Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

I don't think that Green Day needs to remain popular, but care about the people they have as fans, that means quality music. If it's good, only time will tell.

Green Day already did the "retro style" songs with FHT and some of the trilogy.

To me, they have 3 options: a very fast and hard record, a very complex album, with a lot of arrangements, sections and probably an orchestra too. Or a paced down album, acoustic or country like songs. Nothing of this will happen, but one can dream :lol:

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8.12.2017 at 6:27 PM, Hermione said:

There isn't much that musically sounds like Green Day but you can still find music in the charts that stands against authority/for what's right or that talks intelligently and honestly about things. It's always been mostly more frivolous music in the charts but it's never all been just frivolous stuff and still isn't. Music doesn't have to be in the rock genre to be meaningful or to be aligned to the kinds of things Green Day stand for as artists. Although like you I'd hope that they wouldn't change their sound just to be relevant and would continue to make the music they want regardless (and also don't don't think that would happen).

That's true. I was mainly talking about artists who consciously change their sound so that they can sell more records. I agree, there's more than just rock music and other genres can be meaningful as well. It's great if an artists can do both: beeing commercially successful and releasing good music. But if your priority is commercial success, that's an attitude that I don't like. However, that is not only related to pop music. Nickelback is a rock band but their output is...well, it's Nickelback :D. I just don't want Green Day to think: How can we sell as many records as possible? I want them to focus on the quality of the music. Everything else is only a bonus for me ;).

12 minutes ago, Mikeclemens2016 said:

What do you mean through the new year?😕

I mean until the holidays are over at the very least I’m guessing.

6 hours ago, Mikeclemens2016 said:

@Todd

Is it true that Green Day is already going straight into the studio to record another album

Because I saw a lot of comments saying that they are

They already did. This thread was made in September, right when they recorded "Back in the USA". Who knows when they're going back to record more ;) 

The average wait between albums is about 2.5 years.  

So.....We're looking at a April 5th, 2019 release date.  Granted when I did all this stupid math to determine Rev Rad's release date, I overshot it and they released earlier than i thought.  I predicted June 23rd, 2017 for Revolution Radio and it was October 7th, 2016.   

So I might be four months off and we could be looking at a January 5th 2019 release.   

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5 hours ago, greendepent said:

I don't think that Green Day needs to remain popular, but care about the people they have as fans, that means quality music. If it's good, only time will tell.

Green Day already did the "retro style" songs with FHT and some of the trilogy.

To me, they have 3 options: a very fast and hard record, a very complex album, with a lot of arrangements, sections and probably an orchestra too. Or a paced down album, acoustic or country like songs. Nothing of this will happen, but one can dream :lol:

If they release an album of country like songs, I'm out. 

If they continue to release good music then I don't think they stand to lose much in popularity. Rock is already at it's lowest point in popularity since it's inception (IMO) and they're not releasing pop radio garbage to stay popular and yet still doing pretty well. The only way I see them losing popularity at this point is a) if they put out a bad record or b) They finally age past a certain point and not as many of the young kids get into them anymore because they're grandparent age. 

3 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

If they continue to release good music then I don't think they stand to lose much in popularity. Rock is already at it's lowest point in popularity since it's inception (IMO) and they're not releasing pop radio garbage to stay popular and yet still doing pretty well. The only way I see them losing popularity at this point is a) if they put out a bad record or b) They finally age past a certain point and not as many of the young kids get into them anymore because they're grandparent age. 

Well, BJ did the Fovererly thing with Norah Jones and it's actually a pretty cool thing. Probably we differ in our conception of country style, but hell, there is Dominated Love Slave :lol:

Rock music in general just need to release quality music. Times change, and the style needs to adapt, as listeners need too. Green Day needs to accept that they are becoming a vintage act. I'm okay with that. Is part of the life :)

2 hours ago, greendepent said:

Well, BJ did the Fovererly thing with Norah Jones and it's actually a pretty cool thing. Probably we differ in our conception of country style, but hell, there is Dominated Love Slave :lol:

Rock music in general just need to release quality music. Times change, and the style needs to adapt, as listeners need too. Green Day needs to accept that they are becoming a vintage act. I'm okay with that. Is part of the life :)

Yeah but that's not Green Day. And it's an album of covers not an album he wrote. Very big difference. And I kinda look at Dominated Love Slave as a joke song plus Tre sings it. So that's it's own category. But if they come out with like a Garth Brooks style album I'm gone. If you're talking about like Johnny Cash or something though, I'm still out unless it's a side project because that's too much change, haha.

