Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

7 hours ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I agree. It's way too generic lyrically. This is just an assumption, I haven't discussed it with anyone outside the fandom - I think it seems so emotional because people connect it with all the hardships the band went through, but if you look at it on its own, it's just a song with quite generic and frankly sort of clichéd lyrics. I do enjoy it because I it has a wonderful melody, but it doesn't do much for me. 

I like Outlaws though. 

I love Outlaws... My eyes always well with tears at the last verse, 'Cause it's so sad. I prolly like it so much 'cause it's so relatable... Whatever! An Irrelevant story for another time...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Redundancy.Scattered said:

I love Outlaws... My eyes always well with tears at the last verse, 'Cause it's so sad. I prolly like it so much 'cause it's so relatable... Whatever! An Irrelevant story for another time...

I agree! It's a fantastic song and the ending is GRAND 

• Thanks 1

I'm not a huge fan of Still Breathing, although I do love some of the lyrics. I actually prefer it live because Billie puts so much passion and emotion into it, which I think is difficult to portray in a recording. And although he does struggle with some of it, when he get's it right, it sounds beautiful.:wub:

With Outlaws, I didn't like it originally and I'm not such a huge fan now either, but I can feel it growing on me very very slowly.

Brutal Love - I love the recording, and I love it live even more. It's my favourite live GD song (alongside Forever Now).

I like Billie's voice on both the recording and live 21 Guns. I feel like the falsetto fits nicely on the recording because it's like a nice, quiet song. I think the big note fits better live because I like live shows to be loud and powerful.

• Like 1

SB is difficult for me to listen to live. It just sounds like Billie is trying really hard and it just sounds off. Forever Now is definitely the best live song from RevRad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

SB is difficult for me to listen to live. It just sounds like Billie is trying really hard and it just sounds off. Forever Now is definitely the best live song from RevRad.

I would add Bang Bang to that short list of awesome.

• Like 1

Still Breathing live to me is like Stray Heart live when I saw them at SxSW he sounded awful during that song some parts sounded like he didn’t even know how to sing and seeing YouTube of other performances and none of them sounded improved at all these 2 songs are the first he doesn’t seem to be able to sing live 

Just now, WhiteTim said:

Still Breathing live to me is like Stray Heart live when I saw them at SxSW he sounded awful during that song some parts sounded like he didn’t even know how to sing and seeing YouTube of other performances and none of them sounded improved at all these 2 songs are the first he doesn’t seem to be able to sing live 

It seems to be true but I wonder why that is when he wrote them and can sing them fine in the studio. Why would you write a song for yourself that you can’t sing? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Well Stray Heart is a trilogy song and his vocals in general weren't as good in 2012. And I don't think that has been performed since the trilogy era so we don't know if it'd be better if he sang it now.

14 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It seems to be true but I wonder why that is when he wrote them and can sing them fine in the studio. Why would you write a song for yourself that you can’t sing? 

Well, some bands are just bad live and even though GD aren't one of those bands, some songs are just gonna be harder for them to sing live. At least they're actually good live. And I think he can sing the songs, but if a song is difficult to sing and quite late in a setlist, it's not going to be the best live performance. Even in those TV performances of SB, usually Billie performs other songs that aren't televised. It's not usually the only song they play.

There's a YouTube video of Restless Heart Syndrome live (which they only performed a few times when they performed the entire album) and at parts, he sounds really bad. RHS is also quite late into the tracklisting of 21CB too which would partially explain that. And I'd consider the 21CB era one of the eras where Billie's vocals were strongest

16 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I would add Bang Bang to that short list of awesome.

Yeah BB is good too. Not as great as FN live though

• Like 1

I think the problem with Still Breathing is that they played it very late in the setlist and Billie already sounds a little exhausted and out of breath, especially because it comes right after King for a day. I loved it live the 5 times I saw it nevertheless and I feel save to say that it's my favorite Green Day song. I relate to it more than to any other song before, so that's my unpopular opinion :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kuromignonne said:

This :wub:

I agree too, and I relate extremely deep with that song. The story is never the same, but the feelings it awakes in me... gosh.

