Father Of All... (Song)

Hermione

Every new album the old Green Day soft spot in me comes out again for some reason or another.

This song absolutely stinks. Almost everything they've released beyond 2009 has been horrendous.

Just seem to have lost the WOW factor along the way for me unfortunately.

Hope everyone enjoys it and roll on the new tour to relive my youth! 

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I really do enjoy the track. It's so different, so I think it feels foreign to us and therefore we resent it. But it's still good imo. 

Now the artwork and short album length? Not a fan at all. I hope they talk more about where the aesthetic comes from. It just seems like a joke.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the song, exactly (I mean, I'd still looooove the dr. leaks to be real). But it's certainly my favourite part of the "package". Honestly, I hope that the "they're simply pissing off Warner" theory is correct, because otherwise the artwork and pathetic 26 minute length are simply pitiful...

On the other hand, if they're planning a more serious album a few years down the road, then I'm onboard, kinda. Still don't like the AI depreciative artwork one bit though...

Okay. Literally just listened to the track and my first thoughts are:

Neat, but it doesn't sound like Green Day. It's sounds very over-produced. I would like to hear more of Billie's real voice rather than the ultra filtered whatever is going on there. I'll have to think about it awhile and give it a few more listens before I pass judgement on it.

It's a fun little song. Not everything has to be an hour long rock opera with deep existential themes. 26 minutes of straightforward rnr where the band doesn't take themselves seriously is a fun idea imo

I think the new single's great (although I do like Dos too, so my opinion isn't exactly valid), but also wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the album is intentionally not-that-great and was just b-sides/filler/leftovers from the next album to finish the Warner contract, especially if they are going to release more stuff before next summer

Just now, throwaway9802 said:

I think the new single's great (although I do like Dos too, so my opinion isn't exactly valid), but also wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the album is intentionally not-that-great and was just b-sides/filler/leftovers from the next album to finish the Warner contract, especially if they are going to release more stuff before next summer

I love DOS but can’t get into this. But it’s mainly just the vocals on the verses that are so off putting. Also I would’ve loved a solo just after the bridge 

I can't hate anything Green Day does, BUT I can say I'm not a fan of the track. I can imagine how good it would sound with Billie's normal voice..... but this? no.

I’ve been a Green Day fan since 1994 and I’ve liked basically everything that they’ve put out other than Dos and now this song. It’s really bad.  Depressing. 

Where is the punk in this and what’s with that unicorn? Too commercial for Green Day (sorry Billie, Mike and Tre)

Well I wanted them to try something different, and they did!

This sounds like Blur or something! I’ll need to sit on it all day

1 minute ago, kaiserblue said:

Where is the punk in this and what’s with that unicorn? Too commercial for Green Day (sorry Billie, Mike and Tre)

I'd hardly say it's commercial, kind of the opposite

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Mostly the overproduced, heavily filtered vocals. Compare that to the crisp, pure vocals on Oh Love as a single and this one just falls so short.

4 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Mostly the overproduced, heavily filtered vocals. Compare that to the crisp, pure vocals on Oh Love as a single and this one just falls so short.

Yeah I listened to Oh Love after this one and say what you want about that song and the trilogy, but holy hell the vocals are so much better and that alone makes it a better song

Let me just say that there's no way Green Day are INTENTIONALLY putting out a poor product just to spite their label.  Why?  Because they give a fu*k about their music, about their fans, and about their legacy.  This song may not be everyone's cup of tea (and that's totally fine, I'm not crazy about it either), but I would never question the motives behind its creation.

16 minutes ago, kaiserblue said:

Where is the punk in this?

if you cant find the punk in this, 'YOURE DOING IT FUCKING WRONG!'

Maybe they will read this and see that we all think it is so bad they will go back and record the album over with better songs lol

20 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Let me just say that there's no way Green Day are INTENTIONALLY putting out a poor product just to spite their label.  Why?  Because they give a fu*k about their music, about their fans, and about their legacy.  This song may not be everyone's cup of tea (and that's totally fine, I'm not crazy about it either), but I would never question the motives behind its creation.

Then why would they make the album cover what it is, create an album that's the absolute minimum length, release an album with a hard-to-market name at a hard-to-market time, and talk about how excited they are to ditch Warner in interviews?

41 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It's a fun little song. Not everything has to be an hour long rock opera with deep existential themes. 26 minutes of straightforward rnr where the band doesn't take themselves seriously is a fun idea imo

I’m with you there. :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, throwaway9802 said:

Then why would they make the album cover what it is, create an album that's the absolute minimum length, release an album with a hard-to-market name at a hard-to-market time, and talk about how excited they are to ditch Warner in interviews?

Just because it's short and has an explicit name, doesn't mean it's going to be a bad album. I genuinely think they like the material on the album even if I'm not much of a fan of the new song. Maybe they just don't care about what Warner wants them to do with their album

5 minutes ago, throwaway9802 said:

Because it's the album they wanted to make?  I wouldn't correlate them wanting to leave their label with not caring about the product itself.  Sorry I just refuse to believe Green Day would screw over their fans like this.

Also, I'm willing to bet this song sounds a lot better as the kick off to this record.  I'm holding off any final verdict on it until I hear it within the context of the album.

I liked the song a little bit more after a few more listens.  But It's the same feeling as listening to something from Dos like....it's "fun" Green Day, but not the Green Day I want. 

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

This. Didn’t he say during Rev rad that they had lost their “fun ness” and that he missed that side of Green Day?

I f*ckin love this song. It's different, fresh, catchy, and the lyrics are awesome. Very pleased with it.  prob listened to it 20 times already. It's going to be a fun live song for sure. I like the cover but don't really get why they used the idiot logo again. Either way, I think the albums gonna rock

Ok, now I have a few mins for a clearer post:

I have to be honest, like I've already said, the song, despite being nothing special, is good and catchy. I know, it shouldn't affect the song experience. I know, you like a song or you don't. But it's the background behind its release that leaves me kinda bitter. 

Example: When Know Your Enemy videoclip came out, I was so excited about the whole record and everything. Any interview was gold. And it was all so natural and bright.

In this case, I don't know why, but hearing them talk about Warner, another tour, maybe another record, maybe, maybe, maybe, with such a non-interested tone in theri voices, I don't know. It's pretty strange. The album cover, then... All of it leaves me awkward. Let's not fool ourselves, who plays music knows that you write a song like ''Father Of All'' in 10 minutes. It's a Foxboro Hottubs song, totally. Sounds almost like Stop, Drop and Roll on reverse. But that's not the problem. Green Day always wrote songs off their own songs. Beautifully.

A single was expected in August? They forced ourselves, recorded these 10 tracks asap just for this co-tour's sake? They written it the more stripped down they could 'cause it was Warner's final one? They tried to mock Warner and all the money Warner got thanks to American Idiot, with that cover? Are they just losing their mind, quoting unicorns, when they use to write more deep statements instead of that ''fuck you'' one? I don't know.

I heard the song. I head the interview. And I thought:

Are these guys Green Day?

Anyways, I hope a few singles will ease to pain of the February wait. And that I'll be able to see them in Paris. And, in the ''worst'' scenario, yes, that, after this mega summer tour, they'll release they REAL album n. 10 (I count trilogy as one piece).

And, mostly, that they are ok and have fun, withotu getting too serious, in any case, 'cause I love them and I care.

That song is good, again.

Archived