Green Day, Manager Pat Magnarella Part After 21 Years

Daddy.

I don't want to speculate, so I'm not going to. All I'll say is that this is the kind of drama I'd hoped we'd moved past at this point. Everything felt so stable at the beginning of this era, and it was beautiful. I don't think I was ever more in love with this band than when RevRad came out. I'm not saying this are unstable now — by all accounts, the band seems thrilled to be touring and all is well. But here and there, things have started to feel...eh, a little shaky from time to time. While I don't agree with those making grand assumptions about Billie's behavior, the setlists, ticket sales, or anything else, I also don't blame anyone for feeling concern. We collectively went through hell in the not so distant past. No one wants a repeat, and weird, out-of-the-blue changes like this spark some worry. I get it. 

My apologies — years of riding the ups and downs with this band gets to me sometimes. I love them with all my heart, but they also wear me down sometimes like nothing else. Brutal love indeed, lol. 

I hope the band and Pat remain on good terms personally, even though they decided to part ways professionally. It's sad to see this situation transpire mid-tour. Pat sounds like a lovely person, and I appreciate everything he has done for the band.

@LaughingClock , you're forever my fave. :happy: Thanks for your insight.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to speculate, so I'm not going to. All I'll say is that this is the kind of drama I'd hoped we'd moved past at this point. Everything felt so stable at the beginning of this era, and it was beautiful. I don't think I was ever more in love with this band than when RevRad came out. I'm not saying this are unstable now — by all accounts, the band seems thrilled to be touring and all is well. But here and there, things have started to feel...eh, a little shaky from time to time. While I don't agree with those making grand assumptions about Billie's behavior, the setlists, ticket sales, or anything else, I also don't blame anyone for feeling concern. We collectively went through hell in the not so distant past. No one wants a repeat, and weird, out-of-the-blue changes like this spark some worry. I get it. 

Fair enough, though I don't really understand the drama part. Where do you see any drama? The parting with Pat has been pretty low key. It was mentioned by the press almost as a mere change of staff. No dramatic speculations whatsoever (not that I've seen). Also, I think they are pretty "stable" right now, too. I mean, they aren't robots who just go through their program each night and that BJA speaks his mind in a USA threatened by fascism isn't really a huge surprise. 

I get that you are easily concerned due to what happened in the past. While that's understandable and I won't blame anyone for that either, it's still also kind of unfair for Billie who - as I see it - only wants to enjoy this tour and the newfound unity with his band. They haven't been this happy and affectionate with each other for a while. 

@melissi_unicorn I just look at parting with your manager, a colleague of 21 years, mid-tour somewhat dramatic no matter what happened — even if it was mutual, even if it was on decent terms. It's more than just a change of staff in this instance. Whenever anyone leaves a job, it feels slightly dramatic — it's a big shift, and a big life change that people don't take lightly. After working so long with the same folks and being involved with their personal lives, that must be tough. For him to leave mid-tour strikes me as odd, that's all. Like I said, I hope they're personally still friends, even if it didn't work out professionally. 

On 8/24/2017 at 1:47 AM, melissi_unicorn said:

Fair enough, though I don't really understand the drama part. Where do you see any drama? The parting with Pat has been pretty low key. It was mentioned by the press almost as a mere change of staff. No dramatic speculations whatsoever (not that I've seen). Also, I think they are pretty "stable" right now, too. I mean, they aren't robots who just go through their program each night and that BJA speaks his mind in a USA threatened by fascism isn't really a huge surprise. 

I get that you are easily concerned due to what happened in the past. While that's understandable and I won't blame anyone for that either, it's still also kind of unfair for Billie who - as I see it - only wants to enjoy this tour and the newfound unity with his band. They haven't been this happy and affectionate with each other for a while. 

You make a good point which is like...none of the media seemed to be going crazy about it, just informative. Perhaps we felt the weight of it here a lot more because we feel closer to the context and have known/known of Pat for a long time now. In other words...we probably care a whole lot more than the media does. There's maybe where that sense of "drama" comes from.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming to this conversation almost a month later. Bare in mind I didn't read any of the comments.

I think it has something to do with what happened at the Mad Cool Festival, where they performed without knowing a man died just a few minutes ago. It is their managers' job to make sure shit like that won't happen.

1 hour ago, T@l said:

Coming to this conversation almost a month later. Bare in mind I didn't read any of the comments.

I think it has something to do with what happened at the Mad Cool Festival, where they performed without knowing a man died just a few minutes ago. It is their managers' job to make sure shit like that won't happen.