I've said a lot on the whole "vintage" or "nostalgia" act thing so I won't reiterate but I think it's nonsense until you're not bringing in new fans young fans. Which they are. And I don't think they need to accept anything. I think they should keep doing what they want regardless. If they stop doing that and start creating songs with the new trends just for the sake of it, that's when they'll become a vintage act. 

3 hours ago, gaslight13 said:

I don't think Green Day would ever just release a whole album that's totally different in sound from front to back.  And I believe I've heard Billie Joe bash country a time or two, so I don't think this will happen. Maybe a few acoustic numbers could have a country sound, but I doubt Billie will put a twang on his voice, THAT really would be bad, haha!

I'd love for them to expand and push the boundaries of their vocals/guitar/bass/drums combination and maybe do a totally different rock sound.  

Now your A and B scenarios....If A) happened over and over, the end result would be B).  

They have yet to put out a bad record, but the ups and down, man.  These are their ups and downs, according to me:

1039 was better, so Kerplunk was a drop in quality.  

Dookie was waaaay better, so we go up. 

Insomniac was a drop.  

Nimrod skyrocketed them back on top.   

Warning was another step up!

American Idiot was a step on the stairway to heaven, aaaaall the way up!

21st Century was about 8 steps down....despite me loving this album, it just could not compare to what came before it.  

Uno surprisingly enough is a step up! 

Dos was a minor drop.

Tre was a step up.  

Revolution Radio was a step up.  

TALLY:   Up, down, up, down, up, up, up, down, up, down, up, up. 

So for me, there were only four albums that weren't as good as the one that came before it. 

I'd be really surprised and hurt if Green Day make a bad album.  I'd be really surprised to hear anything by these guys I don't like.  

The good news is according to my up/down thingie, looks like we're in for another step up in quality of album.  

34 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I don't think Green Day would ever just release a whole album that's totally different in sound from front to back.  And I believe I've heard Billie Joe bash country a time or two, so I don't think this will happen. Maybe a few acoustic numbers could have a country sound, but I doubt Billie will put a twang on his voice, THAT really would be bad, haha!

I'd love for them to expand and push the boundaries of their vocals/guitar/bass/drums combination and maybe do a totally different rock sound.  

Now your A and B scenarios....If A) happened over and over, the end result would be B).  

They have yet to put out a bad record, but the ups and down, man.  These are their ups and downs, according to me:

1039 was better, so Kerplunk was a drop in quality.  

Dookie was waaaay better, so we go up. 

Insomniac was a drop.  

Nimrod skyrocketed them back on top.   

Warning was another step up!

American Idiot was a step on the stairway to heaven, aaaaall the way up!

21st Century was about 8 steps down....despite me loving this album, it just could not compare to what came before it.  

Uno surprisingly enough is a step up! 

Dos was a minor drop.

Tre was a step up.  

Revolution Radio was a step up.  

TALLY:   Up, down, up, down, up, up, up, down, up, down, up, up. 

So for me, there were only four albums that weren't as good as the one that came before it. 

I'd be really surprised and hurt if Green Day make a bad album.  I'd be really surprised to hear anything by these guys I don't like.  

The good news is according to my up/down thingie, looks like we're in for another step up in quality of album.  

I agree with all of this (except some of the ups and downs). But either way, they've never made a truly bad album. The trilogy is the closest thing I think to them bombing but it still wasn't terrible and I think that's just because there were so many songs. I've yet to find a double album where I truly think none of the songs should be cut, forget triple. And Rev Rad was such a strong return that I'm not too worried. I'd love to see them challenge themselves always but I'm not getting to bogged down in the details of what that is because change is only good if the end result is good.

