Why ain't JAR on Insomniac?

Boulevard of Brexit Dreams

1 minute ago, maseuz said:

Wow, so even closer after than I thought! also I believe it was released again in 1998 on the Good Riddance single. sorry about that mess-up on the date before

Then it was the Good Riddance single I was talking about then I knew it was on one of the Nimrod singles just couldn’t remember which one and was too lazy to look it up 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel JAR could've been a pretty good album closer - would've had a similar impact as Prosthetic Head

On 4/28/2017 at 11:20 PM, Insomniac186 said:

Hey guys, I actually came across the original trailer for Angus and this definitely doesn't sound like the final version of JAR. It sounds like the demo version to me.  Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f_aU8iTr4A

Woe, is that even Green Day?? Sounds nothing like them....but then again I also heard "Yanny".

9 hours ago, ryan1039 said:

Woe, is that even Green Day?? Sounds nothing like them....but then again I also heard "Yanny".

Yes, it’s just one of the demo versions

Wow...this has been an interesting thread! BTW, where did those lists of Insomniac songs come from?

Also, interesting little Weezer trivia: Rivers Cuomo originally wrote a song called Wanda (You're My Only Love) for a dance scene in Angus. The lyrics summarize the movie's plot and the producers thought it would be weird to have the characters in the film dance to a song about them. Also, the producers felt that the song didn’t sound enough like “Weezer” leading Rivers to write You Gave Your Love to Me Softly

7 hours ago, maseuz said:

Yes, it’s just one of the demo versions

If you slow down JAR from the first Dookie demo, it matches almost perfectly. The only difference I can tell is our circulating copy of the first demo has had some tape hiss removal editing done, which also took out the cymbals that you can hear in the trailer.

I don't have any new information, but I have always found that the mixing of J.A.R was never finished properly. That hihat is over the place! Don't start talking about that snare, please :lol:

My initial thought is reinforced in how little time they had in 1994. And the sound people they used to work were also quite busy around that time. Is sad that the same happened with the re-record of 409 IYC. I blame bad management choices here.

PS: About the "Gett" song and Suffocate, probably it has some Insomniac demo layin' there. Suffocate is played on Eb, even if production wise sounds Nimrod-ish.

I was skeptical about it being Suffocate, but that's a great point about it being in Eb. Very possible

I'v really enjoyed reading through this thread. I've always enjoyed JAR as a stand alone single that was a good bridge between Dookie and Insomniac. To me Dookie was an album about not really giving a damn about the world, almost apathetic. Insomniac was a much angrier energy fueled album about being pissed off at the same world. JAR was a transition point to have something shake you out of the apathy you were in and start to question the world and be angry about the answers you find. Hence the last line of JAR "Gotta make a plan/Gotta do whats right/Can't run around in circles/If you wanna build a life." Insomniac was the fight back against the world. 

Anywho... just my 2 cents...

Archived