will green day bounce back?

peppermint butler

I know I'm probably talking to a brick wall here, but I'm pretty sure the artist's label has to send a request to the RIAA before an album is certified gold/platinum/multi-platinum. You don't just get a certificate in the mail from the RIAA the second your record sells 500,000 copies.

Whatever the process is, it still hasn't been certified. There's no data on how much it sold.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows? I sure hope so, what fan doesn't? For instance not many thought that they would make a comeback after Warning, but look what happened, the magnifecent American Idiot was born.(of course that's also after Cigarettes and Valentines was stolen)I don't think that anyone was expecting them to pull of something that spectacular. So yeah, the idea of them bouncing back is unlikely, but that just makes me believe that they are going to even more....if that makes any sense☺

Just like I said in some other thread, after Insomniac, we thought they were over and done with and that they would not come back before late 1999. And was it so? Nah.

Media blow things out of proportion.

Come back from what - I thought it was certainly a successful tour - from the 3 I saw in australia billie had complete control even though the usual soundwavers didn't appreciate GD as the headliners they pulled it off - as for the trilogy - love it our hate it the song writing seemed to come easy to billie & that seemed to be want they wanted to produce - so that alone should give everyone confidence that they can produce solid albums in the future - they have nothing to prove.

Come back from what - I thought it was certainly a successful tour - from the 3 I saw in australia billie had complete control even though the usual soundwavers didn't appreciate GD as the headliners they pulled it off - as for the trilogy - love it our hate it the song writing seemed to come easy to billie & that seemed to be want they wanted to produce - so that alone should give everyone confidence that they can produce solid albums in the future - they have nothing to prove.

Exactly. Who cares if they sell millions of records? Why would that even cross anyone's mind? Being successful has nothing to do with it, they're Green Day and they are popular as shit . . even if they aren't all over magazine covers and making #1 albums. Record sales and fame have nothing to do with it, good music is good music. American Idiot was popular because it came out at the right time. The image, the style, the songwriting. . if American Idiot was released today hardly anyone would care and none of the songs would be played on the radio.

Exactly. Who cares if they sell millions of records? Why would that even cross anyone's mind? Being successful has nothing to do with it, they're Green Day and they are popular as shit . . even if they aren't all over magazine covers and making #1 albums. Record sales and fame have nothing to do with it, good music is good music. American Idiot was popular because it came out at the right time. The image, the style, the songwriting. . if American Idiot was released today hardly anyone would care and none of the songs would be played on the radio.

Green day have had two once in lifetime albums along with the rest of their catalogue - is what I meant by nothing to prove - they are on a break - the break established by needing to recharge is being dictated by ill health.

I'd like to have a kick-ass album, and a huge tour so I could have a little chance to finally see them live, but I don't think they will do something that huge.

I think they will come back (I hope for 2016 or something), but they won't do something outsize to prove they are back - they don't need imo.

I don't get why people think Green Day are over because the trilogy wasn't popular or because they didn't like it. No one in this thread has said that exactly but it does seem to be why a lot of people on here and elsewhere think they won't come back. They didn't record or release it because they'd run out of ideas or because they got lazy or whatever - they wanted to do it, they were proud of the end product and the lyrics did mean something to Billie. It wasn't any different to their other albums in that sense. They'll come back, it'll just be whenever they're in a better personal place to do so.

I'm sorry, but a comeback from what? I still consider Green Day to be very well known and successful. I don't listen to the radio much but I'm sure their popular hits are played from time to time and people are able to tell that it's Green Day. They have a huge fan base and tons of people still go to their concerts. It wouldn't even matter which tour it's for, people would still go to their concerts. Even people who aren't really into them and just know of them go to their concerts. My brother saw Green Day with me because he was like, "Well, I could say that I saw Green Day", and I'm sure people who know a few of their good songs would just say, "Why not?"and go.

I think Green Day may or may not be able to 'make a come back', whatever that means, but I think they will always be best known for American Idiot. They might be able to bring back some insanely popular and well known songs again in the future, but if not, their fan base is big enough for their songs to go appreciated.