Why even speculate that when we have no way of knowing though? Before the manager can make the band aware it's the festival's job to make the manager aware....we don't know if that happened or most of the details of what happened at the festival. Speculating that something we don't know the details of might have caused something else we don't know the details of, it's a stretch :P 

So how's everyone feeling about this change now? Just to recap, since this announcement was made we've had:

Billie, Mike and Tre back on Twitter, shooting shit and interacting with fans

More daily instagram posts and livestreams from soundchecks and various silly places and things (#shutupgreg)

More radio interviews in local towns including one radio station livestream that was the funniest thing we've heard all tour

A contest where the winner gets a private concert in their garage

A Facebook live fundraiser concert for Harvey that featured 30 minutes of deep tracks

Have I left anything out? Because SSSSSHHHHHIIIITTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! 

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Is it all due to new management?  It would be great if it was, I said earlier their profile is too low in my opinion.

It seems it's a manager thing timing wise, as they all got back on twitter at the same time. The interacting with fans is my favourite change - I mean I'm sure they've read comments about them, but comments to them might be slightly different and it's cool for them to read that feedback and even respond.

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

So how's everyone feeling about this change now? Just to recap, since this announcement was made we've had:

More daily instagram posts and livestreams from soundchecks and various silly places and things (#shutupgreg)

More radio interviews in local towns including one radio station livestream that was the funniest thing we've heard all tour

A Facebook live fundraiser concert for Harvey that featured 30 minutes of deep tracks

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

What is that radio livestream you mention?  Is it around on GDC somewhere to listen to?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

What is that radio livestream you mention?  Is it around on GDC somewhere to listen to?

Thanks.

It's the Wrigley Field press conference, so it was called but really a radio station event. 

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It's the Wrigley Field press conference, so it was called but really a radio station event. 

Oh my hometown interview. :)  I thought I missed one in the last couple of days. 

Thanks for explaining.  

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

A gentle reminder that Pat was their manager when all three of them actually joined IG to begin with. He was their manager when Billie joined Twitter and constantly bombarded us with silly facts about songs and talked shit back in 2011. Pat was their manager when they started doing Facebook lives randomly backstage at gigs in the past year. Oh and Pat was their manager when they were one of the biggest bands in the world. I think it's lousy to think that the new management have achieved amazing things in comparison to Pat because they've posted a bit more again on social media and a hurricane happened to prompt a fundraiser. I see nothing exceptional and I'll hold my judgment on the new management until the next album.

22 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

A gentle reminder that Pat was their manager when all three of them actually joined IG to begin with. He was their manager when Billie joined Twitter and constantly bombarded us with silly facts about songs and talked shit back in 2011. Pat was their manager when they started doing Facebook lives randomly backstage at gigs in the past year. Oh and Pat was their manager when they were one of the biggest bands in the world. I think it's lousy to think that the new management have achieved amazing things in comparison to Pat because they've posted a bit more again on social media and a hurricane happened to prompt a fundraiser. I see nothing exceptional and I'll hold my judgment on the new management until the next album.

I think everyone else is just neutrally observing what's happening rather than picking a "Pat was better" or "new management is better" side. The guy worked behind the scenes and we basically never heard anything about him or what he was doing for the band so I don't think anyone's trying to target him personally by commenting about what seems to have changed since he left. 

50 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think everyone else is just neutrally observing what's happening rather than picking a "Pat was better" or "new management is better" side. The guy worked behind the scenes and we basically never heard anything about him or what he was doing for the band so I don't think anyone's trying to target him personally by commenting about what seems to have changed since he left. 

This. TY

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Yeah, although there's nothing wrong with pointing out what's changed since he left, attributing it to the new manager without any proof is just speculation, no matter how logical that speculation might seem.

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

My point is why is everyone suddenly observing every little thing they do and attributing it to the management if not to draw comparisons and it seems like a major stretch when you consider what I mentioned earlier.

6 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

My point is why is everyone suddenly observing every little thing they do and attributing it to the management if not to draw comparisons and it seems like a major stretch when you consider what I mentioned earlier.

Yeah true, I really have no idea if the changes we've seen are to do with it since I don't know exactly what the manager's responsible for (whether Pat or the new one). I mean it does seem like it might have something to do with it when they've suddenly become more active on social media right at the same time but it could also just be the band being in the mood for change/stepping things up or whatever. You're right there's not a huge amount of point in speculating about it, just saying I'm sure no one means anything against Pat when they do it though since there's really no reason to think anything against him.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Adding this here since news is thin on the ground these days (thanks @Billie Hoe )

https://m.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/sep/20/blurt-green-day-severs-local-tie/?templates=mobile

Will you look at that, the shade has begun. I find it kind of petty for people associated to pat to be making those kind of public comments when neither party has even spoke out in the first place. 

37 minutes ago, melissi_unicorn said:

That's such a stupid article. No news value whatsoever, just speculation 

Yeah sorry 😐 Like I said, not much going on right now so I’m willing to read anything. 

I wonder why Pat closed down Adeline Records after the split with GD. That's something that the insider could have shed some light on that would have been newsworthy. 

Archived