Will 2017/2018 be the time for Green Day to release a new DVD Live Album?

Stefano Bras

21 hours ago, madafaka said:

We had the same discussion back in 2013.

People who got into the band around American Idiot tend to have this skewed belief that every tour must culminate in a live album/dvd. This is because for the first two eras they experienced, this was the case. But what they also forget is that they didn't release any for their previous albums (at least not officially).

The way I see it, Bullet In a Bible was a product of the massive success of the American Idiot tour. There was a demand for that particular tour to be documented, and BIAB was also a huge success on its own. I remember a lot of my classmates owning it even though they weren't fans per se.

The way BIAB was a product of AI's success, Awesome as Fuck was a product of both BIAS's and 21CB's success. A live album had been a huge hit with AI, and as we know, 21CB was an effort to copy the AI formula in many ways, so they did something similar. It was not that succesful outside of the fanbase. Not a flop, but a flop by BIAB standards.

My point here is that I see Bullet in a Bible and Awesome as Fuck as standalone cases. They were products of that specific "rock opera" era.

People tend to think that live albums are some sort of "tradition" that Green Day has, but this is not true. Especially since they didn't release anything for Uno, Dos & Tre. Had they released one in 2013, I'll admit a trend was forming, but they didn't.

On a slightly different note, is the RevRad tour really worth documenting for anyone but hardcore fans? In many ways the shows are just a less epic version of the AI tour, with a handful of new songs. It needs to sell in order for it to make sense to even produce it in the first place, and I highly doubt that there is a market for a Green Day live album right now.

This is all spot on. I highly highly doubt there will be any DVD or full length live album. We'd be listening to basically the same songs as on BIAB and AAF. What's the point?

They should just do a small EP in the vein of like Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking, Foot In Mouth, Tune In Tokyo, or Last Night On Earth... just a simple and short 6 song EP of all new songs live (Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Still Breathing, Youngblood, Forever Now, Ordinary World), do a small run of 7"s and do everything else digitally, that'd be easy and they'd definitely make their money back. Maybe even if they just did it as a Record Store day type thing next year. I'd buy that in a heart beat.

On 1/9/2017 at 0:44 AM, Jarred.cook7655 said:

they need to release the rock n roll hall of fame induction concert from the house of blues. such an amazing setlist and it's the perfect reason for a live album. being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame? come on. so many great songs that were so very rarely played live. I would love to have a high quality audio file for knowledge with tim armsrong and stuart and the ave. hell, the whole sweet children setlist and all would be so damn amazing.

I would pay a shit load of money for this.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it is really stupid that such an event was not all released on DVD. All fans would buy. Same with the entire Dookie setlist and show around it, just silly it isn't being released.

The shows they did a Dookie were festivals weren't they? Probably reason why money issues labels have to have permission and rights to use video from festivals

like take for example Nirvana's Live At Reading it took Geffen years to settle between Reading and the film company that filmed it to get rights to release Reading 92 

14 hours ago, straighttohell said:

This is all spot on. I highly highly doubt there will be any DVD or full length live album. We'd be listening to basically the same songs as on BIAB and AAF. What's the point?

They should just do a small EP in the vein of like Bowling Bowling Bowling Parking Parking, Foot In Mouth, Tune In Tokyo, or Last Night On Earth... just a simple and short 6 song EP of all new songs live (Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Still Breathing, Youngblood, Forever Now, Ordinary World), do a small run of 7"s and do everything else digitally, that'd be easy and they'd definitely make their money back. Maybe even if they just did it as a Record Store day type thing next year. I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Now this is an idea I can get behind. It seems that Green Day does make a tradition of supporting Record Store Day.

Such a release would fall under charitable work, which justifies it making less of a profit for the record label.

Now it's just the issue of someone involved will the band, having to come up with the idea on their own or stumbling across this thread!

4 hours ago, crock6000 said:

How the fuck was this song almost cut from TCB and why is it NEVER played?  It would be fucking ace live.

I know, it's my fav song from 21stCB and, as far as I know, it's only been played live four times. This is the only recording I can find of it:

20 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I know, it's my fav song from 21stCB and, as far as I know, it's only been played live four times. This is the only recording I can find of it:

Cool, thanks for this, it just reminded me of how much I love Horseshoes and Handgrenades and angry Green Day in general. I just love it when they're angry, especially live. I think that's also one of the most awesome things about them as a live band, that they take you on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. One minute you're laughing like crazy because Tré does something stupid, the next minute you're crying and then suddenly you get angry and wanna throw over the government. It's just amazing. I'm also not the biggest fan of too much screaming, but I love it the way Billie does it live, like the last "I ain't gonna stand in line no more" in Forever Now. So, to get back on topic.... yeah, I definitely need a live DVD from this tour :D

21 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Do you think Gloria is that Latin chick he wrote Good Riddance about? Hmmmmm

I thought Good Riddance was written about Amanda...