I personally love Still Breathing especially the way Billie sings it live, quite more than the album version, which didn't make me go that deep in the song immediately. The imperfection and effort Billie shows when singing it is, I don't know, all the song is about... extreme vulnerability, getting to the deepest of yourself, putting all barricade down, and that way connecting with your truth.

While every line in the song touches me a lot, nothing to me goes beyond "I'm still breathing on my own" which is the most pure thing I've ever heard. I don't know how to express it in other terms.

Ironically, when I first witnessed Still Breathing live, and even the next times, I had my breath cut by an overwhelming emotion the whole time. I think it's a song that is made for being performed live. And yeah it's literally my favorite song.

That’s good it is a great song I’ve only seen it on tv and YouTube as I skipped the Houston show so the way it sung live seems more off but I’d probably have a different reaction actually in the room with the band live as opposed to listening on a phone or tv 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

I personally love Still Breathing especially the way Billie sings it live, quite more than the album version, which didn't make me go that deep in the song immediately. The imperfection and effort Billie shows when singing it is, I don't know, all the song is about... extreme vulnerability, getting to the deepest of yourself, putting all barricade down, and that way connecting with your truth.

While every line in the song touches me a lot, nothing to me goes beyond "I'm still breathing on my own" which is the most pure thing I've ever heard. I don't know how to express it in other terms.

Ironically, when I first witnessed Still Breathing live, and even the next times, I had my breath cut by an overwhelming emotion the whole time. I think it's a song that is made for being performed live. And yeah it's literally my favorite song.

That is an excellent way of describing the song. I agree 100%

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thatsername said:

This :wub: I always thought that Still Breathing isn't a song that's meant to be heard, it's a song that's meant to be felt. And you either feel it or not, I think it's as simple as that.

Definitely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

At a show, it's more painful to get through Hitchin' A Ride than King For A Day. #1234

I don’t disagree. That song came up on my shuffle yesterday and I was actually thinking something similar. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I don’t disagree. That song came up on my shuffle yesterday and I was actually thinking something similar. 

Yeah, I had the bootleg from The Newport come up on my shuffle the other day and I was just getting annoyed that nothing happens for a good five minutes.

1 hour ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

At a show, it's more painful to get through Hitchin' A Ride than King For A Day. #1234

Literally the two highlights of the show :lol:. I like Hitchin A Ride because Billie's antics change so much depending on what mood he's in. Will he be saucy and moan in to the mic, will he be silly and get the crowd singing along to a classical tune? Will he do a ridiculous squeaky voice? Who knows :D. Also the climax of the song after the messing around is epic.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Yeah, I had the bootleg from The Newport come up on my shuffle the other day and I was just getting annoyed that nothing happens for a good five minutes.

You hear all you need to hear before his scripted ranting even starts tbh. They should just cut that and everything after it, if not the entire song. 

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Literally the two highlights of the show :lol:. I like Hitchin A Ride because Billie's antics change so much depending on what mood he's in. Will he be saucy and moan in to the mic, will he be silly and get the crowd singing along to a classical tune? Will he do a ridiculous squeaky voice? Who knows :D. Also the climax of the song after the messing around is epic.

Ha! When Billie sits down and literally does nothing is where I reach my breaking point.

3 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

You hear all you need to hear before his scripted ranting even starts tbh. They should just cut that and everything after it, if not the entire song. 

"Now you sound like you're fucking ready!"

6 minutes ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Ha! When Billie sits down and literally does nothing is where I reach my breaking point.

"Now you sound like you're fucking ready!"

He's teasing though! I love it :lol: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Two of my highlights too.  Plus, a good portion of the audience is at their first Green Day show, so it's brand new to them.

• Like 3