Spike

Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Beerjeezus
18 minutes ago, Shtrudel said:

Since I want to make this relevant to the topic, I'll recycle an unpopular opinion, cause I can't think of something new: I don't like how vocals are mixed in most albums. Hearing the isolated vocal tracks - they sound awesome, but in the final mix, the mixing guy does all he can to suck all the energy our of Billie's performance.

Agreed. The vocal mixing is the thing that's off about all their releases this decade and makes everything sound flat and mellow.

Nightlife

So I read some theories that Green Day will release Cigarettes & Valentines (probably fueled by the whole 'the album was done and now is again' comment from Matt) and it made me realize, once again, just how uninterested I am in C&V. I don't know why, I feel like I should be interested and curious about it like everyone else seems to be but I'm just not. 

• Like 2

Beerjeezus
44 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

So I read some theories that Green Day will release Cigarettes & Valentines (probably fueled by the whole 'the album was done and now is again' comment from Matt) and it made me realize, once again, just how uninterested I am in C&V. I don't know why, I feel like I should be interested and curious about it like everyone else seems to be but I'm just not. 

I don't really care either because I assume it was scrapped for a reason.

One thing that would be a real embarrassment would be if they released a throwaway album from 20 years ago and it turned out to be better than the new one.

• Haha 1

Nightlife
4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't really care either because I assume it was scraped for a reason.

Exactly. It sometimes feels like I'm wrong in not caring though since 'everyone' seems so desperate for it. I don't even like the song C&V. 

• Like 1

DeJennsitized
13 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

I feel like we've already probably gotten a lot of material from that album, in the form of reworked later songs and when they performed the title track live. A tracklist or something would be cool but yeah, if they scrapped it for American Idiot I can't see them releasing it. 

• Like 2

Beerjeezus
21 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

Exactly. It sometimes feels like I'm wrong in not caring though since 'everyone' seems so desperate for it. I don't even like the song C&V. 

Same. It's an average song. Not bad, but I can see why they thought they could do better.

solongfromthestars

Cigarettes & Valentines doesn't interest me either. It was scrapped for a reason and I'm more intrigued by new material, or unheard songs they've mentioned briefly or just as "we recorded 80 songs we didn't use." Speculation that they'll finally release it comes up in every new era but it won't happen. I guess people are obsessed because we know (or are at least led to believe :P) it really exists and can't hear it, but if they chose to release it over an actual new album I'd be disappointed.

• Like 1

Christian's Inferno!

I like the song C&V but I assume that was one of the best tracks on the album, if not the best and most of the other ones have either been released, been reworked or aren't worth hearing. It would be cool to hear not just C&V songs but other unfinished or unrecorded tracks in the future but I'm not that interested in the C&V album either

Americanidiotsareidiots
Posted (edited)

1039/SOSH is a bad album. I like basically none of the songs. I am going to make people VERY mad about this because many people LOVE this album but I don't get it. I was very bored when I listened to it and I kinda wished I had listened to the original, 39/Smooth because that one doesn't have 19 songs on it! Worst album by them in my opinion. Many people say that the trilogy is their worst but I actually loved the trilogy! At least I can thank 1039/SOSH for one thing... It helped me fall asleep... (That was a joke if you couldn't tell, I didn't hate it THAT much that I fell asleep while listening to it.) But seriously, I thank 1039/SOSH for that awesome Operation Ivy Knowledge cover! I love that cover! Please don't kill me.

Edited by Americanidiotsareidiots

kaylubd

I'm also not the biggest fan of Green Day's first two albums, but I can't say I hate them. They're not something I would listen to front to back, but each has a handful of good songs I still enjoy.

Christian's Inferno!

They aren't great but they're not bad. I'd give them a chance cause they have some good stuff, particularly Kerplunk. It does puzzle me when people say Kerplunk is better than Dookie though but hey, to each their own

• Like 1

pacejunkie punk
16 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

They aren't great but they're not bad. I'd give them a chance cause they have some good stuff, particularly Kerplunk. It does puzzle me when people say Kerplunk is better than Dookie though but hey, to each their own

I enjoy Kerplunk more because the songs have not been as overplayed. 

• Like 1

Americanidiotsareidiots

I love Kerplunk! 

Clockwise

I just genuinely think Kerplunk has better songwriting than Dookie. Like come on, One For The Razorbacks, No One Knows, Words I Might Have Ate. I feel like those songs are light years (lol) ahead of any song on Dookie. I get why Dookie was the hit, it's a low stakes shot of punk adrenaline and it's fun as hell. But to me Kerplunk is the band proving themselves as songwriters.

MillenniumFan

I'm not sure I'd necessarily put Kerplunk above Dookie in terms of songwriting, since I think Dookie is just a better album all-round. That being said, I do think Kerplunk was severely let down by its production and in part, sloppier playing and lower quality recordings.

Its strong-point is definitely the songwriting itself, which was already MILES ahead of anything released previously and there are definitely some true gems on that album. But in the end, I think Dookie was their big break for a reason. Tre's playing was just that vital bit tighter, the guitars were made to sound crunchy and huge, the song-writing was further fine-tuned, but most importantly, the production (recording, mixing, mastering etc) was great and gave it the last boost it needed. 