8 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

Who is Amanda? ;)

I believe Amanda was Billie's girlfriend that he met at Gilman. They got together in late 1991/early 1992 and she broke up with him in late 1993/early 1994. She left him and moved to Ecuador. He has written quite a few songs about her, such as She, Good Riddance, Stuart and the Ave, Sassafras Roots, Amanda, She's a Rebel, Extraordinary Girl and Whatsername.

22 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

So is Redundant and Stray Heart about Addie then?  JK.  I know he writes plenty of love songs to her 20k light years. Boy Billie does have commitment issues.   If you think about it, he's never been alone for a minute once he became Billie Joe and he will never leave Addie and they are in love.  The benefit of losing a father early and those feeling of being alone is that you most likely become a lover.  Someone that holds on.  Some would call it "abandonment issues" but I prefer the term LOYALTY!

Random not to my British friends around here. I'll be in Kent for the Gorillaz Festival, I think it was June 18th if memory serves. CAN'T WAIT. I'll also be catching them here Oct 5th.  Both shows sold out in an hour which is pretty amazing for the LA show. I saw them in 2010 at The Gibson in LA, but the Kent show is a LOT of fucking people and secondary markets are selling them at RIDICULOUS prices.  Like 4x as much.

@JoeFrusciante, you gonna be in Kent for that one?  Noel will be there and so will Coxon. It will be a show for the ages.  That is if the non-industry fans will pony up the money that the fucking secondary markets bought.  It's gonna be a lot of people spending a lot of money going to that show and it sucks that StubHub and friends will be the beneficiaries.

I am blown away by how fast it sold out. It is official now.  Gorillaz will be Albern's Rock n Roll HOF band, they are who he cares the most about.  Every artist on Humanz will be at the festival.  CANNOT FUCKING WAIT!  If you're there, let me know.

Probably not since it's sold out, as well as moral objections I cba to deal with the ball ache in getting tickets 

It's hard to say. I'm leaning more towards no, meaning it's too soon. They are touring now, but if it happens, 2018. As far as what venue/country they'd release, again, hard to say. Maybe they'd do something like Awesome As Fuck and release different songs from different places. 

On 2017. 01. 09. at 6:13 AM, Andres said:

I'd be absolutely happy with another Bullet In A Bible. A large show with some high-end production. BIAB was amazing. They sounded amazing, they looked amazing. They had fucking helicopters! I don't think it's time for another AAF. The show hasn't changed enough to just release footage like that again. 

Only if Sam Bayer reunites the band. Since they don't work together the band hasn't released a cool music video... Sam Bayer, please, please come back!

4 hours ago, htlecso said:

Only if Sam Bayer reunites the band. Since they don't work together the band hasn't released a cool music video... Sam Bayer, please, please come back!

god no 

and if they do, for the love of god make the production good. No black and white filters, and no pitch correction

On 4/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, htlecso said:

Sam Bayer was awesome during AI. All the music videos and BIAB are AWESOME. Well, maybe WMUWSE was too much. But anyway, Sam just wasn't the same anymore when he did trilogy videos. Oh love was just... well, a piece of shit. 
I honestly think Green Day should experiment more with music videos. Look at Coldplays's up&up or recent  kendrick lamar's humble. It doesn't matter what you think about their music, but the videos are great. they are not just standard "here's a band playing and here's an attempt to make some kind of a story".  Even the new lyrics videos have more views than the actual music videos. Because they are good and you want to watch them again to see new details, and there are some great ideas. Green Day still have great music, they just need great music videos to make people talk about it. Even AI level videos won't cut it today, they need something fresh, something with imagination. Maybe 21st century breakdown video was closest to what I mean. Anyway, hope you see what I mean.

Btw, sorry for offtop. I just saw Sam's name come up and immediately thought of music videos...

On 2017. 04. 23. at 1:33 PM, kripack said:

Sam Bayer was awesome during AI. All the music videos and BIAB are AWESOME. Well, maybe WMUWSE was too much. But anyway, Sam just wasn't the same anymore when he did trilogy videos. Oh love was just... well, a piece of shit. 
I honestly think Green Day should experiment more with music videos. Look at Coldplays's up&up or recent  kendrick lamar's humble. It doesn't matter what you think about their music, but the videos are great. they are not just standard "here's a band playing and here's an attempt to make some kind of a story".  Even the new lyrics videos have more views than the actual music videos. Because they are good and you want to watch them again to see new details, and there are some great ideas. Green Day still have great music, they just need great music videos to make people talk about it. Even AI level videos won't cut it today, they need something fresh, something with imagination. Maybe 21st century breakdown video was closest to what I mean. Anyway, hope you see what I mean.

Btw, sorry for offtop. I just saw Sam's name come up and immediately thought of music videos...

