New Single "Fire, Ready, Aim" Will Debut October 9th

Todd

17 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

It's hard to say this without sounding mean, but like... I like this song and I'm still surprised by how defensive people are being over negativity. I haven't seen anyone, on any platform, say they want Green Day to stay the same. Quite the opposite, actually, with lots saying they've loved past experiments and listen to all kinds of music (and these songs aren't that different for Green Day anyway). I also haven't seen any evidence that anyone has preconceived ideas of Green Day they've failed to live up to, or that anyone feels "owed" something. None of the theories people are coming up with about negativity are based on anything. People just don't like the music. There's no Deeper Meaning. It's not a personal attack on people who do like it. Disappointed fans are probably more upset about disliking new music than anyone else is.

When 21st Century Breakdown came out, it was "cool" to hate it. I got called several variations of "stupid fangirl" for liking it. That was unnecessary negativity, but it didn't ruin the album for me or put me off the fandom. I just laughed and turned up the volume. It's still cool to hate the trilogy. What's the difference? No one who dislikes the songs is being disrespectful. Personally, I much prefer a discussion where everyone openly states their opinions than one where those who disagree feel they have to be quiet, or are made to feel bad.

This applies to the entire fandom, not just GDC and it's not directed at any specific person. It's been annoying me for a while so just sayin. There's nothing wrong with disliking something and it's not a wild concept that it comes from a place of love.

I get where you are coming from, but I think this style they are going for is the most shocking departure from their sound we have ever heard.

It's the vocals and shitty mixing. 

I think the FOA is meh and Fire Ready Aim is somewhat of a decent catchy song, but to Green Day's standards I just cannot for the life of me get into the style. I don't feel anyone needs to attack anyone for their taste in what they like and don't like and I think those that are might just be overreacting and putting too much of their own opinion onto someone else like they want to feel validated if they are disliking the new music. 

21CB SOUNDS like Green Day.... Warning SOUNDS like Green Day, The Trilogy SOUNDS like Green Day..... FOA does not or at least it is the furthest sound from what we've ever heard from them.

Just my opinions, you have every right to enjoy the new songs!

14 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I’ve seen people have less of an aneurysm over Nightlife compared to these two singles, and that has me baffled.

It's easier to brush off 1 song out of 3 albums worth of material, especially knowing that DOS is sort of like a FBHT album, but hearing 2 songs from the brand new era back to back and having a majority dislike them puts people a little on edge because there are only 8 more songs that could be potentially be bad as well. That's my guess.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, rev said:

but hearing 2 songs from the brand new era back to back and having a majority dislike them

It is not a majority that dislikes them, it is a very vocal minority.  Just ask around outside of GDC and look at the like to dislike ratios on YouTube.  Definitely not a majority.

8 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It is not a majority that dislikes them, it is a very vocal minority.  Just ask around outside of GDC and look at the like to dislike ratios on YouTube.  Definitely not a majority.

People on this thread can be super negative and resistant to change.

”Whats with these PROFESSIONAL guitars??” “They should go on tour. When they’re not on tour they just sit around getting fat.” “Billie Joe is SO HAWT tho!” And those are old quotes 😆 

Now that there’s only Gibson guitars mostly for the past fifteen years and no major yo-yo-dieting and weight gains the only massive changes are the songs and the sounds and the massive evolution between sounds and experiments. 

So it just seems most negative comments come from change. And for the past 15 years there’s been a major evolution with the bands sound.

I am proud of them and will see it for what it is and what they are doing now and how exciting it is to see that they are not boring and they are growing. And maybe even getting some brand new fresh fans and friends. And losing old boring fans. That’s fine. 

I find this band so inspiring. I will grow up with them and grow with them and eventually grow old with them. But I will never grow up. I don’t think they will either. That’s a beautiful thing. Experimenting, playing, growing, evolving, getting more interesting...

LOVE THIS BAND SO MUCH!

48 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe I’ll rephrase that and say It’s one of the more controversial releases within the core fan base. 

2 hours ago, rev said:

I get where you are coming from, but I think this style they are going for is the most shocking departure from their sound we have ever heard.

I think the FOA is meh and Fire Ready Aim is somewhat of a decent catchy song, but to Green Day's standards I just cannot for the life of me get into the style. I don't feel anyone needs to attack anyone for their taste in what they like and don't like and I think those that are might just be overreacting and putting too much of their own opinion onto someone else like they want to feel validated if they are disliking the new music. 

