Blasphemy & Genocide: Unpopular Green Day Opinions, Part 2

Spike

Ok so this isn't about Green Day per say but it is about the concert....I didn't like Against Me. What did you guys think of them?

Maybe it's because I was so excited to see Green Day that I just wanted their set to be over with. But really I couldn't understand any lyrics and the songs all sounded the same to me. I wasn't impressed. Others opinions?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

Ok so this isn't about Green Day per say but it is about the concert....I didn't like Against Me. What did you guys think of them?

Maybe it's because I was so excited to see Green Day that I just wanted their set to be over with. But really I couldn't understand any lyrics and the songs all sounded the same to me. I wasn't impressed. Others opinions?

AM are my favorite band! I thought they were absolutely incredible when I saw them. Their set had so much energy, I absolutely adore them lol. The only band I saw that was good as them/comparable were Green Day. 

I do agree that Laura is hard to understand, however the lyrics she writes are great. 

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

AM are my favorite band! I thought they were absolutely incredible when I saw them. Their set had so much energy, I absolutely adore them lol. The only band I saw that was good as them/comparable were Green Day. 

I do agree that Laura is hard to understand, however the lyrics she writes are great. 

Wait.....that was a girl? :shok: Apparently I know nothing about that band. :confused:

I liked Against Me! set even if I only knew two songs, but the sound wasn't really good. It was kind of muddy(?) and I couldn't hear what Laura was singing or saying. I was scared it was because of the venue's sound system and that I would have to endure this for Green Day's full set, but happily, it wasn't the case.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

Wait.....that was a girl? :shok: Apparently I know nothing about that band. :confused:

She is transgender.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, belinda jane said:

She is transgender.

Oh ok. I didn't know that. I guess I need to do more research. That's cool. No hate against her. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

I really wanted to like them, being from Gainesville and all, but I couldn't get into them at all. Sound was muddy, kick drum and bass were way too loud, and sadly that made everything sound the same.  But ultimately,  I just wanted them to hurry up so we could get to Bohemian Rhapsody.  Honestly I feel sorry for any band opening for Green Day when I'm in the audience -- just want to see my boys. 

• Like 2

I would've preferred Against Me to The Interrupters. The singing/musicianship was good and they had loads of energy but wow did those ska songs all sound the same and have nothing particularly interesting about them. Also when they suggested making circle pits it was like lol I don't think so, you do realize staying in a good position for Green Day is everyone's priority don't you :P. Still grateful it wasn't Frank Turner again though.

• Like 3

It sounds like Green Day is doing a great job of picking opening acts.  The main rule, never have an opening act that is better than the headliner. 

9 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I didn't like against me either. It was just noise to me

I can look past the dislike for Biffy Clyro but this is so wrong I can only try to cover it up by blasting Against Me! loud enough. 

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

I can look past the dislike for Biffy Clyro but this is so wrong I can only try to cover it up by blasting Against Me! loud enough. 

Sorry dear.  I know nothing about them.  I went to the concert with an open mind, but they were just not good in concert.  You couldn't understand a single thing she sang and the instruments were just loud and distorted and I don't mean good distorted.  It was just not good.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

It sounds like Green Day is doing a great job of picking opening acts.  The main rule, never have an opening act that is better than the headliner. 

Actually, I don't think so. Audiences seem to be extremely uninterested in the opening acts and that's one giant bummer, especially when you're watching from the perspective of someone who likes those bands. I've never seen the same level of ignorace before. I think people who go see Green Day would prefer a worse pop-punk band over great ska or punk (which I consider am and the interrupters to be), simply because that music would be easier to get into. I wonder how their crowds will react to Rancid. 

2 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Sorry dear.  I know nothing about them.  I went to the concert with an open mind, but they were just not good in concert.  You couldn't understand a single thing she sang and the instruments were just loud and distorted and I don't mean good distorted.  It was just not good.   

It's ok, I was just joking. I can't really judge this properly anyway because I haven't been to any of these shows. Obviously the experience you all had was very different from mine. 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Actually, I don't think so. Audiences seem to be extremely uninterested in the opening acts and that's one giant bummer, especially when you're watching from the perspective of someone who likes those bands. I've never seen the same level of ignorace before. I think people who go see Green Day would prefer a worse pop-punk band over great ska or punk (which I consider am and the interrupters to be), simply because that music would be easier to get into. I wonder how will their crowds react to Rancid. 

It's ok, I was just joking. I can't really judge this properly anyway because I haven't been to any of these shows. Obviously the experience you all had was very different from mine. 

Actually, I disagree with you on this.  A headliner should never have an opening act better than they are.  If the opening act is really good, there will be some interest, even if people haven't heard of them.  I've been to several concerts like that and it definitely ruins the headliner.  You are coming off a high from a great opener and if the headliner isn't as good it is a big disappointment.  

I know you were joking.  I really wanted to like them, really.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Actually, I disagree with you on this.  A headliner should never have an opening act better than they are.  If the opening act is really good, there will be some interest, even if people haven't heard of them.  I've been to several concerts like that and it definitely ruins the headliner.  You are coming off a high from a great opener and if the headliner isn't as good it is a big disappointment.  

