Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song

Daddy.

3 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

"new songs"

Only 1 new song @Khaleesi. fix so nobody else reads the entire list of songs only to be as gravely disappointed 

why don't you just buy a poster for a 10th the price

Because I still want the album. :P

• Khaleesi. changed the title to Green Day announce new greatest hits album ‘God’s Favourite Band’ – featuring new song
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I think the whole thing is worth it just for the cover alone. 

Yeah I mean I have the songs already (and new one wouldn't be hard to find) so like, that's the point of it and it would be the same whatever songs were on it. Some fabulous artwork/merch and the band's promoting their catalogue and allowing more people to discover their music. And them releasing this doesn't rule out them releasing other things. I see nothing to complain about.

2 hours ago, Yuri Plisetsky said:

I didn't intend to miss anything, I swear that I just wasn't aware that the ones you listed had physical single releases.

i'm not 100% on the trilogy releases, but as far as i know all of the trilogy singles got a cd or 7 inch and oh love got a whole EP lol. and they don't have to all have a single CD release. J.A.R. didn't have a stand alone release, it was only on the Angus soundtrack but it still got put on ISH!

I just wondered if they can record 2000 lya again. As the only pre-dookie song, seems like a odd choice as it is, at least in terms of quality.

Green Day is old enough to have more than a greatest hits album. OMG :lol:

17 minutes ago, imXieli said:

i'm not 100% on the trilogy releases, but as far as i know all of the trilogy singles got a cd or 7 inch and oh love got a whole EP lol. and they don't have to all have a single CD release. J.A.R. didn't have a stand alone release, it was only on the Angus soundtrack but it still got put on ISH!

There are radio promos for JAR if I’m not mistaken 

edit yep it did 

Rc6rsSh.jpg

14 minutes ago, imXieli said:

None of the trilogy singles got a 7 inch. Oh Love, Kill The DJ, Stray Heart and The Forgotten had physical releases. Mainly singles and one EP for Oh Love. J.A.R. did have a promo CD release as well for radios.

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

Does this close their deal with Warner? 

I was wondering the same thing haha

8 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Does this close their deal with Warner? 

They’ve been doing one off’s since 21st from what I understand 

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

That surprises me, I believed the next record after RevRad was supposed to close their deal.

Either way, the answer is most likely no.

6 hours ago, Maria Gloria said:

That would have been amazing!! I hope we still get the Otis mixes one day :( 

Yes, it would be so cool. I was hoping for it - tbh a hits compilation is exactly what I hoped they wouldn't do. It takes away from the excitement about new material.

Why am I so irrationally excited about this lmao, only Green Day can do this to me. It's just album art but it's so amazingly good.

19 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I thought they had enquired before the trilogy if releasing 3 albums together would put them out of contract but the record company only counted it as one release so they wouldn't be out of contract. There were definitely rumours at the time about it, maybe the band even said something about this in an interview at the time but I don't have the patience to go look for it. If they did enquire about this before the trilogy they were on at least a 2 album contract at that time.

11 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

That surprises me, I believed the next record after RevRad was supposed to close their deal.

Either way, the answer is most likely no.

I could be wrong on that 

but compilations don’t count they are usually classified as special projects in contracts  

Just now, Alan86 said:

I thought they had enquired before the trilogy if releasing 3 albums together would put them out of contract but the record company only counted it as one release so they wouldn't be out of contract. There were definitely rumours at the time about it, maybe the band even said something about this in an interview at the time but I don't have the patience to go look for it.

I could very easily be mistaken on that

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I could be wrong on that 

but compilations don’t count they are usually classified as special projects in contracts  

Yes, that's why I think it doesn't close the deal either way. Idk where I got my info from, so I can't I know how it really is with their contract.

6 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

I thought they had enquired before the trilogy if releasing 3 albums together would put them out of contract but the record company only counted it as one release so they wouldn't be out of contract. There were definitely rumours at the time about it, maybe the band even said something about this in an interview at the time but I don't have the patience to go look for it.

I remember Billie said that trilogy counted as one album in an interview.

9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Why am I so irrationally excited about this lmao, only Green Day can do this to me. It's just album art but it's so amazingly good.

I wish I could feel the same. I can't get into it haha 

6 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Yeah I have memory of an interview where he mentioned it. So that would mean they were at least on a more than one album contract at the time.

would a greatest hits album even count as an album as part of an album deal anyway?

2 hours ago, LaughingClock said:

Ok, you can call this news as a matter of fact and it's very obvious.  THERE IS PLENTY MORE TO COME!  

Hang tight.  Be patient and all of your desires shall come to pass. 

Be patient - are you mad man?  What have you ever seen here that makes you think we are patient!  I am bursting with excitement now! :lol::runaround::dance::wub::lol:

I hope the video will still be on Forever Now even if it doesn't appear on the album.

THhis song just cries for the great video!

5 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I remember that too, but I don't remember any talk about how many more they were contracted for.

So I can't wait to hear Back in the USA. I'm hoping for something with a similar sound to Too Much Too Soon, something politically charged and epic. I haven't heard anyone talking much about what their hoping for out of this song and what the new music video will be! I imagine the video will be for either Forever Now or Back in the USA.

6 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Yeah I have memory of an interview where he mentioned it. So that would mean they were at least on a more than one album contract at the time.

would a greatest hits album even count as an album as part of an album deal anyway?

No since the label owns the recordings and such labels don’t even need permission to put out greatest hits Jive (label of Britney Spears NSync rappers like E-40 Too Short etc) put out 2 compilations of my friends groups without even alerting the members of the group they didn’t know about it until they saw the cd in stores 

17 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

No since the label owns the recordings and such labels don’t even need permission to put out greatest hits Jive (label of Britney Spears NSync rappers like E-40 Too Short etc) put out 2 compilations of my friends groups without even alerting the members of the group they didn’t know about it until they saw the cd in stores 

Yeah I was thinking along those lines that they own the music anyway so it wouldn't really count as a new album. Bit extreme that a label could do it without a bands consent but I'm sure that's not the case here. Thanks for the clarification .

13 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Same thing happened to Hank III after his contract with Curb Records expired, they put out a few releases without his permission.

this leads me to another question... IF green day were to leave warner (which i'm not exactly sure why everyone is assuming this is the case haha), how would this impact a new release for a b-sides collection? Warner probably has all the rights over all the unreleased material, right? if gd were to leave, would warner but out an unauthorized collection to cash in on them? if they don't then I assume it would be too much of a pain to put out a b-sides collection on a new label, meaning it would probably never come out :(

Archived