New Years Eve with Longshot & Prima Donna

Squashie

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Honest question — I get that these side projects always serve their purposes: letting off steam, nurturing creativity, exploring other musical ideas, etc. But honest to God these days Billie seems to be flat out enjoying his side projects more than he enjoys Green Day. Do you think the pop punk monster has become a chore for him? Was bringing Kevin in a way to inject some more fun and energy into his main gig, the kind he seems to still have with The Longshot? 

Maybe this always was the case because of the pressures that come with Green Day, but it never showed as much before.  He, Mike and Tre always seemed to be having fun. Now they often seem bored or going through the motions.

I don’t really know record deals work, but it sure feels like they were pressured to put out a Green Day album and do a big tour when they’re not really in that headspace. Whether people love, hate, or are indifferent to their new music, no one can convince me that they’re genuinely excited about this album. They’re not even trying to hide their lack of enthusiasm, and we’ve actively debated whether their descriptions of the music are real or parody. It has been THAT strange. Not to mention super different from the RevRad era that was such a delight of a time.

• Like 2

So far, for this era GD has mostly done promotional appearances and in many cases they have played to a more general audience (AMA, game awards, NYE celebrations etc...). These audiences are not mainly composed of their fans, nor are they fans of rock and roll music in general.

So I would think that playing to an audience that are more or less interested makes it less fun for the band but it seems to me they are making the extra effort to gain new fans as well as try to put in the effort to represent the rock genre in the mainstream. I think that's a great thing. The more exposure, the more chance to get new fans and make people aware they are still making new music, still touring etc...

My guess is, when the tour starts, they will be more excited and happy to play for small and big audiences.

• Like 2

setlist fm says the longshot covered fell for you and stay the night?

i wish GD play more songs of the trilogy on their next tour, there are so many songs i would wish to hear live atleast once

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

i wish GD play more songs of the trilogy on their next tour, there are so many songs i would wish to hear live atleast once

Yes, I posted the full set a page or two back. Missing You was on the setlist but wasn’t played. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I know and though I agree it’s weird, I do think the stadium tour was what they wanted, at least it’s the explanation they gave for why they signed with Crush and it was the first thing they said they wanted to do when new management asked them.  This whole tour was put together to make it possible for them to play stadiums. I don’t think they’re regretting that, unless there’s some disconnect between the kind of music Billie wants to play right now and the stadium atmosphere. To me FOAM sounds like the perfect music for clubs, like the trilogy and FBHT were.

Exactly. The FOAM style screams "club shows" for me. From what we've heard so far, you can tell that the songs were made for small, intimate, steamy clubs. I never understood why they wanted to play the biggest stadiums now of all times, it just seems like a very weird timing. Stadiums are great venues for dramatic compositions, maybe even with an orchestra or something, maybe for an AI anniversary tour. But I doubt that they will achieve the steamy club atmosphere they seem to like so much rn in large stadiums with expensive golden circles for the rich kids. Green Day is a walking contradiction for me right now 😄 So maybe we'll either get a club tour before the Hella Mega tour starts (please?!) or we'll get more new music quickly after FOAM. Or both. Or nothing and they are contradictory on purpose.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

Agree. I also would like to listen again like X-Kid so bad

9 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

Some more photos for your enjoyment

1c840685a7cee4592c1a566f58365c60b7ca13cc

86aeed12b3ff7b3041e1592e7b7643581201daed

5f094f5207cab9974785a96d90d071ea415d380f

2f974ff7a1303d97bc5a7dcd4b342179f8c1c24e

2c6feee20c778a26020fab936a13aac585a040ca

fa2c2f2441ff66db9ff96bad071a4c319ac703c4

8d3ca400f17ef0574cda6968d3f199fc177f2e15

dec0d9cc8846eece72fc014e119cbb96b3311c72

If you want to repost, clearly credit me with tags (mariagloriaharvey on Instagram).

Having seen Green Day in November and then this, I wouldn't say Billie was having less fun at the Green Day show. The smiles at MTV World Stage were heartwarming! Green Day and Longshot are just very different. I'd say his other side projects (The Coverups, Foxboro Hot Tubs, Pinhead) are different again.

A full recap is coming. I'm still recovering from camping :P (but it was amazing and weird)

Amazing photos 😍

5 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

Exactly. The FOAM style screams "club shows" for me. From what we've heard so far, you can tell that the songs were made for small, intimate, steamy clubs. I never understood why they wanted to play the biggest stadiums now of all times, it just seems like a very weird timing. Stadiums are great venues for dramatic compositions, maybe even with an orchestra or something, maybe for an AI anniversary tour. But I doubt that they will achieve the steamy club atmosphere they seem to like so much rn in large stadiums with expensive golden circles for the rich kids. Green Day is a walking contradiction for me right now 😄 So maybe we'll either get a club tour before the Hella Mega tour starts (please?!) or we'll get more new music quickly after FOAM. Or both. Or nothing and they are contradictory on purpose.

Right?! It just doesn't go together. I get that they're a popular band and that playing stadiums is a good business, so it makes sense for them to do it, but right now they're writing club band music.

• Like 2

Honestly, with how well the club tour seemed to do during the RevRad era, I thought they would do more of them paired with larger shows. I'm just gonna be so mad if they only do stadiums from here on out. I really don't want to see them in that space.

• Like 1

I am pretty confident they will continue to play clubs and smaller venues as well in the next few months, maybe in a “surprise show” format. I also expect a smaller scale tour sometimes after the Hella Mega ends, in the end they only have concerts planned until August. Something will come for sure after the first 6 months. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Honest question — I get that these side projects always serve their purposes: letting off steam, nurturing creativity, exploring other musical ideas, etc. But honest to God these days Billie seems to be flat out enjoying his side projects more than he enjoys Green Day. Do you think the pop punk monster has become a chore for him? Was bringing Kevin in a way to inject some more fun and energy into his main gig, the kind he seems to still have with The Longshot? 

Maybe this always was the case because of the pressures that come with Green Day, but it never showed as much before.  He, Mike and Tre always seemed to be having fun. Now they often seem bored or going through the motions.

I’ve been thinking about that lately and I think as a fan he is doing that intimate shows makes me feel connected to them even more cause they’re a very commercialized band overall and if they would just do those big stadium tours or attend all the mainstream events like some other bands, I was not into them that much. I also think this intimate connection with the fans holds the band together for years. I think it’s in their nature because of the place they came from etc. but It’s a very contrast situation tbh I realized that when I watched their NYRE performance before The Longshot clips. People in the audience not acting natural. Everything looks so prepared etc. because it’s a TV show of course and it’s really normal actually but just when you looked at these two situations, it seems kinda odd to me but they have always balanced it pretty good. They had very fun as Green Day in Revrad shows though. When I watch them, I can get the same energy from Billie’s eyes. I have no doubt that he is having fun at Gd gigs as much as all the other side projects but about record company’s pressure on the band, they said that they wanted to do stadium shows as a band. So, it does not seem likely to me, they’ll do the stadium tour because of that pressure etc. and they or Billie just having more fun doing club shows than actual worldwide tours. I’m sure they are all so excited for the Foamf tour. So, my point is if they keep manage to balance these two situations, they’ll continue being fine, yeah very long I know could be an essay lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Bellie said:

Also, I finally had my good experience with Kevin I was waiting for. 

Last thing, I had a plush rat, for 2020 being the year of the rat, and Billie being a Rat. At some point, he took it, held it in the most weird but also cute way, and it was adorable to watch. Although I'm not sure he got the year of the rat thing 😂

Love your interaction with Kevin!

px4TPIz.jpg