Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

3 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

True, he's been doing it for years but never to the extent used here. Coming straight from RevRad there is a HUGE difference on the amount of reused vs original melodies. If there were more songs on this album, it certainly would have helped with the situation but theres not, so here we are.

Good point - I'd say it boils down to the length of the album. The reused melodies make up more of the runtime because it's shorter. But either way, there quite a few of them. On the other hand, I just can't help it, the album is fun as hell. 

• Like 2

I am going to make an alternate cover with the pictures from the liner notes.  If I can do anything better than Billie Joe, it's album covers.  Haha

58 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Can we create this petition already? :D 

Anyone know how to do that? Please go ahead 🙂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Anyone know how to do that? Please go ahead 🙂

If no one has created anything tomorrow I will make one :D 

35 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I may or may not be on change.org right now...

Should I list it as a human rights petition?

I think they have an option for lazy boomer bands :P 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

If no one has created anything tomorrow I will make one :D 

I think they have an option for lazy boomer bands :P 

Yeah haha I found it and created Green Day as a new recipient of a petition, but then caved in because it looked too much like I had to put my real name in lol (i hate the fact that my name is so easily google-able, i might change it to Jane Smith and then @green day day and night)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, armatage said:

I'm so glad to see someone else is as deeply in love with Graffitia as I am! I've been keeping the song on repeat in the past week so much that I woke up with it stuck in my head this morning. 😁

Absolutely agree with you on the lyrics too! Your opinions match mine pretty closely. I looooove how dark Junkies is.

Graffitia is the only true Green Day song on this album... After listen the hole album for first time when Graffitia started I thought "ok, they still being Green Day"...

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Sugar Youth is easily the best She's A Rebel he's written :P

Thanks for helping me place that, the "and it's dangerooous" was driving me slightly mad lol. I haven't really noticed any other glaringly obvious old/reused melodies (no spoilers pls), so it doesn't bother me in general, but it is a little annoying to realise that one of the catchiest "most green day" songs isn't more original, spoils the song slightly.

35 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Billie doodles.

How I wish I was better at photoshop so I could knock up the Billie/poodle crossbreed image that put in my head right now

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Thanks for helping me place that, the "and it's dangerooous" was driving me slightly mad lol. I haven't really noticed any other glaringly obvious old/reused melodies (no spoilers pls), so it doesn't bother me in general, but it is a little annoying to realise that one of the catchiest "most green day" songs isn't more original, spoils the song slightly.

How I wish I was better at photoshop so I could knock up the Billie/poodle crossbreed image that put in my head right now

Oh no I hope I didn't ruin the song for you because I genuinely think it's cool

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

Oh no I hope I didn't ruin the song for you because I genuinely think it's cool

Haha not at all, the damage was already done. But it's nice to not have to wonder anymore :P 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RisingRedWolf said:

And yes, the art was done as a fuck you to people asking for another American Idiot, that's where the word insult comes in. It was cheap and in no way a creative or even good move, and now the album doesn't even get to have its own identity because of a cheap joke which isn't even funny in my opinion.

Agreed. In fact, I would go one further and say regardless of the album art, it still wouldn't have it's own identity. Too many recycled lyrics, riffs and melodies and a clash of different styles. If it was supposed to be a massive F you, party album, then what is Graffitia doing on there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, michael1989 said:

Agreed. In fact, I would go one further and say regardless of the album art, it still wouldn't have it's own identity. Too many recycled lyrics, riffs and melodies and a clash of different styles. If it was supposed to be a massive F you, party album, then what is Graffitia doing on there?

Graffitia is a really cool political song you can dance to, in line with what combat rock and Sandinista did, it really fits the identity of the record IMHO :) 

I also don’t agree at all with the “missing identity” critique, I can understand that, but I don’t agree. I think this is the first record since 21CB that has a solid identity,  and I actually think the cover art contributes to that. I don’t find it offensive, I find it provocative, which is different to me. I find it an hilarious take towards the band legacy from the band itself, more a joke towards themselves than the fandom (especially after they openly explained the process behind its creation).

I also don’t really agree with the recycled lyrics and melodies critique, not seeing any difference from what this band has always done, and sometimes I have the feeling people is noticing this here the most because they have a pre-existing problem with the record (aka they don’t like it), which would be fine, but I might be wrong :) 
I just find interesting that this in a critique emerging from the first record in years that does not contain a RevRad/99 Rev/put 50% of the band catalogue here :P 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I found the new album in the red/black vinyl that I think looks gorgeous for 20 euros but still think that's asking too much for it and didn't get it. This summarizes my thoughts on the new album. It's cool and fun but why would I wanna re-listen or give money to buy? I can listen to fun rock music from other artists that has some some meaning too.

Billie stepped up his vocal game though and Mike has been one of the best bassists in rock since the trilogy even if the releases are sub-par in my opinion. The drums were okay I guess.

I am huge fan of the album.

But this morning I did get an idea of why someone may not.  I heard a few sounds in "junkies", "teenager" and "stab" that kind of made them less enjoyable and suddenly the hate made sense, despite my love.  Weird. 

The album does lull in the middle, so haters - i feel you.  But love it anyway!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I am huge fan of the album.

But this morning I did get an idea of why someone may not.  I heard a few sounds in "junkies", "teenager" and "stab" that kind of made them less enjoyable and suddenly the hate made sense, despite my love.  Weird. 

The album does lull in the middle, so haters - i feel you.  But love it anyway!

There's too much anti-hype to this album I must admit. It's an album I actually like. 

• Like 1

I will probably continue to use this album when I workout because I know its short - outside that it will never be an album I must listened to like SDR or 21BD - its a nice change up for the guys. :) 

• Like 1

Just heard some things in "Junkies" I hadn't heard before.   At the end of the song, you can hear the line "my pride is..." but it is cut off as the song abruptly ends.   Which is really cool.   

If you listen to the back ground vocals, there are some interesting things.   

In "Teenager", I hear the backing vocals saying "he was a teenager" instead of "I was", which is pretty cool if I'm hearing it right.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, That Dude said:

In "Teenager", I hear the backing vocals saying "he was a teenager" instead of "I was", which is pretty cool if I'm hearing it right.   

You sure he don't say "He was à Teenage Teenager Teenaging Teenagerism"?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, That Dude said:

Just heard some things in "Junkies" I hadn't heard before.   At the end of the song, you can hear the line "my pride is..." but it is cut off as the song abruptly ends.   Which is really cool.   

If you listen to the back ground vocals, there are some interesting things.   

Some guy on YouTube edited out the lead vocals and you can hear a lot of background stuff. I'll post it later but can't right now.

• Love 1

When I first saw the tracklisting for FOAM I thought "Teenage Teenager" was a really dumb title and while it's not the best, Billie explaining how it's inspired from old movies like I was a Teenage Werewolf puts it into better context. 

• Like 4