Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

Highs and lows in any bands career are subjective, I hate it when people analyse it like ‘this was shit and this was better so the next thing has to be whatever’. I would like them to self produce :whistle

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, scall said:

Having just released greatest hits album with 1 new song, don't expect studio album until late 2018 early 2019.

I'm not really sure that recording 2 new tracks for a GH album is going to delay the next album much tbh

Just now, MysticManiac said:

I'm not really sure that recording 2 new tracks for a GH album is going to delay the next album much tbh

I agree I’m not sure why that would matter it’s not like they are busy touring it or promoting it and it wasn’t much extra work on their part. Personally I see them going back to the studio much sooner than next fall unless the movie interferes for some reason. More likely they would prioritize the record over the film and try to get it done sooner if they know the movie could be in full swing next year.

I would love to see the kind of album they could make with Mark Trombino. MT has been at the desk for some of my faviorite albums.

Dave Jerden and Brian McTernan are also on my wish list, as is the aforementioned Rick Rubin. 

You guys got me wanting to research producers that would be a good fit now..... 

NOT John Feldman.  He needs to stay away from our favorite band.  Green Day already have an over-abundance of "woo-ohoa" in their live shows, we don't want THAT SH*T making its way onto an album.  Stay the Night was enough, haha!  Here are some of my top picks:

Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park.  

Dave Grohl.  

Joe Barresi

Tom Lord-Alge

Tim Armstrong

Any of those would probably work out nicely.  But Rick Rubin is still who I would want more than anyone. He's worked with talented artists and done great things (Chili Peppers, Weezer, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Audioslave, Sheryl Crow, Eminem, Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Slipknot, the list goes on and on) and I can't even imagine how great Green Day would sound with him producing.  

Rick Rubin would please everyone on this board with his stripped-down approach to vocals and instrumentation. No more reverby-Billie.   Also, he's been said to let the music be discovered, not manufactured (yes, I'm paraphrasing wikipedia here, leave me alone!)   

Obviously I would want it to be a team effort.  Green Day are a hands on band and should at least have a co-producer credit as they always do.  I was thinking of perhaps Mike, Tre or Jason doing it but I don't see Billie sitting it out.  So collective Green Day it is.  

They could always go back to Rob Cavallo / Green Day or vise versa if the band wants even more hands on Lucky 13: Legacy!  It could be the title!  

Let's look at why they chose who they did before.  Earlier they probably didn't have a say or thought the guy was cool because he worked with all the punk bands.    

Cavallo believing in them and signing up was a breakthrough for their career and nobody can argue they've done their best work with him.  They make a spectacular production team.  

With Warning the band clearly wanted to go in a different direction and were also feeling more confident in their own abilities.  So we got a bit of a different production scenario.  

With Idiot being the perfect Green Day storm, they went with their most trusted partner.  It was all or nothing with this one and it had to be done right.  It was the career maker or breaker and together they MADE IT.  

Hell bent on outdoing themselves, Butch Vig was interesting choice.  I'm sure he really wanted to do it, and the band was like "it's the Nevermind Guy, and we're trying to put out an album that is as big or bigger than Nevermind.  Let's do it!"

The Trilogy was supposed to be kind of a return to form after all the giant concept album /stadium rocker phase, so back to good ole' trustworthy Rob Cavallo who now has 8 out of 12 Green Day albums under his belt!    

After a rough time, the band reemerged stronger and more pumped up than ever before.  They wanted simple.  They wanted the three of them in a room, rocking out like a teen rocks out in front of a mirror.  And so they went at it alone, with 30 years of experience on their side.  And I think Rev Rad stands up, at least in a production standpoint, to the rest of their discography sounding darn fine.  

So what now?  In my fantasy world, Rick Rubin and Green Day. 

In reality  - I think the next one will be with Rob Cavallo and it will be spectacular. 

1 hour ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

You guys got me wanting to research producers that would be a good fit now..... 

NOT John Feldman.  He needs to stay away from our favorite band.  Green Day already have an over-abundance of "woo-ohoa" in their live shows, we don't want THAT SH*T making its way onto an album.  Stay the Night was enough, haha!  Here are some of my top picks:

Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park.  

Dave Grohl.  

Joe Barresi

Tom Lord-Alge

Tim Armstrong

Any of those would probably work out nicely.  But Rick Rubin is still who I would want more than anyone. He's worked with talented artists and done great things (Chili Peppers, Weezer, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Audioslave, Sheryl Crow, Eminem, Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Slipknot, the list goes on and on) and I can't even imagine how great Green Day would sound with him producing.  

Rick Rubin would please everyone on this board with his stripped-down approach to vocals and instrumentation. No more reverby-Billie.   Also, he's been said to let the music be discovered, not manufactured (yes, I'm paraphrasing wikipedia here, leave me alone!)   

