Green Day is already going straight into the studio?

Tina Sixx

54 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Your enthusiasm is unparalleled on this site

Thank you! I had gotten out of posting for a while, but the possibility of ALBUM 13 has me all enthused again! 

Green Day rarely do the same thing twice, so I'm anxious to see what they come up with.  A side project album perhaps? An extended wait while they spend years perfecting a huge comeback album?  Or a blistering, fiery straight up Rock N Roll record coming soon?  Something else entirely?!

Green Day are the only band I think about like this.  The only band to never disappoint!  

ALBUM 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

They could do the Sonic Highways approach and record different songs in different places.  I was just reading an article about Green Day hanging out in Australia and I came up with this: 

Foo Fighters already did different cities, so Green Day should do continents!  (or at least countries, but GO BIG OR GO HOME! haha)  

7 continents.  7 epic tracks!

and then three songs recorded in orbit around the earth to celebrate unity of all mankind!

Planet: Punk is a working title.

Meteorite could be cool title as well.  

Next is Nickelback recording on different planets.

6 minutes ago, Matt. said:

Next is Nickelback recording on different planets.

Maybe they'll find inspiration for some good music on one of those planets :P 

7 hours ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

They could do the Sonic Highways approach and record different songs in different places.  I was just reading an article about Green Day hanging out in Australia and I came up with this: 

Foo Fighters already did different cities, so Green Day should do continents!  (or at least countries, but GO BIG OR GO HOME! haha)  

7 continents.  7 epic tracks!

and then three songs recorded in orbit around the earth to celebrate unity of all mankind!

Planet: Punk is a working title.

Meteorite could be cool title as well.  

7 continents? Even Antarctica? I'm not sure there's any recording studio there :lol:

3 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

7 continents? Even Antarctica? I'm not sure there's any recording studio there :lol:

They are just going to set up some gear and play the song in the middle of the snow.  Should give it an interesting sound.  

43 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Maybe they'll find inspiration for some good music on one of those planets :P 

''Look at this planet on this photographhh!''.

44 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

They are just going to set up some gear and play the song in the middle of the snow.  Should give it an interesting sound.  

It should certainly be an interesting music video too

24 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

It should certainly be an interesting music video too

You know, that isn't a bad idea.  Just the guys with their instruments and amps out on a melting ice berg.  Blizzard surrounding them.  Waves crashing, it could be an epic video with nothing more really going on.  

Or if that's not colorful enough, maybe the green ooze from the Idiot video could explode out of the ice.   !

Also, I could see the guys having a light saber battle with Darth Vader......maybe in the snow, or somewhere else.   Hmmmm.

MAN, they really need to hire me to direct their videos.  I know what people want in a Green Day video!  Get me those girls from the Oh Love video, pronto!

Just watching BIAB and I realized something. When GD came out with Dookie, their first big career high, they managed to do it by bringing back what many considered to be a dead and unpopular genre (punk) and mixing it with a popular accessible sound and making it popular again. In short, they revived punk by creating pop punk.

Flashforward to American Idiot, their next big career high, and they succeeded by bringing back what many considered to be a dead and unpopular idea (the concept album) and mixing it with a now popular accessible sound (pop punk thanks to them) and making it popular again. At least in a limited sense, they revived the concept album.

Today I would argue that the dead and unpopular thing is now rock music itself. If GD are going to release something big and attention grabbing, they need to find a way to revive rock by mixing it with a popular accessible sound of today but doing it their way. If they can manage that without compromise, they can be the band that gets credit for bringing rock back into the mainstream in the same way they did for punk and classic rock before (twice).  Otherwise, they may risk taking that slide into nostalgia status.

58 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Just watching BIAB and I realized something. When GD came out with Dookie, their first big career high, they managed to do it by bringing back what many considered to be a dead and unpopular genre (punk) and mixing it with a popular accessible sound and making it popular again. In short, they revived punk by creating pop punk.

