Britain’s Got Talent Basket Case

penbreaker

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He covers Basket Case, not Time of Your Life.

He's really good though. I like his vocals

I think it's terrible. The stupid faces the jury put when they like something will always get me watching though :lol: 

Meh. I don't like it. Why would you fuck up a completely good song? Basket case should be played fast like it was recorded, not like some pop ballad.

That was really good.  It was 10,000 times better than Alanis Morrisettes cover.  Who the hell said that just because a song started out fast, it has to remain that way?  I love the creative spin he put on it.  I hope he goes far, good for him.  I would have liked to have seen the judges comments though, did they like it? 

38 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

That was really good.  It was 10,000 times better than Alanis Morrisettes cover.  Who the hell said that just because a song started out fast, it has to remain that way?  I love the creative spin he put on it.  I hope he goes far, good for him.  I would have liked to have seen the judges comments though, did they like it? 

They really liked his twist on the song and said his voice was very husky and had a great personality . He easily got 4 yes's and is through to the next round .

3 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

Actually maybe the song didn't even start out fast, as Billie was writing songs on acoustic guitar especially during Dookie! I like that people turn around the song a bit when making a cover, I just think that this cover is bad (he hits maaany notes wrong, I don't like the way he changed the end of the phrases, I don't like how he reharmonized it, the song doesn't move anywhere....) 

11 minutes ago, sara_gd said:

Actually maybe the song didn't even start out fast, as Billie was writing songs on acoustic guitar especially during Dookie! I like that people turn around the song a bit when making a cover, I just think that this cover is bad (he hits maaany notes wrong, I don't like the way he changed the end of the phrases, I don't like how he reharmonized it, the song doesn't move anywhere....) 

It is absolutely ok for you not to like,this rendition. However, I have just as much right to like it.  And I'm not a vocal expert but there are people on this site that are and they can really say but I don't think he really hit many bad notes. You may not like his raspy voice but I did.  I really liked his arrangement.  So to me it wasn't soooooo baaa . 

As I said in the other thread I don't like the style it's it but I can still it's creatively and well done, his voice especially is good. And it's just cool to see a Green Day song on prime time Saturday night TV. 

37 minutes ago, sara_gd said:

I think part of the end of the phrases thing was because they had to cut out the word "stoned" as it's a family show broadcast before 9pm. There's a particularly awkward cut at the end of the first chorus that turns it into "am I just oooooooh" :lol:. And the "I went to a whore line" being gone means the second verse is weirdly short. I agree the changes to the structure aren't that great, along with the ones that couldn't be helped it would've been better to keep the last chorus instead of just stopping. I guess it probably had to be a shorter version though as each performer only has so much time.

9 hours ago, penbreaker said:

I don't know what about you but It gaves me goosebumps/

Gave me goosebumps too! I thought it was good.

10 hours ago, penbreaker said:

What a fail... I don't know how I could be so wrong sorry.

No worries, I changed it. Didn't notice the posts about this until now but for future reference if you ever want to change the title of a thread you've made you can just click "edit" under the opening post and it'll let you do it.

4 minutes ago, Matt. said:

What's "Time of Your Life"?

Too late, just changed it :P 

My mum said it sounded like "Green Day in the style of Elton John".  It was pretty good, but it had nothing on the original for me.  If I'd never heard Green Day's version I'd probably have liked it a bit more, but it felt a bit lacking just because I knew how much energy GD had given it.  That said, it was very well done and he was one of the best on the show this year.  

44 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Too late, just changed it :P 

I was just being a butt because the song is called "Good Riddance"

Well.. umm.. he's good but it doesnt fit to a song like basket case to play it slow with a piano.

Fast green day song that can be slow and play them with piano for example :Worry Rock

I think he's good, but should have chosen another song. What's the point in singing a song about being bored and stoned and masturbating if you have to censor it?

2 hours ago, WhoPutTheDragInDragQueen? said:

I think he's good, but should have chosen another song. What's the point in singing a song about being bored and stoned and masturbating if you have to censor it?

But he played basket case, not longview.  Basket case is about anxiety attacks.  Longview is about being lonely and bored 

23 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

But he played basket case, not longview.  Basket case is about anxiety attacks.  Longview is about being lonely and bored 

Oh yeah, sorry. I got a bit confused. Let me correct it: What's the point in singing a song about being crazy, anxious, paranoid and stoned if you have to censor it?

38 minutes ago, WhoPutTheDragInDragQueen? said:

Oh yeah, sorry. I got a bit confused. Let me correct it: What's the point in singing a song about being crazy, anxious, paranoid and stoned if you have to censor it?

He said he's dyslexic and everyone tried to push him away from music, his passion, as a kid. I'm assuming the song speaks to him on a personal level; in a sense the song is also about trying to make sense of yourself, and sometimes being frightened by what your mind does, which you can't control. I'm sure he was also going for the "wow" factor since it's an odd rendition of a popular song. Regardless, who are we to judge what song he picks? It's his performance and I think the message still resonates, even with the censorship. 

19 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

He said he's dyslexic and everyone tried to push him away from music, his passion, as a kid. I'm assuming the song speaks to him on a personal level; in a sense the song is also about trying to make sense of yourself, and sometimes being frightened by what your mind does, which you can't control. I'm sure he was also going for the "wow" factor since it's an odd rendition of a popular song. Regardless, who are we to judge what song he picks? It's his performance and I think the message still resonates, even with the censorship. 

Such a way with words - are you a journalist or something:)

12 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I'm not trying to judge or anything, I have a mental disease too and the song speaks to me as well. Still, I hate the censorship. Back when I watched The Voice US, on the season BJ was Christina's assistant at, a girl I really liked (Michaela Paige) sang a song which had "shit" in the chorus and she had to put her finger on her lips instead of saying it. It was her worst performance and sent her home. I don't want to hate, just saying that this is a powerful song and it sounds pretty good like this, but also a bit odd without the censored words. 

6 minutes ago, WhoPutTheDragInDragQueen? said:

I'm not trying to judge or anything, I have a mental disease too and the song speaks to me as well. Still, I hate the censorship. Back when I watched The Voice US, on the season BJ was Christina's assistant at, a girl I really liked (Michaela Paige) sang a song which had "shit" in the chorus and she had to put her finger on her lips instead of saying it. It was her worst performance and sent her home. I don't want to hate, just saying that this is a powerful song and it sounds pretty good like this, but also a bit odd without the censored words. 

He did say sex:)

4 minutes ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

He did say sex:)

Yeah, but I really did confuse it with Longview for a moment.

18 minutes ago, WhoPutTheDragInDragQueen? said:

I can't speak for the UK, only the US but I would imagine it is similar in the UK.  Until a few years ago, if show on network TV, used certain words such as shit, fuck, etc the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) would fine them.  So essentially it was illegal to use certain words in their programming.  That has since been reduced and the FCC can't really fine anymore.  However, there is still a stigma of what can be said.  A show like The Voice is considered family programming and would lose a substantial piece of their audience by introducing previously banned words.  

Archived