Revolution Radio...Overhyped and Underdelivered

uninvitedguest

Nah man. This conversation happens here all the time. I think your intention was to get hits on your YouTube video.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really liked the video, even while disagreeing with several points within it. 

I felt like Breakdown WAS sort advertised as more of American Idiot in that it was a concept album and it was epic in scale.  And the comparison is going to happen with EVERY Green Day project.  American Idiot was a fantastic album and the only downside is that they will probably never escape its shadow. 

The Network was them trying to find their sound, building up to making Idiot.  Then after Idiot their efforts with the Tubbies were considered reactionary to Idiot, they HAD to do something different because Green Day as a band couldn't out-do their greatest achievement.  

The Trilogy was yet again another Big Idea that a lot of people claimed was trying to out-do the Idiot album.  

So yes, Revolution Radio was compared to American Idiot in sooooo many outlets it was unbelievable.  It wasn't the band doing it, it's just the way the world perceives Green Day in the present day.  To the people who aren't on GDA writing essays (and making videos now), they are really only known for Dookie and Idiot.   

As for decline in quality, I don't see it.  I liked the trilogy better than Breakdown, Insomniac and even 1039 and Kerplunk.  That's just me though.  

Decline in sales, sure.  Green Days entire career has been up and down.  But Revolution Radio did way better than all three combined trilogy albums, AND my personal ranking is higher so....either way, Rev Rad was a step in the right direction .  

The thing in Cuatro....yeah, that was an eerie quote from Billie.  But really at that point they hadn't taken a break. Maybe a month or something but their real break didn't come until it was forced onto them after Billie's meltdown.  And I think it was actually good for them, and they defied his quote and came back stronger then before.  

TO THE POINT THOUGH.  I don't think it was over hyped.  It simply got what every post-idiot album gets, and that is compared to American Idiot.  

And it only under delivered in quantity of singles.  Seriously guys, where's my "Forever Now", "Somewhere Now", "Too Dumb to Die" or "Ordinary World" singles?   I'd take "Youngblood" at this point, I don't want this fantastic era to end!

8 hours ago, ¡Jenn! said:

"Overhype" is a weird concept anyway. Like, albums being hyped is just called "promotion". Artists and labels do it so more people buy the music. What is the correct amount of hype in your opinion? "Here's RevRad, idk it's mediocre, buy it if you want idk."

In terms of fans overhyping the album, well that's just called being a fan. Of course people are excited about a new album?? I'll never not be overhyped for a Green Day album because they're my band for life and I love to support them.

I'll give you the melody aspect, trilogy stuff was catchy, but everything else was off for me. The guitar tones are really underwhelming for me and I think it takes away a lot of punch that some songs might have had.

I guess if you're looking for the 'harder' more 'distorted' type of guitar tones, I see your point. I've just always been a fan of their high treble, early beatles influenced, type guitar sounds. They just nailed it perfectly with the trilogy (in my opinion).. especially on songs like 8th ave serenade and 99 Revolutions. The sounds are just so unique and a good combination of a classic sound, but modernized.

To each their own I guess. 

Rev Rad was like the least hyped album of GD's career. Certainly of this century anyway.

Also it was never promoted as being like American Idiot by the band or in their advertising. Writers linking it to AI because of the singles or subject matter or critics listening to the album and saying it's like AI in some way isn't the same thing as the band promoting it as that. They did quite the opposite. 

I agree with many of the comments here, but mostly I just feel bad for you @uninvitedguest because it sounds like, four you, Green Day just hasn't been all that good since  at least 21CB (If I'm wrong and you don't like that one as well, my bad. I kinda skimmed through your video). I would be very bummed as a fan if I felt that way. 

The only time I could see it being called overhyped is when they played "Bang Bang" on three different talk-shows three days in a row. Now, I love the song so it didn't bother me at all.