Flashforward to American Idiot, their next big career high, and they succeeded by bringing back what many considered to be a dead and unpopular idea (the concept album) and mixing it with a now popular accessible sound (pop punk thanks to them) and making it popular again. At least in a limited sense, they revived the concept album.

Today I would argue that the dead and unpopular thing is now rock music itself. If GD are going to release something big and attention grabbing, they need to find a way to revive rock by mixing it with a popular accessible sound of today but doing it their way. If they can manage that without compromise, they can be the band that gets credit for bringing rock back into the mainstream in the same way they did for punk and classic rock before (twice).  Otherwise, they may risk taking that slide into nostalgia status.

This is a difficult premise. I’ve mulled this same idea over in my mind a lot. The problem is rock/punk is so far removed from the public and mainstream sound that I really can’t foresee a time when Green Day can achieve American Idiot level  recognition again. Think back to 2004, rock music still had it’s place on radio, therefore it was more accessible and generally acknowledged by the mainstream. That era is long gone. The closest thing you hear to rock on the radio is Imagine Dragons and Twenty One Pilots, a far cry from a traditional rock and punk sound. You see a lot of pop punk bands altering their sound in order to fit into a world where rap and hip hop thrive. I’ve even heard of bands limiting the guitars on songs and using programmed drums in order to increase the likelihood of radio play. This will have to change in order for Green Day to have a major comeback like you described. I hate to agree with Brandon Flowers of the Killers, but he believes the rock bands of today aren’t of the same caliber of those past. I think he may have a point. To put it simply, rock music needs to have a place in the mainstream for Green Day to blow up again. 

4 minutes ago, nick. said:

This is a difficult premise. I’ve mulled this same idea over in my mind a lot. The problem is rock/punk is so far removed from the public and mainstream sound that I really can’t foresee a time when Green Day can achieve American Idiot level  recognition again. Think back to 2004, rock music still had it’s place on radio, therefore it was more accessible and generally acknowledged by the mainstream. That era is long gone. The closest thing you hear to rock on the radio is Imagine Dragons and Twenty One Pilots, a far cry from a traditional rock and punk sound. You see a lot of pop punk bands altering their sound in order to fit into a world where rap and hip hop thrive. I’ve even heard of bands limiting the guitars on songs and using programmed drums in order to increase the likelihood of radio play. This will have to change in order for Green Day to have a major comeback like you described. I hate to agree with Brandon Flowers of the Killers, but he believes the rock bands of today aren’t of the same caliber of those past. I think he may have a point. To put it simply, rock music needs to have a place in the mainstream for Green Day to blow up again. 

But that wasn’t true of punk. It wasn’t in the mainstream.  Everyone said punk doesn’t sell. Even Rob Cavallo didn’t think Dookie would sell that well but he believed in it for the small group of people he thought would care. Punk wasn’t in the mainstream until Green Day put it there. No one was making concept records anymore until Green Day brought it back. At the time, rock was the popular sound but punk and concept albums were not. Now it’s rock that isn’t popular but like punk they can use what’s current to bring it back (theoretically)

18 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But that wasn’t true of punk. It wasn’t in the mainstream.  Everyone said punk doesn’t sell. Even Rob Cavallo didn’t think Dookie would sell that well but he believed in it for the small group of people he thought would care. Punk wasn’t in the mainstream until Green Day put it there. No one was making concept records anymore until Green Day brought it back. At the time, rock was the popular sound but punk and concept albums were not. Now it’s rock that isn’t popular but like punk they can use what’s current to bring it back (theoretically)

Sure, but honestly punk is a subset of the rock genre. It’s easier to introduce a new branch from the same tree. I’m speaking to where we stand now which is unprecedented territory in the mainstream music world. Hip hop and rap has become massively more popular than rock for the first time in history. Rock music has been choked off from the mainstream making it more difficult for any rock/punk band to see any real popular success like GD did in 2004. But the music industry is cicular. I’m projecting it will be YEARS before rock is dominant again. Thus, Green Day will probably recede further in popularity like most other rock artists. 

