The Nimrods Podcast - new Green Day discussion podcast!

TheNimrodsPodcast

19 hours ago, jengd said:

I think you maybe also helped me work out what’s wrong with the Trilogy, from my point of view anyway.  When I listen to many of the songs, I think “that’s a good song” but something didn’t work particularly well, maybe it is too clean, just the wrong production for them.

Yeah a lot of the newer stuff, and especially the Trilogy, is tricky to talk about and rank because a lot of it definitely achieves "good song" status and if a lot of those songs existed in a vacuum or were disconnected from the context of Green Day I would probably feel more strongly about them. But in the context of Green Day it's like "yeah that's cool *shrug*" vs if it was some new band we'd probably be less likely to get hung up on the production or the lyrics and take it more on face value as just "I'm enjoying this rockin song." But with a band as incredible Green Day "good rockin song" is more like the middle than the top haha. 

But yeah that's a super long winded way of saying the production definitely hangs me up sometimes haha. I really wonder what an alternate universe version of the Trilogy might sound like with more Nimrod-ish production. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

But yeah that's a super long winded way of saying the production definitely hangs me up sometimes haha. I really wonder what an alternate universe version of the Trilogy might sound like with more Nimrod-ish production. 

I think Billie wonders the same thing that’s why he released an Otis remix of Fell For You in 2017. He promised more but we never got more, but he did play Trilogy songs with The Longshot trying to breathe new life into them. They still sound great live. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yo for real though ranking these songs are hard as fuck. I've been ranking after each episode and shit is frustrating. My list is incredibly wacky looking.

• Like 1

Haha yeah we're definitely starting to get to the point where it's really tough to rank all these wildly different songs against one another. But we're committed to the gimmick! 

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe you guys should just drop the news segment and discussion of new singles and promotion after all because you’re just bringing the room down.

Analysis for ranking is one thing (although it’s getting to the point where I can predict where you’ll place every song before you do it based on the era it comes from) but so far all your talk of the new music is pretty nasty. If it’s not your thing fine, but I was drawn to this podcast because of your clear love of the band and appreciation of their talents. The way you’re ripping apart and mocking this new era is pretty difficult to listen to as a fan and it’s turning me off the whole thing. So maybe just stick to the ranking? 

• Like 3

I'm with @pacejunkie punk, I am really sorry you don't like the new stuff but your just beginning to sound like you need to open you minds up a bit, we get the early stuff is important to you but would you really want them to keep doing the same stuff again and again, I sure don't.   I actually have fallen behind a bit as I was pretty fed up with your mocking the new stuff which I love but heh, it's fine to disagree about it.  Shame if you're not on board though, think you could miss out on a great era!

• Like 2

I haven’t listened to the latest one yet because of the new song/album talk from the last episode that really put me off. 

I’m with @pacejunkie punk and @jengd. It’s okay if you don’t like it, but why shit-talk it? That entire “special episode” for FOAMf made me not want to listen to the podcast, but I listened to the next one and you still shit-talked a song that was out for a week when it has nothing to do with the songs you were actually ranking.

If you’re gonna criticize the work of a band you say your a fan of, make it constructive.

Finally, who wants to listen to an artist remake the same sounding album after album. Talk about boring...

These guys aren’t 18 anymore. Their lives have changed. Billie isn’t pining after a crush who broke his heart. They’ve grown up, lived through experiences, have families/wives. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I haven’t listened to the latest one yet because of the new song/album talk from the last episode that really put me off. 

I’m with @pacejunkie punk and @jengd. It’s okay if you don’t like it, but why shit-talk it? That entire “special episode” for FOAMf made me not want to listen to the podcast, but I listened to the next one and you still shit-talked a song that was out for a week when it has nothing to do with the songs you were actually ranking.

If you’re gonna criticize the work of a band you say your a fan of, make it constructive.

Finally, who wants to listen to an artist remake the same sounding album after album. Talk about boring...

These guys aren’t 18 anymore. Their lives have changed. Billie isn’t pining after a crush who broke his heart. They’ve grown up, lived through experiences, have families/wives. 

Yes to all this.

And to add insult to injury, this week they shit all over the NHL deal. It’s like I’m not listening to a fan podcast anymore, it sounds more like the whiny people on social media who are still stuck in 1994 and calling Green Day sellouts.  It’s sad. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yes to all this.

And to add insult to injury, this week they shit all over the NHL deal. It’s like I’m not listening to a fan podcast anymore, it sounds more like the whiny people on social media who are still stuck in 1994 and calling Green Day sellouts.  It’s sad. 