I think critic should be banned out of music ''industry''. I still can't believe that, in 2017, there are still groups of people PAID to talk about a song/record. There are 1000 reviews on my mind about 1000 albums but, before opening my mouth, I think about it not 1000 but 2000 times. The ''I need peeps to listen to me'' is one of the main problems. One thing is someone able to explain you a song, technically speaking. Another is someone, sticked to his ideals, trying to convince you what's right and what's wrong. I had the time of my life listening to Green Day records on repeat, locked in a corner, through the darkness of my old and dusty bedroom. Since I started using social networks, I heard and read so many bulls**t and ''abstract'' conversations that, actually, nowadays, I can't stand 'em anymore. I've learned lots of stuff via books and interviews and I'm thankful for that but, judging a record from an hype, sales and other s**t point of view has NOTHING to do with music. I know it's human, 'cause I can't help to forget trilogy picturing iHeart Radio ''performance'' in mind. And it's unfair, I'm honest enough to admit it. There's no hurting meaning in this ''message'', just my opinion about ''power'', ''knowledge'' and, basically, brainwashing. Viva la Green Day, forever.

I'm curious.  Is there anyone on GDA that thinks Revolution Radio is the bands BEST album, surpassing all others???   

6 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

I think critic should be banned out of music ''industry''. I still can't believe that, in 2017, there are still groups of people PAID to talk about a song/record. 

Just because you disagree with someone’s opinion doesn’t mean that opinion should be silenced. 

My first thought when this album was released was if maybe Radio Revolution would sound better than Revolution Radio for the name. 

It is... too hyped. Like a wild rave. I would play this album on a workout or if I would want get my blood pressure up. Songs like Youngblood and Forever Now would do the job.

Say Goodbye sounds like the overrated song you hear in all the movies when the bad guy makes his grand entrance with the unnecessary windy slow motion.

Regardless I LOVE this album and think it is a masterpiece. When Bang Bang first came out, I was happy to see Green Day made new music at last. All the animated lyrics videos were colorful and fantastic. :D

3 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I'm curious.  Is there anyone on GDA that thinks Revolution Radio is the bands BEST album, surpassing all others???   

It's my favorite.  I've always said it's the perfect mixture of political and personal.  There's not a single song I dislike, and Bang Bang and OW are both in my top 15 GD songs, with FN, RevRad, and Say Goodbye in my top 50.  Fan since the 90s, originally had AI and Dookie tied as my favorites (although Nimrod has moved past Dookie for third).

3 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Just because you disagree with someone’s opinion doesn’t mean that opinion should be silenced. 

I don't think it's about literally silencing someone, or really even about disagreeing with their opinion. More the argument that art is subjective and rating it/giving it a score etc could be seen as pointless and not necessarily worthwhile for the world to hear (even if you do have the right to say it :P). I don't know if I agree as sometimes reviews can be interesting, but I do somewhat agree that when albums are reduced to marks out of 10 and judgements based on sales and marketing and everything about the art and actual enjoyment of music is forgotten it can be a drag.

10 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

I think critic should be banned out of music ''industry''. I still can't believe that, in 2017, there are still groups of people PAID to talk about a song/record. There are 1000 reviews on my mind about 1000 albums but, before opening my mouth, I think about it not 1000 but 2000 times. The ''I need peeps to listen to me'' is one of the main problems. One thing is someone able to explain you a song, technically speaking. Another is someone, sticked to his ideals, trying to convince you what's right and what's wrong. I had the time of my life listening to Green Day records on repeat, locked in a corner, through the darkness of my old and dusty bedroom. Since I started using social networks, I heard and read so many bulls**t and ''abstract'' conversations that, actually, nowadays, I can't stand 'em anymore. I've learned lots of stuff via books and interviews and I'm thankful for that but, judging a record from an hype, sales and other s**t point of view has NOTHING to do with music. I know it's human, 'cause I can't help to forget trilogy picturing iHeart Radio ''performance'' in mind. And it's unfair, I'm honest enough to admit it. There's no hurting meaning in this ''message'', just my opinion about ''power'', ''knowledge'' and, basically, brainwashing. Viva la Green Day, forever.