Obviously I would want it to be a team effort.  Green Day are a hands on band and should at least have a co-producer credit as they always do.  I was thinking of perhaps Mike, Tre or Jason doing it but I don't see Billie sitting it out.  So collective Green Day it is.  

They could always go back to Rob Cavallo / Green Day or vise versa if the band wants even more hands on Lucky 13: Legacy!  It could be the title!  

Let's look at why they chose who they did before.  Earlier they probably didn't have a say or thought the guy was cool because he worked with all the punk bands.    

Cavallo believing in them and signing up was a breakthrough for their career and nobody can argue they've done their best work with him.  They make a spectacular production team.  

With Warning the band clearly wanted to go in a different direction and were also feeling more confident in their own abilities.  So we got a bit of a different production scenario.  

With Idiot being the perfect Green Day storm, they went with their most trusted partner.  It was all or nothing with this one and it had to be done right.  It was the career maker or breaker and together they MADE IT.  

Hell bent on outdoing themselves, Butch Vig was interesting choice.  I'm sure he really wanted to do it, and the band was like "it's the Nevermind Guy, and we're trying to put out an album that is as big or bigger than Nevermind.  Let's do it!"

The Trilogy was supposed to be kind of a return to form after all the giant concept album /stadium rocker phase, so back to good ole' trustworthy Rob Cavallo who now has 8 out of 12 Green Day albums under his belt!    

After a rough time, the band reemerged stronger and more pumped up than ever before.  They wanted simple.  They wanted the three of them in a room, rocking out like a teen rocks out in front of a mirror.  And so they went at it alone, with 30 years of experience on their side.  And I think Rev Rad stands up, at least in a production standpoint, to the rest of their discography sounding darn fine.  

So what now?  In my fantasy world, Rick Rubin and Green Day. 

In reality  - I think the next one will be with Rob Cavallo and it will be spectacular. 

I'd be quite hesitant with them going back to Rob after the trilogy. I mean, production of those albums were probably their weakest since pre-Dookie. I didn't mind 21CB production despite some people criticizing it.

I didn't know Mike Shinoda produced anything other than Linkin Park but apparently he did.

@MysticManiac  I don’t think it’s fair to blame Rob for the Trilogy, there were so many factors at play both during the creative/recording process and after. He was there to basically support them in their vision and the band now admit that vision was pretty damn unfocused and confused. If Billie were capable of having a clearer idea of what he wanted, Rob would have helped him to make that happen. I mean jeez, the guy co-produces the vast majority of their most successful albums (including Dookie and AI) and you’re ready to toss him aside for the Trilogy which the band themselves have taken a lot of the responsibility for already.

I would be perfectly happy to see Rob back co-producing with a happy energized Green Day and a focused healthy Billie Joe. That could be magic.

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@MysticManiac  I don’t think it’s fair to blame Rob for the Trilogy, there were so many factors at play both during the creative/recording process and after. He was there to basically support them in their vision and the band now admit that vision was pretty damn unfocused and confused. If Billie were capable of having a clearer idea of what he wanted, Rob would have helped him to make that happen. I mean jeez, the guy co-produces the vast majority of their most successful albums (including Dookie and AI) and you’re ready to toss him aside for the Trilogy which the band themselves have taken a lot of the responsibility for already.

I would be perfectly happy to see Rob back co-producing with a happy energized Green Day and a focused healthy Billie Joe. That could be magic.

I'm not dissing him or anything. It could turn out to be a great album with Rob, I'd just be worried about it. I'm not saying the trilogy's production being weaker was because of Rob. I mean, we can't know since we weren't there.

15 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

I'm not dissing him or anything. It could turn out to be a great album with Rob, I'd just be worried about it. I'm not saying the trilogy's production being weaker was because of Rob. I mean, we can't know since we weren't there.

We have Cuatro and the band’s own statements about what they felt went wrong, none of which had anything to do with Rob.  And I don’t even know that all that much went wrong other than the chaotic mess of songs and the exhaustion that followed. Again, the sound was Billie’s vision and Green Day are always co-producers I don’t see how Rob can be blamed for anything that would lead me to question his competence as a producer after so many successes but agree to disagree.

