Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Dirty Rotten Bastards

Song of the Week

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Joe Van Winkle

Joe Van Winkle
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined Dec 28, 2012
  • 15 rep
Hi guys, as you all may know, Green Day's 99 Revolutions tour is over, unless of course they have a few more club dates planned. Throughout the tour, they never played Dirty Rotten Bastards, not even once, so I want to hear your opinions. Could it be that Billie Joe found it too long and too fast to play live? (But, they've played Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming live many times!) Billie Joe even said once that this would be an arena sing along type song! Do you think Mike would be able to pull off that killer bass solo live?
  • Iain likes this

iScottie

iScottie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Joined Sep 10, 2012
  • 4,920 rep

If I recall correctly, Mike said they were waiting for more sales or some other stupid reason before they played it (and other songs).

19GreenAngel91

19GreenAngel91
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 3,233 rep
:( :cry:

And other trilogy songs too..they are all "forgotten".. like Lazy bones..walk away (Billie played like 30 seconds at Leeds and never again)
Who knows why..

Matt.

Matt.
  • Pump Ass

• 5,750 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2006
  • 3,611 rep

Yeah, iScottie is right. I believe Mike was asked about it during an interview and he said they wanted to wait until ¡Tré! had higher sales numbers so people knew the song better.

But that didn't stop the band from playing "Brutal Love" and "Missing You." (I would say "X-Kid" as well but it was a single)

• Iain and Koal Koalson like this

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,179 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 1,068 rep

If I recall correctly, Mike said they were waiting for more sales or some other stupid reason before they played it (and other songs).

Where did you get that from?

19GreenAngel91

19GreenAngel91
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 3,233 rep

Where did you get that from?

He said it to some fans during a meet and greet he did when the US tour started last march

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 956 rep

The way I see it, the song had such a feel of rousing camaraderie to it from the band itself that if the audience didn't know it that well, the song would lose some of its magic. But everyone knows that the opening riff of Minority fits into the end of DRB like a hand into a glove (unless you're OJ Simpson). I want to see it live so badly  :cry:

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,018 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,911 rep
Dirty rotten bastards sucks, why would anyone wanna hear it at all? :P
  • StuckWithInsomnia and DookieLukie like this

Doctor of Pepper

Doctor of Pepper
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Joined Apr 14, 2013
  • 377 rep

I feel indifferent about Dirty Rotten in particular, but I wish they'd play more than the same few trilogy songs every show (a couple more from ¡Dos!, particularly). Even Kill the DJ or Sweet 16 would've been cool every now and then, I think. Amy and Drama Queen would've made for nice acoustic songs.

Spoiler

• localinsomniac likes this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 13,018 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,911 rep

I feel indifferent about Dirty Rotten in particular, but I wish they'd play more than the same few trilogy songs every show (a couple more from ¡Dos!, particularly). Even Kill the DJ or Sweet 16 would've been cool every now and then, I think. Amy and Drama Queen would've made for nice acoustic songs.

Spoiler

KYE is one of their best singles. They're not gonna drop it. There aren't any better singles from that album except 21Guns, but Idk if you want them to play that instead
  • DookieLukie likes this

Gwen Stacy

Gwen Stacy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2010
  • 956 rep

KYE is one of their best selling singles. They're not gonna drop it. There aren't any better singles from that album except 21Guns, but Idk if you want them to play that instead

I would rather them play almost anything else from 21CB. I need my Murder City fix!

• Iain and Doctor of Pepper like this

Doctor of Pepper

Doctor of Pepper
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Joined Apr 14, 2013
  • 377 rep

KYE is one of their best singles. They're not gonna drop it. There aren't any better singles from that album except 21Guns, but Idk if you want them to play that instead

Yes.

JardyOfSuburbia

JardyOfSuburbia
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2012
  • 206 rep

Didn't Billie somewhat address this on the Jeff Matika show? He said something about playing it before all of Dookie? I think his words were "Dirty Rotten Dookie" or something like that.

19GreenAngel91

19GreenAngel91
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 3,233 rep

Didn't Billie somewhat address this on the Jeff Matika show? He said something about playing it before all of Dookie? I think his words were "Dirty Rotten Dookie" or something like that.

Oh yeah you're right. Totally forgot about that till now..but still..
. The tour is over and it was never played :(

Btw they soundchecked it in Milan last May...
  • Tubbie Head and JardyOfSuburbia like this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,673 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,458 rep

I'm not sure why. It doesn't have the depth or personality like JoS has but it's still a song that's grand in scale and I think it'd be a great one to hear live, even if people don't know the words. But they've done this before in not playing perfectly good upbeat songs. In the 21stCB era Billie was interviewed saying he'd love to play Christian's Inferno live to hear the crowd learn and sing the chorus but it never happened.

