. TTMAC

2. Graffitia

3. Holy Toledo!

4. Sugar Youth

5. MMOTR

6. Pollyanna

7. Oh Yeah

8. Junkies on a High

9. Stab You in the Heart

10. FOA

11. FRA

12. IWATT

13. HCTS

I actually forgot how solid Holy Toledo and Pollyanna are! And while I don't hate IWATT it is one I usually skip. It's not awful but...eh. I usually try to pretend HCTS didn't happen so I listened to it again and...yeesh. I don't know what it is because it's not outright horrible but it's so....empty? I don't know. It's not great. 

I still remember watching the video premiere with my bf and we just sat there like 🫥 at the end he was like...that wasn't very good was it?

• Like 2

My ratings would be like this :D

1. Graffitia

2. Pollyanna

3. Meet Me on the Roof 

4. Sugar Youth

5. I Was a Teenage Teenager

6. Junkies on a High

7. Stab You in the Heart

8. Father of All...

9. Oh Yeah! 

10. Fire, Ready, Aim

11. Holy Toledo!

12. Take the Money and Crawl

13. Here Comes the Shock

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenalert997x said:

IMO best songs are: TTMAC, Sugar Youth, Graffitia. Worst: Fire, Ready Aim and Foamf, Oh Yeah. 

Agree in the best songs however i think foamf(song) is not that bad.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:05 PM, The Grohl said:

I still remember watching the video premiere with my bf and we just sat there like 🫥 at the end he was like...that wasn't very good was it?

I had a very similar experience with my gf. She was still getting into Green Day back then, so it was very embarrassing to be all excited about new music and then turn on the TV to watch and hear THAT.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, Saviour said:

Holy Toledo is a banger. The best song of the entire era.

Here Comes The Shock is an embarrassment.

I agree, it was a banger of a song. I think they werent really sure where to go in this era. That’s why the whole thing comes off as some form of an experiment. But also knowing theyre testing the waters they arent going to use the good lyrics or best riffs and waste them on this. but putting very little in means not getting very much out of it.

Some things worked but nothing worked together. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have Father of All leaks if anyone is interested.   The links still work and if you send my 12,000 dollars I will vaguely hint as what internet they are on.  ;)

Thanks to my source back on February 1, 2020 for hooking me up.  I was at Diary Queen when it came through and  I ditched that Ice Cream witch to run home and blast this sucker.     

Please hook me up again when the time comes.

I honestly don’t think I could rank the songs. Holy Toledo and MMOTR are the only ones I return to. 😬

The pandemic has wiped my memory of what promo they did for FOAM but I don’t think they spoke about it they way they’re doing with Saviors now, if that makes sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

I have Father of All leaks if anyone is interested.   The links still work and if you send my 12,000 dollars I will vaguely hint as what internet they are on.  ;)

Thanks to my source back on February 1, 2020 for hooking me up.  I was at Diary Queen when it came through and  I ditched that Ice Cream witch to run home and blast this sucker.     

Please hook me up again when the time comes.

What, you really do?

1 hour ago, alekshf96 said:

What, you really do?

It’s true. But I only had to give 10,000. Better hurry before the price goes up even more!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 2:35 PM, Zebahar said:

It’s true. But I only had to give 10,000. Better hurry before the price goes up even more!

I have to share the Father of All leak with you one more time, it's 182 Million dollars.  

Unless the person I got it from hooks me up with Saviors early. That sounds kind of evil, I take that back.  No extortion for Green Day.   

Father of All is great.  I'm even warming up to Stabbie Stabbie in Da Beat Box which is one of my least favorites.  

My thought is its not a new album anymore (as mentioned in the topic) and its not even an album. It is a 1 min longer than an Ep compilation of half ideas, half baked songs, experimenting and a joke (including the album cover). God knows why there was a need for it or what the exact reason behind it, 4 years after the release of the proper album Revrad. 

Now is the time for the proper follow up to RevRad, that is called 'Saviors'. 

• Like 1

The last of the “party” records?

I been reckonin, that ever since Stop Drop And Roll, every other album been a party album. Now see here 

tubbies=party

21cb=non party

trilogy=party

revrad=non party

foam=party

saviors=….???

• Like 3

I think calling FOAM a "fun party album" doesn't really do it justice. I mean, I really wouldn't call any of the songs party songs, there's a darkness underneath all of them that I think elevates them beyond that. The only song that might fit that description is Meet Me on the Roof?

• Like 4