I think they'll probably just exist in the background now, still sort of there. I can't see another huge American idiot style explosion again, rock isn't as mainstream as it once was.
I hope they ditch the whole concept/theme/story thing, just write some good music and start touring again. I can't see anything huge happening until Britt gets the all clear or is well enough to travel with Mike.

The background of what? They're still pretty popular. If you're speaking in comparison to American Idiot, then that's really subjective. I know a few people who like their new albums more than American Idiot. If you're speaking in terms of 'rock music not being mainstream' (which is true), then I suppose they're just in the 'background'. Regardless, I'm sure there are some rock stations you could find on the radio with a ton of people who listen to them.

Their concept/theme/story album is what caused an explosion of popularity surrounding them. Like many other people, I absolutely loved that stuff and would hope they continue on with that or try again. I'm not sure if you're implying that the Trilogy has a specific theme, but in my eyes it doesn't. It's just a bunch of songs thrown together on three albums. I'd love to get another story out of a new album, like they did in American Idiot. As someone who loved the Trilogy, I think 90% of the songs on the three albums were really good and I was very pleased with the outcome. Clearly, it didn't satisfy many people on this site. Do you mean 'good' music that is themeless, like in Dookie and Nimrod?

Well they're not a band anymore so how could they?

I'm sorry? They are a band. As far as I know, they're just taking a break.

I don't get why people think Green Day are over because the trilogy wasn't popular or because they didn't like it. No one in this thread has said that exactly but it does seem to be why a lot of people on here and elsewhere think they won't come back. They didn't record or release it because they'd run out of ideas or because they got lazy or whatever - they wanted to do it, they were proud of the end product and the lyrics did mean something to Billie. It wasn't any different to their other albums in that sense. They'll come back, it'll just be whenever they're in a better personal place to do so.

Green Day is over as a band which was clearly shown by their last tour. They band looked completely out of sync, unenthused, and simply going through the motions. Mike may be the only member who gives a shit about Green Day anymore. I've never seen Tre so bored as he was during the 99Revs tour, and he's probably still pissed at Billie for the rehab stuff, as Billie said in the RS interview. And Billie probably realizes that he is the band at this point and doesn't need the others. The final reason is because the band itself has become restrictive. Billie has shown reluctance to putting his bands name on experimental things. The Tubbies was a fine example of this, and resulted in the best album they've made in 10 years. But Billie was afraid to call it a Green Day album. I think Billie sees this band as restrictive to what he can produce and release.

Green Day is over as a band which was clearly shown by their last tour. They band looked completely out of sync, unenthused, and simply going through the motions. Mike may be the only member who gives a shit about Green Day anymore. I've never seen Tre so bored as he was during the 99Revs tour, and he's probably still pissed at Billie for the rehab stuff, as Billie said in the RS interview. And Billie probably realizes that he is the band at this point and doesn't need the others. The final reason is because the band itself has become restrictive. Billie has shown reluctance to putting his bands name on experimental things. The Tubbies was a fine example of this, and resulted in the best album they've made in 10 years. But Billie was afraid to call it a Green Day album. I think Billie sees this band as restrictive to what he can produce and release.

This was very well stated. The band itself may not be doing anything, but Billie has been very, very busy. He is doing a variety of different things and seems enthusiastic and enjoying himself. I think Billie always was the band, from moment one, but as you stated, he realizes that now. He doesn't need GD to continue his career and can experiment more as a solo artist.

This was very well stated. The band itself may not be doing anything, but Billie has been very, very busy. He is doing a variety of different things and seems enthusiastic and enjoying himself. I think Billie always was the band, from moment one, but as you stated, he realizes that now. He doesn't need GD to continue his career and can experiment more as a solo artist.

I disagree that Billie was always the band. Sure, he always did most of the writing, but I think that in the 90s the rest of the band made more of a contribution. Now I feel like Billie just does it all himself, and then the rest of the band just plays off of the sheet music.

all these comments (as this thread) are so superficial... i didn't even think once about these questions.

im 100% sure green day will record an album within the next 2 years and it will be decent (i listened to my uno dos tre best of playlist again today, and damn it could have been a great single album with a rawer production. even one of their bests).* i'd bet some money on that. sales: who the fuck cares? they will sell more than enough with all their old fans, so it'll more succesfull than many bands could ever dream of. i'm even glad if my favourite bands don't get that overhyped mainstream attention... less lame people on concerts, smaller venues, more fun. but i'm pretty sure green day is capeable of another huge album, regarding the quality of it. and thats all that counts. do you guys only fully enjoy your music when it's trendy, or why do you care so much if it'll be another american idiot?