21CB SOUNDS like Green Day.... Warning SOUNDS like Green Day, The Trilogy SOUNDS like Green Day..... FOA does not or at least it is the furthest sound from what we've ever heard from them.

It's easier to brush off 1 song out of 3 albums worth of material, especially knowing that DOS is sort of like a FBHT album, but hearing 2 songs from the brand new era back to back and having a majority dislike them puts people a little on edge because there are only 8 more songs that could be potentially be bad as well. That's my guess.

I guess some people do think it sounds different then. That's a totally valid opinion. I was more comparing past eras to explain that people should be able to express disappointment without others coming up with theories about entitlement, expectations, music taste, being no fun, etc. Most people (not all, but most) are being respectful and rational about why they dislike it, whereas in the past most weren't, so I'm just surprised that negativity is prompting more defensive reactions now.

I agree with you that the majority of hardcore fans dislike it. Of the fans I know (on Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and real life) I've only seen a few saying they like it. Obviously their opinions aren't universal, but it's not popular with hardcore fans. I still don't think more people hate this than the trilogy, though. Different complaints but the same number or more. A lot of people never returned to GDC and kind of disappeared from the fandom altogether after ¡Dos! was released.

Wow! They're blazing! And we get BJ singing at the top of his lungs! I love the LOUDNESS.

So do we think the backing vocals (the ahhs and woos) are supposed to be the Motown influence they were mentioning?

Does anybody know what software they record and produce on? Sounds expensive. What's the Industry standard for a bnad like this? I remember Foxboro's record was analog and stripped down.

I... don't hate it. :confused: 

I don't know if I actually like it though, or if I was just so disappointed by FOAM that I'll take literally anything else. It's definitely catchy. :lol: 

7 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Can you please fuck off :fuckyou: :lol:

You never add anything to the conversation other than "GDC sucks". Why are you even here? You are literally the worst aspect of GDC

can you just please put me on ignore, ive said this many times

8 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Can you please fuck off :fuckyou: :lol:

You never add anything to the conversation other than "GDC sucks". Why are you even here? You are literally the worst aspect of GDC

1 hour ago, Eric said:

can you just please put me on ignore, ive said this many times

Please take this to a PM or stop it.

8 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Have you voted yet😏

8 hours ago, rev said:

I think the FOA is meh and Fire Ready Aim is somewhat of a decent catchy song, but to Green Day's standards I just cannot for the life of me get into the style.

This is pretty much spot-on with how I'm feeling.

When I first listened to FOAM, I literally thought the wrong song had been uploaded on Spotify because I didn't think it was them. That's literally never happened. :P 

43 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Please take this to a PM or stop it.

I am doing good, it's them trying to follow me around the forum when they should block me, but ok.

5 hours ago, SqueekBatHalloweenBlaster said:

Wow! They're blazing! And we get BJ singing at the top of his lungs! I love the LOUDNESS.

So do we think the backing vocals (the ahhs and woos) are supposed to be the Motown influence they were mentioning?

Does anybody know what software they record and produce on? Sounds expensive. What's the Industry standard for a bnad like this? I remember Foxboro's record was analog and stripped down.

They use pro tools, I think for the whole process, recording, mixing and mastering

You folks reckon there is a chance we’ll see a video for every song on the album ?

At least three videos made by the band so far !!

10 hours ago, rev said:

I agree with every word you said. I think it's quite undeniable that the mixing misses its point. It's messy, chaotic (probably that's what they asked) but most of all the voice is thin, buried and too much effected. We are complaining cause we are having hard time recognizing Billie's voice; that is  their biggest hallmark.  In every song of every album I was always able to tell Billie. 

This doesn't mean that people shouldn't like the song or have to be dissuaded but there are some presumable flaws perceived by a lot of people. 

Btw I didn't see this debate being brought up only here, also on Facebook and YouTube I read many people's comments wondering the same.

Well. If challenging your fans includes making them happy, pissed, despondent, causing them to fight, question what’s going on, causes virtual riots online, creates confusion, enjoyment, and dancing, and also conspiracy theories which must be real because there is no other explanation...then consider the fans challenged. They said it would be tribal. Well it looks like the fan base tribe is in civil war.

This is a whiplash of insanity. Am I witnessing pure brilliance or a trainwreck right now? I honestly can’t answer the question yet. 

Every time I listen to these songs I hear both genius and chaos. Beauty and cringe. Where does it go from here?