14 hours ago, nick. said:

Hip hop and rap has become massively more popular than rock for the first time in history. 

I agree with everything else you wrote but rap been more popular for a very long time, and pop has always been more popular. Look at any list of the highest charting songs of any year in the last 20....you will see lots of pop, rnb, rap, and less rock in comparison. I agree that rock is at its lowest popularity for a while, but even when it was bigger like when AI came out it was still behind pop and rap (check out the highest charting songs of 2004, or any other year linked at the bottom). Even if you look right back to the 60s pop has always ruled over rock, it's never going to be the number one genre. But yeah, when it's not so very unpopular as it is now it does help.

I'd love to see Green Day beeing as popular as they once were again, but to me, the most important thing is the quality of their music. If they sacrifice their style in order to stay relevant for the mainstream, a majority of the fans will quite likely be more than disappointed. The music that you hear on the radio these days has no points of contact with anything that Green Day stands for. So I have no idea how they could incorporate the current musical trends into their songs. The priority should always be the quality of the music. Some bands, like Fall Out Boy, have managed to stay commercially successful, but they also sacrificed the heart of their music. And I don't want Green Day to go the same way. But I also don't think that it will happen.

@Too Dumb to Die(s): Planet Punk is the title of an album by one of my favourite German bands, so I really like your idea :shifty:.

5 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I'd love to see Green Day beeing as popular as they once were again, but to me, the most important thing is the quality of their music. If they sacrifice their style in order to stay relevant for the mainstream, a majority of the fans will quite likely be more than disappointed. The music that you hear on the radio these days has no points of contact with anything that Green Day stands for. So I have no idea how they could incorporate the current musical trends into their songs. The priority should always be the quality of the music. Some bands, like Fall Out Boy, have managed to stay commercially successful, but they also sacrificed the heart of their music. And I don't want Green Day to go the same way. But I also don't think that it will happen.

@Too Dumb to Die(s): Planet Punk is the title of an album by one of my favourite German bands, so I really like your idea :shifty:.

There isn't much that musically sounds like Green Day but you can still find music in the charts that stands against authority/for what's right or that talks intelligently and honestly about things. It's always been mostly more frivolous music in the charts but it's never all been just frivolous stuff and still isn't. Music doesn't have to be in the rock genre to be meaningful or to be aligned to the kinds of things Green Day stand for as artists. Although like you I'd hope that they wouldn't change their sound just to be relevant and would continue to make the music they want regardless (and also don't don't think that would happen).

American Idiot didn't revive the concept album aside from a few bands trying to ride AI's success. Overall, concept albums still come out at a similar frequency. They haven't really ever been "big" because it's so hard to define what they are.

On 12/7/2017 at 2:00 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

I like the way you think ;)

Also, you should do their promotion :lol:

On 12/8/2017 at 6:24 AM, Hermione said:

I agree with everything else you wrote but rap been more popular for a very long time, and pop has always been more popular. Look at any list of the highest charting songs of any year in the last 20....you will see lots of pop, rnb, rap, and less rock in comparison. I agree that rock is at its lowest popularity for a while, but even when it was bigger like when AI came out it was still behind pop and rap (check out the highest charting songs of 2004, or any other year linked at the bottom). Even if you look right back to the 60s pop has always ruled over rock, it's never going to be the number one genre. But yeah, when it's not so very unpopular as it is now it does help.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:10 AM, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I swear to god, if they start incorporating hip hop into their music like every single muthufuggin band/artist currently in the mainstream spectrum,...... I for one am not going to be a happy camper.

But whatever,...... I digress

2 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I like the way you think ;)

Also, you should do their promotion :lol:

I swear to god, if they start incorporating hip hop into their music like every single muthufuggin band/artist currently in the mainstream spectrum,...... I for one am not going to be a happy camper.