1. Stay the Night

2. Loss of Control

3. Rusty james

4. Fuck Time

5. Lazy Bones

6. Wild One

7. Stray Heart

8. Ashley

9. Lady Cobra

10. Nightlife

11. Amy

12. Brutal Love

13. Sex, drugs and violence

14. Walk Away

15. Missing you

16. Dirty Rotten Bastards

17. X-Kid

18. 99 Revolutions

Indeed! If they continue to make and release the music they feel inspired to make and go on tour and enjoy it that's all the "comeback" I need. Quite nice to see their music sell well and/or be critically acclaimed but that's just a small cherry on the cake which I can still enjoy the band just as much without.

Also this! They just set a new attendance record for Emirates Stadium, selling out the place last year. And as far as I'm aware they were perfectly happy with the most recent music they released - which is all that matters when it comes to creating music - even if it didn't turn out to be as popular as some previous releases. Honestly this site seems to be home to some of the biggest Green Day pessimists on the planet :lol:

He's always done quite a lot between Green Day stuff, from Pinhead Gunpowder to starting a record label etc. Since there's no possibility of doing any Green Day stuff right now maybe he's just making the most of his time. If it's a choice between doing other creative stuff and sitting around going with the former is all the better for Green Day once they get back to doing stuff, since it'll keep his creative juices flowing in the mean time.

He's always done quite a lot between Green Day stuff, from Pinhead Gunpowder to starting a record label etc. Since there's no possibility of doing any Green Day stuff right now maybe he's just making the most of his time. If it's a choice between doing other creative stuff and sitting around going with the former is all the better for Green Day once they get back to doing stuff, since it'll keep his creative juices flowing in the mean time.

Why is there no possibility of doing Green Day stuff right now? I agree that they would not tour until Brit is healthy but that does not mean that they could not be writing, doing demos, recording, etc. Now, there always is the possibility that they are, and I hope that they are. Billie could have brought the whole band to some of the charity events he has done, but he didn't.

I disagree that Billie was always the band. Sure, he always did most of the writing, but I think that in the 90s the rest of the band made more of a contribution. Now I feel like Billie just does it all himself, and then the rest of the band just plays off of the sheet music.

I agree that the whole band contributed until probably the trilogy. So, well into the 2000's. But, I don't think GD would have existed without Billie, but could have without Mike and Tre. Now, I don't think the band would have been anywhere near as successful because they have always worked as a unit. Part of the reason they are so successful is because they got along so well and respected each other. And that is the reason they have been around for 25 years. But in theory, the band could have existed with Billie and others.

I actually think Mike is the glue that has held them together all these years. I've always seen the band fitting into Tom Hanks last scene in That Thing you Do. He is talking to Tom Everett Scot's character and he tells him, you are the smart one, Lenny's the fool and Jimmy's the talent. Same thing for GD, Mike's the smart one, Tre's the fool, Billie's the talent.

It may not sound like it, but I do agree with you.

I agree that the whole band contributed until probably the trilogy. So, well into the 2000's. But, I don't think GD would have existed without Billie, but could have without Mike and Tre. Now, I don't think the band would have been anywhere near as successful because they have always worked as a unit. Part of the reason they are so successful is because they got along so well and respected each other. And that is the reason they have been around for 25 years. But in theory, the band could have existed with Billie and others.

I actually think Mike is the glue that has held them together all these years. I've always seen the band fitting into Tom Hanks last scene in That Thing you Do. He is talking to Tom Everett Scot's character and he tells him, you are the smart one, Lenny's the fool and Jimmy's the talent. Same thing for GD, Mike's the smart one, Tre's the fool, Billie's the talent.

It may not sound like it, but I do agree with you.

