Linda Perry on feeling disrespected by Green Day during 21CB recording

Give_Me_Novacaine90

4 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

You mean Green Day who approached her and not Rubin? Seems GD seems more influenced by her than they are of Rubin since she influenced a side project of GD...

Whatever... If you choose to believe that Green Day were "being sexist" because of this one-sided article, sure but I don't see any evidence to suggest that. Out of all the celebrities I know, Billie is one of the least likely to be sexist.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll point out also she didn’t say she thought of this as a boy/girl situation just a “screwed up” situation as clearly there was a big miscommunication between camp that at the very least the management should’ve called to say “they have decided to move in a different direction” which is the usual move bands do that way producers managers can book other jobs without reserving gigs that won’t happen 

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Whatever... If you choose to believe that Green Day were "being sexist" because of this one-sided article, sure but I don't see any evidence to suggest that. Out of all the celebrities I know, Billie is one of the least likely to be sexist.

Oh you know Billie personally??? Cause if not then you really don’t know him you can’t really speak on his charector cause you only know what’s being shown to you (and that goes for anyone really...) 

and again Linda didn’t say this was a sexist thing she started off saying she didn’t think of it as a boy/girl thing but of it just being a screwed up thing but as it was pointed out to you someone can be sexist without thinking about it as for this situation I think the parties dropped the ball and wasn’t handled in a professional way but that happens sometimes 

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I’ll point out also she didn’t say she thought of this as a boy/girl situation just a “screwed up” situation as clearly there was a big miscommunication between camp that at the very least the management should’ve called to say “they have decided to move in a different direction” which is the usual move bands do that way producers managers can book other jobs without reserving gigs that won’t happen 

Oh you know Billie personally??? Cause if not then you really don’t know him you can’t really speak on his charector cause you only know what’s being shown to you (and that goes for anyone really...) 

and again Linda didn’t say this was a sexist thing she started off saying she didn’t think of it as a boy/girl thing but of it just being a screwed up thing but as it was pointed out to you someone can be sexist without thinking about it 

I never said I knew Billie. Just that I think he would be one of the least likely to be sexist. From what I've seen of Billie, he's generally nice (as long as you're not a dumbass president).

And yeah, at the start she said that but she said at the end of that quote "But anyway, that was probably my first and only chick/dude thing where that got in the way."  And her saying "I actually didn’t even think about it as a guy/girl thing" implies that she didn't think of it as a gendered issue at the time but thinking about it now, she does.

This whole so called "internalized misogyny" that everybody's just sexist without realizing it is not something I agree with. Either you're a sexist or you're not. And to assume somebody's being sexist because they're "just not thinking" is stupid to me.

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I never said I knew Billie. Just that I think he would be one of the least likely to be sexist. From what I've seen of Billie, he's generally nice (as long as you're not a dumbass president).

And yeah, at the start she said that but she said at the end of that quote "But anyway, that was probably my first and only chick/dude thing where that got in the way."  And her saying "I actually didn’t even think about it as a guy/girl thing" implies that she didn't think of it as a gendered issue at the time but thinking about it now, she does.

This whole so called "internalized misogyny" that everybody's just sexist without realizing it is not something I agree with. Either you're a sexist or you're not. And to assume somebody's being sexist because they're "just not thinking" is stupid to me.

Sorry but just because YOU don’t agree doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen it’s just like those who tell a joke and don’t realize it’s a racist joke 

I don’t think anyone here is really saying Billie or the band are sexist people 

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Sorry but just because YOU don’t agree doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen it’s just like those who tell a joke and don’t realize it’s a racist joke 

I don’t think anyone here is really saying Billie or the band are sexist people 

So do you think everybody's sexist or racist just without realizing it? Cause all that does is it waters down the terms sexist and racist. If everybody is sexist or racist, then nobody is.

For what it's worth, I'm a woman and a feminist and I don't think this was necessarily something that happened because of her gender.

Honestly, to assume so based on this quick Q&A kind of negates the efforts of feminism anyway, because then we aren't taken as seriously in situations that are without a doubt due to sexism. As @Fuzz said, people can be assholes without being sexist. And women can also wrongly assume that something happened because of their gender even though it wasn't because of that at all. Nothing is black and white. Even the person being interviewed said they didn't even think of it as a "girl/guy" thing.

Though I do think it was in bad taste for the reporter to not reach out to the band for a comment, either, after bashing them for several paragraphs.

So do you think everybody's sexist or racist just without realizing it? Cause all that does is it waters down the terms sexist and racist. If everybody is sexist or racist, then nobody is.

This has to be the silliest "logic" I've read in a while. Of course sexism and racism is systematically and subconsciously ingrained in society. I can only speak from the perspective of an American, but you don't get over things like treating black people and women as property in just a few generations.

I think everyone has done or said something sexist or racist at one point of their lives escp when they’re younger and less mature does that make everyone a bad person? No but those who keep on being sexists and racist towards others are bad people  

11 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

For what it's worth, I'm a woman and a feminist and I don't think this was necessarily something that happened because of her gender.

