Random Green Day News

Hermione

1 hour ago, LaughingClock said:

I get your point and I laughed but I would be remiss if I didn't say to everyone "You've know you've made it when you smile and say 'I love my life'", regardless of what you do, how much money you make, and everything in between. I know people with millions who would shoot themselves if they didn't have other depending on them and the happiest person I know doesn't have two dimes to scrape together and lost his fiance at 22. 

I don't mean to preach, and I know your comment was benign but I am feeling transcendent today here as I do my weekly read through the posts.

Damn How can you be broke and having lost a beloved yet be happy. I wouldn’t be able to do it probably. How strong you have to be. 

Article from NME about Matt Healy playing with GD when he was 13 (another article spawned from other recent interviews):

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-1975s-matty-healy-reveals-he-played-bass-on-stage-with-green-day-aged-13-2612009

"I met them years later and told them the whole story and they weren't remotely interested"

Will Richards

7 mins ago

GettyImages-1204952250-696x442.jpg

The 1975‘s Matty Healy has remembered the time he was brought up on stage by Green Day to play bass with them when he was just 13 years old.

Speaking to Zane Lowe for a new interview with Apple Music, the frontman recalled being one of the lucky fans that the band pulled up on stage at every show.

“I played with Green Day once,” he told Lowe. “So I was like 13 and they did that thing where they get kids up on stage. And I was at the front and then I got up and played bass with them.”

He went on to reveal that he recalled the incident to the band when he met them many years later. “I told them the whole story and they weren’t remotely interested. So yeah.”

No idea if this is another new interview with Tre or not as it isn't available to the UK/Europe. I posted another Talk Radio interview with Tre the other day ...

https://alt1053.radio.com/blogs/dallas/tre-cool-joins-dallas-on-green-day-day

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

They just didn't know who the fuck you were 😂

I call bs on this sob story. Billie Joe has mentioned it directly in an interview and he was excited and thought it was cool. He's also gone on and even mentioned being interested in the band and supporting them. 

Just another excuse of a sub-par using GD for attention. Branden Flowers syndrome 2.0. 

I didn't get why he mentioned that they weren't interested part tbh but I remember Billie mentioned him in past as a guy from The 1975. I think he already knew the band and just didn't know him or didn't remember his name. I don't know when exactly he had a chance to talk to them but don't really think they ignored him right away.

3 hours ago, WorryRock02 said:

Video with Billie, Butch, jason and Tré singing:

My favorite part is between Jason and Kevin 54 seconds in. 🤣

1 hour ago, Beyza said:

I didn't get why he mentioned that they weren't interested part tbh but I remember Billie mentioned him in past as a guy from The 1975. I think he already knew the band and just didn't know him or didn't remember his name. I don't know when exactly he had a chance to talk to them but don't really think they ignored him right away.

It sounds like he was expecting to get a red carpet rolled out for him or something

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

It sounds like he was expecting to get a red carpet rolled out for him or something

Yeah, what did he expect them to do?  Jump up and down screaming “you’re that guy”,  ask for a cut of his royalties for giving him a start, what else could they do but just go, oh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Another article here about GD in PA:

https://eu.ydr.com/story/news/2020/02/20/green-day-makes-some-fun-stops-lancaster-county/4825034002/

Green Day makes some fun stops in Lancaster County

It was just a regular Wednesday night in Lancaster County until Green Day showed up at a couple of local entertainment venues, according to Lancasteronline.com.

Members of the Grammy award-winning band started at Decades Lancaster for some food and bowling before belting out some karaoke songs at the Belvedere Inn.

It was all to celebrate frontman Billie Joe Armstrong’s birthday. He turned 48 on Monday.

Sid Barnete, who hosts the karaoke night, said on Facebook that Armstrong sang David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust,” drummer Tre Cool sang Hall & Oates’ “Sara Smile” and Frank Sinatra’s “Summer Wind.”

There was no word why Green Day was in the area, but it could have something to do with this year's Hella Mega Tour. Green Day will be performing at Hersheypark Stadium on Aug. 16 with Weezer and Fall Out Boy.

I was looking at all the Green Day releases and the sales numbers.   And you know what, even their worst performing releases have done well.   

Tre is their least successful major studio album and it sold over 62,000 copies!  That's huge!  Even their compilations and live albums chart well for what they are.   

But let's go back further.   1039 sold 55,000 copies.   Kerplunk an astounding 4 million! 

Dookie - 20 Million

Insomniac - 2.1 Million 

Nimrod - 2 Million

Warning - 3.5 million 

American Idiot - 14 Million 

Breakdown - 1.5 Million

Uno - 450,000

Dos - 267,000

Tre-  218,000

RevRad - 700,000

FOAM - 42,000 (so far)

Bullet - 700,000

Awesome - 25,000

Woodstock - charted at #28.  

Superhits - 2 Million

Shenanigans - 183,000

Favorite Band - 100,000

American Idiot Cast - #1

Demos - #1

Supervideos  - 100,000

Cuarto - #26

The Studio Albums - charted #49

Most of their EPs charted.   

Poprocks and Coke didn't chart anywhere that I can find, but I'm sure it charted somewhere in the world.   

Same thing with Maria, I Fought the Law and Shoplifter, although I know for a FACT that they had some success with that cover.   It was the #1 itunes song back when I was your age, sunny!  

So even their flops charted.   How many of your songs have charted?  

I guess what I'm saying is this:  

Everything Green Day puts out makes them money.    If you don't like it that's cool.   But even the worst album sells are netting them at least half a million.   So.........

• Like 1

Vote Green Day vs Simple Plan - https://neiuindependent.org/15191/arts-life/first-round-green-day-1-vs-simple-plan-16/

SPGD.jpg

Here at the NEIU Independent, we’ve organized a tournament to determine which band ruled the mid-to-late 2000s, otherwise known as the MySpace Era. A generation that gravitated toward rock and its various subgenres, the mid-2000s were defined by the emergence of punk, pop punk and emo, three subgenres that experienced peak commercial success.  While rock and its subgenres no longer monopolize the airwaves, the bands that propelled punk and emo to the tops of charts possess a resiliency that keeps them near and dear to the hearts of listeners. This first round matchup is between Green Day and Simple Plan.

Green-Day-475x317.jpg

Green Day

Self-described as “God’s favorite band,” Green Day is credited with helping popularize the punk scene in North America.

Following the commercial success of 1994’s Dookie, the 2000s saw Green Day furtively mature their sound, reaching No. 1 on Billboard’s Active Rock Charts with their seventh album, American Idiot. Featuring hit singles such as the eponymous “American Idiot” and the introspective “Wake Me Up When September Ends,” Green Day became a cultural icon, solidifying their spot atop the rock mountain and embedding their name in the very soul of punk rock.

Not news but I saw this on greendayitalianrageandlove's instagram and didn't know if it had been posted before (probably has):

• Like 1