Kerrang reviews HoB show and history of Green Day's career

stuart_and_the_ave

One last big comeback maybe?

You realize are only in there early 40's right? They have at-least 10 years left.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob: "And then...we smoked a lot of weed. I remember I was so stoned that I missed my flight." :lol:

Am I the only one who prefered the "over-produced" sound of 21st Century Breakdown than anything on the trilogy? Butch Vig really did a great job in "capturing" what Green Day needed to sound like for that album !

Am I the only one who prefered the "over-produced" sound of 21st Century Breakdown than anything on the trilogy? Butch Vig really did a great job in "capturing" what Green Day needed to sound like for that album !

Yeah in retrospect other than 21 Guns and maybe a few others the production worked pretty well. A lot better than the trilogy. I literally think that only song that sorta worked production wise on the trilogy was Sweet 16, and maybe X-Kid but that's about it.

Ugh, I hope there's a way to get this in the U.S. at a fairly reasonable price. Not because I believe anything Kerrang hypes about the band (and it wouldn't surprise me if the Cavallo quote is fake or old/out of context), but since I love the idea of having a magazine almost dedicated to a one-off show I saw :lol:

I think the overproduction worked on 21CB because it was supposed to be a big, arena-selling rock opera sort of thing. Very polished and direct. It wouldn't have worked for any of their other albums, in my opinion.

But I also don't really know a God damn thing about production so. :P Anyway, I hope this is exciting news and Cavallo means "fantastic" fantastic and not "I approved of the Trilogy" fantastic.

I literally think that only song that sorta worked production wise on the trilogy was Sweet 16

Lolwut

Lolwut

i agree, even though is not the most "memorable" song on the trilogy, it still sounds pretty damn appropriate for that kind of song. If it'd had more distortion, back vocals or anything, that wouldn't have sounded right.

Didn't mike say in an Instagram when referring to demolicious something like "what the trilogy should of sounded like"?

I literally think that only song that sorta worked production wise on the trilogy was Sweet 16, and maybe X-Kid but that's about it.

Drama Queen and Nightlife weren't too bad, production-wise.

I've merged the two topics about this. I might see if we can order a handful to sell to people who want a physical copy. Now that they do the digital version on the iOS store, I'm not sure if there's much demand to order 25-50 of them though.

Didn't mike say in an Instagram when referring to demolicious something like "what the trilogy should of sounded like"?

I think what he said was demolicious is what the trilogy would have sounded like under lookout records

Well yeah nightlife of course but i just like to pretend that song doesn't exist. For Drama queen i used to think that but now idk all the ballads on tre just sound horrible to me, whether it is DQ, The Forgotten, and they really fucked up 8th ave. serenade. I'd rather listen to the early shitty live versions every single time. And to whoever said sweet 16 doesn't work is just flat out wrong. It's a beach pop song basically. So the production is more chill and less abrasive thus it works.

Well yeah nightlife of course but i just like to pretend that song doesn't exist. For Drama queen i used to think that but now idk all the ballads on tre just sound horrible to me, whether it is DQ, The Forgotten, and they really fucked up 8th ave. serenade. I'd rather listen to the early shitty live versions every single time. And to whoever said sweet 16 doesn't work is just flat out wrong. It's a beach pop song basically. So the production is more chill and less abrasive thus it works.

Even Brutal Love?

I'd like to point how it's kinda dumb for people to shit on Rob Cavallo as if his opinion on anything related to Green Day is suddenly worthless because you didn't like some of the songs on the trilogy. This is the guy who has helped Green Day shape their music for the last 20 years. Most of us have loved most of what he's done with the band. Who gives a fuck if you thought the trilogy wasn't specatular, that doesn't mean shit. I'm excited Rob mentioned hearing new music, I'm excited that there are songs out there that have been demoed and that Rob is excited by what he's heard. It wasn't even a week ago people were legit worried the band was about to break up. Let's just enjoy the slow drum beat of a build-up while the band starts working on any new material. The constant need to find something negative is dumb.

I'd like to point how it's kinda dumb for people to shit on Rob Cavallo as if his opinion on anything related to Green Day is suddenly worthless because you didn't like some of the songs on the trilogy. This is the guy who has helped Green Day shape their music for the last 20 years. Most of us have loved most of what he's done with the band. Who gives a fuck if you thought the trilogy wasn't specatular, that doesn't mean shit. I'm excited Rob mentioned hearing new music, I'm excited that there are songs out there that have been demoed and that Rob is excited by what he's heard. It wasn't even a week ago people were legit worried the band was about to break up. Let's just enjoy the slow drum beat of a build-up while the band starts working on any new material. The constant need to find something negative is dumb.

I don't think anyone's trying to shit on Rob, or claim he doesn't know what he's talking about. Just that it makes me, at least, slightly more cautious to be excited about his opinion, based on what he said about the Trilogy, which most people agree was pretty good, but not mindblowingly so. And I don't think people are going out of their way to be negative, they're just being honest about the way the news makes them feel. Some people are excited, like you. Some people less so. And that's all okay. I love you, Fuzz, but I don't think you should artificially shape the discussion just because you don't like that some people aren't being 100% positive about new Green Day.

As someone who was legitimately concerned for the future of the band leading up to the Rock Hall, I am pretty damn relieved to hear Mike say they're going back to band practice and reading such a quote from Cavallo.

That being said, Kerrang! is shamelessly hard up for Green Day, and it's beautifully amusing--mostly because I can relate.

I don't think anyone's trying to shit on Rob, or claim he doesn't know what he's talking about. Just that it makes me, at least, slightly more cautious to be excited about his opinion, based on what he said about the Trilogy, which most people agree was pretty good, but not mindblowingly so. And I don't think people are going out of their way to be negative, they're just being honest about the way the news makes them feel. Some people are excited, like you. Some people less so. And that's all okay. I love you, Fuzz, but I don't think you should artificially shape the discussion just because you don't like that some people aren't being 100% positive about new Green Day.

Artificially shaping the discussion is what I do best. Over the last year I've just gotten so tired of GDCers being so goddamn negative about everything. It's actually a big part of me not being as active as I used to be. So I saw some potentially exciting news and read the topic and more than 50% of the conversation is about why the trilogy wasn't good or why these songs shouldn't have been selected or whatever. The way I see it, it's better to discourage the negativity and encourage the overexcitement. That's much more entertaining and interesting. I don't know where I'm going with this. Just kinda throwing my opinion around to move things in a direction I'm happier with.

Archived