I don't the band could've existed without Mike - it started out as just the two of them with Sweet Children, and I don't think they would've gone on to form a band at Gilman without the two of them. They definitely wouldn't have been as successful without Tre, but they would've existed, as evidenced by the existence of 39/Smooth.

Mike's bass lines are essential to their pre-AI sound. Tre they could have done without, though a better drummer than John would come in handy.

One tour can't determine a band being 'over' or not. Their music is still well liked by many people, they still have a ton of fans, and they can still perform at large venues that are pretty packed. The only two complaints about the 99 Revolutions tour I had were the lack of North American venues they played at, and that I couldn't see them. I think they all care about the band very much but they're all going through things. Billie Joe's rehabilitation situation probably made it a bit awkward for the others and it was probably why they were a bit drained. But they've all done so much work...it's fine to be drained. I'm sure performance wise they'll be more enthused to play by the next album and after this break.

And I disagree. Billie Joe has done things successfully without the others (like the album with Norah Jones) but at the end of the day they're all close friends and they all work well together. They have so much going for them under the band name 'Green Day' with those members...it's not like he'd throw it all away or like he assumes he is better than the rest.

I wouldn't say they're restrictive...but maybe selective.

They're all doing something. Tre just got married and Mike's wife is very ill. As for Jason White, I honestly have no clue LOL.

I don't the band could've existed without Mike - it started out as just the two of them with Sweet Children, and I don't think they would've gone on to form a band at Gilman without the two of them. They definitely wouldn't have been as successful without Tre, but they would've existed, as evidenced by the existence of 39/Smooth.

I think they could have existed without Mike, Billie easily could have found another bassist. But Billie probably would have melted down alot sooner than 20 years later without Mike. He is most definitely the voice of reason in the band and has held them together.

Why is there no possibility of doing Green Day stuff right now? I agree that they would not tour until Brit is healthy but that does not mean that they could not be writing, doing demos, recording, etc. Now, there always is the possibility that they are, and I hope that they are. Billie could have brought the whole band to some of the charity events he has done, but he didn't.

Well I obviously don't know the exactly details of what's going on with Brittney and Mike but it does seem quite unlikely that he'd be up for making an album right now, for example he recently replied to someone on Instagram who was asking him for Green Day to do stuff explaining that his wife is battling cancer and he is now his children's primary caregiver so family takes priority over career at the moment. And besides that it seem natural that they'd all take a break before making a new album anyway, to live their lives and experience some things before coming back together to do new Green Day stuff. Mike is busy and Tre is too, he just got married and he's been doing some drumming stuff, so they might not have been interested in attending those events with Billie. The three of them always take a break and do their own stuff between albums, it's normal.

Can someone explain why some people say Mike and Tre contributed more to the band until the trilogy? In every interview I've read they've always said how much fun they had working together on the trilogy and how there was great camaderie during that big project. To me, that points into another direction. Sometimes I feel the common dislike of the trilogy on this forum drives people to assume negative things about the band at that time that may or may not be actually there. Like, just because you didn't like the trilogy, that doesn't have to mean it's because the way they work together has changed. I just don't really see any evidence as to a change in their creative process when all they said (and what is seen on cuatro) implies they still work together really well.

Well I obviously don't know the exactly details of what's going on with Brittney and Mike but it does seem quite unlikely that he'd be up for making an album right now, for example he recently replied to someone on Instagram who was asking him for Green Day to do stuff explaining that his wife is battling cancer and he is now his children's primary caregiver so family takes priority over career at the moment. And besides that it seem natural that they'd all take a break before making a new album anyway, to live their lives and experience some things before coming back together to do new Green Day stuff. Mike is busy and Tre is too, he just got married and he's been doing some drumming stuff, so they might not have been interested in attending those events with Billie. The three of them always take a break and do their own stuff between albums, it's normal.

I agree and understand that Mike's priority is Britt and his family. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Because of this, I would not in any way shape or form expect them to tour at this time. I also don't believe Billie or Tre would want too either. However, Mike is under alot of pressure. Going to the studio for a bit and even just playing around, not even recording, but just doing something, will keep him sane. I just meant to say that there is the possibility that they are doing something.

