Green Day Instagram Photos

BeachBum

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Well if you're talking about my comment, I started it all. But it was clearly a joke.

To be fair. It wasn't clear that it was a joke and it shouldn't have been said at all. You did recognize that you did wrong, but remember, tone does not translate when it's in text form.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Squashie said:

To be fair. It wasn't clear that it was a joke and it shouldn't have been said at all. You did recognize that you did wrong, but remember, tone does not translate when it's in text form.

Yeah because I'm so serious on GDC. After all this time I think you all know me and my posts.

C'mon how serious do you think someone can say that BJ is a racist because he put on stage more white people in his career than black people?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Well if you're talking about my comment, I started it all. But it was clearly a joke.

Yes, I am partially talking about your statement. I accept that you were trying to make a joke, but it was in pretty poor taste. Anyway, I am past that. What I am mostly talking about now is @Beerjeezus complaining about Billie collaborating with racists but now saying this is not about what Billie does or doesn't do and just wants the attention to be on volunteers, so now I am hella confused LOL. I've only been back here a day and it is already proving very challenging to have civil conversations in chat rooms. I don't have this drama in any other part of my life but then I come here and all hell breaks loose without fail.

2 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Yes, I am partially talking about your statement. I accept that you were trying to make a joke, but it was in pretty poor taste.

Well, now you know me. Don't ever take my post seriously.
Even this one.

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Well, now you know me. Don't ever take my post seriously.
Even this one.

No, I don't know you, but I guess I will get to if I can manage to tolerate this place for more than a week this time.

23 minutes ago, Squashie said:

Pot calling the kettle black with your condescending replies.

16 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Yes, I am partially talking about your statement. I accept that you were trying to make a joke, but it was in pretty poor taste. Anyway, I am past that. What I am mostly talking about now is @Beerjeezus complaining about Billie collaborating with racists but now saying this is not about what Billie does or doesn't do and just wants the attention to be on volunteers, so now I am hella confused LOL. I've only been back here a day and it is already proving very challenging to have civil conversations in chat rooms. I don't have this drama in any other part of my life but then I come here and all hell breaks loose without fail.

I was just telling you to tone down the Billie jerk in a polite way

6 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I was just telling you to tone down the Billie jerk in a polite way

I don't think I am following. I wasn't ever trying to tone up Billie LOL. I was trying to call out people who were calling him a racist and others who were making offensive comments about the types of music black people like. None of us have any right to speak on behalf of black people, and no one should be stereotyping anyone.

2 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

I don't think I am following. I wasn't ever trying to tone up Billie LOL. I was trying to call out people who were calling him a racist and others who were making offensive comments about the types of music black people like. None of us have any right to speak on behalf of black people, and no one should be stereotyping anyone.

You were calling him the least racist person in the world or something... What I’m saying is I get that most of us on here are more or less up his ass, but this isn’t a good opportunity for it

6 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

You were calling him the least racist person in the world or something... What I’m saying is I get that most of us on here are more or less up his ass, but this isn’t a good opportunity for it

I didn't say in the world, but what I was trying to say is that he is not a racist. If you think he is, or think he works with people who are, then you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't know what you are doing here on a Green Day fan site. I would not be a fan of anyone or anything I thought was racist. I am not "up anyone's ass"; I am stating the truth of what I have seen. I am entitled to my opinion too, and if you don't like it, then as I said in my post when I came back here yesterday, please just block me and move on with your life. You've already called me a jerk. I don't talk to you like that; I agree with most of what you said, and where I disagree, I am not attacking you. I will not go through a third round of people personally attacking me because they can't cope with the fact that different people have different opinions. So can we please end this now?

Edited by Guest

Just now, BillieMyLove said:

I didn't say in the world, but what I was trying to say is that he is not a racist. If you think he is, or think he works with people who are, then you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't know what you are doing here on a Green Day fan site. I would not be a fan of anyone or anything I thought was racist. I am not "up anyone's ass"; I am stating the truth of what I have seen. I am entitled to my opinion too, and if you don't like it, then as a I said in my post when I cam back here yesterday, please just block me and move on with your life. You've already called me a jerk. I don't talk to you like that; I agree with most of what you said, and where I disagree, I am not attacking you. I will not go through a third round of people personally attacking me because they can't cope with the fact that different people have different opinions. So can we please end this now?

So what you’re saying is, the only way to be a fan is to be oblivious to any flaws? He has worked with racist people. I’m not cancelling him for it, but he definitely shouldn’t be seen as a pinnacle of anti-racism. Btw, I didn’t call you a jerk, I said to not do a Billie jerk. As in circle jerk but one sided.

41 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

So what you’re saying is, the only way to be a fan is to be oblivious to any flaws? He has worked with racist people. I’m not cancelling him for it, but he definitely shouldn’t be seen as a pinnacle of anti-racism. Btw, I didn’t call you a jerk, I said to not do a Billie jerk. As in circle jerk but one sided.

No, I am not saying that the only way to be a fan is to be oblivious to flaws. No one is perfect and that includes Billie. I was not aware of some of the things people he has worked with have said. I don't know if he was either. Someone should ask him about it. But I am saying that if I thought someone was fundamentally a racist, I would not support them or be a fan.

