Green Day nominated for an award at the MTV Video Music Awards 2017

Yosuke Hanamura

5 minutes ago, 21guns&novacaine said:

Anyone else mildly irritated with how basic and 'trendy'  all these artists are? 

Mildly? :lol:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lizziebix said:

Sorry, but so far this show is really hard to watch.

😤 how do people watch these things with out getting :sick:

Also, noticed earlier that MTV put a black out screen on the old Palladia music channel they bought so everyone will go to the main MTV channel and watch the VMA's instead of other videos.  Making sure they get every possible viewer?  :sick:

16 minutes ago, ollhjr said:

I'm kind of getting the feeling that the best rock video award isn't going to even get aired.  I was expecting it to be the first award just to get it out of the way, and there isn't much show left.  

Honestly, I would not be surprised.

16 minutes ago, ollhjr said:

I'm kind of getting the feeling that the best rock video award isn't going to even get aired.  I was expecting it to be the first award just to get it out of the way, and there isn't much show left.  

Highly likely. Sometime around 2014 all the awards that were in any way related to anything close to alternative were handed out backstage in between commercial breaks. One more reason why I hate these award shows. They make no secret of it that these are not for rock music anymore - they might as well scrap the category entirely.

Just now, Jimmy Strummer said:

Mildly? :lol:

Trying not to offend anyone who likes those artists, y'know lol :lol: It pisses me off what's happened to music,  I wanna go back to 2004 :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

Honestly, I would not be surprised.

Yeah, apart from Best Rock (and VOTY which they always announce last), they also haven't even announced Best "Fight Against The System" (?), so it wouldn't be a surprise if they at the very least casually mentioned who won both those awards. Y'know, like, "Before we continue, we wanna congratulate the winners we didn't quite have time for tonight: ____ for winning Best Rock Video, and _____ for winning Best Fight Against The System!"

Just now, Caroline Truong said:

😤 how do people watch these things with out getting :sick:

Right? It's so cringey. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

Highly likely. Sometime around 2014 all the awards that were in any way related to anything close to alternative were handed out backstage in between commercial breaks. One more reason why I hate these award shows. They make no secret of it that these are not for rock music anymore - they might as well scrap the category entirely.

Well the token rock performance just ended.  It has gotten that way with all of the music award shows where rock has quickly disappeared from relevance.  

Just checked the updating Billboard site for winners tonight and best rock video shows it hasn't been announced yet.  Whether it will be live or not is yet to be seen, I suppose.

"MTV has also introduced an award for Best Fight Against the System, which recognizes videos that, according to a statement from MTV, “inspire viewers to stand up and fight injustice.”"

Just saw this. Can't wait for that half assed trainwreck. The winner should be Prophets of Rage but knowing MTV, it won't be.

.... or Green Day's performance from the AMAs..:dance:

3 minutes ago, ollhjr said:

Well the token rock performance just ended.  It has gotten that way with all of the music award shows where rock has quickly disappeared from relevance.  

who was performing?  I'm not watching 

3 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

"MTV has also introduced an award for Best Fight Against the System, which recognizes videos that, according to a statement from MTV, “inspire viewers to stand up and fight injustice.”"

Just saw this. Can't wait for that half assed trainwreck. The winner should be Prophets of Rage but knowing MTV, it won't be.

Nominees for "Best Fight Against The System":

- Logic (featuring Damian Lemar Hudson) – "Black Spiderman"

- The Hamilton Mixtape – "Immigrants (We Get the Job Done)"

- Big Sean — "Light"

- Alessia Cara — "Scars to Your Beautiful"

- Taboo (featuring Shailene Woodley) – "Stand Up / Stand N Rock #NoDAPL"

- John Legend — "Surefire"

Have not heard of ANY of those songs/videos, let alone had any of them make me "stand up and fight injustice."

4 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

.... or Green Day's performance from the AMAs..:dance:

who was performing?  I'm not watching 

Thirty Seconds To Mars.  Also, I would wager Big Sean or Alessia Cara who wins the award for Best Fight Against the System award.  

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Nominees for "Best Fight Against The System":

- Logic (featuring Damian Lemar Hudson) – "Black Spiderman"

- The Hamilton Mixtape – "Immigrants (We Get the Job Done)"

- Big Sean — "Light"

- Alessia Cara — "Scars to Your Beautiful"

- Taboo (featuring Shailene Woodley) – "Stand Up / Stand N Rock #NoDAPL"

- John Legend — "Surefire"

Have not heard of ANY of those songs/videos, let alone had any of them make me "stand up and fight injustice."

So MTV gave it to all of them.  No longer feels special.  Sorry, MTV.

Wait... so NOBODY won that Fight Against The System award?

Hmm.

Well, that's a first. Hopefully it's not a one-off thing and it continues, just having one award to showcase many different artists fighting for change.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Wait... so NOBODY won that Fight Against The System award?

Hmm.

Well, that's a first. Hopefully it's not a one-off thing and it continues, just having one award to showcase many different artists fighting for change.

They all won.  Every single one of them.  So I guess no one is the real winner though.

So is MTV actually giving out participation trophies now? 🙄

Okay but this is seriously not something to give someone an award for anyway - I mean come on. People are doing this to raise awareness for injustice or a problem, which I respect them for, and as soon as people start getting awards for that and start capitalizing off it, it defeats the purpose. MTV shouldn't have made that into a competition in the first place.

7 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

They all won.  Every single one of them.  So I guess no one is the real winner though.

Well I get what they were going for: they wanted to recognize the messages of each of the videos and songs nominated instead of picking one winner and saying "Well, this message was more important than the other messages" or something like that.

Also, I'm beginning to think there IS no Rock award anymore, considering that I just refreshed the Wikipedia page where I'm keeping track of the winners and nominees, and the Rock category has just completely vanished!! :mellow:

Wait, no, it's back. But there's still no indication that a winner has been picked. :mellow::mellow::mellow:

What is happening to rock music? I have a free trial of Sirius XM in my car and I'm so glad I don't pay for it. Every station is pop, even what they call alternative. Everything on AltNation sounds like pop music to me. The only rock stations are classic throwbacks to the 70's or 90's grunge. There are rock bands that exist today but not one radio station that features current rock/garage bands. Even Underground Garage plays mostly 50's/60's music with the occasional new band thrown in. It's sad. If it wasn't for Spotify, I wouldn't hear anything.

The hell is this?... 

The only award I watched for, and instead I had to watch Katy Perry give the 'dumb blonde' routine, ten different rappers I've never heard of perform crappy songs about sex and girls,  Nicki Minaj highkey slutting out, and Miley Cyrus trying to redeem herself. None of this was heart stopping or worthy of sinking three hours into. :dry:

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

What is happening to rock music? I have a free trial of Sirius XM in my car and I'm so glad I don't pay for it. Every station is pop, even what they call alternative. Everything on AltNation sounds like pop music to me. The only rock stations are classic throwbacks to the 70's or 90's grunge. There are rock bands that exist today but not one radio station that features current rock/garage bands. Even Underground Garage plays mostly 50's/60's music with the occasional new band thrown in. It's sad. If it wasn't for Spotify, I wouldn't hear anything.

How true. Lithium and the New Wave station's aren't too bad though. Oh and i did hear the Hot Tubs on Underground Garage once :P

8 minutes ago, ollhjr said:

I thought this was gonna be from this year. I got excited for NOTHING!!!!!!!! :lol:

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The only rock station I know from where I live are a bunch of sexists, so I can't support them unfortunately...

Archived