Random Green Day News

Hermione

16 years...holy crap. I still remember getting American Idiot and having my mind blown. I actually picked up AI and Maroon 5's Songs About Jane the same day. And yet now I hate Maroon 5 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2020 at 12:19 AM, The Grohl said:

Omg I wish Green Day was on Sesame Street! I can picture Tre trying to set fire to Elmo now.

I never realized how badly I need Green Day on Sesame Street in my life until this moment. 🤣

12 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

16 years...holy crap. I still remember getting American Idiot and having my mind blown. I actually picked up AI and Maroon 5's Songs About Jane the same day. And yet now I hate Maroon 5 😅

YESSS!!!! I was 13 and it changed my life. That was the moment I discovered Green day.

55 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

YESSS!!!! I was 13 and it changed my life. That was the moment I discovered Green day.

Same! I knew who they were, but I really wasn't into them. It wasn't until high school where I started shedding my teeny bopper skin and turning into more of a rocker/punk/goth amalgamation. And since AI was huge that year, it was an album you couldn't escape. My friend convinced me to check it out and I haven't gone back since. 

• Like 2

That's something I regret most. Not getting into Green Day earlier. I would have loved to experience the AI era with the full love and appreciation I have for them now.

• Like 3

40 Years Of Bad Religion: Vocalist Greg Graffin On Science Deniers, Garage Days And Band’s Inner Strife

- The book discusses how Green Day and other bands that had opened for you and were influenced by you were blowing up and far surpassing the commercial success of Bad Religion. Looking back at the 90s, was that a frustrating reality?

We had a belief that punk music was far more popular than people gave it credit for. The Offspring and Green Day were able to reach that popularity level that I always knew existed. So, in some ways it was very satisfying because my hunches were correct. But Bad Religion never was a band that was jealous or marked our own success based on the success of others. We always had an internal satisfaction that was, I think, very mature, for how immature we were in many areas. The guys never had sour grapes and I didn’t either because we always were really satisfied with our work. If we went out on tour and the material that we had put out that year was crappy, then maybe we’d call it quits or we’d then be showing our rage and frustration and jealousy at the success of others, but the truth is we really believed we had the best material and we just wanted to make it better on the next record. That constant growth, the constant refinement of our craft is what got us through those years without even looking at the success of others with jealousy, but looking at it with admiration and actually motivation in saying, “Man, if those guys can do that, let’s do that too and let’s put out a better record.” The long history of our songwriting catalogue speaks the loudest. We’re just committed to the craft. And we’ve been very fortunate that other people have recognized that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/derekscancarelli/2020/09/28/40-years-of-bad-religion-vocalist-greg-graffin-on-science-deniers-garage-days-and-bands-inner-strife/?fbclid=IwAR3o8ogV6j_MPKKxba-yYiFHT5tyjRywdxyD_WnIasYLQNnfriCeKSxyr38#29f2b5122b02

By 1992, Larry Livermore had been a greaser, a teenage delinquent, a hard laborer, a hippie, a journalist, a mountaineer, and the owner of a small but growing record label. That winter, his imprint, Berkeley-based Lookout Records, released the second album by a promising young punk trio by the name of Green Day. That’s when Livermore decided he and the Lookout Records office staff should start their own group — something completely different from anything else on the label — a twee band called The Potatomen.

“I was probably more than a little crazy at the time,” Livermore says now. “I was bouncing back and forth between: ‘This is going to be a major, major record,’ and ‘This band is hopeless. I might as well jump off a bridge.’”

While none of their records came anywhere close to achieving the commercial success of Kerplunk, The Potatomen’s discography serves as an illuminating artifact of Bay Area music history — documenting the tumultuous years just after the East Bay pop-punk explosion of the early 1990s from within the very place where it all began: Lookout Records.

https://www.sfweekly.com/music/fresh-eyes-on-the-potatomen/

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GreenDayItaly said:

3 decades
6 appearances
ALL 16 performances.

Watch Howard Stern’s Green Day Video Playlist right now on SiriusXM —> siriusxm.us/GreenDayTHSS

Thank you Howard 🙏 Just when I was sitting here thinking of how much I missed them (and I really was! 😢) 💚💚💚

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow Platypus is the best thing I’ve ever seen. And to go from that to WMUWSE gives me whiplash 😂

ahahaha that was so strange. But holy shit from Platypus to WMUWSE it's like a 15 years difference and he still look the same 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

ahahaha that was so strange. But holy shit from Platypus to WMUWSE it's like a 15 years difference and he still look the same 

I knew about most of the appearances but not the one from 2001.  It's weird how they were on Stern four times between 1997 and 2001 and then didn't appear again for fifteen years, skipping over their most successful years.  Would love to have seen them during the AI/21CB period.  What we do have are gems though, having these all together is priceless.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I knew about most of the appearances but not the one from 2001.  It's weird how they were on Stern four times between 1997 and 2001 and then didn't appear again for fifteen years, skipping over their most successful years.  Would love to have seen them during the AI/21CB period.  What we do have are gems though, having these all together is priceless.

This might be totally off-base, but might this have something to do with Stern moving to satellite radio?

25 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

This might be totally off-base, but might this have something to do with Stern moving to satellite radio?

It might. I was wondering that too. Was it around the time he switched? Still, fifteen years is a long time away but it just may not have worked out with their schedules at the time.

8 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It might. I was wondering that too. Was it around the time he switched? Still, fifteen years is a long time away but it just may not have worked out with their schedules at the time.

Yeah, he moved in the early 2000s. I forget the exact year. But yeah, that does seem like a long time.