Upcoming 2 Billie’s Rolling Stone Interview

Billie Joes Eyelids

I don’t think anyone is making an argument that it’s not nice to have lots of money and I think knowing what your co-workers earn because you pay them is not the same as asking a virtual stranger about how much money they make.  Usually people who deal with paying salaries etc are very sensitive about that info and would never share it, money is almost the last taboo.  Everyone knows the GD guys stories and Billie made a fair point, talking about where he/they came from and recognising where they are now.   They’ve worked very hard for a long time to get where they are and I don’t think anyone grudges them that, but it is a difficult question to answer quite briefly and not come over as a prick.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was insanely cool. Billie Eilish has definitely been my favorite current pop artist for the last year or so. A beacon of hope for the future of music. And Billie Joe has just been one of my biggest role models for the last 10+ years. No biggie 😄

41 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

That being said, Billie's constant rambling about being "messy," rebellious, and not caring anymore is getting old. Anyone feel like he's been a lot more "mid-life crisis" than he was during RevRad when he seemed to embrace the adult, father role?

I think it’s the opposite of a mid life crisis - it’s coming out the other side and reaching a place of self acceptance finally. He probably spent a lot of years frustrated with himself and finally is saying okay I’m a mess and that’s fine.  

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Boy Eilish is the fakest artist I've seen in a while. Such forced edginess and "wokeness." The overuse of "hip" words and street language is so cringey. Girl was raised by two rich white people and she talks like she grew up in the projects. "Do dat shiite." Really? Someone call the appropriation police because she's putting on a fake black accent. I mean...I get it. She's like 12. But that just makes her music creepier and more uncomfortable to me.

That being said, Billie's constant rambling about being "messy," rebellious, and not caring anymore is getting old. Anyone feel like he's been a lot more "mid-life crisis" than he was during RevRad when he seemed to embrace the adult, father role?

Billie Eilish grew up in Highland Parks Cali the average income family is around 40k a year if her parents were rich they would NOT have lived in Highland Parks...

11 hours ago, Jorgemas said:

2023 exclusive interview Billie joe with BTS. Mah dude hit the mid life crisis

If this happened I would kill myself. I cannot stand BTS. They are so manufactured and fake. It's a product, not real, genuine art. All of it is theatrics and I get that that's what K-Pop is about, but I'm just not about that. The members of the group were carefully handpicked and assembled to sell and be successful. Most of them don't even play instruments. You can't compare that to a band like Green Day who came together through hardship and friendship and formed a relationship through years of hard work, dedication, and a deep, genuine love of their music. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. Sorry, it's a, dare I say, trigger™ topic for me because I have two friends who are BTS fans and they are just insufferable. 🙄

13 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Boy Eilish is the fakest artist I've seen in a while. Such forced edginess and "wokeness." The overuse of "hip" words and street language is so cringey. Girl was raised by two rich white people and she talks like she grew up in the projects. "Do dat shiite." Really? Someone call the appropriation police because she's putting on a fake black accent. I mean...I get it. She's like 12. But that just makes her music creepier and more uncomfortable to me.

Is there a GDC award for most cynical? Because you would have it in the bag.

Not everyone who's rich has worked for it. Plenty of people inherit wealth.

Obviously, we know that's not the case for any member of Green Day. They've worked their asses off and deserve to enjoy their wealth - and they do, with their mansions and boats and whatnot. But someone can be proud of their achievements and what they have without bragging purely about being rich. Howard didn't ask Billie about his achievements or even how comfortable his life is, he asked about money. There's quite a big difference.

Think of it this way - I'm sure everyone who worked at the refinery in Rodeo all their life worked their ass off, too. Even Billie's parents did. So if he started bragging to everyone in Rodeo about how great it is to be rich, when he could easily have been one of them if he hadn't pursued music, that wouldn't be a great look. It basically assumes they haven't worked hard enough and rubs their poverty in their face. It would also be hypocritical considering that as others have mentioned, he still considers himself working-class because he's so connected to his roots.

I prefer a bit of awkwardness over "yeah, I'm filthy rich, it's amazing!" In some ways, his answer showed quite how hard he worked to escape poverty, because it showed he hadn't forgotten it.

Exactly. His answer looked like he's not out of touch with reality and that's very good to see - that he's not become arrogant about it.

Honestly, there's not much to say about him being wealthy. He gets well paid for work he does himself (basically the band creates content for a corporation that publishes and sells it, it sells well so they make lots) that's not the same thing as people inheriting wealth or living out of the surplus of their employees work. It's not like he's running a sweatshop in Bangladesh or smth equally unethical. Obviously he/the others make investments in business which is another thing, but it's not what made them rich anyway.

9 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Obviously he/the others make investments in business which is another thing, but it's not what made them rich anyway.

You are underestimating the power of Oakland Coffee 39.gif 

Seems like they keep going back and forth on their contract with Warner. At first they said they were done. Then they said they are still negotiating, and then in this interview it sounds like once again they are saying they are done with Warner.  Indie or no? When are we getting Magnum Opus? 😋

6 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

You are underestimating the power of Oakland Coffee 39.gif 

I'm just trying to persuade myself that I won't have to personally guillotine Billie and Mike when the revolution comes :cry:

7 minutes ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

Seems like they keep going back and forth on their contract with Warner. At first they said they were done. Then they said they are still negotiating, and then in this interview it sounds like once again they are saying they are done with Warner.  Indie or no? When are we getting Magnum Opus? 😋

Maybe the negotiations failed. 