Mostly agree. Have a look on Green Day's official channel. In the top 20 most viewed videos you cannot find a single one off the new album..  Brain Stew's music video has still more views than Still Breathing's lyric video. . And the lyric videos has much more views than the latest music video for SB even though they has been online for the same time..

On 18.4.2017 at 1:12 AM, madafaka said:

We had the same discussion back in 2013.

People who got into the band around American Idiot tend to have this skewed belief that every tour must culminate in a live album/dvd. This is because for the first two eras they experienced, this was the case. But what they also forget is that they didn't release any for their previous albums (at least not officially).

The way I see it, Bullet In a Bible was a product of the massive success of the American Idiot tour. There was a demand for that particular tour to be documented, and BIAB was also a huge success on its own. I remember a lot of my classmates owning it even though they weren't fans per se.

The way BIAB was a product of AI's success, Awesome as Fuck was a product of both BIAS's and 21CB's success. A live album had been a huge hit with AI, and as we know, 21CB was an effort to copy the AI formula in many ways, so they did something similar. It was not that succesful outside of the fanbase. Not a flop, but a flop by BIAB standards.

My point here is that I see Bullet in a Bible and Awesome as Fuck as standalone cases. They were products of that specific "rock opera" era.

People tend to think that live albums are some sort of "tradition" that Green Day has, but this is not true. Especially since they didn't release anything for Uno, Dos & Tre. Had they released one in 2013, I'll admit a trend was forming, but they didn't.

On a slightly different note, is the RevRad tour really worth documenting for anyone but hardcore fans? In many ways the shows are just a less epic version of the AI tour, with a handful of new songs. It needs to sell in order for it to make sense to even produce it in the first place, and I highly doubt that there is a market for a Green Day live album right now.

''Less epic version of the American Idiot tour'' ???. Then ask BJA why he says the RevRad tour is the best tour ever in Green Day's career? 

No, as much as I'd like to see pro-shot footage and a live album / DVD, I'm with @madafaka on this one. The American Idiot and 21st. Century Breakdown tours were arguably more ''epic'' and more appealing to the general mainstream consumer market, the RevRad tour isn't as much. However, I do think a live DVD would sell, the consumerbase would mostly consist of Green Day fans, but I think it would be financially viable. I also think they should record one or a few songs live and use it as promotion, as I think that would be more effectiv than the TV promotional performances (just look at the number of views Green Day live at Festivals, or MTV world stage 2009 gets on YouTube).

I think they should do a compilation video of the best parts of Green Day's festivals, like when they had the mud fight or when Billie Joe freaked out. Those were awesome! Does anyone know where I can find videos of those?

9 minutes ago, Jaded Idiot said:

I think they should do a compilation video of the best parts of Green Day's festivals, like when they had the mud fight or when Billie Joe freaked out. Those were awesome! Does anyone know where I can find videos of those?

All over youtube... hahaha

On 2017-4-29 at 2:03 PM, Jaded Idiot said:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so the festival leg in Europe is a time where usually you can expect a few pro-shot performances to surface, so I've decided to make a list of where (if at all) these pro-shot performances would be shown:

June 04: Pink Pop - Coverage: Either a live stream broadcast on dutch TV channel NPO Cultura 3voor12 (unlikely, as Warner didn't give permission the last two times) or a few recorded songs broadcast later as ''highlights'' by the same channel.

June 09: Greenfield - No Coverage to be expected

June 11: Download Festival Paris - Coverage: Possibly a live stream broadcast by french TV-Channel Arte

June 14: Lucca Summer Time - No Coverage to be expected

June 15: I-Days Festival - No Coverage to be expected

June 17: Nova Rock - No Coverage to be expected

June 23: Hurricane Festival - Coverage: Possibly a live stream broadcast on the festivals official website, or the following TV channels: Arte, 3sat or ZDF Kultur  

June 24: Southside Festival - Coverage: Possibly a live stream broadcast by the website ''DasDing'' (SWR) or the following TV channels: Einsplus, 3sat

July 1st: Hyde Park - Coverage: No coverage to be expected (except possibly highlights)

July 7: Mad Cool - Coverage: Possibly one or two songs posted on the festival's official YouTube channel

If you have any suggestions, additions or corrections, go ahead.

Once pro-shot footage surfaces, you can provide links to streams or recordings here.

On 5/24/2017 at 3:13 AM, MilleniumFan said:

Nice pro-shot footage here:

It looks like the concert footage is from Worcester, Massachusetts and Green Bay, Wisconsin. He says Green Bay during the breakdown on Bang Bang, and I see the green flower he wore on St. Patricks day on the ending of Bang Bang and briefly in Know Your Enemy.

Wow, good observational skills! I carelessly jumped to the conclusion that it was all from Green Bay (because of him saying it). I wonder if the audio was swapped as much as the video footage (personally, I doubt it. Green Day play so consistently that you can easily swap the audio and video from different shows, I've done it myself a few times when doing multi-cam edits).

Archived