Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song

Daddy.

3 hours ago, tigress said:

Not to this degree. It’s the merch bundles I find excessive, not so much the concept itself. 

It is kinda excessive yeah but a lot of people like it and it’s nice that there’s a few different options, it’s not like you have to buy a bundle to get the album.

If we’re going for BIAB quotes as album titles, I hope there’s a ‘I Need Every Single Person Here In Milton Keynes To Freak Out’ and then a reeeeeaally long awkward pause in the future. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, tdlyon said:

Is there any significance to the ping pong paddle that I'm missing or is it just kind of random

One of the original photo shoot pics has Billie holding the bat but I've always wondered why.  It works well here though to put the GFB with the halo over it, possibly just a happy accident.

5 hours ago, Jenn. said:

Green Day don’t need to cash grab, I’d willingly throw my money at them 

Ha ha, and we do :D

Ok, the last week was pretty stressful and I had no chance to really think about the whole thing because I literally fell asleep as soon as I came home. But the more I think about this release, the more I like it. Sure, the tracklist is standard and there are no surprises, but the fact that we'll get a new song fills me with excitement. New music video, new songs, most likely more TV-appearances and maybe, just maybe, another tour. That would be awesome.

The artwork rocks, the name of the album is cool...there is not much to complain about. Since a lot of the bands "older" songs are still very popular, I think that this album could actually have decent sales numbers. And the most important thing is: no break, no silence, they just keep going. I like that.

I'll probably buy the vinyl. Just for my collection. And 'cause it will look great :cool:

The general positivity in this thread is in complete contrast to the Facebook comments the band are getting on their page which I have to say align much more with my feelings. They already have a greatest hits album released 16 years ago now. Completely understandable that they wish to release another greatest hits as they've released six studio albums (I'm counting Uno, Dos and Tre separately) since then. Why on earth am I then looking at a tracklist that includes 10 out of 22 songs that were already on International Superhits?! In contrast they've included 1 song off three trilogy albums. If nothing else this makes it look like they're embarrassed of the trilogy or they feel the best work they've done was very much in the past. This was at the least an opportunity to introduce the trilogy to fans who perhaps overlooked it by picking the best songs from it to include on their greatest hits. As many have remarked on Facebook and I agree, what's the point in practically re-releasing International Superhits and taking on some American Idiot tracks. Almost every casual fan owns both. If anyone feels the pressing urge to aquire the only new track (I mean seriously guys calling Ordinary World, definitely NOT a fan favourite already, a new song just because Miranda Lambert is now singing on it is ridiculous) they'll simply download it. I think they've screwed this opportunity up. They should have focused on their hits from 2001 onwards. It isn't like they don't have enough. It would have been something genuinely exciting. 

Should have been:

American Idiot 

Holiday

BOBD

WMUWSE

JOS

KYE

21 Guns

EJK

Last of the American Girls

21st Century Breakdown 

Oh Love 

Stray Heart 

99 Revolutions

Bang Bang

Still Breathing 

Ordinary World (W/Miranda Lambert)

Back in the USA

⬆️ Epic 

6 hours ago, tigress said:

Not to this degree. It’s the merch bundles I find excessive, not so much the concept itself. 

That’s more a function of the reality of the music business today. Merch makes up a much larger percentage of revenue than music sales does compared to 15-20 years ago.  Warners can only release an album like this by bundling it with merch, they can’t even hope to make their money back by selling vinyl and CDs alone. I would have bought the CD myself ten years ago, now I’ll just download the new songs off Spotify. Unless I buy a t-shirt or make a gift of a bundle for somebody, they’ve lost money on me, and I’m a superfan that’s happy to spend money on Green Day.

Also, the merch makes total sense as this is a Christmas release and these will make great gifts. 

15 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Should have been:

American Idiot 

Holiday

BOBD

WMUWSE

JOS

KYE

21 Guns

EJK

Last of the American Girls

21st Century Breakdown 

Oh Love 

Stray Heart 

99 Revolutions

Bang Bang

Still Breathing 

Ordinary World (W/Miranda Lambert)

Back in the USA

⬆️ Epic 

Last of the american girls and stary heart would never enter a ''greatest hits'' list without a doubt. 

9 hours ago, tdlyon said:

Is there any significance to the ping pong paddle that I'm missing or is it just kind of random

Looks like something kinky going on to me :lol:. I can't think what else it was there for. Or maybe there's some religious item that it looks similar to?

The bundles are in the European stores too now and the prices are INSANE. Even if I had it shipped from across the fuckin Atlantic Ocean and paid 20 euros extra at customs, I'd still get a much cheaper price than if I bought it at any European store.

The bundle I want costs 70 USD, which is about 60 € + 8,40 € for shipping. In the German store, this bundle costs 110 € + 5,50 for shipping. THAT'S ALMOST TWICE AS MUCH. What the fuck!

15 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Looks like something kinky going on to me :lol:. I can't think what else it was there for. Or maybe there's some religious item that it looks similar to?

not to my knowledge, and I went to church every sunday for 18 years :P It does resemble a paddle, and if we think about punishing sins, well... :lol: This discussion should be continued in the Fangirls Confessions Thread which, as I just realized, has now a double meaning

28 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

Last of the american girls and stary heart would never enter a ''greatest hits'' list without a doubt. 

