What if Green Day had quit?

madafaka

Just now, WhiteTim said:

I'm ready for GD to end so Billie can focus on doing more Foreverly style projects

:shok:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy fuck!  See what I miss when I'm in class?

Billie is never going to die.  Nope.  Can't happen.

I actually used to date a guy who was totally convinced he would never die.  Wierd.

3 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

:shok:

I'm only half joking 

Nobody panic. We've already established that just like the law of gravity, the law of Jagger means that Billie can't die until he's at least in his mid 70's and fathers a child with a 29 year old. :lol:

4 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

I'm ready for GD to end so Billie can focus on doing more Foreverly style projects

Or you could just listen to the Everly Brothers.

4 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

Nobody panic. We've already established that just like the law of gravity, the law of Jagger means that Billie can't die until he's at least in his mid 70's and fathers a child with a 29 year old. :lol:

Not saying he gotta do more Everly songs just stuff like that 

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Not saying he gotta do more Everly songs just stuff like that 

He really doesn't have to. I love 50's and 60's music and I don't need him to try to cover some of the greatest artists of the era when I'd rather just listen to them. Why in hell would he become a covers artist? I tolerated Foreverly but if he mutilated The Beatles, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkle or The Hollies etc that would be a step too far and also a complete waste of his own songwriting skills. If he quit Green Day to cover other artists music I'd be convinced his brain was fried from the years of drug abuse and he couldn't form a sentence.

15 minutes ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

He really doesn't have to. I love 50's and 60's music and I don't need him to try to cover some of the greatest artists of the era when I'd rather just listen to them. Why in hell would he become a covers artist? I tolerated Foreverly but if he mutilated The Beatles, Elvis, Simon & Garfunkle or The Hollies etc that would be a step too far and also a complete waste of his own songwriting skills. If he quit Green Day to cover other artists music I'd be convinced his brain was fried from the years of drug abuse and he couldn't form a sentence.

Didn't say it had to be covers as well he could easily write originals in the style of old school country I think that style really suited him 

Oh my God, just reading this thread is priceless. We've gone from career in retrospect after each album (a somewhat interesting and thought provoking exercise) to post-mortem death future assuming any one of them has met an untimely demise. Classic thread like only GDC can produce!

My own take is that Billie is too busy in his own head to ever completely "leave the scene" regarding the outcome of Green Day anytime in the past or future. He has this composer brilliance to him and would continue to produce great music and seek out a way to perform as well. As long as he's around he will definitely continue challenging himself and his fans with new music.

Mike is interesting- he is so close and tight with Billie I would think that he would always have been and always will be close to whatever experimentation/ project Billie is engaged in. However, he is also very clearly engaged in his own life and family and can and will break away to do his own thing- he didn't need to be a part of PHGP or Foreverly, for example, but he clearly has a great passion for music and has continued to learn and seek to improve his musicianship through the years as well.

Tre- well, who knows. This band isn't going away so we don't have to worry, but if they had broken up years ago I could see him drumming in another band or on another project, no question. Or I could see him touring the country with a finger puppet troupe. The guy has never been easy to read and you've got to love him for it. One thing's for sure- Tre will just Tre, any additional speculation is just a guessing game.

I think GD really pulled it out the bag with AI

i remember asking a friend if he knew any GD songs and he said 'only the popular ones' and proceeded to name the 5 singles from AI (not that he knew that they were the 5 singles from AI!)

i don't think many teenagers know about Dookie TBH, aside from GD fans

If they'd quit before making AI, they'd still be remembered as an influential 90s band. But they'd be piled in with a lot of other 90s bands. I'm sure Billie would continue with his own music, because I just can't separate him from music. Tre and Mike I'm sure would still keep up with performing in their own way, but perhaps not as a continued career. Mostly the thought just breaks my heart becuase I'm not sure I'd have ever discovered them if they quit before AI. The thought is completely mind-boggling. 

As for the actual future, I think their main focus will always be Green Day, and side projects don't take away from that—they actually allow the guys to be more inspired. If I just worked my day job and didn't have any other outlet for creativity or fun, I'd get burnt out pretty quickly. I bet they feel the same. You can love what you do and still need breaks from it. And you can love your friends and still need breaks from them too, lol. I look at side projects as being very healthy, and I hope they continue to branch out in their downtime. I think these days they feel they have a lot less to prove, and it shows in the best way. Honestly, I do hope they just continue releasing music they love, rather than trying to be hugely ambitious. 

EDIT: Guys, stop talking about death. :lol: I've already acknowledged somewhere in the recesses of my mind that they're 20 years older than me and will go before me, which will absolutely destroy me...but I'm not going to worry about that for another 30-40 years, and we have lots to do in the meantime. :happy:

2 hours ago, stories and songs said:

If they'd quit before making AI, they'd still be remembered as an influential 90s band. But they'd be piled in with a lot of other 90s bands. I'm sure Billie would continue with his own music, because I just can't separate him from music. Tre and Mike I'm sure would still keep up with performing in their own way, but perhaps not as a continued career. Mostly the thought just breaks my heart becuase I'm not sure I'd have ever discovered them if they quit before AI. The thought is completely mind-boggling. 