They don't have to be better than they are (and it's Green Day so whoever it was it's unlikely they would be), but they could still be good :P. Seeing a good/interesting opener puts me in a better mood for Green Day than one where I'm just waiting for it to end.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hermione said:

They don't have to be better than they are (and it's Green Day so whoever it was it's unlikely they would be), but they could still be good :P. Seeing a good/interesting opener puts me in a better mood for Green Day than one where I'm just waiting for it to end.

I'm really not sure how your comments related to mine, they were actually totally different subjects.  But, I do agree with you.  HOwever, Against Me didn't accomplish that. 

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I see what you mean and I do agree with that but personally I find it important that openers get the crowd going. Standing in a crowd or bored people and drinking beer for an hour isn't the greatest moodsetter for me. 

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

I see what you mean and I do agree with that but personally I find it important that openers get the crowd going. Standing in a crowd or bored people and drinking beer for an hour isn't the greatest moodsetter for me. 

No I agree 100% with that.   I will use a real example.  I actually like some country music, don't judge me.  Years ago I went to see a guy who was a very popular country singer, named Clint Black (phenominal voice, but I digress).  Anyway, his opening act was a band called The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  I had never heard of them before and it was one of hte best concerts of my life.  They had the entire crowd on their feet the entire set, which was long for an opening act, about an hour.  Halfway through Clint Blacks set, alot of the audience started to elave.  It wasn't that he was bad, it was that he was bad compared to The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  To this day, I have NGDB on my playlist and no Clint Black.  It actually ruined what I saw in Clint Black.  That was what I was trying to point out. 

• Like 1

There's definitely a sweet spot for support bands to hit.  If they're not good, they won't help get people in the mood for the headliner and the fans won't engage with them at all - not good for either band.  But if they're too good, it can make the headliner seem underwhelming - that may be good for the support, but shows that the headliner have picked poorly as ultimately the support is meant to boost them on tour, not take away from them.  I had this recently when I saw Pierce The Veil supported by Creeper and Letlive - PTV put on an absolutely amazing set by most standards, but I just never quite got fully into it because Creeper, for me, absolutely stole the show.  I know a lot of Creeper fans who actually left the show after the support.  Yeah, that's testament to a great support band and a great thing for Creeper, but it didn't really work out for PTV who I struggled to enjoy as much as I normally would.  I reckon the optimum point for a support band is one where the audience aren't singing along, but they equally aren't talking over the band.  They should be a band you bob your head to and casually dance around, and sing a couple of lines of chorus or their one famous song.

As a side note, I'm quite excited to see against me!, despite what I've heard here.

Edit: I hit submit post by accident

• Like 3

For me, even if an opener is good, I want them to get off stage so I can see who I paid for :lol: I've actually been surprised how many opening bands have been good. Ones like Dead Sara, Night Riots, Joywave, and The Hunna I still listen to!

1 hour ago, Second favourite son said:

There's definitely a sweet spot for support bands to hit.  If they're not good, they won't help get people in the mood for the headliner and the fans won't engage with them at all - not good for either band.  But if they're too good, it can make the headliner seem underwhelming - that may be good for the support, but shows that the headliner have picked poorly as ultimately the support is meant to boost them on tour, not take away from them.  I had this recently when I saw Pierce The Veil supported by Creeper and Letlive - PTV put on an absolutely amazing set by most standards, but I just never quite got fully into it because Creeper, for me, absolutely stole the show.  I know a lot of Creeper fans who actually left the show after the support.  Yeah, that's testament to a great support band and a great thing for Creeper, but it didn't really work out for PTV who I struggled to enjoy as much as I normally would.  I reckon the optimum point for a support band is one where the audience aren't singing along, but they equally aren't talking over the band.  They should be a band you bob your head to and casually dance around, and sing a couple of lines of chorus or their one famous song.

As a side note, I'm quite excited to see against me!, despite what I've heard here.

Edit: I hit submit post by accident

This is exactly what I was trying to say, you just did it more eloquently.

• Like 2

They could definitely have a more well known opener and it wouldn't take away from their show, they can put 98% of bands to shame to be honest. A band you don't care much about gives you more time to prepare for Green Day though and gives a younger band that awesome opportunity. Against Me has done a great job!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

No I agree 100% with that.   I will use a real example.  I actually like some country music, don't judge me.  Years ago I went to see a guy who was a very popular country singer, named Clint Black (phenominal voice, but I digress).  Anyway, his opening act was a band called The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  I had never heard of them before and it was one of hte best concerts of my life.  They had the entire crowd on their feet the entire set, which was long for an opening act, about an hour.  Halfway through Clint Blacks set, alot of the audience started to elave.  It wasn't that he was bad, it was that he was bad compared to The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  To this day, I have NGDB on my playlist and no Clint Black.  It actually ruined what I saw in Clint Black.  That was what I was trying to point out. 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think James nailed it. I actually agree with you both. 

(I wonder how I'd feel about seeing two bands that I'm equally into one after another. I mean, I'd still donate a less important organ to see Against Me and Green Day in one night, despite everything you all say :lol:.)

Btw, I think some country is really good. 

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think James nailed it. I actually agree with you both. 

(I wonder how I'd feel about seeing two bands that I'm equally into one after another. I mean, I'd still donate a less important organ to see Against Me and Green Day in one night, despite everything you all say :lol:.)

Btw, I think some country is really good. 

Yes, James did a much better job than I did.  

Well I hope someday you get to see Against Me and GD together.  You would appreciate it.

Yes, some country is very good, some is shite, just like all music.

• Like 1

• lizziebix featured this topic