Oh, but Oh Love can? Stray Heart was a much bigger hit here than Oh Love.:ermm:

3 hours ago, Jenn. said:

Oh we all would, cause that's us. I wish I was joking. :whistle

N9kn0L.gif

4 hours ago, Jenn. said:

And they know it :P

I actually think that Oh Love deserves to be on the record. Look, Bang Bang and Still Breathing were quite successful and I certainly like them more than Oh Love, but Oh Love actually received a ton of radio airplay, at least here in Germany. It entered the Billboard Hot 100 and also charted in several other countries. It was their last song to enter the charts here in Germany and was awarded gold in Italy. It's not their biggest hit ever, but as a single it did pretty well, so I understand why they picked it.

15 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I actually think that Oh Love deserves to be on the record. Look, Bang Bang and Still Breathing were quite successful and I certainly like them more than Oh Love, but Oh Love actually received a ton of radio airplay, at least here in Germany. It entered the Billboard Hot 100 and also charted in several other countries. It was their last song to enter the charts here in Germany and was awarded gold in Italy. It's not their biggest hit ever, but as a single it did pretty well, so I understand why they picked it.

I agree. Besides, I think it's nice that there's something on it to represent the trilogy and all the other trilogy singles did pretty much nothing on the charts

10 hours ago, tdlyon said:

I've been wondering this same thing 

1 hour ago, Billie Hoe said:

The bundles are in the European stores too now and the prices are INSANE. Even if I had it shipped from across the fuckin Atlantic Ocean and paid 20 euros extra at customs, I'd still get a much cheaper price than if I bought it at any European store.

The bundle I want costs 70 USD, which is about 60 € + 8,40 € for shipping. In the German store, this bundle costs 110 € + 5,50 for shipping. THAT'S ALMOST TWICE AS MUCH. What the fuck!

not to my knowledge, and I went to church every sunday for 18 years :P It does resemble a paddle, and if we think about punishing sins, well... :lol: This discussion should be continued in the Fangirls Confessions Thread which, as I just realized, has now a double meaning

Oh, but Oh Love can? Stray Heart was a much bigger hit here than Oh Love.:ermm:

I didn't say anything about Oh Love. But why then: Oh Love: 14 million streams on Spotify. Stray Heart: 8 million streams. 

2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Oh my lord (pun intended) I just noticed that too in the UK store. Straaange.

And about the paddle thing, well... yes. Yes indeed. :whistle

17 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

I didn't say anything about Oh Love. But why then: Oh Love: 14 million streams on Spotify. Stray Heart: 8 million streams. 

Does that account for every Spotify release of Oh Love? There's ¡Uno!, The Single, and ¡Uno... Dos... Tre!

2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Holy fuck, but WHY? European store sends items from the Europe, it should be cheaper for us than buying them in the US store. Does anybody have explanation for that? 

12 hours ago, tigress said:

I'm hoping their record company is to blame for this blatant cash grab.

Gratant Blash Cab

3 minutes ago, JellyTime said:

Holy fuck, but WHY? European store sends items from the Europe, it should be cheaper for us than buying them in the US store. Does anybody have explanation for that? 

Because the European store always has and always will suck :lol:. I'm surprised it's even in there.

6 hours ago, emmericanidiot said:

It is kinda excessive yeah but a lot of people like it and it’s nice that there’s a few different options, it’s not like you have to buy a bundle to get the album.

If we’re going for BIAB quotes as album titles, I hope there’s a ‘I Need Every Single Person Here In Milton Keynes To Freak Out’ and then a reeeeeaally long awkward pause in the future. 

One of my favorite parts from that movie! :lol: Everyone goes silent after he says it and there's that awkward silence lol

I can see why they're doing it. ISH is a bit outdated now so they decided to do an updated Greatest Hits and included only the most successful/well known singles plus 2000 Light Years as a nod to their early days, which was lacking on ISH. This isn't a record label move since the band has full control of their catalog. Might be a new management suggestion though.

2 hours ago, JellyTime said:

this bundle costs 110 € + 5,50 for shipping

What exactly is in this bundle that justifies this price? A lock of Billie's hair from which a new Billie can be grown? One of Mike's arms? :lol: Give me a break Green Day we aren't actual idiots.

2 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

It does resemble a paddle

Doesn't anyone remember the original photograph or play table tennis? 

17 minutes ago, Insomniac186 said:

I can see why they're doing it. ISH is a bit outdated now so they decided to do an updated Greatest Hits and included only the most successful/well known singles plus 2000 Light Years as a nod to their early days, which was lacking on ISH. This isn't a record label move since the band has full control of their catalog. Might be a new management suggestion though.

I think the only reason nothing from the first albums were on ISH is because Warner were not in control of the rights to those albums back then, but they are now.

9 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

What exactly is in this bundle that justifies this price? A lock of Billie's hair from which a new Billie can be grown? One of Mike's arms? :lol: Give me a break Green Day we aren't actual idiots.

Doesn't anyone remember the original photograph or play table tennis? 

Not sure what happened with the quotes there. I'm sure most of us have seen the original, the question is more what the fuck does a ping pong/table tennis paddle have to do with the priest theme? (and the answer imo, as Hermione also suggested, is to be found in Tré's cheeky look/finger and the fact it's Green Day we're talking about :lol: )

I would buy it from the European store if that was inccluded, not gonna lie.

Archived