I also do not support cancel culture because I see it as a way for white people to assuage their own guilt by pointing fingers at other people who make offensive statements, thus making themselves feel better by being able to tell themselves, "Well, at least I am not as much of a bigot as that person." It might get the person who made the offensive comment removed from the public eye so the rest of us can be more comfortable with ourselves and feel like we accomplished something, but it does nothing to solve the systemic problems that underlie the behavior,  and it just creates more division (and to be clear, I am talking about cancelling people for making insensitive comments, not talking about people who have committed crimes like Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein, since that is another level). The answer is to educate people about the consequences of their actions, hold them accountable, and also give them opportunities to grow and make amends. I would have loved if a Holocaust survivor had reached out to Kat Von D. I would have loved to seen her dragged off to the Holocaust Museum or Auschwitz. I would have loved for her to have been forced to confront the evil reality of her words and swastika imagery, so that she would have to experience the discomfort and pain that her actions caused others and would know that this is not just some snarky Internet joke. And I bet then she would have a very different attitude and would never do anything like that again. That's the kind of "calling in" that we need, not cancelling. It's called restorative justice, and our world needs more of it badly. (And I admit that I am not Jewish so my opinion carries limited weight, though I did almost marry a Jewish man and he remains a good friend, so I have some skin in the game.)

Lastly, I find it really ironic that you used a vulgar sexual term to describe my behavior, when if I remember correctly, you were one of the people attacking me for saying suggestive things and making vulgar sexual accusations against me five months ago. So let me end with this (not talking to you, but to the whole group now): if you are more offended by an adult's private and consensual sexual desires than you are by people making jokes here about racism at a time when a black man has just been murdered by police and our nation is now literally on fire over it, please take a look in the mirror and check your privilege. Thanks.

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

No, I am not saying that the only way to be a fan is to be oblivious to flaws. No one is perfect and that includes Billie. I was not aware of some of the things people he has worked with have said. I don't know if he was either. Someone should ask him about it. But I am saying that if I thought someone was fundamentally a racist, I would not support them or be a fan.

I also do not support cancel culture because I see it as a way for white people to assuage their own guilt by pointing fingers at other people who make offensive statements, thus making themselves feel better by being able to tell themselves, "Well, at least I am not as much of a bigot as that person." It might get the person who made the offensive comment removed from the public eye so the rest of us can be more comfortable with ourselves and feel like we accomplished something, but it does nothing to solve the systemic problems that underlie the behavior,  and it just creates more division (and to be clear, I am talking about cancelling people for making insensitive comments, not talking about people who have committed crimes like Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein, since that is another level). The answer is to educate people about the consequences of their actions, hold them accountable, and also give them opportunities to grow and make amends. I would have loved if a Holocaust survivor had reached out to Kat Von D. I would have loved to seen her dragged off to the Holocaust Museum or Auschwitz. I would have loved for her to have been forced to confront the evil reality of her words and swastika imagery, so that she would have to experience the discomfort and pain that her actions caused others and would know that this is not just some snarky Internet joke. And I bet then she would have a very different attitude and would never do anything like that again. That's the kind of "calling in" that we need, not cancelling. It's called restorative justice, and our world needs more of it badly. (And I admit that I am not Jewish so my opinion carries limited weight, though I did almost marry a Jewish man and he remains a good friend, so I have some skin in the game.)

Lastly, I find it really ironic that you used a vulgar sexual term to describe my behavior, when if I remember correctly, you were one of the people attacking me for saying suggestive things and making vulgar sexual accusations against me five months ago. So let me end with this (not talking to you, but to the whole group now): if you are more offended by an adult's private and consensual sexual desires than you are by people making jokes here about racism at a time when a black man has just been murdered by police and our nation is now literally on fire over it, please take a look in the mirror and check your privilege. Thanks.

Can I get a TLDR version please?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BillieMyLove said:

That's not what @Beerjeezus was implying.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I hate when every post is a book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squashie said:

That's not what @Beerjeezus was implying.

Yes, I am well aware that that is not what @Beerjeezus was implying, and I am not implying that that is what they were implying LOL. I think we are all largely on the same side here. I was simply trying to make a point about something I found ironic, and also point out that the jokes about racism that started this whole conversation probably should have been taken more seriously than the usual nonsense we all argue about here. Priorities.

5 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

point out that the jokes about racism that started this whole conversation probably should have been taken more seriously than the usual nonsense we all argue about here. Priorities.

yes please mods, give me a warning for my obvious joke.

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't speak text super well so I don't know what you mean, but my point should be obvious by now. So let me synopsize. I don't think we should be criticizing Billie for trying to help in this situation just because he may not be perfect. None of us is perfect. We all have unconscious biases--you, me, everyone here--whether we want to admit it or not. We all have probably said or done something that was insensitive to someone, even unintentionally. We are all likely connected to people--in our families, at work, in our communities--that hold unsavory views. In short, we are all guilty to some degree. So, should we all cancel ourselves and each other? No. We should all work every day to be better people. We should all be speaking out right now and doing whatever we can, big or small (heck, we all should have been doing that for a long time and shouldn't have needed this tragedy to get us off our asses). So I applaud anyone and everyone who is speaking out. Praising one person does not mean devaluing all the others who are helping, nor does it mean that person is perfect. There is room for all these truths to coexist. Now, can we all shut our white pie holes and do what we should be doing, which is listening to what our suffering black brothers and sisters have been trying to tell us for about 400 years? 

P.S. I Googled and now know that means "too long; didn't read." Sorry for making it so long, but I wanted to get all that out. Hope maybe you can read it when you have nothing better to do.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Squashie said:

Thank you so much for sharing this. Not just because Green Day shared it, but because regardless of where it came from, we all need to internalize this right now and keep it with us going forward.