Longshot album Love is for Losers

Eric

1 hour ago, J a c said:

I hope he will release Devil's kind but with a robotic voice filter. 

I am loving all the Tim & Eric references.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listened to the album in full.

Turn Me Loose and Soul Surrender stand out on the first listen but I really like the whole album.  I think this is a very strong album considering it's just a side-project, I don't usually get that into the non-Green Day stuff Billie does but I could easily listen to this on repeat.

Best songs to me are The Last Time, Chasing A Ghost, Happiness and Soul Surrender

10 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

NME says it’s Billie Joe’s best album since American Idiot...

http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/longshot-love-losers-review

No way would I agree with that. The trilogy is better. RevRad is better. And it doesn't even compare with 21CB

Not sure I agree with "best since AI". It's a strong album and I'm really enjoying it as a whole (morning dance party while getting ready for work), but 21CB is miles above this.

I love this album so much what a fucking fantastic surprise! The Last Time is my favorite but everything is really better than I thought it would be. Oh! the order of the songs is great too. Gonna be honest I think I might like this more than RevRad and that scares me haha.

10 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I guess they forgot 21st CB and Stop Drop and Roll exist

I guess they forgot it's not a Green Day album... :P

1 minute ago, disappearingfs said:

I guess they forgot it's nto a Green Day album... :P

They did say Billie Joe album to be fair :P 

Just now, Hermione said:

They did say Billie Joe album to be fair :P 

Yeah, it's what I mean, they're comparing Billie Joe to Green Day :P

1 minute ago, disappearingfs said:

Yeah, it's what I mean, they're comparing Billie Joe to Green Day :P

True. I know it's a positive review but it annoyed me a bit, seems like half of it is just an excuse to make digs and act like they've done nothing good since AI

24 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Best songs to me are The Last Time, Chasing A Ghost, Happiness and Soul Surrender

No way would I agree with that. The trilogy is better. RevRad is better. And it doesn't even compare with 21CB

😂😂😂😂 thank you 

10 hours ago, Jollyroger118 said:

Last Time is one of the best songs he's ever written about addiction and that's saying a lot

Billie wrote that song for a musical called These Paper Bullets.  The song is about problems in a relationship not addiction.  It fits the whole love is for losers concept.

Another tour date added

https://www.fr.greenland.ca/event/view/the-longshot-foufounes-electriques-montreal-2018-05-29-tickets-2120

Electric Foufounes
Montreal

Tuesday, May 29

Doors: 6 pm // Show: 7 pm

Tickets: $ 27.50 in advance / $ 32 at the door. Additional service fees may apply online.
IMPORTANT: tickets will call only (no etickets) to be collected at the door on the evening of the show.
Proof of identity with photo + credit card required

Six Key Take Aways From A First Listen To Billie Joe Armstrong’s The Longshot Debut Album

http://www.kerrang.com/features/six-key-take-aways-from-a-first-listen-to-billie-joe-armstrongs-the-longshot-debut-album/

The whole album is just awesome, you can hear Billie Joe having fun with this.  Totally a FXHT type vibe.  Favs so far are Turn Me Loose and Happiness.  BJ strikes again, I can’t remember not having the chorus to Happiness in my head.  At sever risk of bringing down the gods, in the context of the whole album I don’t have a problem with the filters/effects and love the whistles and laughs.  

@Todd, I have a good quality version of Highway 1 and I will either have got it from ITunes, Amazon or the download section here, don’t know which now.  I find Amazon sometimes has things tucked away which aren’t on iTunes.  

Soul Surrender and Turn Me Loose are pretty much on repeat for me right now. I just wanna have a dance party in my office. Damn, it's times like this that I wish I had real walls and a door and not cubicle walls.

Edit: Body Bag is growing on me. I think the youtube version was bad quality and made the vocals muffled. 

So here is an interesting quote from 2016 about Billie and his vocal filters:

"To get that sound I’ll often just sing through a Shure SM58, and then tweak it later in Pro Tools. Or, I’ll sing through an amplifier. I love distortion on my vocals— even just a tiny bit to kind of make it a little more gritty. That’s probably because it’s the sound I remember from years ago, when you’d be doing shows with no P.A. and singing through someone’s guitar amp"

I wasn't huge on the vocal filters either, but after reading that the process to get the sound is something as creative as singing through a guitar amp I respect it a lot more musically. Also it's makes much more sense that the guitars and his voice line up sonically. 

Link:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-once-again-proves-the-power-chord-is-king

8 minutes ago, JReevz said:

So here is an interesting quote from 2016 about Billie and his vocal filters:

"To get that sound I’ll often just sing through a Shure SM58, and then tweak it later in Pro Tools. Or, I’ll sing through an amplifier. I love distortion on my vocals— even just a tiny bit to kind of make it a little more gritty. That’s probably because it’s the sound I remember from years ago, when you’d be doing shows with no P.A. and singing through someone’s guitar amp"

I wasn't huge on the vocal filters either, but after reading that the process to get the sound is something as creative as singing through a guitar amp I respect it a lot more musically. Also it's makes much more sense that the guitars and his voice line up sonically. 

Link:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/green-days-billie-joe-armstrong-once-again-proves-the-power-chord-is-king

Yeah, I mentiioned the amp things posts ago..

Listening at work.  First thoughts-

1. I'm thoroughly happy.  :)  Co-workers are probably wondering why I'm sitting here with a big stupid grin on my face.

2. "Too Dumb to Die" seems to be Billie's new go to phrase.  First SD&V, then TDTD, and now Happiness. (I need to get my hearing checked)

3. I know everyone says Longview for the opening to Turn Me Loose, but the very, very beginning of the drumroll reminds me of the opening to the Monkees' theme.

1 minute ago, Montclare said:

3. I know everyone says Longview for the opening to Turn Me Loose, but the very, very beginning of the drumroll reminds me of the opening to the Monkees' theme.

NME article says it was taken off ''Holiday''. Lies.

• Hermione changed the title to Longshot album Love is for Losers

Archived