Green Day to perform at the AMAs

Fuzz

Green Day has never served as an escape for me. Not in the "I'm going to shut out the world and just relax" kind of way, anyway. They make me feel understood and like I belong somewhere. That's a rare feeling for a lot of us, and in its own way, it is indeed an amazing escape. There are a great many reasons why I love this band, but their awareness and involvement in social issues was one of the very first things that drew me in to them. I'm now old enough to really appreciate the statements they make about politics, and share all of their concern and anger about the state of the country. I'd never want them to censor themselves in the name of keeping some fans, nor would I expect them to.

These guys care so much. Yesterday I wore my "No racism, no sexism, no homophobia" shirt and was just bursting with pride knowing that my favorite band took this slogan to heart and has carried it with them throughout their career. To be completely honest, they make me better. They make me want to fight, to stand up for what I believe in. I wouldn't ever want that to change.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Cunt said:

This is going to be a "fun" 4 years. Billie is not going to shut up about trump. Every single damn interview and performance. I'm usually not against people expressing there views from whatever platform or venue it is, but good god it has gotten annoying this time around. That's the thing about music. It's supposed to be an escape from everything that's going on not a consistent notification reminder on how bad of a president trump could possibly be. I wish artists could understand the difference between a political rally and a concert sometimes. 

So you would rather pretend nothing's going on and live inside this bubble? No offense, please, just asking. It would be like living in a comfortable lie for me personally.

5 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

the trash is taking itself out, nice :) 

I would need some robot to clean after me to be honest :D 

I forget where i saw this but a big trump supporter tweeted some of the most ridiculous things about the performance, and one of the things he said was he cant take them seriously because they still wear guyliner, and someone replied "you look up to a 70 year old man who still uses spray tan." And i fucking lost it:lol:

I'm just at a loss as to how so many people could be surprised by anything the band have been saying/doing when American Idiot is their most popular album and being political (and liberal/left leaning) is the thing they're most famous for this century. Like how is it possible?

16 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think punk music has ever supposed to be that

Green Day hasn't been a punk band for 20 years. I'm afraid that Warning, American idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, the trilogy, and Revolution Radio don't have the strongest punk elements to them. 

17 minutes ago, Wretched & Divine said:

:ermm: Just in case you're unaware: there is more than just one band making music. And I promise you a lot of them will not involve political elements at all. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

:ermm: Just in case you're unaware: there is more than just one band making music. And I promise you a lot of them will not involve political elements at all. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

Yes I know, but that's not really the point. Look, all I'm saying is that it gets a little annoying when someone keeps on beating over the head with something that you already know how they feel about. It's kind of like that one friend that always says they hate Green Day when ever they play on the radio. It gets annoying. 

8 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I forget where i saw this but a big trump supporter tweeted some of the most ridiculous things about the performance, and one of the things he said was he cant take them seriously because they still wear guyliner, and someone replied "you look up to a 70 year old man who still uses spray tan." And i fucking lost it:lol:

This just made me laugh out loud :D is there a link?

5 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I actually never understood the argument with eyeliner. I mean Freddie Mercury, Robert Smith and so many different interprets wore makeup and nobody had a problem with that. I suppose that I will never get this logic :D 

Just now, Ellen Caulfield said:

I actually never understood the argument with eyeliner. I mean Freddie Mercury, Robert Smith and so many different interprets wore makeup and nobody had a problem with that. I suppose that I will never get this logic :D 

I think it's because the media started referring to men who wore it as guyliner, which is a horrible horrible phrase. It's just makeup, which anyone can use :P

1 minute ago, kaylubd said:

I think it's because the media started referring to men who wore it as guyliner, which is a horrible horrible phrase. It's just makeup, which anyone can use :P

Yeah. Even ancient Egyptian men used makeup, it's soo old and nothing shocking, at least not for me :D 

2 minutes ago, Cunt said:

Green Day hasn't been a punk band for 20 years. I'm afraid that Warning, American idiot, 21st Century Breakdown, the trilogy, and Revolution Radio don't have the strongest punk elements to them. 

Maybe not so much musically, but ideals-wise and in their lyrics they've certainly remained punk (and that's what we're talking about here, what they've been saying not the way the music sounds). All of those albums other than the trilogy include strong social/political commentary. There are many acts that make music that's good for escapism, Green Day has never been one of them and with them coming from a scene where addressing social and political issues is paramount I don't know why they'd be expected to be.

Also, I get it's annoying to hear about Green Day talk about Trump for the millionth time, but unfortunately, that's what reporters are asking about. Sure, they could refused the question, but it's something on their mind and they're gonna talk about it. It's a two way street going on in that regard.

