Father of All Motherfuckers album - News and Media Coverage

Sanity Loan

3 minutes ago, petros said:

Why is it wrong to be on nfl commercials and video games? Like promoting the new music and get as many people as possible to hear it and get paid for it is a bad thing?

It's not "punk"? I don't know. It's the same argument over and over: "they're sell outs!" Why should an artist make a living from their art?

• Like 1

Yeah bands like fall out boy, maroon 5, marianas trench, good charlotte, simple plan to some extend, 30 seconds to mars and panic at the disco are the ones I can think of right now. All started playing pop-punk because it was cool in the early 00s (with the exception of maroon 5 but they where a great pop rock band) and then went full pop just to try and keep being relevant. 

It's not about signing a major label or being commercialized to me. It's about changing your music to do what's cool instead of what you're feeling at that time. That being said I believe a rock band can make pop music without being sellouts if it is natural and not forced.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, petros said:

Why is it wrong to be on nfl commercials and video games? Like promoting the new music and get as many people as possible to hear it and get paid for it is a bad thing?

Didn’t say it was wrong, just observed that was what they were doing and that it seems like an intention to cash in if they will be leaving their major label.

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Didn’t say it was wrong, just observed that was what they were doing and that it seems like an intention to cash in if they will be leaving their major label.

Yeah you're right, just seemed a bit negative on first read. 

14 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Adoseofbuckley once made a good argument towards what is and isn't "selling out". 

As he described it, selling out isn't whichever monetary ways you chose to promote your product. After all, artists should be able to live from their art if they have an audience willing to pay for their work. What's the problem in that scenario? There isn't one. 

Selling out on the other hand, is changing/adapting your content so that it can be sold better or more easily on the market, even if it contradicts deeply held personal beliefs, values or just straight out personal preferences. In a world dominated by the importance of money, we all might do this to a certain extent, but I think within reason. 

So a sell-out in his eyes (and I agree with his view) would be someone who simply goes along with the tide and tries to capitalise on what is popular or sellable, rather than simply selling or promoting what would reflect their own authentic artistic style. 

It's a fine line, but I think it is possible to draw distinctions with that definition. 

Not making any comment on the specific NFL thing, everyone should decide that for themselves. 

All valid points. I was being more sarcastic in response. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Bold Prediction Time:

- This will be Green Days most critically successful album since American idiot.

- The singles while decent, are the worst songs on the album

- In 3 years from now this album will be many people's favorite album and will be considered "underrated."

I think you're being way too optimistic. You could argue that I'm being too pessimistic but until I see something that shows a reason to be more optimistic about the album, I'll continue my pessimisim. Everything we've seen/heard about the album so far has been off. The singles, the album cover, the weird descriptions Billie's given

- FIrstly, GD are never going to have another album get close to AI level of critical or commercial success, hell I highly doubt they'll even get back to 21CB level of success. Secondly, if they did, it wouldn't be an album that has FOAM and FRA on it. Thirdly, as the music industry continues to leave rock music behind, GD's new material will go with it

- The singles are average at best to me. The rest of the songs might be better but I don't see them being amazing songs if the singles are any indication

- I don't see myself growing to like FOAM or FRA anymore than I do now but it's possible. It also seems illogical to me to make a prediction of how people will view this album years from now when we've not heard most of it.

• Like 3

I hated FOAM when I first heard it, but not only has it grown on me, I'm starting to interpret the lyrics (in a deeper way than probably was intended) and now I honestly don't hate it and am low key digging the live version.

Edited by 21st_century_gloria
I realized my grammar sucked

8 minutes ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

I hated FOAM when I first heard it, but not only has it grown on me, I'm starting to interpret the lyrics (in a deeper way than probably was intended) and now I honestly don't hate it and am low key digging the live version.

I can't say the same about FOAMF myself, because the lyrics just suck for me, but FRA I interpreted in my own personal way that made sense to me and it's one of my most played tracks right now. That's the thing about music, eh... We can always find our own meaning and make it get us through the day.

Here we go again with talking about not putting much effort into things when you absolutely do not know that. They very well could have put a ton of effort into this album. You truly do not have to like it. You can dislike things without making unsubstatiated claims. You can give real criticisms from your own perspective without relying on something you absolutely don't know.

• Like 3

Well he says that the songs feel like they haven't put effort on them. I don't see why someone is offended by that. It's constructive criticism and seeing what green day have produced in the past one can easily see how a song like fra doesn't require much effort to make.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 龑美優 (Miyu Yan) said:

Here we go again with talking about not putting much effort into things when you absolutely do not know that. They very well could have put a ton of effort into this album. You truly do not have to like it. You can dislike things without making unsubstatiated claims. You can give real criticisms from your own perspective without relying on something you absolutely don't know.

But that is a criticism in itself. That a song sounds like it hasn't had much effort put into it. It's not like we're stating it as a fact that the band didn't put any effort into it, because you're right. We can't know that. But based on what we've heard from them, one can make the conclusion that it SOUNDS like they haven't put in sufficient effort

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 龑美優 (Miyu Yan) said:

So I can't voice my opinion but also I can voice it? I don't understand what you're saying. I didn't comment on anything that I don't know. 

Also, I like Father of All...it's just that it isn't anything too new or special.

• Like 2

"which apparently to him means not putting a lot of effort into things. " is not a constructive criticism. It is building a strawman criticism that does not hold any real weight. It does not actually mean anything. By all means, constructively criticize. I take issue with that statement, however, because there is absolutely nothing to prove it. You cannot even use the end result as your proof, because many people disagree. This was not "I do not feel like effort was put into the right place", the actual statement made was "which apparently to him means not putting a lot of effort into things." 

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

So I can't voice my opinion but also I can voice it? I don't understand what you're saying. I didn't comment on anything that I don't know. 

Also, I like Father of All...it's just that it isn't anything too new or special.

I took issue mainly with "which apparently to him means not putting a lot of effort into things." As an unsubstantiated claim. Again, feel free to dislike and criticize. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 龑美優 (Miyu Yan) said:

"which apparently to him means not putting a lot of effort into things. " is not a constructive criticism. It is building a strawman criticism that does not hold any real weight. It does not actually mean anything. By all means, constructively criticize. I take issue with that statement, however, because there is absolutely nothing to prove it. You cannot even use the end result as your proof, because many people disagree. This was not "I do not feel like effort was put into the right place", the actual statement made was "which apparently to him means not putting a lot of effort into things." 

I took issue mainly with "which apparently to him means not putting a lot of effort into things." As an unsubstantiated claim. Again, feel free to dislike and criticize. 

You're really splitting hairs about my wording. This is a discussion about music, not psychotherapy.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Flashback said:

I could imagine that GD thinks that they reached everything they always wanted to reach and everything that‘s yet to come is like an encore for just having fun and enjoy playing together. I really hope that maybe in a few years they want to do one last concept album again but I‘m not that optimistic...

But look at the Rolling Stones. They did one studio album in the last 15 years I think and they still keep touring and just having fun. So why not :)

Green Day aren't the Stones. The Stones probably literally did everything they could do. They have a handful of diverse and all-time great albums. Green Day still has a lot left to explore IMO.

24 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Alright new single when? I need one more song to gauge whether or not I'm hyped for this album or not

hopefully vaguely soon considering the game awards mentioned that the beatsaber pack will have the foam singles

• BeachBum changed the title to Father of All Motherfuckers album - News and Media Coverage
  • BeachBum locked and unlocked this topic
  • BeachBum locked and unlocked this topic