Father of All Motherfuckers album - News and Media Coverage

Sanity Loan

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

You can win a night out with the band but the ticket to enter the contest is your liver.

Not a bad deal, though I prefer a kidney, I got an extra one of those 😄

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

You can win a night out with the band but the ticket to enter the contest is your liver.

If you're a Sheenius this isn't a deal breaker...

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

(This is not meant to call anybody out, or take jabs at anybody. This is just my personal opinion.)

I find the initial reaction to both Father of All... and Fire, Ready, Aim kinda ironic. Back when Nimrod and Warning came out, it was blasphemous that Green Day would want to make more complex music, both lyrically and sonically. Now? Complete 180. The band that made American Idiot wants to make fun, simple songs, whaaa??

It kind of makes sense, in my opinion. We got used to the complex music, so now the simple songs sound a little low-effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

(This is not meant to call anybody out, or take jabs at anybody. This is just my personal opinion.)

I find the initial reaction to both Father of All... and Fire, Ready, Aim kinda ironic. Back when Nimrod and Warning came out, it was blasphemous that Green Day would want to make more complex music, both lyrically and sonically. Now? Complete 180. The band that made American Idiot wants to make fun, simple songs, whaaa??

You cant honestly compare the quality of those two songs to Nimrod or Warning. I love Green Day more than anyone but come on

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jollyroger118 said:

You cant honestly compare the quality of those two songs to Nimrod or Warning. I love Green Day more than anyone but come on

Easy now. I’m not saying Father of All... is their best work, but it’s certainly not an unlistenable monstrosity that can’t be salvaged. Even you have to admit that people were initially quick to toss it under the bus when they realized it wasn’t as complex as the rumored “Magnum Opus of the Inglorious Kind”.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Don't worry, once GD releases the album after FOAM then people will look back on FOA and FRA and remember how great they were. It's a weird pattern that happens with all their releases. The previous one suddenly doesn't seem that bad :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Don't worry, once GD releases the album after FOAM then people will look back on FOA and FRA and remember how great they were. It's a weird pattern that happens with all their releases. The previous one suddenly doesn't seem that bad :lol:

It might have something to do with decreasing quality :P

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Easy now. I’m not saying Father of All... is their best work, but it’s certainly not an unlistenable monstrosity that can’t be salvaged. Even you have to admit that people were initially quick to toss it under the bus when they realized it wasn’t as complex as the rumored “Magnum Opus of the Inglorious Kind”.

Nah i'm not on the whole Magnum Opus kick but just judging the songs as GD songs they're bland and just kinda shitty for me personally. I hope to be changed by the rest of the album but I caouldnt honestly say I like these songs.

7 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It might have something to do with decreasing quality :P

Didn't Sheenius call semi-retirement last week? 

Sounds like semi-retirement to me. 

Can you hear the semi-retirement over the hill?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kaylubd said:

I must be the odd one out then, because I dug the two songs within a day or two of hearing them. :P 

I don’t know about each person individually, but I’m not looking for Kubrick-esque complexity in Green Day. I just wanna rock the fuck out and have a good time. And I say that as someone who’s favorite album of all time is American Idiot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I must be the odd one out then, because I dug the two songs within a day or two of hearing them. :P 

I don’t know about each person individually, but I’m not looking for Kubrick-esque complexity in Green Day. I just wanna rock the fuck out and have a good time. And I say that as someone who’s favorite album of all time is American Idiot.

I loved the songs pretty much right away too. The thing that excites me about this new era is that I feel like the album is gonna be a blending of all the musical styles we’ve ever heard from Green Day over its evolution.  Instead of one thing or another (the punk album, the rock opera...)  you’re gonna hear elements of punk, power pop, rock, garage, funk, etc. in a blender, taking everything they’ve ever experimented with and applying it in one genre fluid sound and making something entirely new.  

I don’t know if anyone else is familiar with Elvis Costello’s long and varied career but I felt a similar rush of excitement when I first heard his album Momofuku because to me it sounded like a master’s thesis, a culmination of all of the musical influences he had acquired over the decades and applied together to create this one beautiful thing in a whole new way.  Hearing FOAMF and FRA gives me that same feeling that Green Day have reached this level.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

I loved the songs pretty much right away too. The thing that excites me about this new era is that I feel like the album is gonna be a blending of all the musical styles we’ve ever heard from Green Day over its evolution.  Instead of one thing or another (the punk album, the rock opera...)  you’re gonna hear elements of punk, power pop, rock, garage, funk, etc. in a blender, taking everything they’ve ever experimented with and applying it in one genre fluid sound and making something entirely new.  

I don’t know if anyone else is familiar with Elvis Costello’s long and varied career but I felt a similar rush of excitement when I first heard his album Momofuku because to me it sounded like a master’s thesis, a culmination of all of the musical influences he had acquired over the decades and applied together to create this one beautiful thing in a whole new way.  Hearing FOAMF and FRA gives me that same feeling that Green Day have reached this level.

FRA reminds me of Elvis Costello 

I really love his music and I love his little comment about The Clash. He said he heard their first album and it was awful! But... he found himself listening to it over and over and over and after hearing it straight like 3-4 times in a single night he wrote Watching The Detectives. 

This kind of reminds me of when I first heard The Replacements. I laughed hard when I read it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Sheenius said:

FRA reminds me of Elvis Costello 

I really love his music and I love his little comment about The Clash. He said he heard their first album and it was awful! But... he found himself listening to it over and over and over and after hearing it straight like 3-4 times in a single night he wrote Watching The Detectives. 

This kind of reminds me of when I first heard The Replacements. I laughed hard when I read it. 

I remember that story! And yes, FRA has total Attractions vibes with that piano and organ.  It jumps out at me every time, it’s Pump It Up, it’s Radio Radio, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

And yes, FRA has total Attractions vibes with that piano and organ

Yes that exactly! The vocals as well. The vocals are building tension in the song and that's a technique that Elvis Costello has used time and time again. 

Green Day has a lot of songs that are somewhat of an ode to another movement or time in music. Another one is She's A Rebel which is practically Boxcar by Jawbreaker.

Good Riddance is an ode to Newfie Campfires

• Like 2

I came across this.  I know nothing about this guy, and this video is not what I expected.  As he’s a voice coach I was hoping for something interesting about Billie’s delivery, different voices, growl, something, and about the only thing he says about the singing is that there are other voices in there at times, not the work of a genius.  However, I was really interested in what he said about the band and the song because this is what I hear.  I really don’t get all the comments about it being lazy!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jengd said:

I came across this.  I know nothing about this guy, and this video is not what I expected.  As he’s a voice coach I was hoping for something interesting about Billie’s delivery, different voices, growl, something, and about the only thing he says about the singing is that there are other voices in there at times, not the work of a genius.  However, I was really interested in what he said about the band and the song because this is what I hear.  I really don’t get all the comments about it being lazy!

I saw that and thought the same thing. I was hoping he would break it down and describe the vocal from a technical standpoint but he really doesn’t, he mostly just listens along and praises it. Glad he likes it though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jengd said:

I like this guy lmao 

I was expecting more actual vocal breakdown rather than him speaking about the drumming 

• Like 1

Why are there so many vocal coaches on youtube reacting to songs from pop-punk/alt rock bands? I've never listened to any but they're constantly popping up on my recommended and stuff

• Like 1

• BeachBum changed the title to Father of All Motherfuckers album - News and Media Coverage
  • BeachBum locked and unlocked this topic
  • BeachBum locked and unlocked this topic