• Like 1

SnaggletoothRecords
1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

I just genuinely think Kerplunk has better songwriting than Dookie. Like come on, One For The Razorbacks, No One Knows, Words I Might Have Ate. I feel like those songs are light years (lol) ahead of any song on Dookie. I get why Dookie was the hit, it's a low stakes shot of punk adrenaline and it's fun as hell. But to me Kerplunk is the band proving themselves as songwriters.

1 hour ago, MillenniumFan said:

I'm not sure I'd necessarily put Kerplunk above Dookie in terms of songwriting, since I think Dookie is just a better album all-round. That being said, I do think Kerplunk was severely let down by its production and in part, sloppier playing and lower quality recordings.

Its strong-point is definitely the songwriting itself, which was already MILES ahead of anything released previously and there are definitely some true gems on that album. But in the end, I think Dookie was their big break for a reason. Tre's playing was just that vital bit tighter, the guitars were made to sound crunchy and huge, the song-writing was further fine-tuned, but most importantly, the production (recording, mixing, mastering etc) was great and gave it the last boost it needed. 

Just to chime in, first off we have no Dookie without Kerplunk! The album really is the first defining moment for Green Day and it seems like they had really found their identity on Kerplunk! Kerplunk! has great songwriting but it's more of a punk effort I would say. It was released independently with low cost production and there's a ton of energy on the record. If I had to compare what they were doing on the album to another band I'd probably say it's similar to The Buzzcocks. 

Dookie is different and although it's still very much a punk rock record there's still moments on the album that very much make it a big rock record too. Between '87-95 if you threw the Longview bassline at any major label rock band they'd all take it. That bassline is not something you'd get on Kerplunk!

When I Come Around is somewhat of a departure as well. It's a very unique song and while it holds rhythmic roots in punk rock it's a fusion with other styles as well. You also see some fusion with Pulling Teeth and Sassafras Roots. I would have to say both albums are Top 5 albums for me. Although I'd say Kerplunk! loaded the bases for Dookie to hit the grandslam. 

I think I may have stated on here before I really believe these two albums are the closest two albums in their discography. Like if you had to pick 2 albums that would become siblings these 2 would be the ones. Although I'd have to say after these two AI and 21cb have that dynamic as well. 

• Like 2

pacejunkie punk
15 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Although I'd say Kerplunk! loaded the bases for Dookie to hit the grandslam. 

I love this 💚 Perfect.

• Like 1

Wretched & Divine

:lol: We should make some of those tier lists for all studio albums and then we'd see what's a popular opinion or not. I did mine a while back 😬

• Like 3

SnaggletoothRecords
17 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think the first album/EPs (and Kerplunk too really) grow on you. When I first listened to the early stuff the lower recording quality was very noticeable and jarring compared to the high quality production of the later stuff and it distracted from everything else about the songs and didn't sound good. Plus the songs are rather simple so they sounded quite samey at first. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to listen to it as much as later albums. But with repeated listens I stopped noticing the difference in recording quality, and I started to notice the good stuff about the songs and nuances between them instead and grew to love them. I think there's some really good music and lyrics there, cute and heartfelt love songs, some very thoughtful stuff for such young kids on songs like 16 or Road to Acceptance, and some really nice riffs and guitar solos.

I never really had that reaction with the production on those records. At the time I got into that stuff there was a huge wait period because there was some dispute with Lookout records. 

Before I actually downloaded the tracks I actually saw the songs being played in those old live videos between 1990-1993 so I could already sing along to the songs and I just came to expect lower quality from the songs at that time. Not to mention I also was listening to Operation Ivy too so I just got used to the whole Lookout Records sound and vibe. 

I remember those reissues were two of the most anticipated albums of the year for my group of friends at the time. We had a blast first spinning the 1039 compilation for the first time. 

• Like 2

Hermione
6 hours ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I never really had that reaction with the production on those records. At the time I got into that stuff there was a huge wait period because there was some dispute with Lookout records. 

Before I actually downloaded the tracks I actually saw the songs being played in those old live videos between 1990-1993 so I could already sing along to the songs and I just came to expect lower quality from the songs at that time. Not to mention I also was listening to Operation Ivy too so I just got used to the whole Lookout Records sound and vibe. 

I remember those reissues were two of the most anticipated albums of the year for my group of friends at the time. We had a blast first spinning the 1039 compilation for the first time. 

I'd never heard the old stuff before at all, not even live footage, the only contact with "old" Green Day I'd had was reading some quoted lyrics in a biography. Didn't have the internet yet and I was just buying all the albums one after the other when I could find them. So when I got to Kerplunk although I was very happy to hear it (I love lyrics and I will overlook a lot to hear good ones - also I was amazed to even find it) the quality really sounded bad compared to the newer albums, and then the same again with 1039/SOSH. 

Didn't take long to get used to it though, I soon stopped noticing/being distracted by it. Also 1039 was how I first saw/heard early Green Day live footage! Had a CD rom included, it was awesome.

• Like 1

SnaggletoothRecords
18 hours ago, Hermione said:

Also 1039 was how I first saw/heard early Green Day live footage! Had a CD rom included, it was awesome.

I totally forgot about the little bonuses that were on some of the releases back then haha 

I'm pretty sure American Idiot also had ringtones as a bonus on the disc around that time