Dunlop Unveils the Dookie Drive

desertrose

Sound good. As I’ve said give it 6 months or so to drop down in price and it’s good value but right now I don’t think it is 

Why the hell is he playing tacky metal riffs on a punk pedal?

That instagram sample sounded lovely though!

• Like 1

@Joe. Yeah it does sound pretty good, although they never seem able to get quite the mids and bass right, it's a bit trebly. Very close though, could also be the settings he used.

Btw (and this is a question to everyone): I'm not that experienced with pedals (only have a few overdrive, reverb and chorus pedals myself, mostly from Boss), but what ideally would be a good basis amp to use for this bad boy, or is it intended for the specific Marshall amps only? 

There's some good sounds in those videos, but to me it confirmed some of my suspicions... They said they borrowed Pete and meat from Billie to study billie's tone, and they are not the actual Dookie amps. Billie didn't get "meat" until they were recording insomniac, if you watch videos of them live you can see that in the Dookie era Billie only used "Pete" at live shows, then during the insomniac era he started using both amps, and he's still using those 2 amps live, so really this pedal is to get a lot of billie's tones, live and recorded. I still suspect Billie only used the one amp on Dookie, and you can get that sound out of this pedal, plus other tones. Here's a fun fact... The actual Pete amp wasn't used on Dookie. Rob covallo had a modded Marshall amp and that's what Billie used on the recording, and then Billie liked it so much that he ended up getting the same amp with the same mods (I heard it was actually a gift from the record label)... I know I'm just splitting hairs at this point lol, I just wanted to share some info I picked up over the years. This does seem like a cool pedal, but if I didn't spend money on billie's eyeliner last year then I probably won't be spending money on this either 😂

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

@Joe. Yeah it does sound pretty good, although they never seem able to get quite the mids and bass right, it's a bit trebly. Very close though, could also be the settings he used.

Btw (and this is a question to everyone): I'm not that experienced with pedals (only have a few overdrive, reverb and chorus pedals myself, mostly from Boss), but what ideally would be a good basis amp to use for this bad boy, or is it intended for the specific Marshall amps only? 

you basically want a 15 watt or higher tube amp with a master volume. that way you can get the headroom needed without the whole thing sounding like a bunch of farts in a wooden box.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Yeah I’d go for a Fender Bassbreaker if you’ve got the budget

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, Josh100_3 said:

Don’t give a fuck about price. I’m buying this pedal.

People may laugh at me and say I'm an idiot but I just preordered mine from Sweetwater...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jet Taman said:

People may laugh at me and say I'm an idiot but I just preordered mine from Sweetwater...

I am not one to buy gear just because of a name attached to it. With that said, this sounds like a great pedal. No judgements at all from me. 

6 hours ago, Jet Taman said:

Nah man there’s nothing wrong with that, just saying in my experience a lot of signature gear drops in price about 6 months after release (I’m lusting after a silver sky and it’s happened there, as well as with slash’s signature pedals)

6 hours ago, Jet Taman said:

Nah go for it dude. I’m from Australia so I can’t really order one yet, but people waste money on booze, AirPods, cars...

a dookie pedal is at least creative! Music gear is never a waste of money haha

• Like 2

As much as this pedal's announcement excited me, it also felt like kind of a slap in the face. Like, I've spent so much time and money over the years chasing Billie's tone (both live and in the studio), and now that I'm at my current rig that - no joke - sounds incredibly close to it while also still feeling uniquely me at the same time, only NOW do they announce a single tiny piece of gear that's meant to be exactly what I've been looking for this whole time. 

I dunno, I'm so in love with my current rig and it sounds close enough to Billie's tone to the point where I'm pretty satisfied. And all the demos of this pedal I've heard so far have just sounded a little tiny bit off (even the good ones) that I'm not so sure I wanna risk it, especially at that price point. 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

As much as this pedal's announcement excited me, it also felt like kind of a slap in the face. Like, I've spent so much time and money over the years chasing Billie's tone (both live and in the studio), and now that I'm at my current rig that - no joke - sounds incredibly close to it while also still feeling uniquely me at the same time, only NOW do they announce a single tiny piece of gear that's meant to be exactly what I've been looking for this whole time. 