Ugh. Now I don’t want to listen at all. Thanks for the warning/heads up.

People need to understand that Green Day is also a business who employs a team of people who have families to support. You may not agree with their business decisions, but show respect to them that they are doing things to keep their team of amazing behind the scenes people employed. 

• Like 2

The NHL deal is probably the best deal they could have done. I think it's fucking amazing!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I understand the dislike for the nhl deal, but with the direction they're going, it seems wise to wait until they make a exclusive promo deal to write tampon ad jingles for the next 10 years and then complain lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

I understand the dislike for the nhl deal, but with the direction they're going, it seems wise to wait until they make a exclusive promo deal to write tampon ad jingles for the next 10 years and then complain lol

Perhaps a little harsh!

Not sure what’s the specific complaint here since I didn’t listen to the podcast, but the band has always been part of similar deals. In the past they: 

- Released a cover of I fought the law through an Apple commercial about piracy

- Sold the rights for know your enemy to ESPN and Comcast 

- Released a song through an Angry birds Facebook videogame

- Release a bunch of songs through a very  shitty CSI episode

And these are just a bunch of examples that came to my mind right now. This NHL deal looks like gold in comparison, especially since there seems to be a long pre-existent relationship between the band and the hockey world. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jengd said:

Perhaps a little harsh!

Maybe but you never know

1 hour ago, J a c said:

Not sure what’s the specific complaint here since I didn’t listen to the podcast, but the band has always been part of similar deals. In the past they: 

- Released a cover of I fought the law through an Apple commercial about piracy

- Sold the rights for know your enemy to ESPN and Comcast 

- Released a song through an Angry birds Facebook videogame

- Release a bunch of songs through a very  shitty CSI episode

And these are just a bunch of examples that came to my mind right now. This NHL deal looks like gold in comparison, especially since there seems to be a long pre-existent relationship between the band and the hockey world. 

All of that was shitty, but the anti-piracy commercial is just embarrassing. Makes me want to go download the song illegally 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Maybe but you never know

All of that was shitty, but the anti-piracy commercial is just embarrassing. Makes me want to go download the song illegally 

I’m pretty sure back then I downloaded the mp3 file in my iPod from emule or something like that :P 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J a c said:

I’m pretty sure back then I downloaded the mp3 file in my iPod from emule or something like that :P 

If only Billie saw you!!! :shok:

• Haha 3

I think the podcast is pretty cool, but yeah, they can be pretty harsh some times. Not as bad as those guys who run that crappy Alkaline Trio podcast and always say bad things about our troops!!!

Oh god you guys comon. They have different opinions that doesn't mean they're wrong or being to harsh.  I personally like seeing the perspective of people who don't like their newer stuff to much

I have no problem with different opinions but it feels like the guys aren’t giving the new stuff a chance and are flat out taking the piss but hey, each to their own.  They maybe just need to bear in mind that they might start losing some of us who like the new stuff - that is really not meant to sound like a threat - as some of what they say they love is clearly in the new stuff but it’s their podcast so I guess they can do and say what they want.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jengd said:

- that is really not meant to sound like a threat -

It’s a promise indeed 2.gif 

I enjoy this podcast! It's helping to fill the void since the dangling end of Kenn Edwards and Patrick Miller's Welcome to Paradise that I loved - which if you're looking for less harsh opinions and more in-depth album research/analysis in your Green Day podcast you should check out.

Keep up the great work: solid format, nice to hear people talking about my favourite band and forcing me to confront and consider the thoughts I have on the music... although, how uncomfortable they were with the use of the word "minority" in Minority still boggles my mind. Keep doing you, no matter how "your confession will be crucified" by some fellow fans... East Jesus Nowhere forever!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Austin_of_Suburbia said:

I enjoy this podcast! It's helping to fill the void since the dangling end of Kenn Edwards and Patrick Miller's Welcome to Paradise that I loved - which if you're looking for less harsh opinions and more in-depth album research/analysis in your Green Day podcast you should check out.

I’m definitely checking that out thank you!

• Like 1

OK, I have forgiven you enough to catch up again😂.  I really enjoyed the new podcast, totally agree with so much of what you said about Coming Clean, I put it at no 7 and I expected you to slam Outlaws but it felt like you gave it a fair hearing, in fact you made me listen to it again and re-evaluate my placing as I had found it a more disposable track on Revolution Radio.  Did you know there was talk at the time of release that it was almost a love song for Mike?  

I'm guessing you hate Ready, Aim Fire right?  🤣 Baby got the hyperbole has got to be one of my fav Billie lyrics, need to add it to my GD hoody!

• Like 2