You know, these people hating on Green Day have really made my day. I'm just chuckling and smiling at work because of them. 

7 minutes ago, Cunt said:

Yes I know, but that's not really the point. Look, all I'm saying is that it gets a little annoying when someone keeps on beating over the head with something that you already know how they feel about. It's kind of like that one friend that always says they hate Green Day when ever they play on the radio. It gets annoying. 

This has been the first time they've made a statement about the outcome of the election on their own terms. As a band on TV/radio or mainstream media in general. You can hardly blame them for interviewers flooding them with political questions, and I don't see why they shouldn't get to make their statements they way they want to instead of settling for it being via third parties. You have every option to not pay attention and just listen to the music if it's irritating you that much. I disagree that they should take a seat and not use their platform to broadcast how they're feeling. (Also apologies for posting twice previously, my phone has a mind of its own)

I can't stand the argument of, "Why do I care what athletes or musicians have to say? Just stick to sports or music, etc."

Well, they're also fucking people and have a freedom to express their opinion.

11 minutes ago, Ellen Caulfield said:

David Bowie had the potential to be great. He wore make up and dressed up as different characters though so I just couldn't  take him seriously. :lol:

I mean how ridiculous does that sound? :lol:

I'll rather hear their opinion on Trump in interviews than "this is the best album we ever made" and obligatory rehab question over and over. Besides Trump got them the media spotlight as nothing since Bush (no, iHeart doesn't count.)

2 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

I can't stand the argument of, "Why do I care what athletes or musicians have to say? Just stick to sports or music, etc."

Well, they're also fucking people and have a freedom to express their opinion.

Yeah, why they should shut up, to not to lose the fans? That would be really shallow IMO.

1 minute ago, Alan86 said:

David Bowie had the potential to be great. He wore make up and dressed up as different characters though so I just couldn't  take him seriously. :lol:

I mean how ridiculous does that sound? :lol:

I assume I'm not the right person to answer your question :D I get the fact that the image can do things with how do we perceive other people, but saying that somebody's talking bullshit or has no right to say his opinion because of eyeliners? It's like saying that the Smurfs are stupid because they don't look like humans because they're blue and wear stupid clothes :D 

1 minute ago, Ellen Caulfield said:

Yeah, why they should shut up, to not to lose the fans? That would be really shallow IMO.

They aren't losing many fans - they obviously mostly appeal to liberals anyway. Trump is a gift from heaven for them. They are relevant again, American Idiot gets airplay again >>> how convenient for the movie. AMA's got them trending everywhere and they made news headlines with it. This is a very well done rehash of the promotion they did for American Idiot. The mild outrage they cause is the best thing for them, they aren't losing fans, they are gaining them - a bit of controversy makes them more attractive for people as opposed to being a nonconfrontational band of middle-aged dudes. Playing Still Breathing would have been a mistake - this worked 100%. This is the once in a lifetime opportunity to say that their marketing geniuses did their job well. 

4 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

They aren't losing many fans - they obviously mostly appeal to liberals anyway. Trump is a gift from heaven for them. They are relevant again, American Idiot gets airplay again >>> how convenient for the movie. AMA's got them trending everywhere and they made news headlines with it. This is a very well done rehash of the promotion they did for American Idiot. The mild outrage they cause is the best thing for them, they aren't losing fans, they are gaining them - a bit of controversy makes them more attractive for people as opposed to being a nonconfrontational band of middle-aged dudes. Playing Still Breathing would have been a mistake - this worked 100%. This is the once in a lifetime opportunity to say that their marketing geniuses did their job well. 

I'm right now in my inner world imagining Trump jumping out of the box under the X-mas tree. That would be the worst gift ever, being a child, it would make me stop believing in Santa Claus immediately :D Honestly I think GD make themselves trending everywhere with a little help fom AMA's :D 

The people saying fans don't want this or that, are they really that sure what want other people? Personally, I don't care how many fans this band has. It has nothing to do with my views or life. I listen to the interprets that nobody's ever heard of and I still love their music as much as I would love it if they were famous, and I know that there are people out there that are listening to music I've never heard of. And it's ok to leave a band but making a tantrum out of it on the internet isn't necessary - life goes on. 

This was great but I hope they start promoting Still Breathing soon, preferably in the next couple of days either on Jimmy Kimmel or James Corden

15 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

This was great but I hope they start promoting Still Breathing soon, preferably in the next couple of days either on Jimmy Kimmel or James Corden

Of course, totally agree. I can't wait to know what the potential of SB can be. Because IMO is huge.

46 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Another moment where I have to remind myself of your age, because you are again showing that you are wise beyond your years.

Archived