Green Day to perform at the AMAs

Fuzz

14 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

:confused: I am just saying you can enjoy the art and not engage so much with the artist. I like Woody Allen films, doesn't mean I think he's a stand up guy marrying his daughter or whatever the heck happened with that mess. I understand why it's tiresome, but it's kind of like someone sitting down to watch the Super Bowl and then going on a rant about how much they hate football. Why on earth did you engage with it in the first place if you haven't the time or patience for it? :huh: Or even people who endlessly complain about having to hear about Game of Thrones when they don't watch it themselves, refusing to acknowledge they have chosen to insert themselves into online spaces that are very well known for being full of GoT fans/disccusion.

I see what you're saying, but when you are actually a fan of something you get excited about everything to do with it. So if a new Green Day singer comes out I listen to it. Same with radio interviews and tv performances. It's just what you do when you enjoy something that much, but it gets annoying when that thing you enjoy starts becoming so absorbed into seemingly one thing and incorporates everything into that one thing it starts to wear thin. At first I didn't bother me so much. Now it's kind of overstaying it's welcome for me.  It's not like it's ruining Green Day for me and I still think Billie is amazing and he is still one of my music Heroes. 

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cunt said:

I see what you're saying, but when you are actually a fan of something you get excited about everything to do with it. So if a new Green Day singer comes out I listen to it. Same with radio interviews and tv performances. It's just what you do when you enjoy something that much, but it gets annoying when that thing you enjoy starts becoming so absorbed into seemingly one thing and incorporates everything into that one thing it starts to wear thin. At first I didn't bother me so much. Now it's kind of overstaying it's welcome for me.  It's not like it's ruining Green Day for me and I still think Billie is amazing and he is still one of my music Heroes. 

It will die down in time, if that's any comfort. Not their convictions or anger, but the constant talk about all of it once they're on the road properly for a while. I understand people listen to music for different reasons and while some (eg myself) take comfort in Green Day giving voice to the concerns of people whose lives hang in the balance, it doesn't mean everyone listens to them for that reason. If you're a Green Day fan because you want to escape the hellish hurricane going on in the world, that doesn't mean you have less validity than someone who's a fan because of their political statements. I can understand and empathise with where you're coming from, but it's important to remember they're people with opinions too.

Loved the performance, energetic and full of rage and love.  An awards show  that made me think WTF?  Where is the music?   Green Day had a performance that was needed. 

2 hours ago, Cunt said:

So by this logic Guns N' Roses are punk. Pearl Jam are punk. Rush is punk. Van Halen is punk. If being punk is about being "anti establishment" then every band in existence has been punk. Green Day aren't by any means anti establishment. They are for every popular social trend that has existed in the past 15 years. Do you know who is anti establishment? The Sex Pistols and the Dead Kennedys. Green Day was punk pre warning. Now they are are a rock band with punk rock influences and pop culture conformist ideals. 

They come from a punk scene where standing up for certain ideals (eg no racism, no sexism, no homophobia) was more important than the music fitting a narrow definition of a punk sound. They incorporated "un-punk" sounding influences from day one, just because they expanded their sound more it doesn't mean they left that ethos behind. But regardless they have included social and political commentary and expressed liberal/left leaning values all this time. They've never made escapist music that doesn't talk about real life issues. Dislike it or disagree with them but don't expect them not to do something that's ingrained in them and that they've always done.

16 hours ago, Tubbie Head said:

What channel?? I need to see this :D

RTP at the lunch news.

Wow lots of twisted knickers over a few words added into songs, I love how GD are being accused of being divisive and ridiculed over this, sorry but wtf has Trump been doing for the last year with his constant barrage of hate speech?????? This is all too hilarious. No publicity is bad publicity.

10 hours ago, Mar said:

I heard Death Cab's song, but what did Claire do/say?

Apologies, it was Mitski not Grimes. She made a point of telling any Trump supporters at her show to leave in exchange for a refund, because she wanted her shows to be a safe place.

Death Cab released a similar statement

I just don't know why people are getting surprised and annoyed with Green Day for being political...haven't they been doing that for years?! also they weren't the only ones to bash Trump at the ceremony! I think it's great that they spoke out personally.