I disagree. I get that music is subjective but like reviews for other things like movies, whenever a certain album or movie is getting a lot of praise from critics, I will be more inclined to listen/watch those instead. And yeah, everybody has the right to give their opinion. I don't think they're trying to convince people that their opinion is right. Reviews are simply just a helpful way to know which music are getting the most praise and which ones I should prioritize hearing. Sometimes I disagree with reviewers but I'd say more often than not, I agree with reviewers.

@disappearingfs That's actually a very difficult topic. I partially agree with you even though I also read or watch reviews for films or albums. I like to get an overview over the critics consensus because I just can't watch every single movie and listen to every single album. However, music and art in general is a very personal thing and a lot of critics act as if they have the ultimate knowledge. They have this elitist attitude and make other people think that they are somehow stupid if they don't agree with them or listen to a certain kind of music or whatever. 

So yeah, critics can be annoying. But in the end, it's up to you how much you care about what they say. But I understand your point. 

12 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

I don't know if they should be banned but critics' opinions shouldn't be given the weight they often are. I tend not to read much in the way of reviews, and only read a few AFTER I've listened to the album multiple times on my own because I don't want it to influence my opinion going in. The only real value I see in them is either getting more people to pay attention (if they're positive) or occasionally calling out something I didn't notice, such as "the base line in this song is amazing" and now I'll go back, focus on the base line and be like "woah, I can't believe I didn't notice that!".  I just wish all people kept a healthy skepticism when it comes to reviews but I think most don't.

You've got a point although not necessarily all true, there's some good stuff in the album, but

I think fans' expectations of the band restrict them, the worship they're given is ridiculous and must surely play on the band subconsciously when they write songs and fan expectations for this album must've played a part in the album being less successful - I think people expect too much and I include myself there. This expectation overhypes the album for themselves - RevRad was a mediocre album, but most people (and again, myself) expected something special and that wasn't RevRad. I don't think the album was overhyped by the media, in fact it was practically ignored, but in the GD community there were huge expectations for the guys to overcome the problems with the trilogy. I guess I'm in the minority but I feel the album did underdeliver 

On 19/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, The Great Saiyaman said:

If Jake McAsshole didn’t already delete his account he’d be all over this thread. 

You know it's possible to simply disagree with someone? No need to get personal over it

2 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

You know it's possible to simply disagree with someone? No need to get personal over it

Alright bud. If you think I care when people dislike something that I like then you do you I guess. Talk about me getting "personal" all you want, but I hope you know you are talking about the person who insulted people about music of all things. Constantly way too over-sensitive and was honestly just not a good person to have around. He clearly thought he was way smarter than everyone else and was just a pretentious dick. There's really no getting around it. Plus he seemed to be an alt-righter what with his transphobic comments and trying to "attack" Billie Joe for condemning racism. Literally everyone else on the forum "simply disagreed" with him, as you said is possible, yet he was just extremely hostile to others for no reason. I know it's just the internet, but none of that is okay.

2 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

To be fair he's talking about someone who had their account deleted months ago and won't see the comment :P. If it was directed at someone posting here it would be another matter but not much point in arguing over someone who's left the site permanently, plus it's also off topic so if @The Great Saiyaman and you could drop it or take it to PM now that would be good.

more like under hyped and over delivered dude... an excellent album that captures Green Day at an honest and vulnerable place, still taking new exciting creative risks, and that largely flew under the radar of popular music in 2016/17. but to each his own bro

10 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

I think fans' expectations of the band restrict them, the worship they're given is ridiculous and must surely play on the band subconsciously when they write songs and fan expectations for this album must've played a part in the album being less successful - I think people expect too much and I include myself there.

Dude they just released a greatest hits album called God's Favorite Band. They're enablers. :lol: 

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2017 at 9:32 AM, The Great Saiyaman said:

If Jake McAsshole didn’t already delete his account he’d be all over this thread. 

That’s not very nice!

Archived