Honestly, to assume so based on this quick Q&A kind of negates the efforts of feminism anyway, because then we aren't taken as seriously in situations that are without a doubt due to sexism. As @Fuzz said, people can be assholes without being sexist. And women can also wrongly assume that something happened because of their gender even though it wasn't because of that at all. Nothing is black and white. Even the person being interviewed said they didn't even think of it as a "girl/guy" thing.

Though I do think it was in bad taste for the reporter to not reach out to the band for a comment, either, after bashing them for several paragraphs.

This has to be the silliest "logic" I've read in a while. Of course sexism and racism is systematically and subconsciously ingrained in society. I can only speak from the perspective of an American, but you don't get over things like treating black people and women as property in just a few generations.

I'm Irish and Irish people were slaves and oppressed throughout history as well. But if somebody's rude to me, or if I don't get hired for a job, I'm not going to assume it's because I'm Irish. I think it's important not to forget about these historical events where women or black people were oppressed because otherwise it might just happen again, but this watering down of terms like sexist and racist by associating them with meaningless actions is just not the right thing to do. There's no comparison between the blatant discrimination that happened throughout history and these accusations of "sexism" because somebody didn't get called to tell them they didn't get the job.

7 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm Irish and Irish people were slaves and oppressed throughout history as well. But if somebody's rude to me, or if I don't get hired for a job, I'm not going to assume it's because I'm Irish. I think it's important not to forget about these historical events where women or black people were oppressed because otherwise it might just happen again, but this watering down of terms like sexist and racist by associating them with meaningless actions is just not the right thing to do. There's no comparison between the blatant discrimination that happened throughout history and these accusations of "sexism" because somebody didn't get called to tell them they didn't get the job.

The Irish got paid and they signed up therefor not slaves at all...

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

So for most of history women have been seen as less capable than men, but just like magic suddenly no one is still subconsciously influenced to be more likely to see a man as more capable than a woman in certain ways or situations even though they don't out and out hate women? I can't see any logic in the phrase "either you're a sexist or you're not", there's degrees of it.

Also Linda Perry herself isn't like, vehemently labeling this as definitely being sexism, and neither is anyone here. Kind of seems like you just want to vent your views about sexism and have used quite a vague reason to do it :P 

This is disgusting of them. Especially because they like to pretend they're a feminist band. How hypocritical, really. 

4 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

This is disgusting of them. Especially because they like to pretend they're a feminist band. How hypocritical, really. 

@Christian's Inferno! I beg you not to take this troll bait

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

This is not a troll bait but a serious opinion and I find your comment extremely offensive. 

Can you stop trolling the forum please? Cheers

Edit: When someone changes a reaction from :lol: to :thumbsup:to make it less obvious that the post was a troll one it also helps give it away lol. Anyway hoping not to see any more trolling in this thread or elsewhere.

That’s a flat out lie. Vig was pretty much always the front runner and Perry was only ever being considered.

Really dumb of her professionally for her to have just made that up because she thought she had the gig because people that matter know.

16 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Don’t buy it Jane. Billie loves women in the way that you want a man to love a lady. Mike even more so.  Tre is just Tre.

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Can you stop trolling the forum please? Cheers

I'm not trolling the forum. All I am doing is that I'm stating my opinion that it's extremely hypocritical of the band to present themselves as feminists and then disrespect a woman by treating her like this with no reason. She's as much of a professional as any male producer would be. It's not acceptable to let such behavior slide just because it's a band I like. Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

Don’t buy it Jane. Billie loves women in the way that you want a man to love a lady. Mike even more so.  Tre is just Tre.

I'd love to believe that...but this just wasn't nice of them 

6 minutes ago, LaughingClock said:

That’s a flat out lie. Vig was pretty much always the front runner and Perry was only ever being considered.

Really dumb of her professionally for her to have just made that up because she thought she had the gig because people that matter know.

That’s wrong on Vig was always the front runner he wasn’t I know that for a FACT... 

Just now, WhiteTim said:

That’s wrong on Vig was always the front runner he wasn’t I know that for a FACT... 

Source please?

Just now, Christian's Inferno! said:

Source please?

I worked at the label during the 21st era... 

Just now, WhiteTim said:

I worked at the label during the 21st era... 

Source or it didn't happen

15 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

This is not a troll bait but a serious opinion and I find your comment extremely offensive. 

Yeah, sure, as you and @Billie Hoe continue to circle-jerk on each other's posts. :P 

Just now, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Yeah, sure, as you and @Billie Hoe continue to circle-jerk on each other's posts. :P 

bruh I didn't even post anything

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Source or it didn't happen

Again I worked for Warner at the time they had meet with several producers before meeting with Vig if Vig was forerunner they’d met with him first... 

but Billie mentions “there were meetings with several producers before we thought of Butch” in the Guitar World  

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Again I worked for Warner at the time they had meet with several producers before meeting with Vig if Vig was forerunner they’d met with him first... 

but Billie mentions “there were meetings with several producers before we thought of Butch” in the Guitar World  

Just because he wasn't the first person they met with doesn't mean he wasn't the front runner. I'm sure they met with several other producers after they thought of Butch Vig too. And I doubt there's any confirmation that Linda Perry was the front runner either, as she's saying in this article

Archived