On 10.12.2017 at 7:54 AM, Hermione said:

I doubt they'd make it a regular part of their sound, I couldn't picture it. But if they did some more songs with hip hop involved I for one would be happy :P. I still want to hear them collaborate with a really good/respected hip hop artist (nothing against Lady Cobra but she can only barely be called a rapper, and the Lonely Island thing is just a novelty song). I don't mean for the sake of being relevant or whatever, just because when rock bands collaborate with rap artists it can sometimes be great, and I like both so I enjoy seeing them together.

Ugh no, I hope they won't do that. I like Nightlife because it totally fits the vibe of Dos and it was experimental and a very interesting song for various reasons, but I hope that's not the sound Green Day is going for in the future, even if this was the only chance to become more or stay popular. We already have too much rap/hip hop in the mainstream music and there's more and more rap/hip hop influence in rock music, so I hope Green Day will do something different. I'd rather see them revive and revolutionize the sound of punk / rock'n'roll once more like they've done before.

21 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Green Day have a passion for older music, particularly The Who and Queen (there are hundreds more: Replacements, Dylan, Ramones, Clash, Cheap Trick.........the freaking Beatles....)  and have incorporated bits of it into their style, but I would definitely be up for the guys doing a more vintage rock sounding album.   

For me the choice would be The Who.  They've been a huge influence on Green Day and I think if anyone is going to do any kind of justice to their brand of Rock N Roll it would have to be Green Day.   To me, The Who are one of the few bands that really bled for their art, really f**king meant what they were singing.  Like Green Day.  

I love the idea. And then The Who and Green Day go on tour together in 2019 in celebration of the 50th anniversary of Tommy and the 15th anniversary of American Idiot and play both albums in full length. I would just die.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:54 AM, Hermione said:

They already did :whistle

I doubt they'd make it a regular part of their sound, I couldn't picture it. But if they did some more songs with hip hop involved I for one would be happy :P. I still want to hear them collaborate with a really good/respected hip hop artist (nothing against Lady Cobra but she can only barely be called a rapper, and the Lonely Island thing is just a novelty song). I don't mean for the sake of being relevant or whatever, just because when rock bands collaborate with rap artists it can sometimes be great, and I like both so I enjoy seeing them together.

7 hours ago, Thatsername said:

Ugh no, I hope they won't do that. I like Nightlife because it totally fits the vibe of Dos and it was experimental and a very interesting song for various reasons, but I hope that's not the sound Green Day is going for in the future, even if this was the only chance to become more or stay popular. We already have too much rap/hip hop in the mainstream music and there's more and more rap/hip hop influence in rock music, so I hope Green Day will do something different. I'd rather see them revive and revolutionize the sound of punk / rock'n'roll once more like they've done before.

Not to quote everyone... but I personally would be widely interested to see Green Day continue to explore new grounds, instead of exclusively celebrating some venerable rock genre, which has incidentally never fallen into disgrace, despite what people statistically listen the most to today. Green Day have always been most loyal and respectful to the rock genre, but in a punk rock spirit they've also allowed themselves to go beyond any existing barrier and make the music they felt like doing at every point of their career; without doing it "for the sake of being relevant" like @Hermione rightly said, but because music represents freedom before anything else. Before punk rock or rock or any music gender limitation. I love all the music Green Day have made, from their teenage years to now, and as I get deeper into each album, I more and more find the trilogy to be their most fascinating piece of work, without having anything to envy from another album. But even so, if they don't explore that way further in the future, I don't really mind, I believe they'll remain entirely free with themselves in their process of making music. So I don't expect anything particular, I know I'll be blown away whatever they come up with... 