But whatever,...... I digress

They already did :whistle

I doubt they'd make it a regular part of their sound, I couldn't picture it. But if they did some more songs with hip hop involved I for one would be happy :P. I still want to hear them collaborate with a really good/respected hip hop artist (nothing against Lady Cobra but she can only barely be called a rapper, and the Lonely Island thing is just a novelty song). I don't mean for the sake of being relevant or whatever, just because when rock bands collaborate with rap artists it can sometimes be great, and I like both so I enjoy seeing them together.

On 12/7/2017 at 2:00 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

I love it when modern bands go for a 'classic rock' or throwback sound.  Foo Fighters were virtually turning into a Led Zeppelin / Pink Floyd hybrid on their new album and the results were pretty darn refreshing in my opinion.   

Green Day have a passion for older music, particularly The Who and Queen (there are hundreds more: Replacements, Dylan, Ramones, Clash, Cheap Trick.........the freaking Beatles....)  and have incorporated bits of it into their style, but I would definitely be up for the guys doing a more vintage rock sounding album.   

For me the choice would be The Who.  They've been a huge influence on Green Day and I think if anyone is going to do any kind of justice to their brand of Rock N Roll it would have to be Green Day.   To me, The Who are one of the few bands that really bled for their art, really f**king meant what they were singing.  Like Green Day.   

Oh man, I'm already thinking of titles for this thing:  

Green Day Sell Out! 

Green Day's Next / The Next Green Day

On 12/8/2017 at 6:24 AM, Hermione said:

I went to middle school 1996-1998, and all the cool kids were listening to Hip Hop and Country even then.  Basically an "anything but Rock" rule for the cool kids, bullies and flat out jerks.  Rock is a popular form and has been since the 50s - but there is a serious disconnect between people who like Rock and are open to different genres....and the douchebags who only blast the latest pop/hip hop hits that are disposable 1 second after it falls off the charts.  That's how I fell in love with music.  In middle school they would play the pop station and I would be digging the Alanis or Sheryl songs while everyone else was going nuts for Blackstreet, Braxton, etc.

I was exposed to all music as a kid, with a focus on Country and Pop Rock from my parents.  I wish there weren't this Us against Them mentality with music, but I guess that's part of human nature.  

Everyone says "oh I like everything" but it's not true. 

I'm willing to admit what I like and don't.   I do listen to variety, but Rock is what I have a passion for.  R&B would be my least favorite genre, but there are songs I like in that style as well.     

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

They already did :whistle

I doubt they'd make it a regular part of their sound, I couldn't picture it. But if they did some more songs with hip hop involved I for one would be happy :P. I still want to hear them collaborate with a really good/respected hip hop artist (nothing against Lady Cobra but she can only barely be called a rapper, and the Lonely Island thing is just a novelty song). I don't mean for the sake of being relevant or whatever, just because when rock bands collaborate with rap artists it can sometimes be great, and I like both so I enjoy seeing them together.

R.E.M, Bad Religion, BLINK-182 and Blue October all had pretty good cuts with rappers.  

On 12/6/2017 at 4:02 PM, MysticManiac said:

Not a studio, but Metallica did play a show in Antarctica. It was fascinating how they pulled it off! 

@Todd

Is it true that Green Day is already going straight into the studio to record another album

Because I saw a lot of comments saying that they are

27 minutes ago, Mikeclemens2016 said:

@Todd

Is it true that Green Day is already going straight into the studio to record another album

Because I saw a lot of comments saying that they are

I don't think so

9 minutes ago, Mikeclemens2016 said:

Y is there a comment saying they are

It doesn’t mean right now. It was based on info from the end of the tour where @LaughingClock was told by an insider that after a short break the band want to go right back to the studio to record their next album. We don’t know what “short break” means but certainly through the New Year and that’s why this thread. So discuss.

Archived