Jason White vs Kevin Preston? Who do you Prefer?

1039Revolutions

3 hours ago, Hermione said:

Oh also fun fact, Kevin auditioned to be a touring member of Green Day but he couldn't sing high enough notes for what they needed so they went with Jeff Matika instead.

šŸ˜² Do you mean we could have had Kevin instead of Jeff?Ā 

That probably worked out better for him though because it would have sucked for Kevin to be third guitar in the back most of the time. I get the feeling thatā€™s how Jeff likes it.Ā 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just gonna be honest and take the backlash. I love Jason and GD would never replace him, but I would love to see Kevin in place of him.Ā I have been so impressed with what if seen and heard from Kevin inĀ the last few weeks. If he toned down his stage antics, which I think he would, he just has the perfect attitude and presence. I can see why Billie has such a crush on him šŸ˜

Jason, definitely. Kevin may be a good guitarist, but I'm just not personally into really flashy musicians.

No I'd never want to replace Jason! He may be very calm on stage but I like it that way and I just love the guyĀ :wub:
Would like for Kevin, or anyone, to replace Jeff Matika though. Too bad he apparently can't singĀ those high notes.Ā 

Ā I think Billie should get rid of both and replace them with me. I won't overshadow Billie with my guitar skills.

21 hours ago, Spike said:

The Big Three are Jason, Jason and Ronnie, thank you very much ;)Ā 

JW all the way. He's a brilliant player and isn't there to have the limelight. He knows his role and plays it perfectly.

When I think of Ronnie Blake, I hear his name being screamed by Billlie Joe during the band introductions.Ā  That's the only way I can hear it now.Ā  "RONNIE BLAAAKE!"Ā 

According to wikipedia, the most accurate site on the internet, he only played with them 2004-2005.Ā  He's got his own wikipedia page and there are some interesting things on there.Ā  Ā  He just dropped a Jazz record that Green Day fans probably wouldn't care too much for.Ā Ā 

I really wouldn't mind the "original" Big Three joining.Ā  People would freak out, thinking that they were about to do something American Idiot-esque.Ā  Ā I can see all six of them in their best red and black duds.Ā  Ā Epic!Ā 

According to said site, there have been a total of 17 members of Green Day!!!Ā  3 current members, 5 former members, 3 current touring members and 6 former touring members.Ā Ā 

Back onto this ridiculous topic though......I am more familiar with Jason than Kevin, so he wins hands down.Ā  Would I be upset if Green Day made Kevin Green Day's fourth member - not at all.Ā  Ā But I'd more pumped for Jason.Ā  Ā Jason is the only "official official" member of Green Day to have never gotten to sing a song on a studio album.Ā  Ā That is definitely something I want to hear.Ā Ā 

Kevin, his other band is okay but eh.Ā Ā 

I'm kind of on Team Dirnt when it comes to my favorite member if you must know.Ā Ā 

I could get down with a Mike and Jason-led band.Ā  Both of them splitting lead vocals and Tre Cool on the drum set - THAT would be fun.Ā  Ā  Maybe Diesel from The Longshot could play bass or something.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Oversimplifying a bit but here goes: Jason would answer by saying it's Kevin. And Kevin would answer by saying it's Kevin. So therefore it's Jason all the way. Not a knock against Kevin at all, but Jason is perfect for his role with GD.

Love Kevin, but Jason gets my vote!

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

šŸ˜² Do you mean we could have had Kevin instead of Jeff?Ā 

That probably worked out better for him though because it would have sucked for Kevin to be third guitar in the back most of the time. I get the feeling thatā€™s how Jeff likes it.Ā 

Yeah Aaron Cometbus talked about it in In China With Green Day. They were looking for someone who could play extra guitar and sing higher backing vocals so he just didn't fit what they needed. I agree with you that Jeff fits better (and also that Jason fits better), Kevin's such aĀ showman that it wouldn't be right for him, and a more upfront second guitaristĀ would upset the dynamic of Billie, like, commanding the show and Mike and Tre's roles complementing that.

Gosh, I need to read such a thread topic to realize how much I care about Jason.Ā He is amazing, and perfect in Green Day.Ā 

I never checked Prima Donna stuff but Kevin, even though he is a talented guitarist and cute (but not my type), and even though he does interact a lot with Billie (in a lovable way) in the Longshot shows, doesn't take the spotlight from him at all, for me. HeĀ has stage presence and doesn't seem to restrict it, but watching footage, I pay the same attention to each of the 3 members of the Longshot aside from Billie, who has >90% of it.Ā So it's not for the showman collusion dilemma reasonĀ (whether it's Longshot or GD there's no doubt it's Billie commanding :P), but I can't see Peaches playing a similar role in Green day instead of Jason.

I like Jason and I think noone should replace him, but I'd LOVE to see Kevin instead of Jeff as 3rd guitarist of Green Day.

I can't be objective because Kevin and the Prima Donna boys are like friends to me (I've seen their shows so many times and partied with them afterwards, they're such cool guys and very good musicians), if you are not familiar with Prima Donna music I really suggest you to check them out.

The Longshot is the band I've always dreamt of, I'm so happy and proud to see Kevin and David playing with Billie.Ā 

I also think that Kevin is an incredibly good and talented guitar player, he has so much energy on stage and he's very good at improvise guitar solos, he doesn't steal the spotlight at all, so it would be awesome to see him as a touring member of Green Day.Ā :happy:

I don't know enough about Kevin (bad fan, I know) to give an opinion. That said, I've been watching Jason stand stage right for almost 20 years. Green Day will always be Billie Joe, Mike and Tre Cool to me, but at this point I just can't imagine anyone but Jason white as The Unofficial fourth member.

Despite all his years in the band, I feel no real attachment to Jason. I find him dull as a performer though I have no doubt heā€™s a lovely person. However,Ā I already like Kevin from the few clips Iā€™ve seen. That said, I wouldnā€™t replace Jason because I see Green Day as Billie, Mike, and Tre and Iā€™d rather they stand out and everyone else kinda stay hidden in the background. Plus, he shouldnā€™t be replaced. He does his job well and has for so long.Ā Kevinā€™s great but the more personalities you put on the stage, the less each one shines. Iā€™d rather just see him find more success with his own band and have fun with Billie on the side projects.

Archived