Also, I believe it's possible to be okay with every type of music, that's my case. I've opened myself to various genders after falling in love with Green Day, at various degrees, but I can't think of one music gender I dislike. My luck was perhaps the fact I came to Green Day while having a quite poor musical culture, so all the various stuff I discovered after that, I was able to like it, at various degrees, in a natural way, without any inherited luggage of any kind in my mind coming to block or influence me. Even Green Day didn't convince me rap could't be good - and the fact they made Nightlife, precisely after criticizing rap at one time, fills me with undeniable joy, and gladness to be a Green Day fan.

hey everybody,
i don't post here much but y'all are killing it in this thread, thought i'd throw my hat in. 

i think the majority of green day's work has been influenced primarily by 5 bands, the beatles, the who, the ramones, the clash and the replacements. billie has cited those 5 a million times, from when he was 18 all the way up until today I'm pretty sure. i think you can hear the influence of those 5 on every single green day album, 39/smooth through rev rad. theres of course other bands they're influenced by (the kinks, the rolling stones, the buzzcocks, husker du, crimpshrine) but in my opinion, those 5 five are the biggest.

so when it comes to how their next album will sound i'd put my money on it not being much different. i'm expecting a mix of 60s rock n roll (beatles, who), 70s punk/power pop (ramones, clash) and 80s alternative (replacements)... pretty much as every album of theirs has been. production might change, as it has in the past, and maybe they'll switch up the recording process by working with a different producer, but in terms of the core music and sound at the center of the album, i can't imagine it not sounding influenced by 60s rock n roll and 70s power pop/punk. i don't personally see them putting out a country album, or an electronic album, or any sort of curve ball like that. i think they'll do what they've always done, and i'm sure they'll do it incredibly well as always.

lyrically, since billie has been so vocal about his disgust for trump, and his disillusionment with the current state of the u.s. government as a whole, i wouldn't be surprised if their next album was a little more socially/politically charged. but i don't think it'll be a FULL political album, as everything they've done has always leaned more to the personal and autobiographical.

so yeah, my prediction would be an album musically influenced by 60s rock n roll and 70s power pop/punk, with lyrics addressing social/political issues in a personal and emotional way, along with songs just about billie's personal state of being (usually a little lost and disillusioned, but with a sprinkle of hope). now if they deliver all of that in the form of a concept/story album, or just a straight forward batch of songs... obviously who knows. that could go either way. i know how ambitious they are, and i wouldn't be surprised if they missed doing concept records, so maybe it'll be more in that direction. but again, who knows. I'm sure they don't even know yet. and to be clear, i'm not trying to say they don't try new things, or that they aren't creative, or anything like that. i think billie cares more about writing good songs that accurately express how he is feeling and what he is thinking, in a fun, catchy and beautiful way that hopefully his fans can relate to. i don't think his goal is to constantly pull the rug out from under us, they've never really been that kind of band. i think they're goal is to write honest, catchy, relatable songs, and they do that incredibly well. they've never been about reinventing the wheel. with every album its like a new diary entry into their personal journal. its more about staying honest and capturing that honesty with heart and emotion, than it is about doing something shockingly new or just so random and different that no one sees coming. 

whatever happens, I'm stoked for it, and we can rest assured that however it sounds, or whatever themes they explore, it'll be honest and it'll come from the heart. and i think thats what matters most.

I'd say it's time to try a new producer.  

Here's what I've been thinking about tonight:  

How crazy the shifts in their career have been.  Their wikipedia has their career broken up into stages and it's fairly accurate.  From that standpoint, we're on the verge of the Eighth Phase of their career.   

Most of the lows in their career were due to the previous album being insanely popular.  Dookie was a game changer and Insomniac paid the price. Nimrod did pretty good and Warning got a luke-warm reception.   American Idiot is the greatest piece of art ever made so the next four albums suffered.  Sure Breakdown performed well, but it got a lot of back-handed compliments and comparisons it just didn't deserve.  And the trilogy just had everything going against it.  

Rev Rad however.  Rev Rad seems like Goldilocks..  It's just right.  Not insanely mind-blowingly the greatest thing in the universe, but freaking amazing nontheless.  It seems like the guys could successfully follow it up with just about any kind of record and stay at the same level of success they had in 2015-2017.  