Says everything when people are freaking out over what Green Day said and what the cast of Hamilton said about Trump and Pence yet Trump has been racist, sexist and everything under the sun for the past 16 months and basically got away with it. The irony is outstanding!   

^ That is FANTASTIC. I can't get on board with the whole idea of, "Well he's president now, we need to just support him." Nah. 

My most hard arsed far left leaning friend today told me he gained massive respect and appreciation for them doing this :happy: It gives me the warm and fuzzies that friends of mine whose common interest with me is actually sport are going out of their way to tell me things like this. Another friend (again, common interest being sport) told me it had given her great comfort. I'm glowing like a proud parent :lol: 

20 hours ago, LinziLetterbomb said:

I just don't know why people are getting surprised and annoyed with Green Day for being political...haven't they been doing that for years?! also they weren't the only ones to bash Trump at the ceremony! I think it's great that they spoke out personally.

Yes, exactly this. I would've been disappointed if they didn't say anything, they have always spoken out. Whether you agree with what they say or not, I feel it's a good thing for musicians to voice their opinions in a political regard. These people do have an influence and it's not about being antiestablishment or punk, it's about making people aware they can say what they think and argue against the powers that be. 

4 minutes ago, Misfit79 said:

Yes, exactly this. I would've been disappointed if they didn't say anything, they have always spoken out. Whether you agree with what they say or not, I feel it's a good thing for musicians to voice their opinions in a political regard. These people do have an influence and it's not about being antiestablishment or punk, it's about making people aware they can say what they think and argue against the powers that be. 

Yes, people keep forgetting that musicians and artists are human beings also and that they have the right to express their political views like all of us.

1 minute ago, Wretched & Divine said:

I can't get over Tre's drum solo, holy shit :woot:

Yes he's comletely into it, I love it too :) 

5 hours ago, Misfit79 said:

People also seem to forget they're also Tax Payers, I am so sick of hearing 'You're there to entertain me shut up and entertain' sorry Politics affects each and every one of us, they have as much right to speak out as anybody.

Also I am left leaning politically so agree with them anyway.

Yeah, I don't really understand the opinion that musicians/actors should stick to entertaining and not talk about politics. They're people whose lives are impacted by this, too. If they can use their platform to raise awareness for the things that matter to them, more power to them. And besides, music, theater, and film have always made social and political commentary. Entertainment is just as often a reflection of the times as it is an escape from reality. 

1 hour ago, stories and songs said:

Yeah, I don't really understand the opinion that musicians/actors should stick to entertaining and not talk about politics. They're people whose lives are impacted by this, too. If they can use their platform to raise awareness for the things that matter to them, more power to them. And besides, music, theater, and film have always made social and political commentary. Entertainment is just as often a reflection of the times as it is an escape from reality. 

If anything in the this election stunned me - bar the result that is - it's that given how important it was, almost half of voters didn't bother to vote.  We in the U.K are still reeling from the Bexit result which nobody expected and a general election result nobody expected but we all need more people engaged, not less.  If you can't be bothered to get out and vote, what right do you have to complain?  I've always understood that while GD voice their opinions loud and clear, they really want to encourage engagement and voting.

scale-750x750

scale-750x750

Then I finish editing video from the weekend, sneak in a two mile run, shower, pack and head to the lobby. I’m here now. Green Day’s drummer Tré Cool just walked by me with a security guard in tow. He tried to play it incognito with a forward-facing beige beret tucked down over a big pair of black sunglasses, but the aqua hair splaying out from the side was a dead giveaway. Coincidentally, I also saw him last night at the official American Music Awards after-party, before I ran into and met the band’s bassist, Mike Dirnt.

“I owned the ‘Dookie’ album on cassette!” I exclaimed. I may have had an alcoholic beverage or two at this point.

“I still own it on cassette!” Dirnt shot back. We snapped a quick selfie and went our separate ways.

http://ralphieaversa.com/2016/11/the-expected-and-unexpected-of-covering-the-american-music-awards/

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2016 at 7:11 PM, desertrose said:

“I still own it on cassette!” Dirnt shot back.

I fuckin love Mike

Archived