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We have Cuatro and the band’s own statements about what they felt went wrong, none of which had anything to do with Rob.  And I don’t even know that all that much went wrong other than the chaotic mess of songs and the exhaustion that followed. Again, the sound was Billie’s vision and Green Day are always co-producers I don’t see how Rob can be blamed for anything that would lead me to question his competence as a producer after so many successes but agree to disagree.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. In Cuatro you can even tell it's basically Green Day calling all the shots throughout the Trilogy sessions. I don't recall seeing Rob really contribute anything other than supporting what they think and want. Seems like they wanted the album to sound stripped down and bare bones, just guitar, bass, drums and vocals, and for it to have a 60s/70s power pop/rock n roll vibe, and it definitely does. I think they achieved exactly what they were going for, simple power pop songs, with a bare bones recording. They accomplished what they wanted, just simply a lot of people didn't like it. I don't think we can really blame Rob though, he was just there supporting the guys in what they wanted. Probably has been his role since Dookie honestly. He seems like a down to earth guy who knows his shit and loves a lot of the same bands as Billie (Replacements, Husker Du) and knows how to produce and capture the sounds that they like. Doesn't seem like he's the one calling the shots though.

I personally love the production of Rev Rad and love the fact that they did it all on their own with Dugan, at OTIS, which is a remarkably modest studio for one of the biggest bands on the planet earth. Its so DIY and independent, and I can tell they take pride in knowing that they are talented enough to handle everything on their own, and still have the end product sound as good as all their other records, in my opinion anyway. I can't honestly think of any other mainstream rock band today who could pull that kind of thing off. Blink had to hire a dude to help them write their songs, and they did it in a million dollar studio somewhere with probably like 20 engineers and techs running around doing everything for them. Meanwhile Tre is literally his own drum tech. All of that fucking rules to me, probably one of my favorite things about Rev Rad. I'd be totally into them doing the same thing for their next one...

6 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Green Day already have an over-abundance of "woo-ohoa" in their live shows, we don't want THAT SH*T making its way onto an album.  Stay the Night was enough, haha! 

Stay the Night was enough? Christians Inferno was mellow compared to that then I guess. 

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I thought the production on the Trilogy was good, and you're correct. The producer is behind the scenes and shouldn't even be in your head while listening to an album.  If an album sucks, I usually place the blame on the band or musician themselves.  Now that Feldmann guy, he can really screw an album up by dumping truckloads of sugar and bubblegum on top - and then having a mandatory minimum 8000 "whoa-oha" in every song.   Man, that's annoying.  

We can (and have) went on and on about the Trilogy.  Some of us love it, some hate it, some think it's kind of in the middle somewhere.  Some of us dislike the production or the lyrics - but for me the only problem was PROMOTION.  The initial reviews were optimistic and the band was on a serious roll leading up to those albums.  Back in 2012 I felt like Green Day were on the verge of taking over the planet.  They were going to play every gig in the universe, appear on every talk show and TV show and there were going to be at least 9 singles from the whole thing had things turned out different. 

Back on topic though.  We may never know what exactly goes on behind the scenes, at the record company or whatever. Who knows what the guys are doing at this very moment?  But currently I'm thinking that ALBUM 13 will be out 2019.     

6 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

We can (and have) went on and on about the Trilogy.  Some of us love it, some hate it, some think it's kind of in the middle somewhere.  Some of us dislike the production or the lyrics - but for me the only problem was PROMOTION.  The initial reviews were optimistic and the band was on a serious roll leading up to those albums.  Back in 2012 I felt like Green Day were on the verge of taking over the planet.  They were going to play every gig in the universe, appear on every talk show and TV show and there were going to be at least 9 singles from the whole thing had things turned out different. 

Uh, yeah I think Billie was a little preoccupied...and probably for the better because that amount of touring/promo probably would've finally done them in. 

On 12/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, Todd said:

Probably next fall

You think that late? I would've guessed sooner. 

Always down for Cavallo, he's yet to produce a GD album I don't like. Also I'd love to get either Ross Robinson or Steve Albini for the next record. Self producing would be fine as well! 

3 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Always down for Cavallo, he's yet to produce a GD album I don't like. Also I'd love to get either Ross Robinson or Steve Albini for the next record. Self producing would be fine as well! 

A Ross Robinson or Steve Albini produced GD album would be fucking insane.

Greg Kurstin is the clearest candidate, if anyone can refresh their sound and bring the best out of them, it's Greg

I don't have any problem with the trilogy's production.

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

the chaotic mess of songs

:confused:

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

and the exhaustion that followed. 

There I totally agree.

14 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

The initial reviews were optimistic and the band was on a serious roll leading up to those albums.  Back in 2012 I felt like Green Day were on the verge of taking over the planet.  They were going to play every gig in the universe, appear on every talk show and TV show and there were going to be at least 9 singles from the whole thing had things turned out different. 

In the end I'm only happy with the way things turned out, since the boys have proved to be resilient after that and they're happy now.  Their experience of the trilogy era certainly had a strong and positive impact on the whole for them. Moreover, what they have accomplished, and tried to accomplish, during that era, is something I feel proud of in itself. And I hope (I think) they too.

Archived