20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I'm just trying to persuade myself that I won't have to personally guillotine Billie and Mike when the revolution comes :cry:

Maybe the negotiations failed. 

This interview (The Billie Billie one) was months ago though, before the FOAMF promo. You can tell that Billie Joe was still in the pompadour hair stage and a little heavier than he is now. Also remember when someone (Broken Guitars?) posted they pic of the car with Billie Eilish tagged and we speculated that they were collaborating? That’s when this interview was I’m sure.

4 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

This interview (The Billie Billie one) was months ago though, before the FOAMF promo. You can tell that Billie Joe was still in the pompadour hair stage and a little heavier than he is now. Also remember when someone (Broken Guitars?) posted they pic of the car with Billie Eilish tagged and we speculated that they were collaborating? That’s when this interview was I’m sure.

Oh you're right 

I just want two questions answered in the next interview. Why did you put a puking unicorn on your most iconic album art and I'd Magum Opus for realz? 

Side question, when can we hear the 1-800 lies single

I'm not interested in Billie Eilish but it's so cute that she's such a fangirl. I've seen some people saying it's creepy because of the age gap but that would mean Billie taking photos with any fan under 20 is creepy :P Not to mention they're professionals talking about their profession in this case. It just makes me happy for her.

I love when celebrities meet other celebrities that they look up to and like and fangirl about it. I feel like most celebrities try way too hard to act nonchalant, like oh yeah I met so and so who I've loved since kid, nbd. Eilish's excitement at meeting and chatting with Billie was so clear and it's kind of endearing. 

15 hours ago, jengd said:

I don’t think anyone is making an argument that it’s not nice to have lots of money and I think knowing what your co-workers earn because you pay them is not the same as asking a virtual stranger about how much money they make.  Usually people who deal with paying salaries etc are very sensitive about that info and would never share it, money is almost the last taboo.  Everyone knows the GD guys stories and Billie made a fair point, talking about where he/they came from and recognising where they are now.   They’ve worked very hard for a long time to get where they are and I don’t think anyone grudges them that, but it is a difficult question to answer quite briefly and not come over as a prick.

Because people are nuts about money and that's my point. People thought it was nuts Green Day made money. They're a successful business that has provided quality for a long time. They EARNED it they DESERVE it. I had a punk group of friends growing up and I found it so hard to hear people who bought into a school of thought complaining about others who buy into other schools of thought. 

@Beerjeezus mentioned that the working grind is overhyped. Personally, I live in one of the hardest markets in my country. Average price of a home is roughly about a million dollars. A condo averages around 500,000 for 500 sq ft. Unfortunately, in the specific economy I live in the grind is not an option if you want to survive. If someone turns their back to the grind and accepts a lump sum on a monthly basis to avoid it they have the freedom to do so. However, accepting that is accepting a certain situation and loss of opportunities. 

Anyways, when a middle class person such as Billie or a friend or whoever it may be has sacrificed everything and executes I don't have an inferiority complex about it. It's not appropriate to ask the AMOUNT but if they talk about the struggles they faced or challenges they overcome their current status or bank account does not cancel out their experiences and it makes them human not an asshole. Whether you are a blue collar mechanic that owns his own business, a white collar person working to protect people's data or a construction worker who's made smart investments I'm interested in hearing your story and if you're doing better than me it's irrelevant to my situation because I am extremely happy with what I have overcome in my specific situation. Also, you can't ride on the high forever. There's downward movements that will occur in life, the economy, specific businesses. It's important to see people for their character rather than some failure and help them out in a time of need. Hire someone that you know is a hard worker and a great person. 

I don't typically talk about work when I'm with people but people do ask probing questions. Let's say I've lost a lot of friends because they have an inferiority complex yet they're the ones probing. Don't probe if you don't wanna hear people are doing well. They were probing hoping for me to share some kind of failure. That sucks even more than someone being proud of their work or accomplishments and boasting about it. I want everyone to do well and if I can assist or help in anyway I would. 

One of the best friends I have were born into being a 1%er. That person has gone through so many friends because so many people in our circle thought it was freeload time. Everyone was trying to stay at his place just another day longer to experience that life. One of the reasons him and I are still great friends is because I became a friend with the PERSON and not the lifestyle. I'm also not butthurt about what his family has or has achieved. I would say he isn't the stereotypical 1%er either. He has also acknowledged my accomplishments even if they seem minuscule to the scale he is accustomed to and that's cause he is a good person. His story also starts with a middle class grind which includes overcoming racism against Italians. As an Italian I can identify with that. My grandparents and my mother have shared similar stories. I have also faced racism despite being outside the stereotypical demographic that is on the receiving end of such a thing. 

So while I do understand money as a quantifiable thing being a sensitive subject I believe speaking about challenges is human as we all have our set of unique challenges to overcome. Money in some cases is a reward for overcoming situations. In some cases it's identifying an opportunity and being willing to accept the risk. 

8 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I don't have a soul nor do I have a heart

I'm as cold blooded as Rick James

Here have an excorsism

tumblr_q070tlyi6s1wa6lubo1_400.png

Their mutual respect toward each other despite coming from very different worlds of music is lovely to see. I love that Billie hasn’t fallen into any sort of “old man yells at cloud” cynicism about younger artists. He was so genuinely kind and interested in what she had to say.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:15 PM, Beerjeezus said:

Died laughing at this! Wait, why aren't you worried about guillotining Tré?  I'm just curious comrade ;) 

Archived