Looking forward to a discussion on this song :)

Advertising

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,337 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 1,025 rep
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

:( :cry:

And other trilogy songs too..they are all "forgotten".. like Lazy bones..walk away (Billie played like 30 seconds at Leeds and never again)
Who knows why..

Because those songs, are songs, which are really emotional for Billie. Like Lazy Bones or Restless Heart Syndrome, I think we'll never hear those again.

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,799 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,806 rep

If they're making decisions based on album sales, they need to rethink things

• doworkson123123 likes this

19GreenAngel91

19GreenAngel91
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,088 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2012
  • 3,233 rep

Because those songs, are songs, which are really emotional for Billie. Like Lazy Bones or Restless Heart Syndrome, I think we'll never hear those again.

Yeah I know..and it's a pity cause those (Restless heart included)are my favourite Green Day songs.. so maybe is it the same for Dirty Rotten Bastards?? Maybe parts like: "next stop is theraphy" or the "Julianna Homicide makes my demons come to life" are hard to sing for Billie?

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,583 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,964 rep

This is extremely sad.  :cry:

I really thought it was going to be that one song to get everyone pumped up and singing along near the end of the set (and it would even work with a crowd that doesn't know the lyrics, so not selling enough is a stupid excuse, I need another explanation Green Day!)

Oh yeah you're right. Totally forgot about that till now..but still..
. The tour is over and it was never played :(

Btw they soundchecked it in Milan last May...

This is even worse, the bastards always play awesome songs at soundchecks and then totally ditch them for the actual shows!  :angry:

Joe Van Winkle

Joe Van Winkle
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined Dec 28, 2012
  • 15 rep

This is extremely sad.  :cry:
I really thought it was going to be that one song to get everyone pumped up and singing along near the end of the set (and it would even work with a crowd that doesn't know the lyrics, so not selling enough is a stupid excuse, I need another explanation Green Day!)

This is even worse, the bastards always play awesome songs at soundchecks and then totally ditch them for the actual shows!  :angry:

I can totally see how they would do it!

Yeeeaaaahhh! Yeaaahhh Yeahhhh!!!
SAY HEY OH!!!! C'MON!!!!
SAY HEY OH!!!!

Calling all demons this is the season....
By the way, does anyone have any video of the Milan soundcheck?

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• 16,097 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,599 rep

Dirty Rotten isn't a great song at all, but I'll admit it would be interesting to hear.

• Doctor of Pepper likes this

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,861 rep

I still really wish I could have heard Lazy Bones live, that song was simply wow.

!

!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012
  • 379 rep
The song makes no sense. Glad they didn't play it.

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,861 rep

The song makes no sense. Glad they didn't play it.

IT'S FUCKING GREAT MATE.

PleasedToMeetMe

PleasedToMeetMe
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Joined Aug 28, 2009
  • 207 rep

Dirty Rotten Bastards is a weird one for me. It starts off sounding like a sing along for pirates but when it picks up with the 'Juliana homicide, make my demons come to life', 'California's burnin' down' and that guitar solo, it's an orgasm for the ears. So good. Then it ends pretty weak.

beejeezee

beejeezee
  • Billie Joe's Bitch

• 12,643 posts
  • Joined Nov 29, 2010
  • 4,861 rep

Dirty Rotten Bastards is a weird one for me. It starts off sounding like a sing along for pirates but when it picks up with the 'Juliana homicide, make my demons come to life', 'California's burnin' down' and that guitar solo, it's an orgasm for the ears. So good. Then it ends pretty weak.

I really wish they had gone with the title Crushing Bastards. I feel like it all would have tied in better. That, and Crushinf Bastards is a killer name.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,533 rep

I really wish they had gone with the title Crushing Bastards. I feel like it all would have tied in better. That, and Crushinf Bastards is a killer name.

Crushing Bastards was Loss Of Control...

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,179 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 1,068 rep

If they're making decisions based on album sales, they need to rethink things

Not really. They're giving the audience, who are mostly casual fans, songs that they'd most like to hear. 

Ross_19

Ross_19
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2013
  • 139 rep
I'd love so much to see Billie singing that intro! Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,449 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,108 rep
When deciding on a set list they have a couple of hundred songs to choose from and can only pick a few. Dirty Rotten Bastards is one of the couple of hundred that they didn't pick. Boo hoo :P

Not really. They're giving the audience, who are mostly casual fans, songs that they'd most like to hear.

Just because Mike made that off hand comment about one song it doesn't mean that's how they pick their whole set list though. We don't even have any indication that they particularly like that song or particularly want to play it. Sounds like he was just being diplomatic and making an excuse for why they haven't played a song that someone likes yet. If they really wanted to play it they would.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Song of the Week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users