Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

So what you're saying is that there can never be a shit song because someone, somewhere might like it. That's complete bollocks.

Objectively, there is no shit song. Subjectively, very many are a fucking piece of shit. :lol:

Also they completely stole it off Hendrix but I'm still not sure if that was intentional or not.

I've listened to "Fire" a million times and I see no resemblance. Stop grasping at straws.

• Like 3

Well I already said I didn't like about them putting in "venus". In my opinion, I don't think I should have to look up part of the lyrics to a song to find out if there's some meaning behind one line.

Now that I think about it, what's the random "Hello" in the song for?

Well I think looking up the lyrics and trying to find hidden messages and metaphors is the best part of analyzing a song. You're able to emphatize with the songwriter and that process just makes the song yours .

• Like 2

I've listened to "Fire" a million times and I see no resemblance. Stop grasping at straws.

1. Verse guitar riff is the same progression. Even uses the same exact strum pattern
  2. Similar loose pounding drums driving the song along
  3. The subject matter of the songs are exactly the same. Shagging in a domestic setting.
  4. The chorus guitar on both songs is a picked blues riff instead of chords.
  5. The chorus of both songs is declaring sexual interest ("oh baby baby it's fuck time"/"let me stand next to your fire")

The only real difference is that Hendrix actually uses some pretty clever metaphors, whereas Billie Joe sounds like a horny dudebro.

1. Verse guitar riff is the same progression. Even uses the same exact strum pattern
  2. Similar loose pounding drums driving the song along
  3. The subject matter of the songs are exactly the same. Shagging in a domestic setting.
  4. The chorus guitar on both songs is a picked blues riff instead of chords.
  5. The chorus of both songs is declaring sexual interest ("oh baby baby it's fuck time"/"let me stand next to your fire")

The only real difference is that Hendrix actually uses some pretty clever metaphors, whereas Billie Joe sounds like a horny dudebro.

If you try hard enough, any song can sound like any other song.

• Like 2

Well I think looking up the lyrics and trying to find hidden messages and metaphors is the best part of analyzing a song. You're able to emphatize with the songwriter and that process just makes the song yours .

True, I'll give you that. I will admit, maybe I should have done more research, I'm no Crash Thompson the Rock Critic here. But I meant just one particular line. Not the whole song.

But hey, if you like this song, http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140919195121/walkingdead/images/7/77/That_s_cool.gif

If you try hard enough, any song can sound like any other song.

I didn't even have to try hard. The first two similarities on that list are incredible obvious. The sex thing could be a coincidence, but probably not when lumped in with the others.

But some people simply can't accept hard evidence, so whatever.

But seriously, what's the random "Hello" for in "Wild One"

Edited by Soviet Idiot
  • Like 1

I didn't even have to try hard. The first two similarities on that list are incredible obvious. The sex thing could be a coincidence, but probably not when lumped in with the others.

I've never heard you say a good thing about Green Day, and it makes me wonder sometimes what is the actual reason for you to be on these boards. :lol:

• Like 2

A subjective opinion about a song is as far from hard evidence as there is.

I've never heard you say a good thing about Green Day, and it makes me wonder sometimes what is the actual reason for you to be on these boards. :lol:

He has nothing better to do

To fill in an awkward pause.

• Like 2

True, I'll give you that. I will admit, maybe I should have done more research, I'm no Crash Thompson the Rock Critic here. But I meant just one particular line. Not the whole song.

But hey, if you like this song, http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140919195121/walkingdead/images/7/77/That_s_cool.gif

Not my favourite, but I do like it! Oh, and I can't come up with anything about the "Hello". Maybe it's just what it is, a simple way to hail someone.

Just like hello hello hello how low.

To be honest, no idea. :lol:

Green Day fans often mistake faux epic or obnoxious solo instrumentation for high quality instrumentation. For example, Stuck With Me, Stuart & The Ave. and half the songs on Insomniac piss all over Mike's bass work on Dirty Rotten Bastards, yet fans eat that shit up because "ZOMG HE PLAYED FAST". Same goes for Tré. Everyone knows the solo from JOS (and it's good, but not mindblowing), but absolutely no one rates songs like Reject or Haushinka that put more highly rated drummers to shame.

Or maybe it's a good thing that Green Day have the quality to cater to both types of fan. Even if the musically illiterate ones are annoying as fuck.

Less than 3 hours ago :P

Pretty sure it doesn't even answer my question and just blatantly states that you think I'm musically illiterate. Thanks.

A subjective opinion about a song is as far from hard evidence as there is.

No. Me being subjective is saying "that song sounds like this song". I gave you musical facts as to why the songs are very similar and you chose to ignore them because you're mentally deficient.

He has nothing better to do

The irony.

That wasn't so much a Green Day compliment rather than an attempt at invalidating other people's music interests and calling some fans annoying for not liking the same things you like. Hardly a positive post.

• Like 2

Pretty sure it doesn't even answer my question and just blatantly states that you think I'm musically illiterate. Thanks.

Well now you're just looking to be offended. Did you choose to not read the parts where I sang the praises of 5 Green Day songs and two of it's members?

That wasn't so much a Green Day compliment rather than an attempt at invalidating other people's music interests and calling some fans annoying for not liking the same things you like. Hardly a positive post.

No. Me being subjective is saying "that song sounds like this song". I gave you musical facts as to why the songs are very similar and you chose to ignore them because you're mentally deficient.

Those aren't musical "facts." They are statements of your opinion of what each part of the song sounds like and how it sounds like another song. That is subjective, as you defined it yourself.

Those aren't musical "facts." They are statements of your opinion of what each part of the song sounds like and how it sounds like another song. That is subjective, as you defined it yourself.

Okay m8. Live in your bubble.

Well now you're just looking to be offended. Did you choose to not read the parts where I sang the praises of 5 Green Day songs and two of it's members?

As DookieLukie said, hardly a positive post. As if you're only going to the extreme of praising the band in attempt to manipulate those words in order to demean others around here.

Pretty sure I have no use of getting offended, especially when I'm sure you're not aware at all whether I'm musically literate or not. It's just an over-generalized statement, trying to show that the author of it is certainly better than the rest of the peasants here.

• Like 1

As DookieLukie said, hardly a positive post. As if you're only going to the extreme of praising the band in attempt to manipulate those words in order to demean others around here.

Pretty sure I have no use of getting offended, especially when I'm sure you're not aware at all whether I'm musically literate or not. It's just an over-generalized statement, trying to show that the author of it is certainly better than the rest of the peasants here.

It doesn't matter if you're musically literate of not. Cumdog has preconceived notions that everyone here is dumber than him due to his extreme inner feeling of inadequacy. This is textbook jealousy, tbh.

• Like 1

It's just an over-generalized statement, trying to show that the author of it is certainly better than the rest of the peasants here.

As if that was ever in doubt :D

It doesn't matter if you're musically literate of not. Cumdog has preconceived notions that everyone here is dumber than him due to his extreme inner feeling of inadequacy. This is textbook jealousy, tbh.

Actually, I constantly second guess my intelligence. It's very irritating. But nice attempt at psychoanalysing me.

At least no matter how dumb I am, I'll always know that I'm smarter than you

Edited by Khaleesi.
don't be a dick.

• lizziebix featured this topic