Jason White has been diagnosed with tonsil cancer

Hero_Of_The_Hour

Official statement via the Big Cats facebook:

"Hey there friends, sad to say but the Big Cats have to step aside and miss our annual holiday show this year. A few weeks ago Jason found out that his two month long sore throat was in fact a bit of cancer growing on his esophagus. The good news is that it's localized and very much treatable. He gets started later this week. Thanks in advance for keeping him in your thoughts. We'll see ya in 2015."

https://m.facebook.com/bigcatsinarkansas?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fbigcatsinarkansas

Update posted by Jason's wife Janna here on GDC:

"Hi, I am Jason's wife and I haven't posted on this board since 2005,literally. But just wanted to clarify that Jason has been diagnosed with tonsil cancer, not esophagus cancer. The Big Cats post was unintentionally misleading. His tonsil cancer is not due to tobacco or alcohol and his prognosis is very good. Thank you so much for y'all's words of support. Jason doesn't come on here, but I will pass along the well wishes. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we begin this journey. It's gonna be hell but he will be fine when it's all said and done."

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already said it, but I can't say enough how heartbreaking this is. I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

That's awful :( It's good news though that it seems to be treatable. I do hope everything goes well and all. My thoughts are with him and his family.

California's (his band) fb page said he was recovering from throat surgery, so hopefully he's already gotten in taken care of and we have nothing to worry about.

Fuck cancer. Love to his family. I hope his voice comes out of this- I love his backups.

The first thing i said when I saw this title was "Oh. Fuck."

The good thing is, is that it has been caught early and there is a good chance that he will be able to continue his vocal career with a little therapy.
I hope he has a speedy recovery. <3

at first i thought, "surely not, fuck this!"
but, hey! theres some good news there, looks like just a 'minor' interruption, a speedy recovery is hopefully the case

Fucking hell. ): All my thoughts and love are with Jase and his family. Wish him a full and speedy recovery.

2014 has really been a disappointment, after a weak 2013 (for me and my surroundings at least). I really hope 2015 will be better.

Wish you all the best, Jason (I wished, and still do, Britt all the best too, I just didn't want to comment, since it would've gone completely under and would've been unnecessary)

I couldn't believe it when I saw the caption! I'm so glad that it's treatable, and hope that he has a quick and easy recovery. Man, not the best year for Green Day.

Fuck cancer. Love to his family. I hope his voice comes out of this- I love his backups.

After a several weeks off for Jason to recuperate from throat surgery, that's a wrap for vocals. Onward to percussion, mixing and getting even better!
10325657_1520099234937662_82459859894667

^^Looks like he's already better

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought this topic name was a sick joke. Sorry to hear it but at least it seems like it was a very quick and treatable problem and that he's already on the road to recovery!! GO Jason!

^^Looks like he's already better

That was posted on Monday but the Big Cats facebook posted their update a few hours ago and it states that they have cancelled their Christmas gig and Jason is due to begin treatment in a few weeks so he is obviously not already better.

Hey Jason, hope you feel better (just in case you follow GDC)! Xoxoxo

I'm sorry to hear this news. I'm glad it's treatable and they caught it early though. Best wishes to Jason and his family. #fuckcancer

Wow, it's shocking and really sad. First Brittney, now Jason. I hope everything goes okay for him and his family.

Archived