This break just seems very different, especially because of the way it came about.

I agree and understand that Mike's priority is Britt and his family. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Because of this, I would not in any way shape or form expect them to tour at this time. I also don't believe Billie or Tre would want too either. However, Mike is under alot of pressure. Going to the studio for a bit and even just playing around, not even recording, but just doing something, will keep him sane. I just meant to say that there is the possibility that they are doing something.

This break just seems very different, especially because of the way it came about.

I don't think it came about in a strange way. Clearly the break they took during Billie's rehab was different but now it seems business as usual, they went on tour, finished, and are now taking a break. For some reason a lot of articles were written calling it a "hiatus" and stuff (I guess just because the trilogy wasn't hugely successful, the band is getting older and there was the rehab thing not that long ago so they want to imply there's some drama to it) but really there's nothing out of the ordinary about it as far as I can see, it was the same after the American Idiot and 21st CB tours ended.

Mike's bass lines are essential to their pre-AI sound. Tre they could have done without, though a better drummer than John would come in handy.

Tré is an incredibly underrated drummer, mostly because he's very restricted by Billie's songwriting. I can literally count the number of times Green Day have left 4/4 on one hand, and Tré has to play the same stuff for about 90% of their songs because they're all very similar. That said, Tré is definitely far more talented than many of his contemporaries, and was probably the second best mainstream rock drummer of the 90's behind Dave Grohl. His cymbal work is incredible for a pop-punk drummer, and although he borrows the vast majority of his drum fills from Jim Reilly of Stiff Little Fingers fame, at least he actually uses them, unlike so many other pop-punk drummers.

John was a bloody terrible drummer, and that's being generous. I remember reading somewhere that Tré, 4 years his junior, was giving him drum lessons before John quit Green Day.

I think they could have existed without Mike, Billie easily could have found another bassist. But Billie probably would have melted down alot sooner than 20 years later without Mike. He is most definitely the voice of reason in the band and has held them together.

Mike is easily one of the best mainstream rock bassists out there. His fills are probably the defining aspect of Kerplunk, Dookie, and Insomniac. Would Longview have been a hit without that bassline? Would Green Day have been a hit without Longview? Even leaving his considerable bass skills aside, his backing vocals and harmonies are bloody incredible. It was very noticeable on the Trilogy when Billie recorded his own harmonies.

Can someone explain why some people say Mike and Tre contributed more to the band until the trilogy? In every interview I've read they've always said how much fun they had working together on the trilogy and how there was great camaderie during that big project. To me, that points into another direction. Sometimes I feel the common dislike of the trilogy on this forum drives people to assume negative things about the band at that time that may or may not be actually there. Like, just because you didn't like the trilogy, that doesn't have to mean it's because the way they work together has changed. I just don't really see any evidence as to a change in their creative process when all they said (and what is seen on cuatro) implies they still work together really well.

37 songs and not one writing credit for Mike or Tré just sounds plain wrong to me. If they were having so much fun recording the album and doing all these new things and expanding their musical horizons, then why were 2 (or even 3) members of the band completely left out of the writing process?

Take for example the footage we have of Billie recording that Missing You demo. The only thing that changes between that and the final version of the song is a drum solo by Tré. And that solo makes the song. Without it, it'd be barely memorable. That's what gets cut out when Mike and Tré aren't involved. Small memorable things that make or break songs.

It's always been rare that Mike or Tre contributed the lyrics to a song on any record. If at all, it's never much more than one song and even then they share the writing creds sometimes with Billie (like Mike with Panic Song on Insomniac). Obviously, there are a lot more songs on the trilogy, but they were apparently all written in a quite short time, probably quite similar to the time they would normally take for one new album.

And your example actually shows that Tre did have an input. I also remember that they said it was Mike who suggested to Billie to write a song like Kill the DJ. It's obviously not like they have nothing to say in the creative process of the band. Sometimes it might not seem much, but we don't know how much influence they really had with every song. Plus, I suppose they probably rely on Billie to write the songs for Green Day because it's always been that way. Maybe Mike and Tre were also a bit overwhelmed by having to work with so many new songs at once.

Archived