Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

13 hours ago, Saviour said:

I don’t know about you but I’d categorise it under “ethically questionable” regardless 

Someone in their circle was not up to scratch on their due diligence because I’d really find it hard to believe they looked at the publishing details of that song, saw his name and thought “yeah, I’m sure that’ll be fine”

Bear in mind that whilst Glitter no longer earns royalties from his masters, there’s every chance he still gets paid for songwriting credits.

It’s absurd the song made it onto the album IMO.

I totally agree with your stance on Gary as a whole. Do we actually know how it works though with the way he receives payments? I’m pretty sure he’s in prison till he dies so what can money really do for him at this point? Either way GD donating the money ensures he doesn’t get that portion of it. 

I really do think it was a nod to Joan Jett but as you said the whole Gary Glitter thing casted a shadow over that. Might have been better sampling I love rock n roll or bad reputation.

As for the song making the album and making it as a single, I’m mixed on that. I think like the rest of foamf this was somewhat of an incomplete track. The bass line could have gone further and in tandem we get better drums. The only thing it had going for it was smart isolated vocal lines and a decent video.

imo Junkies On A High would have been a better single choice. Besides the title track this is the only song I thing is worthy of being a single. Graffitia was also a good song but it loses something in it’s production in a similar fashion to a song like Stay The Night. 

8 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Agree with i was a teenage teenager. Don't understad gree day fans wth so much hate for a greendayish song, and then lot of respect for songs like junkies on a high, that are not Green day style

I dont dislike or like teenage teenager. It’s just a song that’s there. It’s not as bad as this forum claims it to be but there’s nothing outstanding about it in anyway.

I think this is another example like Oh Yeah where if the band dug deeper they could have gotten a base hit.

I know we talk about foamf being experimental but I actually think if they pushed the pedal harder on the experiment part we would have gotten some deeper and more unique songs. 

Billie talked alot about prince during this album run and with the intro of this song he could have channeled that style a bit more. Mike is also guilty for once again not taking that bass line up a notch. 

in a way the album feels like copy and paste and then slight refine in an area or two for the sake of breaking formula. 

I've been catching up with Green Day this week, since I kiiind of stopped following after Demolicious came out. I'm surprised by the amount of hate this album gets? Personally, I love it! It's super fun to listen to, and Fire Ready Aim and Junkies on a High must be one of my all time favorites from them. I found FOAM extremely enjoyable. Whereas Saviors was a grower and it felt a little "meh" at first listen, FOAM was instant love for me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:12 PM, Christian's Inferno! said:

For one thing, something being "green day-ish" or "not Green Day style" doesn't constitute it being good or bad. Experimentation should always be welcome

Secondly, I wouldn't call I Was A Teenage Teenager a green day-ish song

Thirdly, I'm not a huge fan of either song but Junkies is way better than IWATT imo

I think that bille's guitar power chords are the soul of Green Day sound. Only I was a teenage..., sugar youth and grafittia have power chords on this album. I like them more than the rest because this reason (power chords). Only grafittia is for me a great song from this album. 

Edited by Gonzalo17

Oh Yeah is still a song I revisit almost weekly. Definitely my favorite on the album. Other than than that, it’s Graffitia and that’s it. I want to like the album, but I just can’t.

i sometimes wonder if I associate the album with Covid too much (which was a very bad year for me) and that’s why I’m reluctant to get the album a full listen again

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 3:16 AM, DannyDirnt said:

I've been catching up with Green Day this week, since I kiiind of stopped following after Demolicious came out. I'm surprised by the amount of hate this album gets? Personally, I love it! It's super fun to listen to, and Fire Ready Aim and Junkies on a High must be one of my all time favorites from them. I found FOAM extremely enjoyable. Whereas Saviors was a grower and it felt a little "meh" at first listen, FOAM was instant love for me.

It was a #1 album week 1 on the British charts.

I think The Longshot album was the most logical progression out of Rev Rad (only counting music actually produced in the time frame, not hypotheticals). Maybe I’d swap out Goodbye To Romance for a song Billie actually wrote. I think Dreamcatcher could have fit there.

I understand his need to branch off as a side project but I think this would have been a really solid Green Day album and I think it leads off better into Saviors than Father of All.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

I think The Longshot album was the most logical progression out of Rev Rad (only counting music actually produced in the time frame, not hypotheticals). Maybe I’d swap out Goodbye To Romance for a song Billie actually wrote. I think Dreamcatcher could have fit there.

I understand his need to branch off as a side project but I think this would have been a really solid Green Day album and I think it leads off better into Saviors than Father of All.

Yeah I don't really mind whether things get released as Green Day or a side project but can definitely hear similarities to The Longshot on Saviors! Which is cool because I love that Longshot album.

• Like 3

We can speculate all we want but I’d like to find out the real reason someday

19 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I remembered the reason: he was having some fun with some of his friends 

I promise you there’s a story behind all that passive aggressiveness

24 minutes ago, Hermione said:

This is classic old school Billie especially that face at the end lol

Also classic Billie to burn great songs on side projects! Lol 

It’s all good though cause we got to hear it. I wish the songs from These Paper Bullets were more accessible. Would be cool for Green Day to use Follow You Around in some way. 

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

People underestimate what its like to be in their position. Just read through comments anytime GD is mentioned. Theres no middle ground its either they saved your life or they murdered your mother.

One guy was shitting on them on FB and a guy commented and wrote “it’s really easy to maintain your integrity when you’re a nobody”. That guy is a hero for that comment lol

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Omg the best random livestream ever!! Thank you for blessing my feed with this gem.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Is Green Day breaking up though? Dang, Billie was mad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Look like people were thinking Green Day were breaking up just because of The Longshot lol.
It's still the best side project Billie ever did.
If there is more to this video I really don't know what is it.

I remember this video...people were really riding him about Green Day breaking up.  This was when?  Five years ago?  Wouldn't Tre just be having Mickey then?  I mean I can't blame him if he had songs ready to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vintage Disciple said:

I remember this video...people were really riding him about Green Day breaking up.  This was when?  Five years ago?  Wouldn't Tre just be having Mickey then?  I mean I can't blame him if he had songs ready to go.

So silly as well when they've all done side projects before and when he even took special care to not draw attention to the fact it was a solo record by calling it The Longshot instead of just Billie Joe Armstrong.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 10:34 AM, Lenny said:

I wish the songs from These Paper Bullets were more accessible. Would be cool for Green Day to use Follow You Around in some way. 

I couldn’t point out all the songs, but I believe most of these songs have made their way onto Green Day albums since.

Stab you in the heart came directly from TPB if I remember correctly

6 hours ago, Zebahar said:

I couldn’t point out all the songs, but I believe most of these songs have made their way onto Green Day albums since.

Stab you in the heart came directly from TPB if I remember correctly

Many but not all. Follow You Around and Baby Blue are still unused. And Dreamcatcher was used for TPB. SYITH had the lyrics rewritten as did Regretfully Yours.

FOAM turned four years old earlier this month. Do you think they will do anything for the five year Anniversary next year? Even though FOAM is a very different style from what they normally do,  I still like it. FOAMF is not my favorite album, just saying I like it. 

13 hours ago, GreenDayJunkie86 said:

FOAM turned four years old earlier this month. Do you think they will do anything for the five year Anniversary next year? Even though FOAM is a very different style from what they normally I still like it. 

No, cause they've never done anything for an album's 5 year anniversary and that's certainly not going to be the case with an album that people generally don't like very much.