Next Album Anticipation Thread....Chapter 2

Hermione

The bad thing about the sep/feb thing is that they will probably drop a new song each month to build some kind of hype towards the new record (based on the other crush music releases), and I really didn't want to hear anything but the lead single until the whole thing got public this time... so it'll be a hard thing to do if I have to skip 5 months of new song releases 'till the album

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Alf said:

The bad thing about the sep/feb thing is that they will probably drop a new song each month to build some kind of hype towards the new record (based on the other crush music releases), and I really didn't want to hear anything but the lead single until the whole thing got public this time... so it'll be a hard thing to do if I have to skip 5 months of new song releases 'till the album

Yeah, trying to avoid the singles will suck but so will listening to them. At least for me knowing half the songs spoils the excitement for the album.

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah, trying to avoid the singles will suck but so will listening to them. At least for me knowing half the songs spoils the excitement for the album.

Exactly. I really wanted to to listen to everything at once, y'know, just like we used to do 15 years ago

Nobody's ever liked multiple album singles being released in advance, it's why in the 60s you'd have multiple non-album singles between LPs, back when albums were expensive it'd be considered a ripoff to get it and have heard half the songs already.

3 minutes ago, Alf said:

Exactly. I really wanted to to listen to everything at once, y'know, just like we used to do 15 years ago

Yeah, I'd listen to a single or two but hearing a whole album for the first time is the shit.

But I'm afraid that's what they're doing. The Feb thing suggest that not that much is expected from the album, so they'll at least try to boost the streaming numbers with a fuckton of singles.

Yep, with Revrad I avoided all the leaks until I got the album but that’s going to be impossible if all this speculation is right.  Just shows how nobody is really making albums and expecting them to sell.  Who cares if there’s an album 5 months later for most artists and I think it goes against the short attention span thing too, or have people forgotten the early singles by that stage?

It's because the concept of an album has a relatively small meaning on streaming platforms like Spotify or even YouTube. If you can assemble your playlists freely or just play songs on shuffle, what role does an album play? There's obviously still enough people who care, since it's still profitable for most larger bands to still sell albums, usually for digital download, as well as on CD/Vinyls. But outside that small demographic, it makes more financial sense to advertise songs individually and hope they sell/do well on these platforms. The hope is, the more people come across a new Green Day song in their recommended videos/songs, the more will buy tickets to the upcoming tour. And that is where the real money is then made. 

41 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

It's because the concept of an album has a relatively small meaning on streaming platforms like Spotify or even YouTube. If you can assemble your playlists freely or just play songs on shuffle, what role does an album play? There's obviously still enough people who care, since it's still profitable for most larger bands to still sell albums, usually for digital download, as well as on CD/Vinyls. But outside that small demographic, it makes more financial sense to advertise songs individually and hope they sell/do well on these platforms. The hope is, the more people come across a new Green Day song in their recommended videos/songs, the more will buy tickets to the upcoming tour. And that is where the real money is then made. 

Absolutely, it's the way to go about promoting an album these days. As a member of the small demographic that cares, I'm still bummed out, but it's definitely the right thing to do business-wise.

I am really wondering if there will be a cd release this time, since The Longshot hasn't one. 

1 hour ago, Libertine Angel said:

Nobody's ever liked multiple album singles being released in advance, it's why in the 60s you'd have multiple non-album singles between LPs, back when albums were expensive it'd be considered a ripoff to get it and have heard half the songs already.

I wouldn’t mind if they went back to that — if Green Day released five non-album new singles and then an entirely new album later. That would actually be really cool and would still build hype for the album instead of releasing half of it in advance. I’m sure they’re not doing that but it’s a great idea.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I wouldn’t mind if they went back to that — if Green Day released five non-album new singles and then an entirely new album later. That would actually be really cool and would still build hype for the album instead of releasing half of it in advance. I’m sure they’re not doing that but it’s a great idea.

would be cool if the singles got a physical release again

1 minute ago, Alf said:

would be cool if the singles got a physical release again

YES. The CD single is a relic that I refuse to let go of.

28 minutes ago, Alf said:

I am really wondering if there will be a cd release this time, since The Longshot hasn't one. 

Well the Longshot was only a side project. It would be a stupid move to not have a physical release for a Green Day album. I think there would most definitely be a CD release, plus vinyl and special edition colored vinyl!

1 minute ago, GDFan2019 said:

Well the Longshot was only a side project. It would be a stupid move to not have a physical release for a Green Day album. I think there would most definitely be a CD release, plus vinyl and special edition colored vinyl!

I hope it get as many versions that it could have, even a cassette release would be cool. And I hope they continue releasing a book version too

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah, I'd listen to a single or two but hearing a whole album for the first time is the shit.

But I'm afraid that's what they're doing. The Feb thing suggest that not that much is expected from the album, so they'll at least try to boost the streaming numbers with a fuckton of singles.

Unfortunately that’s the standard model for releases now. So there must be something about it that works?

Edit: I need to learn to read all the posts before commenting 😬

3 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

Edit: I need to learn to read all the posts before commenting 😬

Why do you even wanna bother to read all the baseless, senseless stuff over and over again? 😛

If they release a bunch of singles for the album i know no matter how much I say I will only listen to a couple, I will end up listening to all of them and then be sad  

Ive been having a system of if the album is 10-12 songs long i only listen to the first 2 singles, if its 15 or more i tend to do 3 or so. I made the mistake of listening to all of Death of a Bachelor's singles and thus new 6/10 tracks before it came out, same with American Gothic by Creature Feature.

Is this the car that was used during RevRad era?  If so Matt suggested it was going to be used for the new album too. 

Could this meaning anything?

(lots of ifs and maybes I know)

5 minutes ago, scottnz6789 said:
Is this the car that was used during RevRad era?  If so Matt suggested it was going to be used for the new album too. 

Could this meaning anything?

(lots of ifs and maybes I know)

This is the car from the revrad promos. 

Broken Guitars is his & Bill S's guitar shop. 

The car in Still Breathing video was NOT the same as the one Broken Guitars just posted. Two different manufacturers. One Ford (RevRad car) One is Dodge (Still Breathing)

1 minute ago, DadBod said:

This is the car from the revrad promos. 

Broken Guitars is his & Bill S's guitar shop. 

The car in Still Breathing video was NOT the same as the one Broken Guitars just posted. Two different manufacturers. One Ford (RevRad car) One is Dodge (Still Breathing)

I didn’t think he said it was going to have something to do with the album did he? Just that it was being brought back out and repurposed for something. This could have been it. Advertising.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I didn’t think he said it was going to have something to do with the album did he? Just that it was being brought back out and repurposed for something. This could have been it. Advertising.

Yes. He said that (or at least that's how it read to me). This feels more like a weird BJ advert thing for his store than a "let's use this for our next GD album promo" thing.

And yeah why is the car tagged for Billie Joe and Billie Eilish? That is odd. Anyone think they’re collaborating (or did?)

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And yeah why is the car tagged for Billie Joe and Billie Eilish? That is odd. Anyone think they’re collaborating (or did?)

I would love to see that happening 😶

1 minute ago, J a c said:

I would love to see that happening 😶

Me too I think she’s cool (or were you being sarcastic?)

• Khaleesi. locked this topic

Archived