As for the actual future, I think their main focus will always be Green Day, and side projects don't take away from that—they actually allow the guys to be more inspired. If I just worked my day job and didn't have any other outlet for creativity or fun, I'd get burnt out pretty quickly. I bet they feel the same. You can love what you do and still need breaks from it. And you can love your friends and still need breaks from them too, lol. I look at side projects as being very healthy, and I hope they continue to branch out in their downtime. I think these days they feel they have a lot less to prove, and it shows in the best way. Honestly, I do hope they just continue releasing music they love, rather than trying to be hugely ambitious. 

EDIT: Guys, stop talking about death. :lol: I've already acknowledged somewhere in the recesses of my mind that they're 20 years older than me and will go before me, which will absolutely destroy me...but I'm not going to worry about that for another 30-40 years, and we have lots to do in the meantime. :happy:

Billie don't you go
I want you around
Singin' woah, please don't go
Do you wanna be a friend of mine?

😨

Edit: Amy is such a sad song

16 minutes ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

Billie don't you go
I want you around

😨

Indeed a sad song, but a beautiful one.

26 minutes ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

Billie don't you go
I want you around

😨

Are we making a playlist for funeral now? 

7 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Are we making a playlist for funeral now? 

Who's funeral?

So far we've got wake me up when September ends, Haha you're Dead and Amy

maybe add Platypus to really mess with the mourners 

3 hours ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

Who's funeral?

So far we've got wake me up when September ends, Haha you're Dead and Amy

maybe add Platypus to really mess with the mourners 

I wanted to type "for his funeral" but I messed up :P

18 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I read something on the internet once that claimed the average life span of a rock star is 52 years. If so, Billie only has 7 years left. :sorry:

17 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Oh my God, just reading this thread is priceless. We've gone from career in retrospect after each album (a somewhat interesting and thought provoking exercise) to post-mortem death future assuming any one of them has met an untimely demise. Classic thread like only GDC can produce!

My own take is that Billie is too busy in his own head to ever completely "leave the scene" regarding the outcome of Green Day anytime in the past or future. He has this composer brilliance to him and would continue to produce great music and seek out a way to perform as well. As long as he's around he will definitely continue challenging himself and his fans with new music.

Mike is interesting- he is so close and tight with Billie I would think that he would always have been and always will be close to whatever experimentation/ project Billie is engaged in. However, he is also very clearly engaged in his own life and family and can and will break away to do his own thing- he didn't need to be a part of PHGP or Foreverly, for example, but he clearly has a great passion for music and has continued to learn and seek to improve his musicianship through the years as well.

Tre- well, who knows. This band isn't going away so we don't have to worry, but if they had broken up years ago I could see him drumming in another band or on another project, no question. Or I could see him touring the country with a finger puppet troupe. The guy has never been easy to read and you've got to love him for it. One thing's for sure- Tre will just Tre, any additional speculation is just a guessing game.

Sometimes I feel like Mike and Billie have the same mind. They always seem to have similar ideas and similar opinions. Also, when I first heard J.A.R and Ha Ha You're Dead, I really thought they were Billie's lyrics, not Mike's.

4 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I read something on the internet once that claimed the average life span of a rock star is 52 years. If so, Billie only has 7 years left. :sorry:

You are so morbid hahahahahaha 

6 hours ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

I think GD really pulled it out the bag with AI

i remember asking a friend if he knew any GD songs and he said 'only the popular ones' and proceeded to name the 5 singles from AI (not that he knew that they were the 5 singles from AI!)

i don't think many teenagers know about Dookie TBH, aside from GD fans

I have a friend who is 15 and she said the only Green Day songs she knew were Boulevard of Broken Dreams, American Idiot and Holiday, but then I played her some songs from Dookie and she recognised them.

3 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

You are so morbid hahahahahaha 

Sorry, I'm just mildly paranoid. (Or stoned?) :D

3 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I have a friend who is 15 and she said the only Green Day songs she knew were Boulevard of Broken Dreams, American Idiot and Holiday, but then I played her some songs from Dookie and she recognised them.

Sorry, I'm just mildly paranoid. (Or stoned?) :D

Most of my friends either know AI, 21CB, Dookie and Trilogy (group knew the most famous stuff and listened to the knew) or only know the AI and 21CB singles (group only know the biggest hits). Yes, this is how I classify people. 

While we are asking questions that are irrelevant;

What if Green Day had released another album that sold 20million copies?

What if Billie released a solo album and it was more successful than Green Days recent albums?

What if dookie/American idiot were the worst selling Green Day albums?

1 minute ago, Alan86 said:

While we are asking questions that are irrelevant;

What if Green Day had released another album that sold 20million copies?

What if Billie released a solo album?

What if dookie/American idiot were the worst selling Green Day albums?

More importantly what if BJ dyed his hair blonde again.

2 minutes ago, Tinkle said:

More importantly what if BJ dyed his hair blonde again.

Again? He's done that before, why doesn't he do something original like shave his head?

5 hours ago, Boulevard of Brexit Dreams said:

Billie don't you go
I want you around

😨

:lol:

personally I don't really like that song for my funeral or in general 

maybe Let''s Yourself Gooo!:dance:

ok..why are we still talking this!