2018-2020 could be a very lucrative time for the band, and I think they should go big and go for broke.  Absolutely I will always love them even if sells are nonresistant and the world hates them.  But now is the time they could show the world one more time that they are in fact, the world's favorite band....

Follow up Rev Rad with a kick-ass 13th record and your place in music history will be so solid that no one could deny your legacy.  

LEGACY. that's a pretty cool album title..........

This is the album that says NO MORE VOCAL EFFECTS.  Billie Joe can sing like nobodies business, it's time we hear the full extent of what he can do utilized.  

Man, I love this site.  

6 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

How crazy the shifts in their career have been.  Their wikipedia has their career broken up into stages and it's fairly accurate.  From that standpoint, we're on the verge of the Eighth Phase of their career.   

Most of the lows in their career were due to the previous album being insanely popular.  Dookie was a game changer and Insomniac paid the price. Nimrod did pretty good and Warning got a luke-warm reception.   American Idiot is the greatest piece of art ever made so the next four albums suffered.  Sure Breakdown performed well, but it got a lot of back-handed compliments and comparisons it just didn't deserve.  And the trilogy just had everything going against it.  

Rev Rad however.  Rev Rad seems like Goldilocks..  It's just right.  Not insanely mind-blowingly the greatest thing in the universe, but freaking amazing nontheless.  It seems like the guys could successfully follow it up with just about any kind of record and stay at the same level of success they had in 2015-2017.  

2018-2020 could be a very lucrative time for the band, and I think they should go big and go for broke.  Absolutely I will always love them even if sells are nonresistant and the world hates them.  But now is the time they could show the world one more time that they are in fact, the world's favorite band....

Follow up Rev Rad with a kick-ass 13th record and your place in music history will be so solid that no one could deny your legacy.  

This is the album that says NO MORE VOCAL EFFECTS.  Billie Joe can sing like nobodies business, it's time we hear the full extent of what he can do utilized.  

Man, I love this site.  

What are some producers you'd like see them work with? It'd be interesting for sure...

7 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Man, I love this site.  

I don't think that RevRad is better than 21CB or the trilogy. 21CB I think is vastly superior, and while RR is better than each individual trilogy album, I'd definitely take all 3 trilogy albums over RR. RevRad was fine but idk. I don't think it's amazing.

I definitely agree that they should stop with the vocal effects. I mean, Demolicious has so much better vocals than the trilogy albums. I never really had a problem with the trilogy vocals until I listened to Demolicious. And Billie has such a great voice, it's completely unnecessary.

I am rubbish at comparing the different albums, I see a relationship but consider them all different, I have my favourites but those are different today than they were six months ago and will most likely change again, I can never pin it down so don't understand the "this album is way better than that album" thing from my point of view.  I do have different times when I like to play particular albums as opposed to others so maybe that amounts to the same thing.

I know nothing about production at all but I do think Billie has a great voice and I hear vocal filters and agree with the desire to hear him without all that going on.

Welcome @straighttohell, you may find, like a lot of us, this place becomes a habit!

7 hours ago, straighttohell said:

What are some producers you'd like see them work with? It'd be interesting for sure...

I really haven't thought about it but.....

Someone they haven't worked with, which doesn't narrow it down at all.  They've only ever worked with Andy Ernst, Rob Cavallo and Butch Vig.  

Andy Ernst would make old-school fans soooo happy.  But I say no.  

I would say Rick Rubin.  

7 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I really haven't thought about it but.....

Someone they haven't worked with, which doesn't narrow it down at all.  They've only ever worked with Andy Ernst, Rob Cavallo and Butch Vig.  

Andy Ernst would make old-school fans soooo happy.  But I say no.  

I would say Rick Rubin.  

What did they do with Ernst? 

1 hour ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

What did they do with Ernst? 

Yeah, I didn't recognize the name either until I started researching.  

I retract my suggestion of Rubin.  Now I'm leaning toward Chris Norwood.  

Archived