This will be interesting. Can’t wait to watch these trolls turn that lightbulb on. 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, Beerjeezus said:

We're the bitchiest fandom ever that's the problem.

We’re incredibly bitchy right now and for good reason. I am amongst the bitching. 

But you bring up a great topic worth discussing. I’ve seen Phish fans (probably the most critical of all) lose their minds over a single live song in the wrong part of the set never mind an album (and their album releases are always a  disaster within the fanbase). And on the other end of the spectrum Metallica fans are super critical and generally scathing with their reviews of anything new. And at shows they stand during the old, sit during the new. Hell, at Green Day I stand for everything (well, except KFAD, may it please finally Rest In Peace). 

Common thread- the great bands have critical fans. No one’s bitching about the new Harvey Danger album and how they’re not fulfilling our expectations of their potential. 

6 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

No one’s bitching about the new Harvey Danger album

There's a WHAT??

9 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

We’re incredibly bitchy right now and for good reason. I am amongst the bitching. 

But you bring up a great topic worth discussing. I’ve seen Phish fans (probably the most critical of all) lose their minds over a single live song in the wrong part of the set never mind an album (and their album releases are always a  disaster within the fanbase). And on the other end of the spectrum Metallica fans are super critical and generally scathing with their reviews of anything new. And at shows they stand during the old, sit during the new. Hell, at Green Day I stand for everything (well, except KFAD, may it please finally Rest In Peace). 

Common thread- the great bands have critical fans. No one’s bitching about the new Harvey Danger album and how they’re not fulfilling our expectations of their potential. 

What new Harvey Danger album???

33 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

well, except KFAD, may it please finally Rest In Peace). 

I sit also - I wish everyone would follow - stop encouraging them😣

These songs literally sound like FBHT in 2019. The problem is if this WAS a FBHT everyone would LOVE it. It’s not, it’s Green Day, and with that come bigger expectations. That’s what’s causing the meltdown around here. Mid 2000s GD is gone, they had another swing at it with RevRad, but I fully expect them to walk away from ever putting out another album like AI/21stCB/RevRad. The Trilogy sound is back for good. Take that how you will...

9 minutes ago, Greenday_Aussie said:

These songs literally sound like FBHT in 2019. The problem is if this WAS a FBHT everyone would LOVE it. It’s not, it’s Green Day, and with that come bigger expectations. That’s what’s causing the meltdown around here. Mid 2000s GD is gone, they had another swing at it with RevRad, but I fully expect them to walk away from ever putting out another album like AI/21stCB/RevRad. The Trilogy sound is back for good. Take that how you will...

You make a great point here, and I was thinking the exact same thing today about how if this was FBHT people would think it was amazing (because it is).

It should be 100% about the music, and for some weird reason, people expect things from Green Day that has nothing to do with the music itself, and it’s truly sad, and unfair to Green Day.

Green Day is Billie, Mike, Tre and Co.. they are masterclass rock musicians and these first 2 singles are 100% pure stripped down rock and roll. If you don’t like it, you’re not a true Green Day fan and like them for the wrong reasons.. and should probably just leave.

5 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Well. If challenging your fans includes making them happy, pissed, despondent, causing them to fight, question what’s going on, causes virtual riots online, creates confusion, enjoyment, and dancing, and also conspiracy theories which must be real because there is no other explanation...then consider the fans challenged. They said it would be tribal. Well it looks like the fan base tribe is in civil war.

This is a whiplash of insanity. Am I witnessing pure brilliance or a trainwreck right now? I honestly can’t answer the question yet. 

Every time I listen to these songs I hear both genius and chaos. Beauty and cringe. Where does it go from here?

This will be interesting. Can’t wait to watch these trolls turn that lightbulb on. 

I think they're challenging themselves not the fanbase. I'll have to say I'm impressed with them taking such a huge risk at this point in their career. I also dig the energy they captured although I agree there is some mixing issues. Green Day could have made another Rev Rad while sleeping. We'd all be praising it and they'd be bored as fuck. 

I see a lot of people saying they haven't seen such a division in the fan base before. I just wanna point out anyone in the fanbase during American Idiot will remember that it's era was also a great divide for GD fans. When a band expands on their sound and goes into uncharted territory what happens is a core group of fans are often lost, another core group grows with you and you end up appealing to an untapped market. 

Rev Rad was a record for the fans and now this one seems to be for themselves and an untapped market. This is them pushing rock songs into 2020. 

Archived