Anyone think Green Day will top American idiot with their next album?

xBlaydeRx

They topped Dookie a handful of times already so no point.

you mad bro?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about another chill out album, with some really heavy sound, some mature lyrics, sounding like , fuck the world, some well written choruses, and please, no political opera again.

I don´t think they will ever top AI but I don´t think it´s the point at all. I´d be completely satisfied if they topped the Trilogy and made a few more decent albums before they eventually break up.

People have already said it but AI was the right album at the right time. Even if they could write as good an album, America isn't in a place where it'd mean as much as it did. During the Bush presidency there was a lot of anger, it was a much more political time and AI got so much acclaim because it was so relative at the time. Even aside from that the landscape in the music industry is different now, back then every now and then you just had this huge album that came out and everybody (EVERYBODY) was playing it (there was Dookie, Nevermind, AI, I'd even say Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory & Korn Follow The Leader). Music just isn't like that anymore, I can't think of an album that's made that kind of impact since American Idiot (I'm sure that's wrong and someone'll point it out but w/e!).

Long story short, I don't think it's possible for anybody right now.

In a sense, yes. It makes sense in context though. Obviously it'd be far better if they weren't going through these things, but it's generally the case that the best music comes from artists who are going through a shit time.

This. In a round about way Billie's said it himself, the quote was something along the lines of nobody wanting to see fat green day. Look at Dookie and AI, both came from a place of a lot of angst and more recently when Billie's writing songs about living life and having fun (the trilogy) it's not as well received. If he writes a whole album out of Restless Heart Syndrome it might not be uplifting but it'll be fuckin powerful and people will cling to it for that reason.

In a sense, yes. It makes sense in context though. Obviously it'd be far better if they weren't going through these things, but it's generally the case that the best music comes from artists who are going through a shit time.

The thing is they've gone through plenty of shit before and written about it on every album they've made, Uno Dos and Tre included. It's not like everything was perfect when they made those albums, the lyrics aren't exactly 100% cheery. Pretty sure they've dealt with drink/drug issues and serious personal/family issues many times throughout their career. They've written more popular music during both good and bad times and less popular music during both good and bad times, so it can be irritating to see people act like going through one bad thing is going to have some magical effect on their music when it isn't as simple as that by a long stretch.

you mad bro?

not particularly, no :happy:

Dookie just doesn't stand up to most of their other material, especially AI

not particularly, no :happy:

Dookie just doesn't stand up to most of their other material, especially AI

What do you smoke and where can I get some?

What do you smoke and where can I get some?

Is this guy for real? I'll take it you are the troll of this site guy...

Will there be another album? Almost 2 years since the trilogy, no secret shows, everyone is doing something different, etc.

Will there be another album? Almost 2 years since the trilogy, no secret shows, everyone is doing something different, etc.

They are on a undetermined break

One part of me thinks they can do it and I'd love to hear it, for sure. But the other part says that because American Idiot is my favourite babe, I'm hesitating. (Even when that doesn't mean that if the record gets bigger than American Idiot it will stop being my fave ♥)

Maybe Green Day should go for it :toocool:

I know.. I get the feeling it'll be at least a few years before we see anything.

Is this guy for real? I'll take it you are the troll of this site guy...

Trolls are funny. Stevie's just a bellend.

I'm disappointed that this summer has been quiet except for that 2.5 men thing that happened. I just happen to be in the Bay Area this summer...

Does anyone else find it macabre to hear other fans speculate about all the "great" material Billie and Mike must be getting from going through really horrible life experiences?

Yeah, but people tend to be more creative when they're depressed or going through crap. So not entirely incomprehensible. I'm not saying that it's a recipe for good, solid material, only that people apparently tend to be more creative when they have problems.

I can probably say that not much will be happening for the rest of the summer...

I know.. I get the feeling it'll be at least a few years before we see anything.

They're always on an "undetermined break" after they finish touring an album though :lol:, they never set a specific time limit. They'll have a break then come back with a new album like usual, agreed it might be a while yet though since they only stopped touring a few months ago.

They're always on an "undetermined break" after they finish touring an album though :lol:, they never set a specific time limit. They'll have a break then come back with a new album like usual, agreed it might be a while yet though since they only stopped touring a few months ago.

Oh I know

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being really small and hearing my brother say stuff like "They'll never top Dookie" - My brother being 17 when I was 7 - But I suppose yeah it's possible to commercially be as successful as AI , but it won't top it, That was massive.

I like their new-er stuff (That doesn't include Oh Love); and I don't understand why people don't, I mean they've had that sound in their toolbox for years (Listen to the Warning LP version of Maria). It makes for some great songs, and even great albums, though I'm thankful for the Trilogy, I think a single album of the less "filler"-ish tracks would've been more successful.

I'd personally be happy for any new Green Day material even if it wasn't anywhere near AI standard.

It's unrealistic to expect (or even hope for) them to top AI now.

They are early 40s now, is that too old? Maybe.. but they still mostly look and sound the part when playing live.

Whatever happens, they need to do better than the Trilogy, otherwise that's them down and out imo.

It'd take a beast album... A trilogy of trilogiee or something.

They have the capability, but it's a tall order

It's unrealistic to expect (or even hope for) them to top AI now.

They are early 40s now, is that too old? Maybe.. but they still mostly look and sound the part when playing live.

Whatever happens, they need to do better than the Trilogy, otherwise that's them down and out imo.

What does age have to do with anything? Because they won't have the energy they had back then is that why? The trilogy had some very energetic songs IMO.

Or is it the fact that you think their mind isn't as sharp as it used to be? Is that what it is?

Archived