I dunno, I'm so in love with my current rig and it sounds close enough to Billie's tone to the point where I'm pretty satisfied. And all the demos of this pedal I've heard so far have just sounded a little tiny bit off (even the good ones) that I'm not so sure I wanna risk it, especially at that price point. 😕

What's your current setup? I have a Marshall jcm2000 and a 212 Marshall cab. My main guitar is a warmoth strat/tele hybrid

9 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

What's your current setup? I have a Marshall jcm2000 and a 212 Marshall cab. My main guitar is a warmoth strat/tele hybrid

Oh wow, well since you're a whole lot closer to Billie's sound with your Marshall stack, I should clarify that my rig is the best BUDGET setup that'll get you really close! LOL I have a few different guitars, my two main ones being a Dillion LP Junior copy and a Glen Burton goldtop LP copy, and I run those through a Wampler Plexi-Drive and a TS9 into a Vox MV50 Rock head, and I run that from the emulated line-out into a Blackstar ID:Core 40 that I use more or less as just a cabinet.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

I’d hold on for a while, try it out in a shop, wait for the price to go down then pull the trigger based on your setup. If you had @Maddie86‘s rig then it wouldn’t be worth it

35 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I’d hold on for a while, try it out in a shop, wait for the price to go down then pull the trigger based on your setup. If you had @Maddie86‘s rig then it wouldn’t be worth it

Oh absolutely! Like I said in my reply to her, she's WAY closer to Billie's tone than I am or even the Dookie Drive is! lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joe. said:

Nah man there’s nothing wrong with that, just saying in my experience a lot of signature gear drops in price about 6 months after release (I’m lusting after a silver sky and it’s happened there, as well as with slash’s signature pedals)

Wait seriously? I'm waiting to order this than.

10 hours ago, Liam said:

Wait seriously? I'm waiting to order this than.

Yeah. The silver sky went down a couple hundred dollars and the slash gear went down about 40 dollars. This also happened with the new Fender American range.

Im now paranoid that it won’t happen here, but there’s certainly precedent that suggests it could.

This is also a trade convention so I assume that is a suggested retail price but retailers could always choose to sell it for less. 

On 1/26/2019 at 2:05 AM, xLumian said:

I am not one to buy gear just because of a name attached to it. With that said, this sounds like a great pedal. No judgements at all from me. 

I have no willpower and am a sucker when anything musically has "Green Day" or "Billie Joe" on it.  

• Like 1

I haven't listened to the video that showcases the pedal yet nor do i own a tube amp. I only have an old early 90's teal stripe Peavey Bandit 112 & a Line 6 Spider IV 2x12 combo from when i was a bit younger (about 10 yrs ago). I thought that Billy gets most of his sound from his heavy "arm like" pumping/strumming anyways & that he doesn't necessarily use a ton of distortion/gain (or at least not until Insomniac)? When i listened to Insomniac the other day i did notice the difference in tone from Dookie (the guitars do sound more distorted).

I think most people (starting out that is) would be better off with a smaller, lower wattage tube amplifier and an overdrive pedal which is really what i want to get at some point. Although i suppose this pedal would work as well. I've only been able to get a decent sound out of a distortion/overdrive pedal when using it as a boost but that's mainly because me & my friends don't necessarily have the best equipment 😄 

At this price range this pedal is probably somewhat considered a boutique pedal (or at least niche) even though there are way more expensive pedals for sale. I'll have to check out the video & see how it sounds. I'm still wondering how MXR managed to squeeze down his two Marshalls into a pedal...😏

• 5 months later...

Watching Billie play guitar and talk about playing guitar is awesome :wub: 

• Love 3